• Published 10th Nov 2019
  • 5,193 Views, 843 Comments

Equestria Girls: Love Is Magic - onekface



A new enemy threatens Sunset's new home. It craves magic and it craves all who has it. She and her friends must rise to face it. But they can't do it alone. Flash x Mane 7

  • ...
19
 843
 5,193

PreviousChapters Next
The Fog Thickens

Chapter 25: The Fog Thickens

(Wednesday) (Early morning) (Rarity’s house)

“You were attacked!?” Sunset’s voice nearly deafened the room. Though no one could really blame her at this point. When she woke up this morning she expected the day to go on by just like any other. But instead she received a call from Applejack reporting another magical incident.

It was another home invasion. A shadow monster had snuck its way to the sanctuary of one of her friends and attacked her in the dead of night. And from the looks of the damage done in the house, she can tell that a rough battle took place here.

Thankfully the damage was limited to the inside of the house. Broken furniture, tossed up trinkets here and there. But the most damaging of all was Rarity’s private workshop. All the tools, fabric and schematics for her fashion design were all torn up. Even her prized sowing machine was broken right down the middle. It was as if someone had gone through the place searching for something.

“Shhhh… quiet.” Rainbow Dash was surprisingly the one to shush her. “You wanna wake up the whole neighborhood?” The whole gang had gathered at the scene of the crime finding Rarity alive and unharmed – mostly anyway. The only scraps she had was from a fall she took when she fought those monsters causing a bruise around her shoulder. Nothing a little makeup can’t hide.

“It’s quite alright darling. I’m not hurt.” Not physically at least. “Just a little shaken that’s all. Though I’m feeling a lot better now that you’re all here.”

“But you’re sure that the ones that attack you are shadow monsters?” Twilight inquired leaning by her injured friend.

“Absolutely. They had all the hallmarks of the devilish ones. They were deathly afraid when I shined a little light on them and they slithered inside the shadows like those beastly wolves. Though these ones looked more like snakes than dogs.” Her attention was grabbed by Pinkie when the bubbly gal offered her a cup of hot coco. “Thank you sweetie.”

“Chocolate makes everything better.”

“But how?” Applejack questioned. “I thought we saw the last of those things when we beat Cinch. She shouldn’t be able to use magic without her bracelet.”

“Looks like she got a new one.” Rainbow Dash hissed. “And it looks like she’s back to her old tricks. I say we visit that old lady and show her who she’s dealing with!”

“I agree with Rainbow Dash.” The cowgirl nodded pumping her fists together. “If Cinch wants a rematch, she’ll get one.”

“Let’s not be too hasty here.” Twilight objected though she could understand their thirst for vengeance. “According to what Cadance told me, Cinch doesn’t remember a thing. She has amnesia.”

“Pfft. Yeah right.” Rainbow scoffed. “That’s just something that happens on stories. Amnesia doesn’t really happen to people.” There was a lot to pick on that sentence but no one had the time and patience to correct her.

“Well we’re not going to find her standing here.” Sunset nodded in agreement. “As much as I hate to say it: We need to find Cinch and get some answers out of her. But we shouldn’t all go at once or it’ll look suspicious. Twilight and I don’t have any morning exams. We’ll go visit her while the rest of you stay.”

“Umm… question.” Fluttershy raised her hand up like a student in class. “Shouldn’t we call the authorities for this? Like the Police?”

“No! No police, no authorities! Absolutely none of that.” Rarity voiced her opinion loudly much to everyone’s shock. “I’m… I’m sorry darling but with my position at Hoity Toity’s pageant show, I just can’t afford to have any kind of bad publicity on my part. It would bring unwanted attention. A scandal at this time will jeopardize my position and I may lose this once in a lifetime opportunity. And word might reach school as well. And you heard Principal Celestia. She doesn’t want any magic related incidents near there.”

“But what will you do about all this damage?” Twilight pointed out to the wrecked workshop.

“I’ll have someone fix it easily. Though… I don’t think I’ll be staying here for the night. I’ll have to find a hotel for me and Sweetie Belle.”

