• Published 10th Nov 2019
  • 5,174 Views, 843 Comments

Equestria Girls: Love Is Magic - onekface



A new enemy threatens Sunset's new home. It craves magic and it craves all who has it. She and her friends must rise to face it. But they can't do it alone. Flash x Mane 7

  • ...
19
 843
 5,174

PreviousChapters Next
Pawns and Pieces

Author's Note:

Hello folks. Happy Quarantine out there. Hope you're keeping yourselves clean and watching your health because it doesn't look like this plague is going anywhere soon.

So remember to wash your hands, be safe, be healthy and more importantly to drop a like and comment!
...
Ok maybe not 'more' important but I'd still like to have this story reach epic status here on the site. :rainbowwild:

Chapter 29: Pawns and Pieces

(Saturday) (Afternoon) (Hoity Toity Trendsetter)

Hoity Toity sat in his office that morning, sipping a cup of coffee while enjoying a brief respite from his work. Another deal has been done and another wealthy clientele has left his store with a satisfied smile on her face.

That woman had practically brought one of everything in his boutique leaving a hefty sum of money in his cash register. His employees will be spending the next few hours counting it down to the last coin. It left him feeling rather pleased to know that another influential family would be wearing his garments. And knowingly… they probably won’t be wearing anything else for that matter.

The snow was picking up as the winter season finally settled in. He believes another week or so, the streets will be frozen over. He wondered if now would be the perfect time to put out his Winter Collection and join in on the event. The more people wore his designs, then all the better.

His vision of a civilized society would come to fruition once more, all dressed in his designs. Unlike his former partner who had no such imagination in his bones. What purpose is limiting their sales when everyone can wear it? Pfft. He was glad to be rid of that Fancy Pants fellow. He was just holding him down.

The fashion star paused in his drink when he noted another figure entering his store. He recognize the face in the newspaper a few days back. A politician perhaps.

He was about to greet him but pulled a quick stop when he felt his own shadow moving.

The man pulled out his phone pretending to answer a call.

He listened as his minions whispered sweet words into his ears.

“Is that so?” A wicked smile crossed his lips as his shadow continued. “Oh my. Those girls are deliciously deceptive.” He turned his attention to his safe where he kept some of his more… magical items. “What the Master says is true: I really do lack subtlety. Perhaps using all that magic last night rang alarms in their heads.” He let out a soft chuckle, dismissing his shadowy assistant with a wave. “But no matter. If they do plan to strike at me, then it just goes to show that I have to strike first. Let’s see what these girls are made of.”

(Timber’s apartment building)

Twilight can’t remember the last time she saw her boyfriend this happy. Timber was practically going all out in this tour and he was beaming brighter than the city of lights. Ever since she gave him her answer he went out of his way to clear his schedule for the weekend just to spend time with her.

He took her to his neighborhood on the eastside of the city and drove through all the famous locations like one of those tour guides in the airport. He pointed out all the cafes, grocery stores, bus stops, restaurants, bakeries, and even went out of his way to get a look at Everton Academy. Classes had stopped for the holidays but the roads were still serviceable for them to have a quick peek at her future. It was absolutely everything she ever wanted and more. To think, that in just a few months she’ll be transferring here with all of her equipment from home.

The neighborhood bordered Uptown as well so you can see some of the wealthier part of the city close to the roads. Even the rich and snooty folks come by every now and then to take a walk in the park.

And finally, they arrived at their last destination which was the said apartment, which would soon become her new home.

“See? What’d I tell ya?” Timber declared proudly as he parked his car at his personal parking space. “15 minutes from here to Everton back and forth. And with 4 minutes to spare including traffic and road conditions. I might’ve even set a new record.”

Twilight rolled her eye at his cockiness. “Ok speed-racer. Don’t get your head so high in the clouds. I’ll admit that the place does look inviting and the atmosphere is pleasant, and that antique store was a good touch. I’ll give you that.”

“I know, right? You wanted to buy that giant parchment thing right on the spot.”

“It wasn’t a parchment. That was a genuine scroll made out of pure papyrus. It depicted the earliest writing of the first settlers in Saddle Arabia. The historical value alone is immeasurable!”

“Yet the owner was able to put a price on it either way.”

“Pfft. A few hundred is worth a priceless artifact.”

“You were going to barter my car for it.”

She grinned shyly. “I was gonna pay you back…… eventually.” They shared a laugh with one another, lightening the mood. “You really thought of this tour when you wanted me to move to your place.”

“Oh I thought of everything.” He smugly added with a wink before leading her up the stairs to his apartment. “Wait till you see what I’ve done with the place.”

It wouldn’t be the first time Twilight visited her boyfriend’s apartment. Timber had always been going on about how he wanted his family to sell their camp so they could finally move into a town or a city. When he finally got the chance to get his own apartment he took that chance the moment it was offered. Of course he had to get a second job as a lifeguard to pay for it.

The apartment was simple. It’s got three bedrooms, a wide open kitchen, a shared bathroom, and a killer view of the Everfree Woods and a little bit of the beach. It was perfect for Timber and Gloriosa, should his sister ever stop by to visit. She seldom comes by anymore, preferring to live at the camp over this ‘Concrete Jungle’, as she calls it. He naturally didn’t mind at all and enjoyed the privacy the place offered.

“Oh and just so you know. Those glow-in-the-dark stickers were already there when I bought the place.”

She gave him a look of disbelief. “Sure…”

“Tada!” The boy announced as he led her into the living room like a showman.

Twilight looked around and raised a curious glance at him. “It’s the same.”

The green haired camp counselor laughed it off. “I know. I just wanted to raise the hype.” He then led her to a separate room holding the knob. “Here’s what I actually wanted to show you. Twilight Sparkle. Allow me to show you, your new room!”

