• Published 24th Dec 2019
  • 528 Views, 1 Comments

Knight of Hearth's Warming - Trigger_Finger



During Hearth's Warming Eve, your friends show you that joining in the festivities isn't that bad.

  • ...
2
 1
 528

Hearth's Warming Eve

You sit idly, eyes closed, the world around you completely void from your senses save for one particular, most regal voice. Your legs are crossed, hands held in front of you at waist level, palms facing one another and but a mere few inches apart.

Good,” Luna speaks, her voice invading your peace and tranquility. Her voice and spirit had possessed your mind ever since you picked up and began to wield the mystic sword all those months ago when you had helped Celestia finally defeat Nightmare Moon and end her regime.

Luna's mental possession of you was a double bladed sword so to speak. She helped you with your meditations and swordsmanship, making you into one of the fiercest and most profound sword wielders in all the lands, along with one of the most magically inept as well. On the other hand though, her spirit having been trapped away for so long inside the sword, she constantly pestered you to walk around and interact with the world so she could see what the world had become since she had been away, all the new sights, new tastes and new cultures. She also disrupted your sleep more often than not, wanting to know more about yourself.

Fortunately enough, you were short on memory ever since you arrived to this world that fateful night. That's the most distant memory you have, which doesn't satisfy the spirit's desire to learn more about you and still she persists to find out more about your past and who you are, since you now share your body with her though not by choice.

You feel the magic begin to pool in a sphere between your palms and your focus sharpens, the magic becoming stronger by the second. Still, everything around you remained void of thought, the only focus being on that of the magic sphere of energy you were weaving and Luna's voice.

“Very good, now-” her voice was cut off by a shattering crash.

Startled and spooked out of your meditation, you jump straight up from your sitting position. Several items that had been levitating around you during your meditation come crashing down to the floor, your glass lamp in particular smashing into pieces as it struck the floor but you pay it no mind as you hear another destructive crash come from upstairs in the treehouse.

Your mind slips away for a moment as you think about the house. After saving Equestria from Nightmare Moon, Celestia had regained control of the region. Shortly there after you had departed Canterlot with Lassie, but were almost immediately accompanied by the young teenage Princess Cadance, whom had a insatiable desire to adventure and explore outside the city limits.

With no place to really call home, the three of you drifted for a few months until her Aunt, Celestia, suggested purchasing a small home in the town of Ponyville, not far from Canterlot. The three of you pooled your funds together and purchased the giant oak tree home though in the end found this decision to be slightly regrettable as in doing so the three of you became the rightful owners of the only library in town.

At first you considered simply shutting down the library but Cadance seemed to have other plans, convincing you otherwise and instead having a grand re-opening of the library...

You burst into the main room of the library, another shelf coming crashing down just as you arrive. Your eyes quickly close as your arms reach out, palms open and facing the ceiling. Your body tenses and you can feel your magical grasp grip the massive falling shelf of books, the books themselves also caught into your magical hold.

Everything becomes tranquil, the air still, not a single sound emitted as you begin to move your hands in a calm manner, magically manipulating the massive shelf back into place, the books slowly and most perfectly being placed in their proper spots. Your hands move in a slow motion, guiding the force of magic that is putting everything back into place.

Just as everything is about to be settled, a mass flies into you, snapping your concentration and plowing you into the floor with a crash that is muffled by the sound of the shelf you had been levitating that comes crashing back down.

You grunt out a huff as the grey pegasus, bundled and wrapped in tinsel, struggles atop of you. “I'm so sorry!” she announces. “I just... just don't know what went wrong!” she announces. You sigh as you stand up, helping the wrapped pegasus to her hooves.

With how much Cadance, Lassie and yourself adventure, and the fact Cadance had re-opened the library, the three of you concluded the library would need a lead assistant... though perhaps the dopey eyed local mailpony was not the most ideal choice, though given her loving and most innocent nature, you couldn't muster the gut to fire her.

The front door swings open, both Cadance and Lassie rush in with worried looks, your canine companion speaking first. “Woah... this place is a disaster! What the hay happened?” she asks and you let out a sigh, pointing to Derpy without looking.

