• Published 10th Nov 2019
  • 5,222 Views, 846 Comments

Equestria Girls: Love Is Magic - onekface



A new enemy threatens Sunset's new home. It craves magic and it craves all who has it. She and her friends must rise to face it. But they can't do it alone. Flash x Mane 7

  • ...
19
 846
 5,222

PreviousChapters Next
Break Time

Chapter 53: Break Time

(Canterlot Mall)

Luna had many regrets in her life. Never been able to go on a traveling spree across the world when she could, never having the courage to ask her high school quarterback out on prom, or figuring out which ice cream flavor she preferred – vanilla or Sunday Supreme.

But right now her biggest regret of today was making way too much purchase. She was walking down the mall with four plastic bags on each hand, each of them weighing like dumbbells, and a backpack so heavy that it was practically straightening her spine.

A few pedestrians gave her a weird look but most of them steered clear of her path. Some might even think that this woman was on a shopping spree. But sadly, the truth was way less entertaining.

After yesterday’s studying into the magical lives of those girls, Luna came to the realization that she had absolutely no clue on how to help them. Their magic was like a completely different language. One that was filled with more key words than your average tongue twister. Relics, artifacts, portals. You may as well be talking gibberish and the result would be the same. She had no clue to how any of them work or function. No way of putting two and two together. And so she decided to seek out knowledge from the one place that had remotely any information about it.

Books!

She ransacked the fictional section of every bookstore in the mall and strapped them to her back. From the Idiot’s Guide to Hexes and Charms, to Old Wives’ Tales of Talismans and Enchantment, right down to the Instruction Manual of Ogres & Oubliettes. She was gonna study them all and become a Level 20 Sorceress or by god she will die trying. At least one of them must have the knowledge she needs to provide some semblance of aid.

That alone was going to cost her, her Winter Holiday bonus.

After walking through a crowd of last minute shoppers, the poor Vice-Principal slumped down to the closest bench hoping to catch her breath.

“Hoo boy.” She panted heavily. “That’s it. I’m putting gym in my New Year’s resolution.” And that would’ve been the end of it, had destiny not decided to mess with her life just a tad bit. Just when she leaned down for a little rest, the books she had in her backpack spilled forth like a torrent spreading across the floor like an abstract piece of art. And to top it all off, a kid walked by uncaringly, his ice cream cone dripping messily on one of them. Her eyes cast down at it before she muttered. “Of course. Why not?”

With a groan and a sigh of admittance she began gathering her new collection feeling dejected as a girl having a bad day.

Thankfully fate was not completely heartless.

“Last minute shopping?” A familiar voice came over, handing her a portion of her fallen collection.

She smirked at his appearance. “Not exactly. More of a… personal interest.”

“Magic and Mystics?” Sombra raised a brow noting the title on the book.

“Like I said: Personal interest.” She snatched it off and stuffed the rest back into her backpack. “And what are you doing here so close to New Year? Did you finally decided to buy the whole mall? If you did, I’d like all-year discount at the salon.”

The older gentleman chuckled at her attempts of humor which said otherwise. “Just because I have money, doesn’t mean I splurge it unnecessarily. I have something people call restraint.”

Ehmm hmm. Says the man who owns a private jet, a private yacht, and a whole fleet of cars under his mansion. Seriously though. One of these days, she was gonna call on his favor and take a trip down to Manehattan.

“So if you’re not here to buy the mall, then why are you here? I figured someone as busy as you would be ordering things online instead of getting your hands dirty.”

Sombra scoffed. “Need I remind you that I am a renowned archeologist? I am not so pampered not to get my own hands dirty. But if you must know.” A smile crossed his face as he pulled a photo album from his jacket. “I’m actually here to pick up a gift for my son.”

Her eyes widened with interest. “Didn’t you get him a phone earlier?”

“That was just a formality. This one is far more personal.” She gave an ‘Oh’ sound. “It’s a personalized photo album of his childhood. I gathered all the pictures from our storage and put them all in one absolutely stunning album. That way he can look back at all the good times we’ve had together.”