It was a simple rectangular bedroom yet at the same time it was so much more. There was a plain bed decked out with stars and planets, the walls were lined with inspiration posters, the worktable had a Starswirl the Bearded lamp and an assortment of books that went up her alley, and there was a smaller separate room that doubled as a closet. Two switches hung next to the door, activating the lights above. But the killing deal for Twilight was definitely the view by the window. Everton Academy’s enormous courtyard and main complex could be seen just outside. Even the old clock tower at the top was perfectly aligned between two larger structures.

It was enough to make her gasp and take her breath away.

“So~? What do you think?”

“It’s…… beautiful.” She let out the air she realized she had been holding. “It’s got everything. Those inspirational posters that I keep seeing on the internet!”

“Printed them out and had them framed.”

“And those books?” She eyed them and gasped once more. “Those are the Canterlot Public Library Original encyclopedias!”

“They were just giving those away at the bookstore. I mean who reads encyclopedias anymore?”

Twilight turned to sniff something in the air. "Is that the vegetarian burger from Hey Burger I smell?"

The boy produced said burger from his back, offering it up. "There's one branch just a minute walk from here."

“And you even got a mini-bed for Spike!”

He shrugged. “Meh. I figured you were gonna bring that little guy here. It’ll take some getting used to but it’d be nice having a talking dog to talk to around here.” He blinked. “Wow… there’s a sentence I never thought I’d say.”

“I love it!” She threw her arms over him dangling over his neck like a pole. “I can’t believe you did all of this for me.”

“I know that we’re dating and all but you might also want a little bit of privacy so I thought I’d give you the guest room as a way for you to settle in easier.”

“That’s so sweet.”

“Anything for my favorite girl.” The boy laughed out loud, holding his girlfriend in his arms. “Think of it as your quick transition to my humble abode. Oh and before I forget, I have to give you the ground rules. All the rooms are free except for Gloriosa. She doesn’t really visit the place often but she still doesn’t want people poking through her stuff.” He then leaned in to whisper. “Though honestly she doesn’t want others to see her giant autographed PostCrush poster. She’s a huge fan.”

“I know a few people who’d love to see that.” Twilight chuckled softly thinking of the two redheads in her group. “But you definitely sold me on the place. I’m already looking forward to moving here.”

“You and me both, girl.” He muttered to himself as the girl checked out the kitchen admiring the cleanliness of the place. “You… and me both…”

(Canterlot Mall)

Ok… let’s see… do we have enough supplies for the weekend?

40 pounds worth of chocolate, 25 pounds of cookie dough for emergencies, condiments, sauce, peanuts, and emergency ration of raisin bread.

Hmmm… maybe I should buy a few more cupcakes, just in case.

Pinkie Pie dragged her body through the food court of the Canterlot Mall that afternoon preparing for her sleepover with Fluttershy. While her animal loving friend was off securing the pad for her stay, she was preparing for the apocalypse. With the amount of goodies she had on hand, people might say that she was preparing to hold up in a bunker somewhere and isolate herself for a decade.

But little did they know that these supplies wouldn’t live through the end of the week. This is Pinkie after all. A black hole where all sweets go and never return.

However her attention was quickly grabbed by the large screen TV that advertised trailers for upcoming movies.

She recognized the cast playing and the title of this flick. It was a soapy romance movie about two people from different lots in life. One was a rich and wealthy and the other came from a lowborn family. They met under remarkable circumstances and continued to become good friends before falling madly in love with one another. A classic if somewhat rather unoriginal script line there but it did gather an impressive following.

“Raspberry, my love. If only fate didn’t deal us such a cruel hand in our lifetime, I would’ve asked your hand a long time ago.”

“And yet here we are, standing at very place where we first met… under the same starry night.”

Ugh… honestly, who talks like that anymore?

Her parents apparently. But they were more old school retro in her eyes.

“Then take this, my love. To commemorate this night – or at the very least… a little something to remember me by.” The hero plucked a flower from the garden, offering it to his love like a token of his affection.

And just like that the memories of last night came flooding in like a brick. Pinkie pulled out that feather that Flash gave to her in the aviary. It wasn’t really anything special and there were things far more beautiful there. But the gesture alone was enough to make her heart beat faster and put a creepy smile on her lips. If this feeling she had in her wasn’t love then she wouldn’t know what is.

Still… how is one supposed to confess to a guy like Flash? Would it be such a bad thing to go out with a guy as sweet as him?

“Pinkie?”

“Mgyaa I didn’t do it!” The girl snapped back to reality and hid the feather in the puffiness of her hair whipping her head around to find the fashionista staring at her. “Oh… hey Rarity. Are you here stocking up on essential supplies for the weekend?”

“If by… ‘supplies’ you mean those things you call… food? Then no. But I am getting myself a new sowing machine. The one I had back home was destroyed and I need a new lineup for the next phase of my competition.”

“Competition?” Pinkie questioned. “You mean that whole pageant thing with Hoity Toity? You’re still doing that?”

“Why of course darling. A little shocking revelation is by no means an excuse to forfeit from such an opportunity.” Wow... talk about dedication despite the danger.

“But aren’t you afraid he might… you know?”

“Oh don’t you worry dearie. With all the witnesses there? He wouldn’t dare try anything so barbaric. Besides, someone has to keep an eye on him. And what better way than to be close to him?” Sounds like she was dancing dangerously with danger. “Speaking of being close, can you imagine Twilight actually agreed to move in with Timber?”

“Can I? She told us. Duh.”

“I know. But this is a huge thing for us. To think Twilight would actually be moving head long into her relationship. I never would’ve imagined it.” She sighed out dreamily, thinking of that girl’s future. “And just think… in a few years she’ll be on her wedding day, walking down the aisle. Oh! I wonder if she’ll let me design her gown. It’ll be fabulous!”

Ugh… there she goes again. Figured she’d let it end in clothes.

