• Published 16th Dec 2011
  • 2,418 Views, 13 Comments

Hearth's Warming Eve for Scootaloo - Artaelian



Hearth's Warming Eve is coming, and Scootaloo is eager to get decorations for it with the orphanage's being old and worn out.

  • ...
3
 13
 2,418

And six months pass like a dream (epilogue)

Six months later

Scootaloo sat on the grassy hill, the warm sunlight made her feel slightly sleepy. She shook her head and continued to focus on what she had originally came for. A few meters away, surrounded by plywood walls, acting as a barrier, was a construction site where the orphanage once stood.

From atop the hill, Scootaloo could see where the building had once stood. All that remained however, was the ground around it, as a new building was currently in construction.

She sighed, so much of her life had been lived in the orphanage, and it bothered her that it was now gone forever. Even the Hearth’s Warming Eve that had almost been disastrous for her just six months ago had been a good moment, despite how run down the building was.

From somewhere behind her, Scootaloo could hear the sound of hooves walking across the dry ground. This stopped beside her, and by natural reaction, she turned to her right and saw that Miss Amethyst had arrived, and was now sitting beside her.

“How often do you come here Scootaloo?” she asked, her own eyes looking at the construction site.

“Not all that often,” Scootaloo replied.

Miss Amethyst was now looking at her from the corner of her eyes, with a look that said quite clearly, I know the truth, I just want you to say it.

“Fine, every day.”

The two ponies sat in silence, and watched as a cart carrying bricks arrived to the construction site below them. In the distance, making its way from the road to Ponyville was another cart, possibly with more bricks on it as well.

“We never really talked about what took place six months ago,” Miss Amethyst stated, “I understand if you’re still not ready to talk about it, but I may as well discuss with you what consequences the whole situation had, unless you are already aware?”

Scootaloo shook her head side to side.

“All I know is, after he was approached by Twilight, Filthy Rich decided to buy the orphanage and the land it stood on, not to mention some of the nearby land as well. I assume its to give Diamond Tiara a stupid huge clubhouse for her and Silver Spoon.”

Miss Amethyst sighed and rolled her eyes, quite aware from previous talks with Scootaloo about how Diamond Tiara behaved.

“This isn’t for his daughter, Scootaloo,” she said flatly, “simply put, once he heard of what his daughter had almost done, Filthy Rich was furious.”

Scootaloo grinned at this, hoping to hear more about what had happened when Diamond Tiara’s father had learnt of the situation. Sadly, she was to get no more details.

“Besides grounding her, which I’m led to understand still hasn’t ended, Filthy Rich decided to come check the orphanage out when you were in school one day. To say he was displeased with how poorly treated it was is an understatement.” Miss Amethyst sighed, lowering her head.

“So what? It didn’t look like other places, so he had to buy the place and tear it down to stop being an eyesore?” Scootaloo questioned.

“No, don’t judge him too quickly. He learnt that the money given to the orphanage was barely enough for food and bills, maintenance was not even considered. So, he decided if town hall can’t maintain it on a tiny budget, then they shouldn’t even have it. He apparently walked right in to Mayor Mare’s office, handed her a large ‘donation,’ said the orphanage and its grounds belonged to him in exchange, and walked out.” Miss Amethyst stated, smiling.

“From there, it did belong to him. He came to me soon after and said we’d have to live in a hotel for a while, because he was going to tear it down,” Miss Amethyst looked at Scootaloo, who looked sad at hearing this, “of course, you know why right?”

“No, why?” Scootaloo questioned.

“When Filthy Rich examined the orphanages records, he found it was more of a place to put orphans, so as not to make the streets crowded with them and suggest the town was very poor. He said that it should be a service, to house those who have had the misfortune of losing family too young and give them a new home, not to shove them out of sight and out of mind.”

In the construction site, the second cart had arrived, and was indeed filled with more bricks. A cement mixer was now pulling up to the site as well, along with a further two carts, and more were clearly on the way.

“He decided that the best thing to do was to rebuild the orphanage, since the other was run down, and construct a new one that would be more inviting. He also plans to make it more known, so other orphans can be brought here, and families can come visit and adopt.” Miss Amethyst was now beaming with joy.

And for just a moment, so did Scootaloo. A new orphanage, on the same grounds as the old one. Not that she saw anything wrong with the old orphanage, but to see a new building when coming home would make a change.

But the joy quickly left her. Shuffling her left front hoof, Scootaloo spoke.

“And yet, all Diamond Tiara gets as punishment is several months of being grounded. Its severe and all, but it still doesn’t seem fair considering her actions six months ago almost killed me.” Scootaloo muttered, her ears laying flat.

Miss Amethyst laughed so loudly, the construction workers all stopped, and looked around wildly, trying to find the laughters source.

“Scootaloo, Diamond Tiara would feel lucky if being grounded was all the punishment she had gotten,” Miss Amethyst said through her laughter, which was now causing tears to form in the corner of her eyes, “simply put, she doesn’t have an allowance anymore.”

“Like that would matter to her, she just whines and her father buys her stuff.” Scootaloo remarked snidely.

“He said she can forget him buying her anything too. But that’s beside the point,” she turned to face Scootaloo, “the point actually, is the allowance and gifts she would have been given is to be given to the orphanage to pay for bills and food until she is old enough to live on her own.”

Scootaloo grinned.

“No way!”

“That’s the truth. She may get out of being grounded in a few months, but until she lives in her own home, the other half of her punishment will continue, and she’ll know it’ll be benefitting those less fortunate than her.” Miss Amethyst replied.

“It’s better than that, at least when I see her every day at school, I’ll known that at least her allowance won’t be going to stupid little toys only for herself; it’ll be to keep a roof over all of us.” Scootaloo was now bouncing on the ground where she had been sitting.

Miss Amethyst simply chuckled as she stood up and turned to face away. She took one more look at Scootaloo.

“Don’t forget to be back at sunset, enjoy the rest of your day Scootaloo.” she said, trotting away.

Scootaloo turned to face the construction site, still grinning.

“Yeah, I will,” she turned away from the construction site and begun trotting towards Ponyville herself, “and I can’t wait to tell Applebloom and Sweetie Belle about all of this. Best news ever!”

Author's Note:

And so, even though this story was never intended to have an epilogue (because I thought it wouldnt do so well originally), here it is.
This epilogue resolves what happened as a result of the story, and answers if Diamond Tiara got punished.
It also now sets the stage for the sequel to Hearth's Warming Eve for Scootaloo. I hope to bring to you all the first chapter of Dream of Another Shore very soon.

Comments ( 2 )

91894
You've got your wish with the newly added epilogue chapter!
370423
Replying to you again simply to state that the sequel in progress for this fic, Dream of Another Shore, will explore two of the relationships Scootaloo has with characters featured in this story. Though I cant say when Dream of Another Shore will begin, its down to how much time my editor gets.

Great punishment for the little waste of air, pure genius. :yay::trollestia::eeyup:

Login or register to comment