• Published 23rd Dec 2019
  • 417 Views, 2 Comments

Being alone on Hearths Warming Eve - Akataja



Ponies should spend Hearths Warming Eve with friends and/or family but Trixie and Zephyr have to stay alone... or not?

  • ...
 2
 417

Chapter one: the only chapter

Trixie's cart was her office, transportation, and her home. It was like a beloved friend to her and now she had to part from it for a certain time. The wagon was standing outside of Ponyville on the road at the western end of town. The road and the hills were already covered with snow and a cold wind was blowing. Trixie had to pull her cape closer around her rump.

“Thank you again, Trixie,” the voice came from Starlight Glimmer who was right beside her, “without your help this whole thing would take even longer.”

“As long as it’s to help you,” answered Trixie. She looked at Starlight with a smile and leaned in to rub her cute pony nose to hers. Starlight rubbed back. They both enjoyed these small intimate moments a lot.

The voice of Rainbow Dash suddenly cut through the moment. “Hey, get a room you two! It would be better if you helped with packing the kitty wagon!” The blue pegasus was putting some suitcases on the roof of Trixie's cart.

“The great and powerful Trixie demands you to be more careful with her cart!” Trixie gasped.

“Or what?”

“Do you want the great and mighty Trixie to show you your place?”

“I’d like to see you try!”

Twilight sparkle used her wings to float between the two mares, trying to calm the situation.

“Please don't fight, girls. This is an important mission! The map is sending all of us to a place so far away. There are no trails, and it’s not possible to reach it with an airship or boat. Your cart can help us a lot, Trixie. Thank you.”

“The great and magnificent Trixie wants you to know, that she only helps your pitiful princess because of Starlight Glimmer.” Trixie looked back to her love and said,

“Do you really have to go? I was really looking forward to our first Hearth Warming Eve as a couple.”

“I'm sorry,” Starlight replied, “but if the map is sending us, it must be really important.” Starlight was really sad. A part of her felt like taking Trixie's cart and leaving her alone in Ponyville was a bad move.

“I love this kind of love story,” Rarity said after she had put the biggest suitcase of all inside the cart. Her luggage.

“I really would like to see the end of it, but don't we have to leave now?”

“Ah just hope it’s not just 'nother prank of Discord,” Applejack said. Applejack was in front of the cart together with her brother, Big Macintosh. The map did not summon Big Mac, but he was the best pony in town after Applejack when it came down to pulling a cart.

“He promised me not to do this again,” the quiet voice of Fluttershy said.

“Oh! I almost forgot, here, take this.” The shy yellow pegasus landed next to Trixie and gave her a key.

“Thanks again, Fluttershy,” Starlight said, “it’s so nice of you to let Trixie live at your place until we return. And thank you, Applejack for letting us store all of her equipment on Sweet Apple Acres.”

Pinkie Pie was just bouncing by with her saddlebags full of candy. “I still don't know why you don't take the offer from Twilight, there is sooo much space in the castle. The kitchen is full of cakes and candies, and I found funny comics in the library!”

“No!” Trixie shouted, “the great and proud Trixie will not take anything like this from such a--.” She wanted to say something very rude, but Starlight was right next to her, and she didn’t think it was right to be rude to her friends. “A... a pony...” She turned to Starlight and hugged her tight. She smiled at her and gave a kiss. It was time.

“'Alright ponies, hop on board! Let’s git goin’” Applejack hollered, “this is gonna be a long ride. Ah hope yah haven't forgotten anything.”

Fluttershy stepped inside the cart, but stood still and looked back to Ponyville as if she was looking for something.

“I have the feeling that I’m forgetting something...but I can’t remember.”

“Hurry up, Fluttershy” Dash pushed her inside the cart, “if it was so important you would remember it, right?”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Meanwhile, at the same time in Cloudsdale. Zephyr Breeze put the last things he needed inside of his saddlebags and walked down the stairs. His parents were already in front of the cloud house and waiting for him.

“Zephyr, are you really sure you don’t want to spend Hearth Warming Eve with us at Aunty Milly’s place?” his father asked again.

“I am very sure,” he answered, “Aunty Milly was bold enough to tell me that my passion and my lifestyle are not good enough for her.”

“She just asked you if you are still looking for a job,” His mom said as he remembered the huge scene from last year.

“Don't remind me of that. Such hateful words from a member of my own family!” Zephyr grunted and closed the door behind himself.

“Thank you, but no sir! I will spend Hearths Warming Eve with my favorite sister and her friends in Ponyville.”