Still… that didn’t change the fact that she had some experience in it.

“Uh… hey Rarity.” Pinkie shyly opened up, rubbing the back of her neck unsure whether to speak up or not. “You’re an expert when it comes to all this… love stuff, right?”

The fashionista shrugged. “I wouldn’t say I’m an expert sweetie, but… yes… expert would be the right word for it.”

“So… you’ve been with people before?”

It was Rarity’s turn to blush. “Uh… I may have had one or two flings but nothing like what Twilight and Timber have. Why?”

“Well… how would you actually know that you… like-like someone?”

“Oh that one is easy darling.” Rarity waved it off like it was no big deal. “Though it differentiates between people. The common thing is that the person makes you feel giddy on the inside.”

“Giddy?” She gulped.

“Yes. You know? Butterflies in your stomach? Your heart beating faster, your sweat glands working overtime, your face turning redder than a tomato. These are all common symptoms of love. They’re quite beautiful.”

“Well… how would you… you know… how to ask…”

“Is this about your dinner date with your mysterious wealthy clientele?” Rarity deduced precisely which made the pinkette turn red. “I’m right, aren’t I?” She turned away. “Oh my. You’re smitten!”

“What!? No~”

“Yes you are. Yes you ARE!” She insisted, poking at the party animal with a grin that practically wanted to burst. “Blushing cheeks, inability to form words, giddy stomach. You have all the hallmarks of a love in bloom!” Her eyes sparkled. “Well you have come to the right girl. Come Pinkie. This kind of talk requires sustenance and atmosphere!”

xxxxxxxxxx

The two of them arrived at the manicurist a few minutes later getting their nails done over a soothing chair and pleasant music in their ears.

“Ok I’ll admit. This thing is relaxing.”

Rarity knew that of course. “What better way to sooth one’s mind, body and soul?” She grinned childishly. “Now that we’re both relaxed and comfortable. Are you ready to finally reveal to me this mysterious date of yours?”

Pinkie sighed both in hesitation and relaxation. “I don’t know…”

“Darling please. You’re obviously confused. That’s why you came to me for advice. I helped Applejack with her troubles so yours will be child’s play.”

“Really? Applejack told you about hers? Who is it?”

“Ah ah…” She waggled her finger. “Sorry dear. But these lips are sealed on that matter. I gave my word to keep it a secret and that is what I intend to do. But enough about her. This must be an all new experience for you.” It is… it really is. “Come now sweetie. Sit back and unveil your deep little secret. I’ll even Pinkie Promise never to tell another soul about it.”

Oh that did sound like a good deal. It would also be nice to have someone to talk about this. She couldn’t be sure of her own feelings anymore. Not when it came to him.

“Alright you convinced me.” She submitted. “But just to be sure…”

Rarity rolled her eyes crossing her chest. “Cross my heart and hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye.” She returned with a soft caring smile. “There? Satisfied?”

“Very much so.”

“Well then. Tell me quickly. Who’s the lucky lad that snatched your heart? I’ve been going through my list for days now and the anticipation is killing me.”

“Alright. But you gotta promise that you won’t freak out.”

“Darling please. This isn’t my first girl talk. I doubt there’s anything you can say that can possibly surprise me.”

But when her answer came, it did bode as well as she expected it.

xxxxxxxxxx

...
...
...

“WHAT!!!!!!???”

Rarity’s voice boomed across the mall echoing far and wide like a shockwave. The whole structure lifted a centimeter, animals in the vicinity scattered in fear while the clouds themselves parted in the heavens shining a bright ray of light in the area. Cars crashed, the sea level lowered, and somewhere in Ponyville, her unicorn counterpart mishandled her sowing machine sensing a great disturbance in the force.

xxxxxxxxxx

“FLASH!?” Rarity panted heavily like she had spent all her air in that scream. She didn’t even realize she was hyperventilating until one of the stewards handed her a barf bag and a glass of water to rehydrate. She gratefully accepted them breathing in. “AS IN THE FLASH SENTRY!?”

“I know I know!” Pinkie tried to calm her down but found herself panicking too. “It’s weird!” Oh it definitely was weird, but not in the way she was thinking. “I mean me and Sunset’s ex-boyfriend? How awkward is that?”

The fashionista blinked and quickly plugged her mouth with the glass of water not really trusting words at this point. Her brain was going through overdrive. A series of questions wrote themselves at the back of her mind while her eye twitched as Pinkie blabbled on about the seriousness of the situation and how Sunset would take it.

“R… right…” It took her a simple word to make her realize that she had finished the glass, and sadly not a single drop of it went in her mouth. “Refill!” She told the steward who answered with a panicked nod.

“So whatdaya think?”

What do I think? WHAT DO I THINK!!!? I think I need a couch to fall on, and a double shot espresso extra strong just to keep myself from fainting!

“Well… I see.” Were the only words she was able to squeeze out. “S… so Flash Sentry is your… playdate? So… does this mean you two are now an… item?”

“Oh no. Not at all.” Oh thank god. “He still thinks that we’re just hanging out as friends. But… after going on two dates with him I was thinking that… I wouldn’t really mind. You should totally meet him when he’s on his date mode. He’s really sweet, caring, loves my jokes and his mansion is amazing. It literally has everything you could possibly want. They have a whole room dedicated to shoes and suits. It’s like a closet but… way… WAY bigger.”

“Ahuh…” The sound of a large closet did intrigue her quite a bit but her brain was still fizzling out the works on the big question. “So… you really want to get together with Flash?”

“Well… kinda.” Pinkie brushed her hair shyly. “Besides, both our parents are friends already and… he’s really nice.”

“Really? B… but he doesn’t look like your type.”