The mailpony quickly piped up. “I... I tried... I really did. But when I was unspooling the tinsel... it just starting... coming, and coming... and coming. I tried to stop it, I did, but... there was just so much of it...” You place a hand over your face. You had no idea how on earth all this occurred because she was unspooling tinsel but you didn't have the slightest desire to ask.

“It's okay Derpy,” Cadance says in a loving voice. “We'll get you all unwrapped in no time. It's no problem, it really isn't,” she assures the distraughten mailpony who beams a smile in return.

It's at this moment you realize the rather foalish costume both Lassie and Cadance are wearing. “What... are you wearing?” you ask in a bland tone.

Cadance is the first to speak. “Well, since it's the holidays, I figured I'd dress up as Hearth,” she says as you give her a once over. She has a crystal white, shining dress on, with the cotton at the base of the dress looking almost like snow. Her mane has been dyed white... either that or it's a very convincing wig.

Lassie pipes up. “And I'm her lead Reindeer, Adolphin!” Your face goes pale. She's wearing some kind of fuzzy brown onesie, a pair of reindeer antlers on her head and a little red mustache just beneath her nose.

“Guh... uhm... your uhh...” you say with a pale expression, rubbing just under your own nose. Her ears perk and she reaches for her mustache then gasps.

“Ahhh shoot. The mustache slipped down again,” she says as she adjust the red onto her nose and you let out a deep sigh of relief. Cadance's horn glows and the tinsel is taken off Derpy, who then shakes like a dog.

The four of you look to the immense mess of the main floor. Derpy shrieks out in panic. “Oh no! OH NO, OH NOOHNOOHNOOHNO!” She cries out as she rushes over to the tree that had been toppled over and crushed to death.

Cadance, Lassie and yourself walk over to Derpy who tried in vain to put the tree back up but it was totally mangled beyond fixing. “I... I was just trying to help... and now... NOW HEARTH'S WARMING IS RUINED!” she wailed out in tears and you raise a brow.

Cadance however, kneels beside her. “Don't worry Derpy,” she assures the distraughten pegasi. She tells her it'll be okay and that you'll go out and cut down a new tree for Hearth's Warming Eve.

“Wait what?” you ask and she looks to you, raising a brow and repeating that she's sure you wouldn't mind doing that, it is the holidays after all. “Can't I just go buy one? From the tree farm?” you ask. Your not the most festive person and would rather be done with it sooner rather than later.

She stands up and explains to you that wouldn't be in the festive spirit and that it would be a really nice gesture. “Okay... okay, I'll go... cut down a tree,” you say, forcing a smile but letting out a sigh as you make for the door. Quickly slipping on your boots and long worn out overcoat, you swiftly sling your sword across your back and make haste.

The winter was fairly mild in temperature though there was still roughly six inches of soft, fluffy snow that littered the ground. Ponies traversed the streets, some of them caroling merrily as they made their way along.

As you walk through the streets, you accidentally bump into a white unicorn mare while walking along rather quickly, knocking her cloth material from her magical grip. You gasp and grab hold of the mare so she isn't knocked into the snow as well. “Oh, Rarity. My apologies!” you say in a rush as the beautiful mare repostures herself, yourself quickly scooping up all her material for her.

“Oh darling, it's no worries at all,” she assures you, though you still insist on at least helping carry her material as form of apology for knocking down her things. She ponders the thought for a moment then smiles brightly and replies that she would enjoy the help.

The two of you stroll through town, exchanging stories of past and present. She turns to you and asks what exactly has you out and about on Hearth's Warming Eve of all days. “Ugh... Derpy destroyed the tree,” you laugh. “And now her and Cadance want a new one so I've been commissioned to retrieve one but I'm not allowed to just buy one from the tree farm,” you comment and she giggles as the two of you near her boutique.

“Oh what I'd give for a strapping young stallion like yourself to be my assistant,” she remarks and you raise a brow as she opens the door to her boutique.

“I'm the part owner of the library, not the assistant... and I'm not a stallion,” you comment back, a faint blush goes across her cheeks as she turns and points to a nearby sewing table. You set the fabric down and turn to her as she looks over some of her sewing equipment.

“Well, irregardless darling, I am forever grateful of your assistance, and perhaps I can indeed reward you,” she says and you quickly shrug it off before she offers.