“That… that actually sounds pretty good.” And she didn’t even have to exaggerate it. “Well done Sombra. I’m impressed.”

“Thank you. And I made quite a scene for it too.” A scene? “I told Flash that I would be busy with my election campaign this weekend.”

“On New Year’s Eve?”

“Yes! It’s all a ruse of course.” He clarified quickly enough. “I took your advice to do something special. And when he comes home, I’ll surprise him with a party. With balloons and fireworks and a feast just for the two of us. I had my butler prepare all of his favorites.” He sighed. “He’ll come home, I’ll shout out ‘Surprise’, it’ll be wonderful, I will give him his gift, we will talk, hang out, we will bond, and it will be heartwarming!”

“That sounds…… great?” More like a recipe for disaster but Luna didn’t have the courage to say that.

“I know, right? I knew I’d get this whole parenting thing right eventually. Ha! Flash will be so thrilled.”

“Yeah… but don’t you think you’re overthinking this? I mean… won’t it be better to keep things simple? You don’t need to go over the top.”

“Simplicity is overrated.” He flaunted his arms dramatically as if to make a point. “I’m squeezing in years of lost time into this one magnificent evening. I’m going all out! Besides, he enjoy parties like this. I know my son better than most people.”

Do you also know that he’s converted your old house into a private club for 7 girls who are holding a secret war against a magical organization?

No?

I didn’t think so.

“You really think you’re gonna win your son over with some surprise flashy gimmick?”

“Uh… yes?” He looked back, noting her shaking head. “No? Maybe?”

Oh good god. And to think this guy will be the next mayor of Canterlot City. The guy was a complete showboat. If every problem in the world can be solved by throwing money at it, he’d be great at bringing out world peace. Unfortunately things weren’t that simple.

“Look I’m the least qualified person to tell you how to bond with your son. But I’m sure that you don’t need to go this far to earn his affection. Try something simple.”

“You mean… fly him out to Las Pegasus?”

Yes!

“No!” Her mouth ran differently as she resisted the urge to face palm. “Did you not hear what I said just now? I said simple, not expensive! Go on a trip with him. Take a walk down the park, play catch in your backyard, go fishing!?”

“So… an outdoors activity?”

“ANYTHING! Ao long as you two are together. How hard can this be for you to understand?”

“So… no gift?”

“No!” She paused. “I mean. Yes. Gift yes. Just… be there for him when he needs you. Oh gods. This is not how I wanted to spend my holiday.” The lady let out a long groan. “I hope your son isn’t as dumb as you are.”

(House by the hill)

“You want me to what?” Flash balked loudly nearly sputtering his drink all over the place. “You want me to date who? Why?”

Ha… she knew that this would be his reaction. Not really much of a surprise but still… the man should be more intoned.

“Rainbow Dash.” Rarity clarified doing her best to appear a calm as the wind but on the inside she was just as panicky as Flash was. “And not actual dating darling. It’s just playing pretend. Rainbow Dash made the unfortunate mistake of claiming to her parents that you were her… ugh… boyfriend.” She shivered at that last word.

“Again… why?” He directed the question to the sports girl who looked back guiltily.

“I was under duress, alright? They were gonna set me up with their friend’s kids and stuff. They were planning on playdates and meetings. They looked so happy and I didn’t want to make them feel bad, so I did the logical thing and picked someone out instead.”

The logical thing would be to tell them the truth darling. Not this.

“Ok but why me?”

“I’m afraid you’ll have to ask her.” Rarity thumbed over to her multi-colored-hair friend. “Apparently you made quite the impression with her mother.”

“But we only saw each other one time and that was like… half a minute?”

Rainbow scoffed. “Yeah… my mom has a very hyperactive imagination. She tends to do make up scenarios and stuff. And you’re pretty much the first guy I ever brought to our place so she technically made up the whole thing in her head. But the matching jacket we wore kind of sealed the whole deal for her.”

“In other words: It’s completely your fault.” Rarity added judgingly earning a scowl from her friend. “So to ensure that Rainbow’s parents don’t go playing matchmaker, we have to sell the idea that the two of you are in a steady relationship.”

“Do I get a say in this?”

She eyed Flash, shrugging. “Naturally. You have the option to say no. But…” She pointed to the Rainbow Dash.

“Please Flash!” Rainbow begged, hands clasped together. “I’m asking for a big favor just this once. I promise I’ll make it up to you somehow. Please?” Ah… the art of begging. Never fails to soften a simpleton’s heart.

Flash dragged a hand down his face in frustration. “Ugh… I dunno you two. This sounds kind of… messy.” That’s one way to describe it. Honestly a part of her wished that he did decline. That would certainly teach Rainbow to be more honest and face her problems head on.

“Pretty please?”

“Wouldn’t it be better if you just told them the truth?”

“Triple pretty please with cherry on top?”

“It seems rather excessive.”

“Please?”

“But…”

“Please please please please please please~~~~!?” She added that last bit with a puppy dog pout, pressing her hair against his arm. A classic seduction technique. The boy held fast against her charms. But to go against such cuteness, such desperation and bland seduction, he faltered.

His expression mellowed instantly in defeat. A groan escaped him, along with a faint smile. “Alright fine. I suppose one little act can’t hurt.”

“Yes!” Rainbow beamed bringing the boy in for a big hug. “Thank you thank you thank you! You’re a lifesaver Flash. You won’t regret this. I promise.” Somehow she feels like that wasn’t gonna be the case.

“Let’s save the thanks for later.” He casually pushed her away. “So how are we gonna trick your parents into believing that we’re together-together? Do we just play it slow or…?”

“That’s where I come in, darling.” Rarity raised her hand up proudly. “We imitate the script of Emerald Oaks, Season 2 Episode 5.”

“Emerald Oaks?” Flash tilted his head completely dumbfounded. “That TV drama show?”

“Precisely.” She paced around the two judging their fashion from top to bottom. “We’ll add a few extra additions to the lines here and there but the routine should be all the same. You’ll be invited to a dinner date at Rainbow Dash’s place tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow!?” They yelled.

“So soon?”

“On New Year’s Eve-Eve!?”

But Rarity remained firm on that decision. There was no way in heck she was gonna let this whole shenanigan linger any longer than it needed to. “Why of course darlings! The sooner we get this whole charade done, the sooner we can get back to our ordinary lives.” Rainbow Dash tried to protest but couldn’t really come up with anything better. “Now. Before we proceed, we’ll need to make it look like you two are actually going out. But seeing as this is still a very new relationship, we have to take it slow. Like snail kind of slow.” Her eyes wandered around them before her fingers snapped. “I got it. Rainbow, you still have Flash’s matching jacket?”

“Uh… yeah.”

“Good. Wear that when you two meet. It’ll sell the scene much more convincingly. And it’ll hide that old fashion of yours.”

“What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?”

Rarity gave her a look. “Other than it being three seasons old? Everything. We need to make it look like you’re putting some effort for this whole dating thing. Change up your style a tad bit here and there. The jacket is only the cream of the crop. Put on a different colored skirt. Oh! And maybe add some accessories like a pin or necklace. Jewelry never fails to make ladies shine.”

Rainbow stared. “I don’t do jewelry.”

“You do and you will do it now.” Rarity gave a threatening tone before she turned to the other actor. “And Flash.” The boy stood stiffer than a board. “You’re fine. Just go as you are.”

“Uh… thanks?”

“Now I’ve printed out the script you need to memorize to heart.” Rarity then produced two stacks of paper and handed it over to them like she had been preparing for this moment. “No need to stick to every word. Just get the feelings down and you should all be fine. Remember: You need to sell the scene so try to sound passionate, awkward, like a young couple in love!”

“Right~.” Flash flipped through the pages and whistled cautiously. “This sounds more complicated than it needs to be. Can’t I just… you know… pop in and say hi?”

“Of course not! This isn’t just some gathering. First time meetings are very important. It will be crucial. Her parents will judge you for all your worth. You must be strong, but open. Not intimidating, but firm. Pleasant and polite, but not show weakness. Even a single wrong word can spell disaster! The main character of Emerald Oak said so herself.”