“I know, right? I mean, a party animal like me and a cool guy like him?” She sighed dreamily. “But there’s just something about him that really gets me. Like… we have this… connection.” Oh god. That face she’s making. It’s exactly the same as Applejack when she told her about her crush on Flash. It was like having the same dream but with different actors playing the same role.

“What I’m saying is that Flash might be… a big catch for a girl like you. Why don’t you try something… closer to home? Someone you’re comfortable with.”

“Meh. Not really. It’s not like I got people lining up to ask me out or anything.” Pinkie turned up in thought. “Besides, I am comfortable with him. I mean we’ve been on two dates already.”

“Two…?” She gasped suddenly making sense of it all. “Flash was the one who took you to the Huffs and Hooves!?”

“Yeah…” She admitted uncomfortably. “But their food was hard to say. I couldn’t make sense out of a single thing on the menu. It was like reading a whole new language.”

“Why… that’s… wonderful.”

“Hmm… maybe I can try Applejack’s way. Cooking him something awesome! Like a triple crusted apple pie!”

“NO!” Rarity covered her mouth as she raised her voice a bar too high earning again, the attention of the other patrons and workers in the salon. Applejack mentioned about that confection she especially prepared for the boy. It was an absolute stunning story to behold. But if Pinkie copies it, it’ll complicate things. “I mean. You really shouldn’t bother. No two relationships are alike darling. What works for her may not work for you. Perhaps you should work with your strengths.”

“But what else am I supposed to do? Throw him a party?” She paused in thought as if the idea struck her like a brick. “Yes! That’s it! I should throw him a party!”

“No dear. No parties.”

“It’ll be awesome. I’ll tell him that we’re having a surprise party but in reality it’s just the two of us. I’ll have all his favorite things. And when the mood is getting good, I’ll drop down a banner asking him to really go on a date with me! It all make sense~~!”

“Pinkie!” Rarity popped her imaginary bubble and brought her back down to reality. They were starting to lose focus. Even she was having a hard time keeping track of the main point. But still… it was time to pull out the big guns. Time to scare those thoughts away. “As happy as I am to see you breaking out of your shell. Need I remind you that Flash is Sunset’s ex? Can you imagine what you have to go through for that?”

That seemed to have deflated her hopes a tad bit. “Yeah. I know. That’s the only reason why I don’t think it’s such a good idea.” Oh finally. She actually sees reason. “I mean… Sunset is my best friend and I like her a lot. But Flash is…… pretty cool too.” She sighed, thinking on the matter. “I know they’ve broken up like… ages ago, but it still feels weird to be going out with someone she used to date. I mean… there has to be a rule for that, right?” There probably is one out there but Rarity didn’t have the time or the capacity to search for it. “I mean… is it wrong for me to feel this way for him?”

“Pinkie…”

“That’s why I need your help!” She came up face to face. “What am I supposed to do with these feelings? Am I supposed to just run with it? Should I bury it in me and lock it up forever? Do I jump the hoop and say that I do want to have Flash Sentry as my official boyfriend? But if I do… what will Sunset say? What will everyone say!? Tell me Rarity! What. Am. I. Supposed. To. Do!?”

“Firstly… calm down.” The fashionista told her, though she needed to listen to her own advice too. “Secondly… I… think this might be a little over my head.”

“Oh come on!” Pinkie berated. “You helped Applejack with her problem. Why can’t you help with mine?” The reasons for that are beyond volatile. “Please? I’m desperate here.”

Oh dear gods Rarity. What did you get yourself into? If you knew this girl talk would turn into a three way one-sided love story you would’ve hauled yourself back to Applejack’s place and call it a night. This is not what she signed up to do.

But… she dug her own grave. May as well sleep in it.

“Alright dear.” She was definitely going to regret this. “Firstly… if I am to give you my most honest opinion. It would be to… hold it off.”

“Hold it off?” Pinkie blinked, not really expecting that answer.

“Yes. You’re obviously just confused right now as this is all a new experience for you. This blooming feeling in your stomach might just be… a crush. A love that comes and goes with time. Plus we also need to gather information.”

“We do?”

“Absolutely!” Rarity’s brain went through overdrive trying to sell her reasoning as best she could. “I mean this is Flash Sentry we’re talking about. He’s the coolest guy in CHS. I’m pretty sure he already has another girlfriend.”

“Really? I haven’t heard anything. He was pretty open about his relationship.”

“As open as you with your first two dates?”

Pinkie blinked again then nodded. “Fair point.”

“Exactly. So… why don’t we take this time to settle things in? You can sort through your feelings and then maybe we can do some digging to see if he has a secret crush of his own. Once we have all the facts together then……” Her eye twitched. “We can see where things go from there… aheh.”

“That… does sound reasonable.” The party animal thankfully accepted that returning to her seat sighing with relief. “Yeah. Let’s do that. Thanks Rarity. I knew I could count on you.” She wiped the sweat off her brow. “Phew. Man… all this girl talk really pulled the steam out of me. You were right. It’s nice having someone to talk to about this. We should do this more often.”

Yeah… sure.

Rarity leaned on her seat, her face already half way going mad.

What in the world should I do?

(Rainbow Dash’s house) (Later that evening)

“Rainbow Dash, honey. Did you remember to pack your extra socks?” Windy Whistles reminded as her daughter brushed past her grabbing a sandwich from the fridge along the way to the front door.

“Got it mom.”

“Don’t forget your extra shirt and pajamas.” She added with a giddy look in her eyes. “I packed your favorite one with Count Vladcula on it. And remember your toothbrush and extra toothpaste. Don’t want you getting cavities while you’re there.”

“Relax mom. I’m only gonna be staying with Sunset for the weekends. And it’s not like it’s the first time I’ve had a sleepover at someone else’s place.”

“I know Dashy dear. But I just wanna make sure you clean yourself up. Oh! Maybe you should also pack some of your old toys just in case?”