“But you have not forgotten to tell her that, right?” his father asked, worried as always that Zephyr's light-hearted personality would cause him trouble again. Like when he moved into Fluttershy’s home without asking her.

“Of course not father, I’ve already informed her after the events of last year,” Zephyr reassured. Zephyr's mom locked the door and put the key in one of her saddlebags.

“And you are sure she still remembers? I mean, it’s been nearly a year,” she asked.

“No worries,” he said as he spread his wings, “I know my sister…and she will be super happy to see her favorite little brother.” He jumped from the cloud and flew. His parents looked after him with a worried expression.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trixie entered Fluttershy's cottage and looked around. The animals were gone for hibernation, but she could still smell them. Aside from that, it looked nice. She had a lot of space, it was warm, and it even had a bathroom. She tried to think positive about it. While it was true that her beloved special some pony was not here for one of the most important holidays, at least she had food and a roof over her head. All for free!

“The great and powerful Trixie just hopes that Starlight will make it back in time safe and sound.” She put the suitcase with her personal stuff aside and went upstairs. What she needed now was a long, hot bath. She walked into the bathroom and closed the curtains. If she had waited two seconds more she would have seen a mint green colored pegasus stallion land in front of the house.

Zephyr yawned and stretched his limbs and wings. The flight from Cloudsdale to here was always exhausting and he felt super stiff because of the cold weather. He walked over the small bridge and then to the door. He knocked on the door and waited, but nobody answered. Luckily, he had a spare key. He opened the door and entered the cottage.

“Fluttershy? Are you here?” he shouted out, “your favorite little brother is here!” He looked around and shrugged it off. Surely, Fluttershy went out to take care of one of her furry friends. He suddenly had a great idea, he was going to surprise her! If she was out in the woods right now, she would be cold too. So he walked over to the kitchen to prepare a hot Kona Coffee with cream, cinnamon, brown sugar and anything else that was needed. He had learned how to make the best coffee during that barrister schooling he did during his castle guard training in Canterlot. It’s possible Princess Luna only hired him because of a trick she wanted to play, but she did really love his coffee. By the end, it was perfect. He was the best in his class, especially with cream art. No pony else made such perfect leaves.

“Mhm, Zephyr!” he praised himself, “you are the best Mane Therapist ever, and your coffee is perfect! I wish Aunty Milly could understand that I have trouble finding a job because I am so good at everything!” He chuckled and looked around, “now it only needs a fitting napkin…but where should I look? Not here...maybe in her bedroom?” He walked upstairs. If he would have been just five seconds slower, he would have seen the door of the bedroom open.



Trixie was sure she had heard something. The bath was prepared but she was a little scared. She walked downstairs to investigate. She went into the living room and suddenly smelled something delicious.

“Is this…Kona Coffee?” she sniffed the air and followed the scent to find a hot cup of coffee with perfect cream art on top of it.

“How did this get here? Did the great and powerful Trixie really not see this when she entered?” She used her magic to take the cup and smelled it again.

“Mmmh...surely the yellow one had left this for Trixie.” She used her magic to take the cup with her and sat down on the sofa.

“The great and comfortable Trixie can wait to take her bath until she’s drank this.”



Zephyr had found no napkins and walked back, but on his way, he saw that the door to the bathroom was open. Was it open when he walked upstairs? Had he overseen it? He looked inside and saw a prepared hot bath! With candles and nice smelling bathing oil. So, Fluttershy really didn’t forget about him and prepared such a nice thing for him? She was indeed the nicest sister he could have.

He walked inside and, without any more thinking, sunk in the bathtub with a satisfied and happy moan.

“Aaaaagh...life is good.” He sunk into the huge tube so far that he vanished between the foam.

Trixie had to chuckle when she looked in the mirror and saw a little white spot of white cream on her cute pony nose

“The great and cute Trixie always looks good, even after she’s enjoyed a hot coffee.” She smiled and licked the cream from her nose with four fast licks. She walked back to the kitchen to put the empty cup in the sink.

“And now it’s time for that well-earned bath.” She walked back upstairs and into the bathroom. She put her hat aside and hung her cape on the hook and climbed into the tub. As soon as she sunk in she noticed something was off...she wasn’t alone in here! Trixie and Zephyr jumped out of the tub, both scared, confused, and screaming.

“What is going on here?” Trixie shouted.

“Who are you?” Zephyr shouted back

“I am the great and powerful Trixie,” she stomped with her hoof on the ground, “and I demand to know what you are doing in Trixie's bath!”