“Don’t you be going anywhere fancy just yet.” Applejack spoke with a stern tone. “You can stay at my place until all of this gets sorted out. It’ll be like a sleepover. We can bunk together at my room while your sister can hang out with Apple Bloom. It might not be a 5 star hotel like you wanted but I reckon you’ll want a powerhouse like me just in case those shadows decide to show up again.”

Rarity smiled thankfully at her friend and nodded. She’ll take anywhere but here. At least until the shadow monsters are dealt with.

“Then it’s settled.” Sunset stated to which everyone nodded back. “Twilight and I will go find Cinch. We’ll keep you all posted. If you don’t hear from us by noon, that means we’re in trouble.”

“I’m going too.” Rainbow Dash volunteered. “No one hurts my friends and gets away with it.”

(Hoity Toity Trendsetter)

Hoity stood at the center of his shop that morning casting a glance over the rising sun. He puffed a sigh when he noted his dark gemstone shining with a sickening color. He quickly closed the blinds darkening the store and made sure no one was around to see or hear him. There was a strange impatience in his footsteps as he brought his bracelet out and let it glow.

A portal tore through space and time calling forth an ethereal being from the other side. The fashion star knelt to the floor as feminine figure approached him.

“Hoity...” The lady on the other side of the portal spoke in a dark threatening tone. “What is the meaning of this? My agent in Canterlot reported that you have used your magic out of line. Explain yourself!”

“Forgive me Master. But there… has been a... complication.” While her face was not visible he could tell that she displeased with the word. “I know you did not wish for me to intervene with the children from the CHS. But I had to take the initiative.”

“The children are not a threat to us. Their victory over Cinch should've returned them to dormancy. Your attack on them only jeopardizes our position.”

“I assure you that the risk was necessary. It has come to my attention that the girls has come into possession of a Travel Stone.”

The shrouded figure went deathly quiet as the anger she resonated suddenly vanished. Her figure stood still while her voice coarse. “A Travel Stone? How is that possible?”

“I do not know, Master. But there is no doubt about it. Somehow they were able to acquire one.” He spoke up quickly, showing the urgency of this matter.

“Impossible!” She hissed. “There was no mention of any portal around the area. I would’ve known.” Her eyes sharpened at her henchman. “Did you retrieve it?”

“No Master. I sent my minions to find it but they were unable to locate it. I believe the item in question is with one of the others. However… I do not think they know of its true function just yet.”

“Whether they know it or not is irrelevant. A relic of such power in their hands is just as dangerous as a lit torch near a powder keg. They’re children playing with powers beyond their comprehension. This cannot be allowed.”

“Shall I wait for the others to arrive?”

She thought for a moment before shaking her head in response. “That will take too long and they will most likely find the stone’s true purpose by then. You will have to make do with what you have. While I do not condone your barbaric methods, the situation demands it. The recovery of the Travel Stone takes precedence." Her eyes quietly narrowed. "Do what you must to recover it. Spare no effort. Report to me once you have it.”

A sadistic grin crept up to his lips as he hid it with a bow. “It shall be done, Master.” Satisfied with his answer, the portal mysteriously vanished leaving him alone with his shadow. “You can come out now, ladies.”

Three shadowy figures exited from the dark, smiling evilly.

“Are we free to act?”

“Can we swat and smack?”

“Or are we still held back?”

Hoity returned their grin with his own. “Now now ladies. Be a little more patient. While I want you all to go wild in this city, we must be tactful as well.” He held up a series of photos depicting each of Rarity’s closest friends. “Search the homes of each of these children. Find the stone, recover it. You may do as you like to any of them afterward.”

They giggled and laughed maniacally like children having their favorite treats being dangled in front of them. And like the snake that they were, they vanished into the darkness enacting their master’s will.

(Silver Stable Retirement Home)

“So this is the place.” Sunset heard Rainbow Dash growl with a menacing voice as Twilight drove into the parking lot. She was referring to the almost criminally innocent looking place called the Silver Stable Retirement Home. The place was so clean and nice looking that one might hardly think something sinister was happening within its walls. “The werewolf’s lair.”