“Those are action figures. Totally different.” Rainbow pouted back. “Besides, my friends aren’t into those kind of play. We’re more of a video games people.”

“I’m making sure you have a nice and pleasant stay so you can make tons of wonderful memories. Next year will be your last semester at CHS so I want it perfect. You know, your father and I had the best time when we were your age.” Windy added longingly before a sly smile showed itself on her lips. “Speaking of friends. Why don’t you bring that dashing gentleman over there inside?” She gestured out the window where her ride was waiting for her.

“Who? You mean Flash?”

“Flash? Is that his name?” Her mother cooed suggestively. “He’s quite handsome. You really know how to pick’em.”

Rainbow’s face twisted in disgust. “What? Ewww! Mom! Come on. He’s just a friend. Don’t go twisting things into your imagination.”

“Sorry hon. But you have to admit that you’re in that age where you grow certain interest in other people.” She reasoned back while her face turned like that of a granny with an agenda. “And to be honest this is the first time I’ve ever seen you with such a good looking fellow. What else is a mother like me supposed to think when someone like him drives you up to our house with a super fancy sports car?”

“Yeah well, it’s not what you think. He’s just a friend.”

“Uh huh.” Windy rolled her eyes. “And the fact that you’re wearing matching jackets, doesn’t hold any meaning whatsoever.”

Oh snap! Rainbow Dash looked to herself and realized that she was still wearing the band’s jacket. Her cheeks turned a shade of pink which fueled her mother’s teasing engine.

“Th… this is because he asked me to wear it! We had band practice together! It’s part of his gig!”

“Sure honey. Whatever you say.” Windy coughed into her fist sarcastically. Not believing a single word of it. “Why don’t you invite him in and I’ll wow him with your favorite sandwich. Pasta and potato on sourdough. I’ll even regale him on some of your childhood stories. Oh! I’ll tell him of that time you put wheels on your canoe and called yourself the Pirate of the Roads!”

“Absolutely not! You are not telling anyone that. I forbid it!” Rainbow adamantly insisted. “And FYI, I was 8! I didn’t know better!”

“It was absolutely adorable.”

“Ugh… fine. I’ll introduce you. But that’s it. Just promise me that you won’t blabber anything embarrassing when you see him.”

Windy Whistles shrugged. “I’ll try my hardest.”

And with a sigh, Rainbow moved to the door and opened it but was surprised to see Flash already there with his hand up as if he was about to knock.

“Oh hey Rainbow. Are you really to go? The sky’s getting kind of dark. I think there’s a storm coming.”

The girl nodded back in return. “Yeah. Just about.” She opted to just up and go but her mother’s big starry stare and index finger poking at her sides were insisting on the matter. With a deep sigh, she spoke. “Mom, this is Flash. Flash, this is my mom, Windy Whistle.”

“Pleasure to meet you ma’am.”

“Rainbow Dash didn’t stop wetting her bed until she was 10!”

“Uh… what?”

“Mom!” RD panicked. “What the heck!?”

Windy covered her mouth on reflex. “I’m sorry. It just came out of me. I didn’t mean to…… do you want a sandwich? Pasta and potato~~. It’s Rainbow’s favorite.” She pulled out a sandwich from the back offering it to the boy raising her eyebrows like a creepy candy man trying to lure innocent victims to the back of her truck.

“Uh… sure?” Was that thing even edible?

The embarrassed girl trailed her hand over her cheeks in frustration. Her mother was kind of a blabbermouth when it came to humiliating her daughter. She loved doing that just like her dad.

“You know, Rainbow Dash had a habit of sucking her thumb when…”

“Ok that’s enough of that. It’s getting late. Gotta go. Later mom. BYE!” Not wanting to wait and let her mother embarrass her further, Rainbow Dash quickly pushed the boy out the door and back to his car shouting ‘Lalalalala’ loudly to keep them from hearing anymore stories she may blurt out unconsciously.

“She was nice.” Flash managed to say as looked back to her friend’s house noting her mother waving frantically and shouting something akin to ‘Come back soon’.

“Yeah. She’s amazing.” Rainbow Dash grumbled, an embarrassed blush creeping on her nose. “Sometimes too nice. And FYI, the bed wetting thing was because I always drink three glasses of warm milk before bed.”

He chuckled before starting up his car. “Heh… ok.”

“Thanks again for driving me to Sunset’s place. I’d go on my own but… you know. High velocity and slippery sidewalks don’t exactly mix.” Yeah she mentioned crashing a few times already. "And my bike isn't back from the shop yet."

“No problem. It’s the least I can do after your awesome performance.” The boy sang her praises reminding them of their band practice an hour ago. “You weren’t kidding when you said you were a natural. You practically got all the songs right on the first try.”

“Well duh. I’ve been shredding my guitar for as long as I can remember. I can’t help it if I’m just that good. I’m a lot of things and being talented is one of them.”

Sadly being humble is not one of them.

(Sunset’s house) (Later that night)

A small storm was brewing outside…

Sunset snapped closed her magic journal, putting down the pen after writing a lengthy message to Princess Twilight. It wasn’t anything important or magic related. She figured she’d want an update on what was going on here in the human world. Applejack’s farm, Rainbow Dash doing another stupid stunt, Fluttershy and her animals. The usual stuff. Of course she’d leave out all the problems. That alicorn probably had enough on her plate as it is. After all she was going to become the next ruler of Equestria. She can’t exactly just drop everything just because her friend asked.

Still… the events of today have really got her thinking. Hearing that her best friend moving in with Timber made her realize that she… had no future around here.

When she first came to this world, her first sole purpose was to gain enough power to conquer all of Equestria. But after that incident at the Fall Formal, that dream was erased and replaced with just…… well… living. She had been so focused on the present she never really stopped to worry much about her future.