“Oh, it's okay Rarity,” you tell her. “I bumped into you. It's the least I can do.” She waves her hoof.

“Nonsense darling, nonsense,” she mentions as she wraps her hoof around your hand and leads you towards a window, pulling you down so your eye level with her line of sight. Pointing with her left hoof out the window she begins to speak. “Do you see the distant horizon, just past the property line of Sweet Apple Acres?” she asks and you nod. “Well, just past the horizon is a beautiful patch of forest and near the center of that forest is the most gorgeous of trees. I WAS going to cut it down for myself but... well, I don't have a strapping young stallion like yourself to carry it back for me,” she says to you with a wink, giving your bicep a teasing squeeze.

So...” you trail off. “You want me to cut it down for you or?...” you trail off and she nearly bursts into laughter.

“Heavens no darling. I was suggesting you could bring it home for Cadance and Derpy, to replace your broken tree,” she replies and you snap you fingers, remembering that was the whole reason you had gone out in the first place.

You stand to your full height and nod to the mare. “Thanks Rarity, I appreciate it,” you comment, the mare smiling gingerly as you go to make your exit.

“Anytime darling... OH, WAIT! Wait just a moment,” she says, rushing off upstairs before coming back down. “Here. I made you this, so you don't have to wear that mangy old oilskin overcoat Applejack gave you to the dance tonight,” she commented. You gave a pouty face. One of your adventures had taken you to a place called Appleloosa, where Cadance, Lassie and yourself helped wagon fresh water to the apple orchard of the town during a severe drought... less of an adventure, more of a chore. But in return, Applejack and her cousin Braeburn had gifted you with the worn out oilskin overcoat, which you had grown quite accustomed to.

“I... the dance?” you ask and Rarity nods.

“But of course darling. The Hearth's Warming Eve celebratory dance. You are going, aren't you?” she asked and you merely shrug.

“Uhh... well I... Maybe?” you reply. “I guess I'll have to see how much I get done back at the library. Derpy made quite the mess,” you reply back. In truth you didn't really have any intention of going but the beautiful white mare had her ways of convincing you from time to time so you may just consider it.

You take the folded fabric and unravel it, revealing a magnificent, fabric, tailored overcoat. “Wow... Rarity this is... beautiful. I... don't know what to say,” you reply but she simply plants a soft kiss on your cheek with a wink.

“Happy Hearth's Warming darling. Now you best be on to cutting down that tree or you'll never get it decorated in time,” she tells you. You give your thanks, quickly folding the tailored coat up and tucking it inside your oilskin overcoat and making haste.

As you quickly make your way through town, you near the edge of Ponyville but end up getting knocked over by a pink blur that comes to a screeching stop. “Ugh...” you grunt to yourself. “At this rate I won't ever get the tree cut,” you comment as you stand back to your feet.

Pinkie Pie comes zooming over. “Oh, oh I'm so sorry! I'm just in such a rush getting out Hearth's Warming Eve deliveries that I didn't even see you there!” she says and you nod, brushing the snow off your shoulders as you tell the hyperenergetic mare that it's no worries at all and that your just on your way to cut down a Hearth's Warming tree for decoration.

She pauses for a moment before rifling through her satchel. “Oh... in that case... here!” she says, pulling out a small container and handing it to you. “Hot right out of the oven! Cutting down trees is a lot of super exhausting work but if you get tired than this hot slice of Hearth's Warming Pie will perk you right up!” she says before wishing you a Happy Hearth's Warming and zooming off.

You wave her goodbye as you tuck the container into one of the coat's pockets and continue to make your way to the distant horizon. As you walk however, Luna plagues your conscious. “Oooh, so are we going to the Hearth's Warming dance tonight?” she asks, her mystic, blue, ghostly spirit materializing next to you.

“No,” you reply blandly. She stops abruptly for a moment, before briskly trotting back up to your side.

What? Why not?” she asks in a pouty tone.

“I don't dance,” you comment and she twitches her lip to the side before remarking that you wouldn't have to dance, just join in the festivities. “I'd... rather not,” you reply back.

“My sister probably won't be there, so you don't have to worry about her presence,” she chimes and you nearly freeze in spot. A cold chill runs down your back before you shake it off. “How about you tell me why YOU want to go, not why you think I should go,” you tell her. There's a slight silence before she pipes up again.