“Did she? Because I don’t remember this part in the episode.”

“Tut tut. Let’s start rehearsing. Flash. I want genuine feelings from you. And Rainbow. Don’t forget to smile dear. You’re with your boyfriend and family so always try to keep a cheerful appearance. We can’t have your sulky disposition ruin this whole charade.”

“Ugh… fine.” Rainbow looked at her script boringly and immediately noted something strange. “Uh… why are my pages blank?”

“That’s because you won’t be saying anything.” Rarity clarified taking a seat by her chair. “This dinner will mostly be your parents interrogating Flash. So he will be doing most of the talking. Besides, we all know that the less you open your mouth, the less chance you’ll have to mess this up.” It was harsh but it was true. That girl’s mouth can get her in more trouble than an electric disco ball in a funeral. “Now be quiet on the set while I run our darling Flash here through some pointers. We have a lot to do and not a lot of time to practice.”

(Equestria) (Castle of Friendship)

Sunset had almost forgotten how it felt to have a properly functioning magical laboratory. While the technology of the human world can be convenient, it’s nothing compared to the ingenuity of well-trained magicians. No more thermos or beakers or paying electricity bills. It was all just magic from here on. Magic and spells.

“And done.” Starlight announced as she whisked the magical object from the table. “You were right. This thing really is enchanted with magic. A very complex one too if I may add. Where’d you say you got this?”

She shrugged. “It’s from a friend. Kind of like a collector. Can you tell me what kind of magic at least?”

“Well… from what I can gather over a quick look, it seems to be nothing more than a simple searching spell.” Starlight placed the compass back on the table as she explained. “But it’s interwoven on the artifact unlike anything I’ve ever seen. It searches for anything bearing strong ties to magic and directs the arrow towards it. See?” She gave an example by using her horn which sparked the compass to point towards her. “Short, simple but very effective.”

“And is it the same from… Ez… Ez… ma?”

“Ezaquatel.” She corrected. “The land of untamed magic, according to Sunburst’s description. And yes it is. The magic resonance is identical to the bracelet and the Portal Stone you brought. This should be more than enough to confirm our suspicions. I don’t suppose you’ll let me keep the compass for a while? I’m sure Starswirl will want to take a look at it once he gets back from the other world.”

That would be grand. With all the tools this place had, they’d be able to make that compass sing like a tuneless guitar. But unfortunately, it also came with a pretty bad warranty.

“Sorry Starlight. I’d love to leave it here, but I can’t. It’s kind of on loan at the moment.”

The purple pony gave a look. “Hmph. I can say the same about the stuff I let you borrow.” But she digressed and returned it either way, the red pony stuffing it into her satchel.

“Sorry. I’ll be sure to return every one of those relics as soon as things settle down. I promise.”

“Emm hmm…” She didn’t look that certain. “You know many of those things are extremely dangerous. The Alicorn Amulet in particular. Are you sure you can’t return just that one instead?”

“Nope. At least not yet.” Sunset reassured her, nudging her snout away. “It’s kind of a last resort thing. And don’t worry. I already made sure that it won’t corrupt me.”

“And how do you get it to do that? When Trixie used it, it corrupted her almost immediately. She even ruled over Ponyvile for a couple of days.”

“That’s because I don’t use the magic directly.” Sunset explained. “I merge it with my geode. So whenever I use the amulet, my necklace becomes a filter for all that bad magic. So you have absolutely no need to worry about me going all conquering evil…… again.”

“Oh please.” Starlight shrugged her history off like it was nothing. “If we’re talking about who’s the most evil around here, I got you beat by a mile, sister. I once almost destroyed the fabric of the universe by using an ancient time-traveling spell.”

“That doesn’t sound like something you should boast about.”

“I know. But trust me. Whenever you start thinking that you’re bad or evil, just think of me… and you’ll feel all better.” Starlight threw her head in distraught. “Alright fine. You can keep the Alicorn Amulet. But just so you know: Twilight isn’t gonna like it when she finds out that I gave YOU some dangerous artifacts from the vault.”