Applejack had her farm, Fluttershy had plans to go on a trip to visit animal shelters across the world, Pinkie Pie had her party gig and her family business, Rarity dreams of becoming a superstar fashion designer, Twilight wants to move to Everton Academy and become the world leading scientist in magic, probably marrying Timber in the process, and Rainbow Dash had options to persue either music or a career in sports.

Granted Rainbow's future was vague but she definitely had a choice in that matter.

Regardless, it made her wonder.

What was she going to do after she graduates? Should she go to college like some of her friends?

Nope. Not happening. Way too expensive. She’ll have to take like… six extra part time jobs just to pay for a single semester. Maybe she can ask for a student loan? No. If what she heard was right, those businesses will probably drain her bank account dry.

Maybe she can apply for a real job around here. She could… work for a big manufacturing company… or… a desk job… or maybe even… ah forget it. Who was she kidding? It took her months just to get acquainted with the system in school and even a heck of a lot longer just to get her first apartment. Changing her life from a student to an employee will be a difficult transition.

Ugh… what was she gonna do?

“SUNSET SHIMMER!”

“Mgyaahh!” The girl fell from her bed and down the ladder, hitting the floorboard like a brick. “Ow…”

“Oooh. Sorry.” The formless voice hissed back painfully. “Are you ok?”

She turned over to the source finding her Equestrian phone line calling out to her. “Yeah. I’m fine. It wouldn’t be the first time I fell off my bed and onto the floor.” The redhead implied as she limped her way to the chair, groaning every painful step of the way. “Hey Starlight. Were you able to get the things I asked for?”

The pony on the magical music box nodded hesitantly. “It’s kind of a tall order to get those artifacts. A few of them are in the Crystal Empire. But I’m sure Sunburst won’t have too much trouble. He is the court wizard for Princess Cadance after all. It shouldn’t take too long to get them delivered. But… are you sure you need all of them? That was a lot of stuff you requested and some of them are particularly dangerous in the wrong hoof. Twilight had those locked up for a reason.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll be sure to handle them with care.” Sunset reassured her. “I got a plan. And I’ll be sure to return them once we’re done with them. Speaking of which what’s happening on your side? Anything going on in Equestria?”

“Well, I have some interesting news. Nothing major but we kind of had a little incident with Discord.”

“The Lord of Chaos?”

“That’s the one. Aheh.” The purple furred pony replied in a strange singsong manner. “Let’s just say he was cooking up a storm and it ended with a small village getting flooded with chocolate. Don't ask." She raised her hoof up in protest. "Speaking of which, looks like you got yourself a storm too.” She gestured over to the window where it began to rain heavily. “ Anyway. I got something for you.” She pulled out a miniature scroll from nowhere and coughed into her hooves. “Quote: On behalf of Princess Twilight Sparkle, future ruler of Equestria and holder of the element of magic. She hereby, fully authorized by the court of friendship, to cordially invite you, Sunset Shimmer, fellow student of Princess Celestia and liaison to the human world, to her coronation in Canterlot Castle as her honored friend-slash-guest at the time and date of the first summer of next year. End quote.”

“She wants me?” Sunset gasped, a mixture of amazement and shock filling her expression. “On her coronation day?”

“Yup. She wanted to invite you herself but then… Discord happened.” Starlight grumbled lowly. “But isn’t this great? You’ll be standing with us at her coronation along with everyone. It’s a very special and very limited position. And naturally you are allowed to bring one friend along. Twilight opted for more but the space in the castle is very limited and we really don’t want to crowd the place. Trust me, it’s practically hoof to hoof up there. But isn’t it just amazing!?”

“Yeah… that’s… awesome.” Sunset tried to sound positive but her tone and expression didn’t match her words, which did not escape Starlight’s notice.

“Hmm… your mouth is saying awesome but your face is saying… something else.” The small statue added. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing. I’m just… really happy that Princess Twilight is finally getting crowned.”

“Sunset. If there’s anything I know, it’s that when ponies are hiding something. Trust me. I’ve hidden a lot of stuff from my friends and it almost always never ends well.” The Headmare smiled sweetly. “Come on. Lay it on me.”

“I… don’t really want to burden you with my problems.”

“Oh please. I used to be the school’s student counselor. I’ve got load of experience dealing with problems. I think I can handle whatever it is you’re struggling with.”

Sunset looked at her unicorn friend and hesitated for only but a moment. It would really be nice to have someone to talk to. Someone who had more experience in life. “You sure you won’t mind?”

“I’m just waiting for Sunburst to report in. I have Trixie taking inventory of all of Starswirl’s collection, and believe me, there’s a lot of it. And we have no class today or tomorrow because of a festival in Ponyville. Like we don’t have enough of that already.” She whispered that last part to herself. “So I have all night. Why don’t you grab yourself a nice cup of hot coco with marshmallows and take a seat? I’ll be here to list down all your problems.”

That… actually didn’t sound so bad.

“You know… I might just need that. And I think I have a half-eaten box of cookies here somewhere.”

“Wow… so Twilight’s really moving in with Timber. That’s a huge step for her.” Starlight nodded proudly as her statuette sipped from her mug while she listened to Sunset explained the situation.

“Yeah… it is.”

“And yet you don’t sound too happy about it.”

“What?” Sunset slipped off her hand. “No. I didn’t mean it like that. It’s just that… when I heard how Twilight decided to move in with her boyfriend, it… kinda got me thinking… about my life here in this world.”

Starlight’s eyes grew curious. “Really? How so?”

“Everyone is moving forward with their lives.” She threw her hands up in the air like the world was ending. “All my friends will all get their own stories. Applejack will be working on her farm, and… Twilight’s going off to Everton. But me? I… don’t have anywhere to go.”

“Yikes.” The former counselor froze. “Oh… I uh mean… I see.” She took another sip off her mug.