“Okay, okay! So I really, REALLY, want to go. It's been so long since I've been,” she informs you and you nod in response as you reach the patch of forest Rarity spoke of. Luna kept babbling on about how wonderful the celebration was over one thousand years ago when she was around.

She stops for a moment before considering things. “Why don't you like Hearth's Warming?” she inquires and you stop for a moment.

You turn to her. “Look... I don't even remember who I am. Everypony else is all joyful and peachy and merry and... even though they invite me to join, I still feel left out because I'm not as happy as they are. I feel like the odd one out, like I don't belong,” you tell her before continuing on through the forest.

Oh... I... I never thought of it like that...” she trails off. You tell her not to worry about it and assure her it'll be fine, and that you'll consider going for her but that you make no promises. Her face almost beams with a bright smile as her ghostly spirit hugs you tight but then pulls you to a halt.

“Wait! I think that's the tree Rarity spoke of.” Luna points to a beautiful tree in the center of a small clearing within the forest. It wouldn't have stood more than seven or eight feet tall. A white spruce tree that was bushy all the way up.

“Wow...” both you and Luna say in unison. “It is perfect.” You make your way over to the base of the tree and draw your mystic sword. The weapon itself feels absolutely weightless in your hands and you spin it briefly before taking a striking stance and cocking back.

You pivot your body and put thrust into the swing but at the very last moment you hear a horrified voice cry out.

WAIIIIIIIT!” screams the voice and you stagger to a halt, blade just millimeters away from the trunk of the tree. The pale yellow pegasus hovers over, a worried look on her face. “Oh please, please don't cut down their home,” she pleads. Both you and Luna look to each other and then over to her, though Fluttershy wasn't able to see Luna so she just looked to you. As you found out in your earlier travels, for some reason or another, you seem to be the only one who can see Luna's manifested spirit form.

“Who's home?” you ask and Fluttershy comes to a stop beside you, landing on all four and giving a soft clicking noise with her mouth.

“It's okay everyone, he won't hurt you,” she says softly. Within moments several small woodland animals such as squirrels, birds and chipmunks crawl out from the tree and gather round the shy pegasus' hooves. “You see... this tree is there home. Won't you please leave it be?” she asks. You let out a deep exhale.

“Uhh... yeah, yeah for sure... I uhh... didn't mean to worry you all. I was just looking for a Hearth's Warming Tree,” you reply. Fluttershy nods but much to your dismay she begins to sing a caroling song about the love of the forest and nature. The song drags on for more than a few minutes, with several more woodland creatures joining her in dance, some deer, rabbits and even a bear!

You look at your watch and audibly clear your throat. “Hate to interrupt,” you lie, “But is there a tree you wouldn't mind me cutting down?” you ask and she nods, exclaiming that she knows just the one. You follow her for a few minutes through the forest until you come to another small opening and she points to the center.

“That tree there. It's nearing the end of it's lifespan and wouldn't effect the rest of the ecosystem if you were to cut it down,” she replies. You look to the tree and groan, placing a hand over your face as Luna does her own, the two of you groan in unison.

“You've got to be kidding me...”

* * *

A fairly nasty windstorm had picked up on your way back to Ponyville, followed soon after by nearly blinding snow flurries. Luna skipped joyfully along, caroling Hearth's Warming songs as the two of you made your way back to town, yourself dragging along the scraggly Charlie Brown tree.

“Isn't this the most wonderful time of the year?” Luna chants and you look to her with a bland expression, wiping your face clean of the accumulated snow.

“You wouldn't be saying that if you could feel how cold it is right now, the blustering winds, the-” she cuts you off.

“I'd love too!” she says and you scoff at the remark but she quickly gives you insight to her statement. “I haven't been able to feel anything for over a millennia. The soft snow under my hooves, the gusting wind in my mane, the smell of pollen in the spring air... all the things ponies are begrudged about, I envy... it's things we don't realize we take for granted until we don't have it anymore... and I've been so long without,” she tells you. You stop walking as you take in all of what she just said.

Damn... that's deep,” you tell her but then chuckle as you start walking again. “Well... the whistling flurries against my face feel like a million little needles tearing into my skin that's threatening to rip my face clean off, if that's any consolation for you,” you laugh heartily and she smiles, nudging into you playfully and telling you it couldn't possibly be that bad.

The two of you laugh as you wipe more snow from your face but as you do, bump into a tall mare, knocking both herself and you to the ground. You stumble your way back to your feet, apologizing quickly to the pure white unicorn mare.

“Miss, I'm so sorry. These flurries make it so hard to see that I didn't even...” you're stunned and trail off in daze as her wings extend out to their full length and she shakes the snow from her body.

“Worry not, for I am nothing more than a weary traveler,” she mentions. Your jaw is slightly agape.

Y-you're a... an alicorn,” you respond and she nods in reply.

“Yes, but do not mistake my appearance for that of royalty. I am but a mere drifter,” she says but you're still left absolutely stunned by her appearance. Her fur is soft white like the snow, her mane just a slight touch darker than her fur and her eyes are crystalline blue.

You're shaken out of your daze as the mare speaks to you. “In my travels I have become quite famished. Would you be able to spare me but a parcel of food, stranger?” she asks but you shake your head.

“Sorry. I got nothing. I wasn't expecting to be out this long,” you inform her and she nods in reply before heading off. Luna leans over to you.

“What about that pie?” she asks and you look to her, asking what pie she was referring to. “The one Pinkie Pie gave to you,” she reminds you.

WAIT!” you holler out to the mare who stops and turns to you as you rush over. “Hold on... I...” you trail off as you begin rummaging through your pockets. “Have it... somewhere...” you mutter before reaching into your right coat pocket and finding the container of pie.

Pulling it out, you hand it over to her. “Still warm. Somepony gave this to me this morning and I completely forgot about it,” you tell her and she gives you a beaming smile.

“Oh thank you, thank you so much. But would you not want some for yourself?” she asks but you shrug it off.

“Nah,” you tell her. “I've got lots of food at home. You go ahead, all yours,” you reply and she takes you into a hug, telling you that you're very generous and wishing you a happy Hearth's Warming.

As the mare departs into the storm, yourself and Luna continue back to Ponyville, your spirit friend speaking up. “Well, that certainly was kind of you. Perhaps you're not as stone cold as you make yourself out to be,” she mentions and you give her a squinty stare...

* * *

You stumble through the front door of the library, Lassie, Derpy and Cadance all standing upright as you stagger in, dropping the poor excuse of a tree on the ground. Lassie stifles a laugh. “What... is that?” she asks through a laugh.

“Animals were living in the other trees...” you grunt, brushing the snow off your shoulders and shutting the door behind you. Cadance walks over and levitates the tree into place, center of the living room.

“It's very considerate of you,” she smiles to you. “It wouldn't be right to cut down an animal's home just for the sake of our own decorations,” she mentions. You nod and go to hang up your sword and coat, but the coat Rarity gave you begins to fall.

Swiftly, your hand snatches it midair and Derpy speaks up. “Oooh, what's that?! It looks fancy,” she remarks and you chuckle, the others looking over.

“Rarity gave it to me. She wants me to go to the dance tonight,” you mention. Luna's spirit pipes up beside you.

“I want to go to!” she pouts, though you ignore her while Cadance speaks.

“Oh, does this mean you'll go with us? Even if you don't dress up in costume, we'd love to have you along!” she mentions. You weren't entirely intrigued by the idea but given that it was only once a year...

You let out a deep exhale. “Yeah... yeah I'll go. I just need to go wash and change first, okay?” you tell them and the three of them let out a cheer while Luna let's out a squeal of excitement.

You enter the washroom and Luna is already talking about all the things she can't wait to see tonight. How excited she is to finally go to a festive celebration after all these long years. As you pour yourself a hot bath, she begins to dazzle herself up with jewelry and dress which is also mystic in appearance and has no physical existence.

As you sit yourself into the comfortably hot water you let out a sigh of relief. It felt nice to finally relax and lean your head back. With a wash cloth, you go over your body and scrub yourself clean.

Resting your arms on the sides of the tub, you let out a relaxed sigh and close your eyes, enjoying the tranquil peace and serenity...