“Werewolf?”

“Shhh! I’m trying to get in character here.”

Sunset rolled her eyes but took another glance and questioned. “You sure this is the right place Twilight?”

“A hundred percent.” She replied pulling the emergency handbrakes upward. “According to what Cadance said, Professor Cinch was transferred from Canterlot Hospital to the Silver Stable Retirement Home for her health. Apparently Crystal Prep has a very generous severance package to all its staff. It's pretty good if you ask me.”

“So how are we doing this?” Rainbow Dash asked from the backseat. “Do we Pony-Up now and go bust through the walls like action heroes or do we sneak in through the back entrance like spies?”

“Actually we’re just going through the front door.” Sunset stated like a matter of factly.

“What? No light show? No action? Come on!” She complained from the backseat. "This is totally not making up for that adventure you two had without me. I wanna fight a giant cyclops too!"

“We’re not here to start a fight Rainbow Dash. Besides, there’s too much sun going around. If Cinch even tries anything, she won’t be able to bring out her pets out in broad daylight. Now come on.”

“Pfft… so much for action adventure.”

xxxxxxxxxx

The three of them headed in finding the retirement home rather… what they expected of a retirement home. The lobby doubled as a lounge where some of the elderly residents hung around taking quick naps or reading the daily newspapers. Rainbow Dash expected something far sinister, like some of these geezers pretending to be senile and then BAM! They become deadly ninjas ambushing them like in one of those action movies.

But sadly for her, the biggest threat these geezers provided was bad breath.

“Umm… excuse me.” Twilight called out.

The receptionist looked up from the book she was reading and smiled. “Yes? How may I help you?”

“Do you have a resident named Professor Cinch?”

“Cinch?” She tilted her head in thought as she repeated that name out loud. “Cinch… hmm… oh!” If this was a cartoon, a light bulb would’ve popped above her head. “You mean Abacus Cinch. Yes. I believe so. Normally we don't allow visitors this early but I suppose I can let you three in. She’s probably at the activity lounge practicing for her play. It’s the big yellow building just beyond the courtyard. You can’t miss it.”

And she was right on that regard. It was practically the largest structure in the entire complex towering over the whole area with its lively color. The Retirement House seemed to focus entirely on it like it was the center of attention.

This place had everything. A gym, a yoga studio, cafeteria with a large variety of food, private apartments, and even a giant swimming pool. You could want for nothing around here.

“Whoa… cool crib.” Sunset waxed. “When I grow wrinkly and old like them, this is the place I’d retire to.”

Twilight chuckled. “Don’t get too far ahead. We still have our whole life ahead of us. I don’t plan to retire until I won at least four Nobel Prizes. That or a few science grants.”

“Aiming high?”

“Meh… I consider that to be above average. My high expectations would be reaching the moon as an astronaut.”

“Guys! Focus!” Rainbow Dash warned them. “We’re behind enemy lines here. Are you forgetting that we’re about to meet with the woman who nearly sucked all our magic?”

Surprisingly enough, Sunset agreed. Cinch nearly had them back in the parking lot the other night. If she was still up to no good, they’d have to be on their guard even with the sun above them.

A few minutes later they entered the lounge finding it designed like a theater. Rows of bleachers were placed on one side facing a giant stage on the opposite end. On it were a number of costumed folks reciting lines like they were practicing an old Shakespearean play. One of them was dressed like a king while the others were peasants and knights.

“Great.” Sunset whined. “How do we know which one is Cinch?”

“I guess we ask around?” Twilight shrugged as she approached the stage cautiously. “Excuse me.” The costumed folks turned to them in their masks. “You wouldn’t happen to know where we can find Ms. Cinch?”

“Cinch?” One of them tilted their heads. “Oh! You mean Abby. Our leading star player.”

Abby? Star player?

“Wasn’t she practicing her lines here a second ago?” Another peasant spoke up.

“I thought she was with Suzie.” A knight added. “Said something about prepping for the roller skating derby.” This went on for another minute before the trio glanced to one another and shrugged.