“I never really thought about my future before.” Sunset admitted lowly. “What do I do once I graduate? Where do I go from here? I took my time here for granted, thinking that this whole thing with my friends will… last forever.” She look outward into the snow covered city, sighing. “Sometimes I wish these days could… last forever.”

“Hmm… that is a conundrum.” Starlight nodded. “This might come as a surprise, but Princess Twilight was also in a similar predicament some time ago.”

“She was?” That was surprising, considering she was literally the Princess of Friendship. “How did she handle it?”

“Not… entirely well. But she found a way nonetheless. She understood that regardless of what happens, their friendship will always stand the test of time. Moving to Canterlot can really stress her out. But in the end, I think she found the place where she was meant to be.”

“Her place?”

“I can’t really describe it with words. But the closest I can think of is ‘Destiny’…” Destiny? That sounds like a cheap way to explain things. “A goal you set for yourself. Something to strive for. Something that you were meant to do. You want a place where you belong. Somewhere you feel at home, someplace you’re always welcomed. For Twilight, it was her old home in Canterlot. As for me… well… I suppose this school is mine.”

“That’s… pretty vague.”

“I know it’s difficult to understand but I’m certain your place in the world is out there somewhere. You'd be surprised what life has to offer you." Starlight gave a sarcastic chuckle. "A few years ago, I never would've even begun to imagine that I'd be a guidance councelor or a Headmare of a school. But here I am. And honestly I wouldn't trade this for anything in the world."

"It must be nice having the world figured out for yourself."

"You'll never know what life throws at you. But I'm sure that your destiny is out there... somewhere. And when you see it… you’ll know it. You just gotta look for it.”

Her place in the world.

Kind of hard to find it when there are a whole lotta worlds out there.

“I guess that makes sense.” Sunset accepted that excuse, easing her worries by a small margin. “Thanks Starlight. I needed that.”

“Anytime.” She nodded back before a thought suddenly popped in. “Oh! But if you’re worried about the future, then maybe you can come here and teach at the School of Friendship!”

The former unicorn spat out her drink in her cup. “Me? Teach at your school? You can’t be serious.”

“I’m definitely serious. You’re perfect. You have more in-depth knowledge about friendship than most ponies and you have a well-traveled practice on two seperate worlds. That kind of experience will be great learning materials for every-creature here.” She smirked as she leaned in to whisper. “I’ll even give you a good rate.”

Sunset wanted to laugh it off but she also saw an opportunity there. She never imagined herself being a teacher before. In fact, she never thought of anyone taking lessons from someone like her.

“I’ll think about it.”

“That’s great! I’m certain you’ll make an excellent addition to our faculty. Why don’t you come and visit and I can give you a tour of the place. And who knows?” She grinned. “You might just find your place in the world right here.”

The redhead chuckled at the thought. “Heh. That might just be…” But she trailed off when lightning struck and her whole apartment went dark a second later. “Dang it…”

“Mwah!?” Starlight shrieked. “What’s going on? What happened to the lights!?”

“Relax. This happens all the time when a storm this big happens.” It had something to do with the electrical wirings around the neighborhood. Whenever the weather starts picking up like this the grid becomes wholly unstable. The landlord never managed to find the source of the problem. But thankfully it doesn’t last more than an hour before the electricity to kicks back in. “Hang on. I think I have some candles around here… or a flashlight.”

“It’s spooky.” The purple pony noted as Sunset lit a few of those candles decorating her table. “Hard to imagine you living here all by yourself.”

She chuckled back again in reply. “It’s not so bad once you get used to it. Especially when you have friends around.”

“Aheh… yeah. Friends.” Starlight tried to sound positive but again she flinched when they heard something fall close by. “What was that?”

“It’s probably just the wind.” She reassured her as she found her flashlight in the cabinets. “Hold on a sec.” It didn’t take long for her to find the object. Her half-eaten box of cookies. “Aha! Here it is. I knew I put you somewhere.” She then quietly took a whiff off the top of the box sticking her tongue out in disgust a moment later. “Ugh… smells like it’s passed its shelf-life.”

Starlight eased up hearing that but then immediately tensed again when she caught something slithering in the dark. For a moment she thought it was just something akin to the human world’s natural occurrence. That was until a pair of eyes opened up with tiny slit acting as a wicked smile.

“Sunset! Behind you!” Her warning came a second too late as the shadowy figure leaped in striking the redhead from behind. However, much to the creature’s surprise, its claws didn’t cut deep enough as it was restricted by the leather clothing the girl wore at all times.

Sunset fell, terror covering her face as the waggled favorite jacket with its claws. But she quickly recovered, eyeing the beast angrily. There was no doubt about it. Judging by its shape and size, this was definitely the monster that attacked Rarity. It didn’t take the shape of a wolf like the one Cinch summoned, but that of a woman with a lower snake-like body with claws as hands.

Annoyed by its failed surprise attack, the shadow snake lady ripped the jacket from her arms, letting out a threatening hiss.

“Hey! That was a gift!” Sunset berated but quickly dodged when it came at her again taking quick swipes at her. She crawled on the floor and reached for her flashlight. “Alright magic. Get ready to meet the power of technology!” She then shined the beam onto the monster which sizzled its skin like a vampire meeting the sun. “Didn’t like that, did ya? What’s the matter? Can’t handle a little light in your life?”

The shadow lamia hissed angrily like a ticked off cat. Sunset expected it to withdraw like others of its kind. But instead it just lung at her again, its claws ripping the flashlight in half.

Ok… so this thing wasn’t playing any games. It really was out to get her.

“Don’t think you’re so tough just because you got claws.” She grabbed her geode and immediately put her powers out. “I’ve been using magic since I was a filly.” Her body glowed and the pony ears and tails formed, granting her all the might of Equestria. “Bring it!”

And just like that, the battle was on.