“Do I look better with my mane up, or down?” Luna asks, and you barely crack your left eyelid open.

“You know...” you mumble peacefully. “Nopony but me can actually see you...” she looks to you with a beaming smile.

“I know... but just this once I'd like to pretend... isn't that okay?” she asks, adjusting her mane again.

“Down... let it flow freely,” you respond in a rather soft voice, enjoying the bath while the water was still warm. As time passes, your skin begins to prune and you step out of the bath, drying yourself with a plush towel.

As you're drying your hair, Luna speaks out to you. “How do I look?” she asks. You lower the towel from your face and your jaw drops. She was absolutely stunning. Mane flowing freely, the jeweled necklace, royal glass boots, her fur soft and brushed... her lips looked glossy like she had lipstick on.

“I'll take that as I look good,” she says cheerily and makes her way out off the bathroom, though due to her ghostly nature, she doesn't have to open the door, instead just travels straight through it.

She was stunning, even if just a ghostly spirit. You shake off the daze and dry yourself off before dressing in fine clothing. You look to yourself in the mirror and figure to yourself that you look good, the overcoat Rarity gifted you was very nice indeed.

Stepping out of the washroom, you stop to see that everypony else is ready, waiting on you. Cadance smiles. “You look very handsome in that coat,” she mentions and you smile, looking to her costume getup. You respond in telling her that she certainly looks festive and in the spirit of celebration. You step into the living room and look at the dismal excuse of a tree that the others have clearly tried to decorate.

There was a slight droopiness to the tree with very few ornaments and you look to Derpy. “Sorry I couldn't get you a better tree,” you apologize but she shakes her head in response.

“Are you kidding. This is the best tree!” she says and you perk a brow. “It's the best because you picked it and brought it back. It's the best because we're all here, together on Hearth's Warming Eve,” she says and you smile. You don't remember who you really were or who your family was but in a way... Cadance, Lassie and Derpy were, in a way, like your family. Luna too, you suppose.

You and the group exit the library and enter the snow covered streets where things truly were looking merrier than ever. It was dark out now, the dim illumination of the moon cast overhead however the streets themselves were lit with both street lamps and festive lights abroad.

Young colts and fillies played in the streets, some of the older children caroling from door to door. A light snowfall had blanketed the streets with a skiff of snow. Soft music from a local orchestra played from the center of town, where a massive tree had been set up and decorated.

Making your way to the center of town where most of the festivities were taking place, Lassie was struck in the side by a snowball. She stopped and looked out to see Applejack's younger sister, Applebloom, stick her tongue out playfully before her and her two friends ducked behind a snow fort. “Oh... it is on,” Lassie whispered playfully before taking off after the fillies.

A whistle from up above caught Derpy's attention. The grey mailpony assistant looked above to where several other pegasus were flying gracefully through the air, among those was Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. Dash invited Derpy to fly up with them and the mare gives you and Cadance a wave before departing to fly with her friends.

Cadance, yourself and Luna find seating at a table, one of several dozen set up in the city square. It was very nice, and even had a beautiful table cloth laid down. Luna pulls up an imaginary chair to sit on as the three of you sit and were merry, singing along to some of the passerby carolers. At one point, Pinkie Pie even brought over some Hearth's Warming pie, fresh from the oven, for Cadance and yourself.

Soon, the musical note of the orchestra changes and Cadance's wings spring out. They would've hit Luna had she not been a spiritual ghost. “Ohhh, I love this song. We should dance,” she chimes and you raise a brow.

“I... don't think so. I'm... terrible at dancing,” you interject and she gives you a pouty face.

“Oh come on, it'll be fun. I promise I won't laugh. I'll even lead if you want,” she insists but you are still hesitant.

“I'm not afraid of you laughing at me... I'm afraid of Lassie laughing at me,” you remark half-heartily. Her eyes go wide as saucers as her lip pouts. Luna turns to you.

“How can you say no to that,” she mentions and you sigh. You hold up your right index finger.

Okay... but just this one song, and then I'm sitting back down,” you tell her and she nearly squeals with excitement and begins to jump around with joy. You turn and look to Luna as Cadance and yourself make your way to where others are dancing, mouthing the words 'See what you've done?'