"Well that a big help." Sunset groaned.

“Should we try somewhere else?” Rainbow Dash suggested.

“This place is pretty huge. We’ll never be able to find Cinch like this.”

“Oh you don’t have to look far.” A voice snaked its way behind them freezing the blood in their veins. Slowly they turned their heads around to meet with the said woman, her face practically inches from them. “I have been expecting you, children. MWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!”

“AHHHHHH!!!!”

(A few minutes later)

“I am terribly sorry about that.” Professor… no… Ms. Cinch apologized for what seemed to be the fifth or sixth time already. She was decked from head to toe like some kind of magician complete with a replica magic wand. “I was practicing my lines for the play. I didn't mean to frighten you.” She poured the girls each a cup of tea and slid it across the table with a gentle wave. “Earl Grey? It’s fresh.”

The three of them looked at the teacups like they were poison. And maybe they were. She would take them out with an innocent drink and would eliminate them later when they’re weakened.

Their hearts were beating faster and not in a good way either.

“Uh… no thank you.” Twilight managed to force the words out, her face still pale from the earlier fright. One hand clutching over her geode just in case the woman tried to make any sudden moves.

“It seems like I took my role as the Wicked Witch of the Western Woods a little too seriously.” The old lady chuckled, taking her witch hat off. “Maybe I should dial it down a bit.”

“N… no. Not at all. I think you really nailed the part.”

The woman’s smile was genuine as she nodded. An appreciative glance followed afterward as she took a sip off her own cup. “So how can I help you girls? I assume you were looking for me with all that racket?”

“Wait…” Twilight blinked, her expression twisting to confusion. “You… don’t recognize us?”

Abacus gently blew the steam off her cup as her expression remained unchanged. “Should I?”

Sunset’s face grew curious too. She’d like to say that she can read people but this time however, her opinion varied. When she first saw Cinch back in the museum, she could tell that she was annoyed, angry or even showing hints of hatred at her. And it wasn’t like she was hiding it. But now she was practically smiling like a Grandma coddling her grandchildren. There was no hint of malice or hatred at all. It was as if she was a totally different person. Either that lady really had amnesia or she was the greatest actress in all of Canterlot.

“Professor Cinch, you…”

“Please. Call me Abby.” She insisted waving to some elderlies that passed by. “It’s what all my friends call me here these days. Cinch sounds a bit crude for my liking.” There was a humored pause in her tone. “Professor…? Hmm… now that you mention it, that young lady in the hospital called me that too. Cadim?”

“Cadance.” Twilight corrected, which felt strangely odd doing so. “She’s a friend.”

“Right right. Cadance. Such a sweet lady, worrying about me like that. Oh!” Her eyes shot up as if she realized something. “I see now. You must be my students. Oh this explains it.”

“It does?” Rainbow whispered to no one in particular.

“You… really don’t remember us?” Sunset asked dipping her toe in that water.

But again Abacus shook her head disappointingly. “I’m afraid not. My memory isn’t what it used to be. Then again I hardly remember anything at all since I woke up in the hospital.” Wow… that really is a bad case of amnesia.

“I’m Twilight Sparkle.” The girl introduced herself expecting some kind of reaction. But to her amazement all she got in return was a blank stare. “I used to be one of your students.”

Again she shook her head in reply. “I’m sorry dear. I wish I could remember you but I’m afraid I’m coming up empty on my part.”

“You really don’t remember me?”

“No. And I feel terrible for not remembering such an adorable face.” Her hand reached in to pinch Twilight’s cheeks which sent chills down her spine. “Now… was there something you wanted? I take it you didn’t come all the way here just to visit little old me.”

There was a reason – or there used to be. They wanted to accuse her of attacking their friend as she was the only person they knew who could control shadow monsters. But looking at her now, that wicked witch they knew somehow turned into a sweet adorable granny.

“Uh… ok. I’m gonna go on a long shot here.” Rainbow Dash opted looking like she was going on a Hail Mary approach. “But you wouldn’t happen to know anything about shadow monsters or magical artifacts, would you?”