“I’ll be sure to explain it to her myself.”

“Good.” She nodded back, accepting the conclusion. “And speaking of Twilight. Have you decided who you’re bringing as your Plus-1 to the coronation?” Sunset drew a blank which pretty much answered her question. “You do remember that Twilight’s coronation is in two days… right?”

“Uh… yeah… totally.” She didn’t. Though to be honest, a lot of things have been going through her mind lately. “Actually… thinking about it now. I think I’ll skip it.”

“WHAT!?” Starlight snapped, coming face to face with the red maned pony. “Are you out of your mind!? This is the coronation party. The only coronation party in like… EVER! Do you not understand how rare these invitations are!?”

Ok… personal space please.

“It’s just that with everything happening back at home, I don’t think I’ll have the time to attend. With all this magic fiasco and my financial problems, I’ll be too busy keeping my life together.”

“But Twilight made the whole reservation. She’ll be so disappointed.” Oh come on. Don’t do that pouty face. Now you’re just making me feel guilty. “Won’t you reconsider?”

“I… I can’t. I just can’t afford it. If things starts to go wrong and if I’m not there…”

“Oh come on.” Starlight insisted. “It’s just one afternoon. Surely nothing bad can happen just because you’re not there for a few hours. And it would mean so much for Twilight if you just showed up and say hi. She’s actually been looking forward to seeing you again.”

“I wouldn’t really want to bother her especially with her new duties.”

“Exactly!” The purple pony exclaimed. “This might be the only chance you get to see the Princess. Once she’s crowned, she’ll officially be the new ruler of all Equestria. She’ll be busy ruling an entire nation. There’s no telling when you’ll be able to see each other again after.”

“Wow… when you put it like that it does sound pretty important.”

“It is important! Why else would she send you an invitation?”

Sunset sighed and hovered the invite in front of her. The ink on the letter still visible.

“Can you at least consider?” Starlight pleaded. “There’s still two days left before the coronation. Please. It would mean so much to her.”

“I…” Another sigh. “Alright. I’ll give it some thought. Just… don’t expect much.”

And even if I did want to come… who was I even gonna bring?

(Museum of Natural History)

30 minutes left till closing time.

Maud let out a breath as she filed the last of her folders into her desk. Normally the head clerk would be in charge of filing all manner of paperwork around here but she took her leave early saying she wants to spend time with her family.

It was fine. It’s not like this place had a list of visitors coming in. After the Yaztec exhibition a few months back, this whole place has become a ghost town, and even more so after the fire that caused untold damage on the new wing. Nowadays the only people that come here are construction workers, employees and maybe the occasional rare tourist who saw their pamphlet or flyers across town.

Maud didn’t mind being a stand in. With the holidays up and about, getting a part time job around here was practically impossible. So anything that can generate revenue was a godsend at this point. Not that she needed it, but shopping gifts for the whole family wasn’t exactly easy especially with Limestone’s expensive taste. The eldest of the Pie sisters always had an interest for the fancier things in life.

Having her usual deadpanned stare, the girl checked the time on the clock and nodded. “Looks like we get to close early today, Boulder.” Her pet rock simply responded by being completely still. “That’s actually a good idea. We should stop by the Sweet Shoppe. Pinkie will definitely love some cake.” She reached into her desk producing a set of keys. “I’ll go and lock up the other rooms. You stay here and keep watch.”

She went off with a small smile, doing the same routine she had been so accustomed to after working in this museum for over a year. She knew all the hallways, all the corners, all the items, rocks and bones placed in every area like it was her own personal backyard.

The only one she hadn’t really got a hang of was the new wing that they were rebuilding.

While she wouldn’t say it out loud. There was something odd about that place. And she wasn’t talking about the relics placed there as well. There was just a feeling. A feeling of being unwelcomed. A chill that made her skin crawl.

And that feeling only grew larger when she came upon that place and saw the Chalice of Wishes floating in midair with a blue hue glowing around it.

“Huh…… that’s something you don’t see every day.”

PreviousChapters Next