Sunset clashed against that lone shadow lamia throwing magic missiles and lasers, scoring good hits along the way. It retaliated with its claws but Sunset was good at dodging. Her old pony reflexes were kicking in making her more agile than usual. The monster’s claw can’t even find her much less touch her.

In the eyes of the audience, it would certainly look like a one-sided match.

“That’s right Sunset! Give it to’em!” Starlight waved her hooves cheering on from the music box whistling and throwing words of encouragement like she was watching a professional wrestling match. “Give it a left… and a right! And a left… and a right again! Dodge it! And pow! Right in the kisser! YEAH! Show that shadow… thing… what you’re made of! Woohoo!”

And bring it she did. The two sides clashed in that small apartment room like they were hell bent on burning the other to a crisp. They traded blows, shaking the apartment to its very core, all the while a few of the lit candles fell from their stands spreading small areas of fire in the vicinity.

Sunset flew onto her bed and threw down her pillows and blanket which the lamia easily shredded to pieces. But the stuffing and cloth spilled forth blinding the snake from her prey. And in that split moment the former unicorn blasted that monster with all her might sending it back to the darkness with a pained roar. Its skin once again scorched and bubbled up like pimples popping all over its body. Yet still it did not withdraw.

It breathed out a few times before it let out a terrifying howl which went an upsetting screech throughout the room.

Glass windows shattered letting the rain through ruining the once beautiful apartment, the curtains fluttered while the winds howled sending a deathly chill in the air.

Dang it. The landlord was gonna kill her when he finds out about this.

“Haaaa!” Putting her magic onto her hands, Sunset decided to change tactics and go in for a melee attack. She imbued her body with light making it impossible for the monster to even touch her at this point. And then in a moment of error, Sunset saw an opening and sent a magic blast knocking the beast on the floor. “Ha… how’d you like that? Had enough?”

But her triumph was marred by Starlight’s voice who called out to her. “Sunset! The Portal Stone!” She snapped her head to her pony friend and noted another of those shadow snake girls tearing through her cabinet, reaching for the statue.

The ponified girl quickly dashed towards it firing another shot from her fingers making it retreat. It would’ve broken the portal stone had she not caught it.

“Phew… close one.” She snapped her body around noting three snake ladies forming up. “Uh oh…”

“I think you might be a little over your head on this one.” Yes Ms. Headmare. Any other useful advice you’d like to input in this situation!? “And I’m also thinking that this is the part where you run the other way.” That was actually a good suggestion which her friend gladly took. “Wait! Don’t leave me behind – or… at least not this music box! It took me a lot of bits to buy this!” Sunset snatched her and immediately bolted to the door.

The main entrance was just downstairs, in the hallway pass the kitchen. It should’ve been a quick sprint but that place turned into a death trap with the lamias giving chase, their claws slashing at her heels.

Sunset ducked and dodged, watching as all the furniture she accumulated get torn to shreds like cardboards. Her dining table, chairs, even the potted plants that was a gift from the landlord was not spared from their violence. She tried to fight back of course. But in a 3 to 1 fight, it was pretty much just a suicide assistance party.

“You can run you can hide…”

“You can go far and wide…”

“But you can never cast us aside.” The shadows spoke in a snake like hiss, their sentences ending in rhymes for some bizarre reason.

Another swipe cut a swath through her kitchen stove cutting Sunset by the cheek leaving a shallow gash, damaging her beautiful face. She quickly retaliated with another hand blaster but it was weaker this time. Sunset looked at her hand feeling her magic being drained by some unknown force.

“That’s… not good.” The shadow monsters took that chance and immediately surround her swiping their claws. But the girl wasn’t done yet. With one last push she pulled out what little magic she had left and cast a simple but effective light spell that acted as a shield for her. The girl fell on her knees a few seconds later feeling drained.

“Sunset! Get up!” Starlight panicked trying her best to get the girl on. “You can’t fall now!” She looked up seeing the snakes approach. “Stay back! Back you shadow thing! I’m a certified genuine unicorn! I got enough magic in me to send you all back to the Stone Age!”

If they felt threatened by her words, they certainly didn’t show it. Instead they loomed over closer, ready to strike the moment that little light of hers went out.

Sunset struggled to get back up but again she could feel her magic being syphoned. Something really was draining her magic and it was really…… wait…

… why does she smell gas around here?

She turned to the whistling noise in the room noticing her gas range leaking. The recent fight around the room must’ve punctured the tank. And with the fire from the candles extending further… that could only spell doom for all.

Mustering what little strength she had left, the girl grabbed both the Portal Stone and the music box and bolted towards the window jumping and smashing through. Thankfully the cold wet snow that accumulated outside cushioned her landing giving her a worm’s view of her little apartment before it spontaneously combust into a giant blazing ball of fire.

The sound of the explosion was loud enough to wake the whole neighborhood. Pieces of debris scattered across the streets, many of her personal items flying out, broken, bent or burnt from the flames arraying around the area like the worst kind of garage sale.

All that she strived for. All that she worked during her years in this realm… gone to the winds before she even had a chance to blink.

“Sunset!” A familiar voice tore her from the carnage making her turn her head to the road finding Rainbow Dash rushing towards her with her ex-boyfriend in tow. Both of them had a look that was equal part confused and terrified. “Are you alright? What happened!?”

“Sha… shadow.” She was able to squeeze the word out of her lungs which rang alarm bells in their heads. They scanned the area but saw no shadow monsters anywhere. Perhaps the raging fire scared them off.

“We need to get out of here.” Flash told them as he felt a sense of déjà vu on this whole fiasco. He quickly scooped Sunset while Rainbow grabbed the items she dropped.

The moment they were in the car, the boy stepped on the gas and drove off leaving the burning wreck behind as sirens of emergency services echoed in the distance.

PreviousChapters Next