“Monsters and what now?” Abacus raised a brow in confusion for a brief moment until a spark came by. There was a reaction. “Oh! Are you talking about my costume?” Nope. No dice there. But it was a good effort. “It does look rather believable, doesn’t it? Every seams are hand stitched. They may look real but I assure you, they’re just make believe.” And it really was. Even the fabric looked old and wrinkly. Rarity would certainly approve in her own way.

“Hey Abby!” A fellow elderly actor, dressed in a jester’s costume, called out from the stage. “You’re needed on set. We’re rehearsing scene 5.”

‘Abby’ practically beamed on the spot. “Oh! That’s my cue. I’m sorry girls, but the stage awaits!”

“One last thing!” Sunset abruptly interjected raising her hand up. “It’s… really nice to meet you again Ms. Cinch.” The old lady returned the gesture grabbing the girl’s hands gently with a nod, unaware of the power that flowed through.

It took a few seconds but by then she had gone up to the stage joining her fellow actors leaving the girls to ponder on the strangest of conversations.

“Ok. I can’t be the only one creeped out by that, right?” Rainbow Dash asked, feeling the hair on her head standing on ends like pincushions.

Twilight nodded in turn. “I’m with you on that. It’s strange to see Principal Cinch so… nice.” She shuddered. “And I never imagined I’d get to say ‘Cinch’ and ‘Nice’ in the same sentence.” Oh she was totally beyond nice. She looked like the kind of woman who would be perfect for the witch in the gingerbread house. Luring children into her sweet little home before throwing them into the oven and brewing them into a tasty stew.

“I’m still not buying this whole amnesia thing. It feels… too convenient.”

“She could’ve easily took us out when she snuck up behind us. I don’t see the point in her lying now.”

“So what’s the verdict Sunset?” They turned to their resident mind reader. “Did you see anything? Is she for real or is she faking it?” The redhead sat back down and looked at her hand, her powers freshly burning at the fingers.

“Sunset? You ok?”

“I’m fine. But… Cinch. She’s… not.” Sunset stuttered, not really sure how to put the feeling. “She definitely doesn’t remember us – or anything for that matter. She doesn’t even remember the fight we had in the parking lot. The Relics in the museum, the black gemstone. Nothing. It’s like her mind was wiped clean. And that’s not even the strangest part.”

“It’s not?”

“No. Because… I felt this kind of magic before.” She dreaded. “It’s the same one from the Memory Stone.”

The artifact jogged some events in their heads. Twilight in particular remembered that relic. It was a magical item that manipulated people’s memories. Wallflower Blush used it once before and nearly caused untold damage to those around her.

“But the Memory Stone was destroyed. We all saw it.”

“I know. But that’s all I can think of.” Sunset mumbled still having difficulties believing it too. She didn’t exactly have very fond memories of that artifact. “It would also explain why Cinch doesn’t remember us. Someone must’ve used it to erase her memories.”

Rainbow Dash on the other hand seemed to accept this explanation. “Well it certainly sounds more plausible than this whole amnesia thing. I knew people just don’t lose their memories like that. It’s like saying that whacking your head hard enough will make you forget stuff. And that only happens in cartoons.”

“So what now?” Twilight inquired. “We can’t exactly question her if she literally doesn’t remember anything.”

She was right. But that doesn’t mean the threat is gone. If Cinch wasn’t the perp who attacked Rarity last night, then who was? Their list of enemies was pretty long around here and Sunset wasn’t keen on the idea to sit around and do nothing while someone was hunting them.

“First thing’s first. We need a safe place.” She suggested. “If someone is out there looking for us, we need to have a place where we can make our stand. A place where we can all gather without endangering people. A place where only the seven of us know of.”

“You mean like a club house?” Rainbow Dash asked excitingly. It wasn’t really what she was stating but it was close enough.

“I hate to say it, but I think you’re right.” Twilight sighed in distraught. “With all the magical incidents happening around us, it’ll be nice to have a place where we can all feel safe. But how are we going to do that? Real-estate business isn’t exactly cheap. We can’t just go out there and find some property like before.”

“It’ll have to be somewhere where we can get to, easily.” Sunset added. “Somewhere out of the city. I’ll do some research and see if we can get a place for cheap. Until then we should probably keep our guard up just in case. I’m not liking this situation one bit.”

“I’ll text the others and tell them we’re alright.” But just as she picked her phone up, she fumbled when Cinch came by. “Bwah! How do you keep doing that?”

“Oh terribly sorry dear. I actually remembered something.” Abacus said innocently. “Twilight Sparkle, yes?” The girl in question nodded clumsily. “I knew I saw your name somewhere before. I completely forgot about it.” She pulled out a small object from her pocket, handing it over to her former student, to which she instantly recognized. “I take it this is yours?”

“My data drive!” Twilight snatched it quickly. “How did you…?”

“It was the only thing I had on me when I woke up in the hospital.” The amnesiac witch explained. “Your name was signed on it so I thought of you. I tried opening it once or twice. But I cannot, for the life of me, remember the password." Yeah. Having your memories stolen can do that to you. "I do hope it helps.”

Surprisingly enough, it just might.

(CHS) (Cafeteria) (Afternoon)

Flash grumbled lowly as he made his way through the cafeteria rubbing the back of his hand. The injury he suffered from the lightning bolt has already healed but the itch still remained for some reason. No… if he was right, the itch only got worse as time passed. It even got so bad that playing his guitar causes the wound to react. The school nurse told him it that it was most likely allergies and not an infection and gave him ointment to alleviate the itch. Still… he hoped that it was the case. The last thing he wanted was to chop his hand off because of magic.

Arriving at the cafeteria the boy spotted the members of the CIC – or at the very least half of them. As he approached, he noted something wrong in their appearance. They huddled around the table, poking boringly at their food. Normally these girls would be the most active of the bunch, Pinkie Pie especially. But now they were quieter than a graveyard, whispering to one another like they didn’t want others to hear them.

“Hey guys.” He called out as he approached earning some mixed looks from the gang. “What’s the matter? You guys look worse for wear.”

“Oh… hey Flash.” Applejack greeted gesturing him to the empty chair next to her. “Yeah that’s one way to say it. Though it’s mostly just Rarity feeling it.” The fashionista nodded back keeping her exhausted face away.

“Did something happen?”

“Rarity was attacked by shadow monsters last night.” Fluttershy answered causing his eyes to bulge upward.

“What!?” He covered his mouth when they hushed him. “Are you ok?”

“I’m fine darling. Nothing to be alarmed. The only thing that was damaged was my workshop. I’m unharmed… physically at least.”

“Really? You don’t look so good.”

“It’s just… exhaustion. I didn’t get a wink of sleep which can’t be good for my complexion. Not to mention I still have the deadline with Hoity. The stress just keeps building over. It’ll take me forever to get my lineup.”

“I don’t get it.” Flash added. “I thought the whole thing with Cinch was over.”

“We thought the same thing.” Applejack nodded. “But apparently this whole fiasco ain’t over just yet. Either she’s up to her old tricks or someone else is playing for the other team. Whichever it is, I’m not really comfortable having to fight another monster.”

“Same here.” Fluttershy shuddered at the thought. “Just knowing that there’s someone out to get us, gives me the fright. I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep at all without my nightlight.”

“I think sticking together is the right idea.” The cowgirl agreed. “Strength in numbers is what I say. If those creepy crawlies show their faces, you’ll at least have someone to watch your back. I just wish we knew what’s really going on and who’s attacking us. And if they’re really out to get us, I’d at least like to know why.”

It was clear that this recent attack against Rarity had shaken the girls to their core. They’ve always managed to handle whatever problem was thrown their way but this one seemed different. This wasn’t just some random magic going rampant or some twisted form of monsters. Something or someone was actively targeting them and it knew exactly where they were and where they live. Who’s to say that this enemy won’t simply attack them in their sleep?

“So what’s the plan?” Flash inquired, ready to provide whatever assistance he can.

“Not really sure.” Applejack groaned. “Right now we’re just waiting for Sunset and Twilight to give us the stakes. Though honestly, I’d feel a lot better if we had a place to hold up. Like… a safe space. I really don’t want my farm to be a repeat of last time.” Flash would’ve volunteered to help cover the damage but his dad wouldn’t approve that kind of spending a second time. He was pretty clear that charity wasn’t his thing. He wanted to help out too. But knowing Sunset, she’d probably find a way to bar his path saying that it was for his own protection or something along the line.

God, he was sick of that excuse.

Still… that didn’t mean he couldn’t help some other way.

(Twilight’s house) (Later that night)

Twilight’s computer hummed eerily that night as the girl looked to her small data drive. It was a small purple device that she used back during her time in Crystal Prep Academy. Her initials were written on top with permanent ink. It even still had that glow-in-the-dark sticker she put on a decorations that Shining Armor gave to her some time ago. This was definitely hers.

Various thoughts and scenarios ran through her head and none of them good. She was always keen on getting answers. After all, knowledge was something she coveted greatly. Whether it was good or bad, she always felt the need of acquiring the answer to everything.

But now for the first time in what felt like forever, she hesitated.

The data drive dangled between her fingers as decided on what to do with it. It contained much of her research back in when magic was new to her, but it has also been in the hands of the madwoman. And with everything that’s happened, who knows what sort of devilish information she would find in there.

Finally she drew the strength from her reserve and plugged the device in. The monitor came to life with a progress bar filling slowly. She groaned loudly, slumping at her chair.

“Uh Twilight. You ok?” Her pet dog asked, worries dripping from the tone of his voice. “You’ve been sighing and groaning for two days straight now. Is something wrong?”

“No…” She paused on that answer. “Well yes. A little bit. I’m just worried. Everything’s happening so fast nowadays, it’s hard to decide what to do. This whole magic fiasco is taking a lot of my time lately. And with graduation coming next year, Timber asking me to move with him, and the search for a new apartment, I feel a bit… overwhelmed.”

“Did you give him an answer? Timber I mean.”

“No. I said that I’d think about it – and that I would also give him an answer by the end of the week. This is… really confusing.” She slumped onto her computer groaning on her keyboard. “What do you think I should do, Spike?”

“You’re asking me?” The mutt pointed to itself. “You do know you’re asking a dog for love advice, right?”

“Well I’ve already asked my friends and they’ve got mixed answers. I asked my brother and he said that every relationship is unique. While I do love Timber and all, and living together would take care of the rent, not to mention the location of his apartment is ideal to my needs. I get the feeling like he’s moving a little too fast. I mean this is a big decision!”

“Again… you’re talking to a dog. Not really sure if animal relationships are similar.”

“What if it’s a mistake? What if things go south in our relationship right as we move in together? We’ll be spending our time in complete misery 24/7! Can you imagine the living arrangements!?”

“My answer to every problem comes in two things: Bones and belly rubs.” He paused. “And the occasional chasing of small furry creatures.”

“Spike! This is serious!”

“Well what else were you expecting out of a dog?” He pointed out to which Twilight groaned and slammed her head on her keyboard. “But if you really want my honest opinion: Follow your gut. That’s what I always do. And right now my gut is saying… feed me.” Twilight rolled her eyes but complied, grabbing a quick dog treat from the cupboard and pouring it into his bowl. “Always trust your gut.”

“Ugh…”

“There there. I’m sure you’ll find an answer soon enough. Why don’t you focus on that thing you brought from Cinch? A little research always cures your mood.”

True enough the girl looked up and discovered that her computer had finished downloading all the data inside the device. The password inside was cracked easily enough. She had an app made in which to crack basic security systems.

As she suspected, all of her files from the days she spent in Crystal Prep were still there, including that wonderful extended essay which earned her an A++ on her freshman year. It was one of her greatest work.

Scrolling down the browser, she came across a few folders with names that caught her interest. And at the middle of it all was a folder on Canterlot High School. A folder which contained the names of her and her friends.

PreviousChapters Next