“Your bath? This was my bath! My sister prepared it for me!”

“Your sister?”

“Yeah, Fluttershy. This is her cottage, after all. And do I smell the scent of Kota Coffee with cream, brown sugar and cinnamon from you? You drank the coffee I prepared with love and passion for my big sister?”

“Fluttershy is your sister? Trixie didn't know she had a brother.” She used her magic to grab a towel and cover herself with it. She also grabbed a second one and it floated towards Zephyr, but instead of giving it to him, she rolled it up and hit him with it.

“A strange brother with no manners who is jumping on mares when they are taking a bath!”

“Ouch! Hey! You climbed in the bath after I was inside.”

“But I prepared it!”

“That's enough! Where is Fluttershy?”

“She is on one of these stupid magical map adventures with her friends...and my beloved Starlight...and my beloved cart!”

“Okay, okay...we should calm down,” Zephyr said as he grabbed the floating towel.

“First of all, Trixie, my name is Zephyr Breeze...and we need to be clear about this, when is Fluttershy coming back?”

“It’s a really long journey and a really important task...maybe a week?” Trixie sighed. It’ll take three days to get there and three days to return, so the chance they would miss Hearth Warming Eve was high.

“A week?” Zephyr gasped, taking a few steps back. He wrapped up his mane into a perfect towel knot.

“So, she did forget about me.”

“It seems so...and she also forgot to tell me about you.” Trixie tried to wrap up her mane as well, but she never was good with that kind of stuff. That's why her mane was always a little messy and liked to wear a hat to hide it. Zephyr helped her and wrapped it around her mane.

“Thanks...so…I guess the great and powerful Trixie is stuck here with you.”

“Hey, can’t you say that a bit more friendly?”

“Wasn't that already friendly?”

“Great!” he gasped and left the bathroom. Trixie followed him. Maybe the bathroom was not the right place to clear this.

“So, I can’t spend Hearth Warming Eve with my family? Not even with my favorite big sister?”

“And the great and slightly bad-tempered Trixie can’t spend it with her beloved Starlight. We had plans! We wanted to--” she blushed, “well...never mind.”

“And who is this Starlight pony? I mean, you can’t really compare your situation to mine!” Zephyr sat on the sofa.

“I still don't have a job and my family thinks I’m a loser. Hearth Warming Eve is one of the rare chances to spend some time with them without them talking about me getting a job!”

“And this year would have been my first chance to have a Hearth Warming Eve with my special some pony. And now I am here, without Starlight, and without my home!” She remembered why this Hearth Warming Eve was so important to her and why she felt so sad.

“The great and powerful Trixie doesn’t want to speak about this anymore. She will take a bath now, and then...we will clear this.” She walked back upstairs. Of course, she felt bad, she felt lonely, even more than ever before. However, she was not alone. Starlight was her special some pony, regardless of where she was right now, so why did she feel so bad? At least she was able to have this warm and nice bath.

Trixie stayed in the tub for half an hour. She had no idea who this Zephyr Breeze was, the only thing she knew about him was that they had a really bad start together. But, at least some pony was here. She was not alone. She felt better when she walked back downstairs.

“So, how are you right now?” Zephyr asked upon her arrival.

“The great and powerful Trixie feels better now.” She saw two fresh cups of hot coffee on the table and smiled.

“I made one for you too,” Zephyr said, “I feel sorry that you have to spend Hearth Warming Eve without the pony you love.”

“Thank you.” Trixie sat down on the sofa and took her cup with her magic.

“And Trixie feels bad for shouting at you. I’ve had so many Hearth Warming Eve's without a family that I forgot how painful it can be.” Zephyr helped her with the towel and her mane again. Helping ponies with their mane was his profession. He sat next to her and took the other cup.

“And now the two of us stuck here together.” Trixie smelled the delicious coffee with a smile, shuddering a bit.

“The great and powerful Trixie has to admit, it could be worse.” She sighed and leaned to Zephyr.

“So, you said that your family is nagging you to get a job. Why?”

“I have no idea! Okay...I’ve never held a job for longer than two weeks but...that's not my fault! I mean, my last job was being a castle guard and I was fired after just one day! I mean, they never told me how to guard something...and in the end, I was only there because the princess knew I couldn't do that. Also, I only took the job offer because I thought the uniform would make the mares around me wild, but I still had no chance with Rainbow Dash.”

“Wait, Rainbow Dash? The annoying pegasus with the rainbow-colored mane? What do you want with her?”

“I think she’s hot and, well, I’ve known her for so long.”