The mystic spirit mare just smiles and waves as the two of you depart. Cadance stands to her hindlegs and places her fore hooves in your hands. You stand there for a minute, a little dumbfounded. She giggles. “I'll lead, just try to follow what I do,” she smiles warmly and you can't help but smile back.

The young mare leads you into rhythm and for the first few minutes you stumble like a buffoon but after a while you catch on. It's not too difficult, mind you the dance isn't that extreme either, more of a slow dance.

Cadance looks up to you. Even standing on her hindlegs, she's still a few inches shorter than you. “Thank you,” she says and you perk a brow, asking for what. “For coming out tonight with us...” she trails off and lifts your hand above her head, twirling around in a circle with a giggle.

“Yeah... no problem... it's actually... kinda nice,” you say as you finally begin to take it all in. The children playing about. The beautiful lights and ambiance. Cadance dancing with you... it all seems so serene...

Before you know it, you've danced through several songs, completely lost in the moment. You stop for a moment, looking down to the young mare. Your heart skips a beat as she looks back up to you, a blush coming across her face as you look into those beautiful light purple eyes of hers.

What?” she asks and her question snaps you back into reality.

“Nothing... your mane... it makes you look totally different.” The two of you laugh and you step back, letting her down onto all fours. “I think I need a sit down. My feet are a little tired after walking most of the day,” you chuckle and she nods with a smile in return, bowing her head.

“Well, thank you kindly for the dance,” she says, leaning over and kissing you on the cheek as you're still bowing. The kiss makes your heart skip a beat again, a blush going across your cheek.

“My pleasure,” you reply, giving her a hug before making your way back to the table, Cadance continuing to dance, quickly finding another partner. Luna swishes around a fine glass as you sit across from her.

The two of you look out to the crowd and you sigh, Luna speaking up. “You should let go of the past,” she says to you and you turn to her, raising a brow and asking her what she meant. You didn't remember where you had even came from, let alone your own past. She gives you a gentle smile, reaching her hoof over and placing it atop of your hand.

“Don't let the past cloud your future...” she trails off and looks back to the crowd, motioning for you to do the same. “Look... Do you see it? This is what life really feels like. Ponies who love each other... you should take a moment, and let it in,” she says. You just shake your head and laugh, commenting that you think she's had too much to drink, as she's now speaking randomness. She sighs softly, almost sad as she leans back in her seat. “It's not too late.”

You roll your eyes as you too, lean back in your seat. You watch as Lassie plays with the fillies... Derpy flies high above with her pegasus friends... and Cadance, the young naive mare you had taken along with you on your journeys who was no longer so young and naive, dancing merrily with others.

The young princess looks over to you, smiling gingerly and waves to you. You raise a hand and give a short wave back. As you lower your hand, you don't look to Luna as you speak to her. “Maybe your right...

* * *

You lay peacefully on the couch in the living room. The night before had dragged on long into the early hours of this morning, the morning of Hearth's Warming. It had been a beautiful night, and Luna had certainly enjoyed the night out, along with the others.

A sudden squeal of absolute joy from beside the couch startled you awake. “WHA-WHATWHATWHAT?!” You gasp, scrambling to your feat.

“HEARTH'S BEEN HERE, HEARTH'S BEEN HERE!” Derpy cried allowed. You raise a brow and watch her running back upstairs, saying the exact same thing over and over. You scratch the back of your head in confusion. Turning around, you gasp in utter shock and stumble backwards, falling back onto the couch.

There in the living room where your wimpy little tree had sat, was now replaced by a gorgeous spruce tree, underneath was a plethora of wonderfully wrapped presents. Lassie and Cadance come down the stairs as Luna materializes next to you in her blue ghost form.

Woah, no way!” Lassie exclaims. “When did you get time to drag this sucker in and set it up?!” she asks in shock. Derpy zipps over to the tree and inspects it closely, wings buzzing wildly. Lassie squats down next to her and looks at all the new presents set down. Originally there were only twelve presents, one from each of you to everypony else in the home. Now... there were quite a few more.

Cadance leans over the back of the couch and kisses your cheek. “Thank you. That's very sweet of you to do that for Derpy,” she mentions and you shake your head.

“I... I didn't do anything, I swear,” you reply and she just giggles, giving you a wink and saying that she'll keep your secret, calling you Hearth. You turn to Luna's spirit. “Did you have anything to do with this?” you ask but she just shakes her head with a faint smile, leaning comfortably back on the couch.

You follow suit as the group begins to open presents for one another. You had all agreed to get each other something simple but thoughtful. You had gotten everypony new winter hats, Lassie had gotten everypony scarfs, and Cadance had gotten everypony boots.

Derpy handed out her gifts to everypony, which was poorly wrapped and all scrunched together. You all open your gifts but you pause for a moment. It's a shirt with a picture of the four of you together steam pressed into the fabric. Derpy speaks up. “I kinda figured that this way... we'd all be together, even when we're not.” Her words hit you so hard that a tear trickles down your cheek.

Lassie pipes up and breaks the silence. “So... what gives with these?” she asks, looking to you. “Did you go out and get these late last night?” she asks you and Derpy interjects before you can even say a word.

“No, they're from Hearth. Look, they even say right there. She only brings presents for the good ponies,” she comments and Lassie rose a brow. Derpy handed over a present that was labeled as being for Lassie.

The dog was cautious as she unwrapped the gift, standing up and draping down the cape that read 'SUPER LASS'. She twirled it over her shoulders and clipped the front as she stood back on all fours, a rather expressionless face about her. Suddenly a wicked smile crossed her lips and, using her paws, she pulled the cape to her side and smudged out the 'L' on the cape. “Never in my life have I needed something so much and not known until I received it.” With that she darted off like she was a super hero. You roll your eyes.

Derpy opens her gift and a bright smile comes across her face. It's a snow globe and the inside is of the treehouse, and out front is the four of you standing together. She shakes the glass and watches in pure fascination as the snow glitters down inside the globe. It looks like she would be intrigued by the globe for the next few hours.

Cadance unwraps her gift and gasps. You look over to see her unravel a beautiful crystal necklace, the gem centerpiece itself shaped like that of a heart. “It's beautiful,” she beams at you. “Really, you shouldn't have. What happened to simple and thoughtful?” she asks and you go pale.

“I did nothing,” you respond, pointing to Luna's ghost. “It was all her,” you insist, Luna snickering. Cadance rose a brow.

Who?” she asks curiously and you let out a sigh, realizing you're the only one who can see the regal princess' spirit.

Hearth, I meant to say it was Hearth... right Derpy?” you ask and the grey mare nods in agreement. Cadance laughs softly and comes to sit beside you, leaning on you shoulder.

“Well, it's very thoughtful, I love it,” she says and a smile twitches at the right side of your lips. Luna steps up and gives you a kiss on the left side of your cheek, her lipstick somehow leaving a mark on your skin.

“Well... I must be on for the time at hand. I'll see you soon, Knight,” she tells you and with that she dissipates. You're left wondering if it was Luna who somehow left the gifts.

Lassie swoops down like some kind of super hero, know wearing a black pair of goggles. “Never fear, Super A-” you cut her off.

“Yeah, yeah, okay, no need to get crazy,” you interject and she scrunches her nose at you, calling you a party pooper before looking to the tree and squinting her eyes.

“Hey Derpy... who's that envelope for?” she asks and Derpy reaches for a white Envelope that has a red sticker seal holding it closed and ribbon wrapped on it. Derpy says it's for you and hands it over.

The tag reads that it's from Hearth. Peeling open the envelope, there a folded note inside that you open up, white glitter bursting into the air like snowflakes that slowly and most gently come fluttering to the ground. You read the note to yourself.

Dear Knight,

I do so hope you didn't mind me replacing that old tree with this newer one and decorating it for all of you. I've also left you all thoughtful gifts, though the gift I've left you is togetherness with your family.

Love,

Hearth,

P.S. The pie was good, thank you

You ponder your thoughts for a moment... surely that mare couldn't have actually been... no, it had to be Luna, a trick she played on you... or maybe, just maybe...

You fold the note back up and tuck it away as you look to your friends. Everypony was so happy and the moment just seemed so perfect. A home... everypony was smiling, everypony was here, together. You lean back and take the moment to let it all in... this is what it feels like

Comments ( 1 )

Why did you stop writing? Honest question.

Login or register to comment