• Published 20th Aug 2012
  • 14,078 Views, 633 Comments

Mission: Improbable - The card holder



A certain handsome rogue lives in plain sight in Equestria, with no one the wiser.

  • ...
30
 633
 14,078

Prologue

Some time has passed since the changeling invasion of Canterlot. Five weeks, to be exact.

"I'm heading off to work, Lyra!"

In that time, stray changelings have been discovered hiding amongst the population, for various reasons.

"Alright, I'll stay here. I gotta practice on my lyre for tomorrow, after all!"

All of the discovered changelings were summarily dealt with, but most ponies stay on edge, anyway.

"I'm happy you were invited to play at the Gala, but I still don't know why you were picked. You're not a changeling, are you?"

Still, things have returned to normal, for the most part. Life goes on...

"Of course not, you know that!"

But, even in this time of uneventful peace...

"Alright, then, I'll see you later today!"

There are some strange things happening...

"Bye, Bon-Bon!"

And sometimes, these things are hidden in plain sight.


After Bon-Bon left the house, Lyra started heading to her room. Just as she got to the bottom of the stairs, however, there was a knock at the door. The green unicorn heads back, opening the door. Standing there is Derpy, the town's mailmare, but something seemed off about her. She was shaking a bit, and her face held a forced-looking smile. But most worryingly of all, her normally skewed eyes were actually straight.

"Derpy? Are you alright?"

"Y- Yeah, Lyra, I'm just f-fine." She didn't stop shaking, and Lyra was worried.

"Would you like to come inside?"

"S- Sure, that would be good." As Derpy walked into the house behind Lyra, the unicorn started towards the kitchen.

"Would you like anything to eat, Derpy?"

The grey pegasus pauses before answering. "Y- Yes, I am very hungry."

When Derpy's voice changed mid-sentence, Lyra whirled around just in time to see the pegasus lunge at her, revealing herself to be a changeling in mid-air. It had been starved of love for the past week, and it was desperate enough to take a more direct approach to feeding.

After only the first bite into her neck, Lyra was gone.

As the changeling continued trying to feed, there was a loud electronic noise behind it as a second Lyra faded into the room. The changeling paid the noise no mind, however. The second Lyra is enveloped in a reddish cloud of smoke, lasting for a couple of seconds. When the smoke dissipates, a red-suited masked figure is standing in Lyra's place. silently, he takes out a revolver from his suit. He walks behind the changeling and places the barrel to the back of its head, causing it to stop moving.

"You know," the masked man speaks in a thick French accent, "if you want to have a career in deception..."

He pulls back the hammer of the revolver.

"...you need to work on your technique in Hell."

BANG