“Good luck with that...I am very sure she is dancing on the other side of the river.”

“What do you mean?”

“The great and wise Trixie is telling you, that she would have a better chance with Rainbow Dash than you.”

“Huh?” Trixie sighed.

“She is a lesbian.”

“Impossible!”

“Sorry...but hey, I am sure you will find a better mare soon. You just have to look around. I mean, you are super skilled. If I were into stallions, I would totally give you a chance after drinking your coffee. A-and the thing you did to Trixie's mane? You are good! Why don't you work as a mane stylist? You have the training, education, and the great and wise Trixie thinks you are very good.”

“To be honest...” he sighed. Should he really tell her? He hardly knew her and he’s never told anyone about it, not even his family, but maybe that was the trick? Speaking to some pony who doesn't know you could help to get another perspective.

“To be honest....I’m scared. I’ve failed at so many tasks, and if I fail at the one thing I really can do...t-that would destroy me!”

“Oh, Trixie can understand that.” She looked at him.

“You shared a secret, now Trixie will tell you one herself. The great and powerful Trixie is the best Magician in all of Equestria...but there was a time when she was not...I remember shows when the crowd was booing and cursing at Trixie, times when Trixie had no money and nothing to eat.”

“But you’re still a magician?”

“Of course! This is what the great and powerful Trixie can do best! Trixie loves to do magic! And if you love to do something, you must stick to it!” Zephyr smiled.

“Hey…maybe you’re right! You’re smart.”

“Trixie knows,” she chuckled.



The two total strangers spent the day together. They had no other choice. But, it was nice. Better to spend the night before Hearth Warming Eve with someone at all than be totally alone, right? While Zephyr helped Trixie with her mane, Trixie told Zephyr about her adventurous travels around all of Equestria and her all mighty magic skills. Trixie was very good at decorating stories.

It seemed like she was not able to spend that day with her beloved one, but at least she could spend it with a friend. They were able to have a nice chit-chat while Zephyr styled her mane. Trixie showed off some of her elder magical tricks to Zephyr, impressing him. Of course, Starlight and the others did not return the next day. Trixie went to the pageant with Zephyr. It was not a big show like the one in Canterlot, but it was nice nonetheless.

Zephyr had a nice Hearth Warming Eve with a friend who wouldn’t complain to him about getting a job or his future. At the end of the evening, Zephyr and Trixie walked back to Fluttershy's cottage together. They had a friendly conversation about the show. Trixie was very sure that she would have done it better, every single aspect of it. Eventually, they reached the cottage and went inside.

“The great and powerful Trixie will admit, this evening was nice...but do you know what would make it even better?”

“A cup of Kopi Luwak coffee? Extra creamy and sweet?”

“You already know what the great and powerful Trixie wants! You are the ideal friend and master of all coffee craving.”

“Well, thank you!” he walked to the kitchen, “my parents don't know how to enjoy a cup of coffee. I wish they enjoyed it as much as you do.”

“Right...your parents...you...you will return home tomorrow, right?”

“Yeah...I mean, they will return tomorrow, and I already miss my room, and...” He sighed. He liked to be home but, except for his parents, there was nobody else he knew. All of his friends moved away, got a job, and made a family.

“And Trixie will sit here in this cottage alone for another week...at least.”

“I...could stay a little longer,” he offered.

“For real? You want to stay here for me?” Trixie was happy to hear that, but she also had thoughts about it.

“You aren’t doing this because you pity me...right?”

“No, no! You know, during the show, I had spoken to the Aloe twins and they noticed your mane. One thing leads to another and they offered me a job at the spa as mane stylist!”

“For real? A-and you want to do that? You’re taking the offer?” Zephyr nodded his head with a smile.

“You know...a great and powerful friend told me that if I love to style manes, I should stick to it.” Trixie felt her cheeks become warm.

“You made the great and powerful Trixie blush,” she smiled, “Zephyr...I...I am happy I can spend this Hearth Warming Eve with a friend. We...we are friends, right?”

“Of course!” he said with a smile, “I have the greatest and most powerful friend of Equestria,” he winked at her.

“Happy Hearth Warming Eve, Zephyr.”

“Happy Hearth Warming Eve, Trixie.”

Comments ( 2 )

You drank the coffee I prepared with love and passion for my big sister?

love and passion for my big sister
love and passion for my big sister
love and passion for my big sister

i.imgur.com/H3CcC8N.gif

JK! This was lovely and sweet and I enjoyed it very much! Thank you for writing it! :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment