• Published 10th Nov 2019
  • 5,174 Views, 843 Comments

Equestria Girls: Love Is Magic - onekface



A new enemy threatens Sunset's new home. It craves magic and it craves all who has it. She and her friends must rise to face it. But they can't do it alone. Flash x Mane 7

  • ...
19
 843
 5,174

PreviousChapters Next
The Man with the Mask

Chapter 28: The Man with the Mask

(Hoity Toity Trendsetter) (Amphitheater)

Applejack had to plug her ears as she tried to drown the sound of applause from the crowd with loud thoughts. She knew that many of the people here were fans of the man on stage but there had to be limits. If it wasn’t for the fact that she knew that it was some kind of show, she might’ve thought that she dropped in some kind of religious cult and Hoity Toity was the High Priest her giving out a celestial sermon.

Is this how people in show business do their thing? If so… then Rarity has her work cut out for her. The people here cheering for this guy seemed almost like they were in a frenzied state. If she didn’t know better she’d think they were frothing by their mouths, drinking in every word he says like they were coming from god itself.

Speaking of Rarity, her phone suddenly buzzed in with her friend on the other line. She waited for the crowd to simmer down before she answered.

“Hey Rarity. You hear the crowd outside? They are just cr-a-zy. They must really like this…”

“Applejack, listen to me.” Her friend’s voice sounded urgent which silenced her. “Listen to me carefully. This is important.”

“Whoa. Easy there Rarity. What’s wrong? Did you mess up one of your dresses?”

“What? No! Not that. Listen. I need you to contact Twilight right away.”

“Twilight?” She raised a suspicious look. “Why? What’s wrong?”

“I… I’m not quite certain. But you need to do it quickly. Don’t you see Hoity?”

“Kinda hard to miss.” The guy was practically giving the people a show waving his arms and blowing kisses to the audience making one or two faint out of sheer joy. “He’s really talky.”

“Look at his left arm. On his wrist!”

The cowgirl did so, squinting sharply. And even though the lights made it a little hard, she saw it as clear as day. The black gemstone dangled carelessly around his wrist for all to see.

“No way.” She gasped.

“I believe so.” Rarity confirmed it. “It just might be a coincidence and I may just be a tad paranoid but Twilight did say that this secret organization have these things with them.” There are no such things as coincidences in this world. Not with everything that’s happened.

Applejack nodded back noting Rairity peeking by the giant curtains just behind the man himself. “Don’t you worry, Rarity. I’m on it. You just focus on your pageant and keep your eyes open. I’ll call you back.”

(Twilight’s house)

“Thank you again for letting me be a part of your Winter Holiday Mister and Missis Sparkle.” Cadance nodded in gratitude as she and the rest of Twilight’s family finished their dinner.

“Oh please. Don’t mention it dearie.” Night Light waved it off with a tired smile. “This isn’t the first holiday you’ve had to spend with us. Why you’ve been coming over so many times, you’re practically family at this point.”

“That’s wonderful to hear.” The former Principal laughed it off casually. “And Velvet, your shaved carrot and radish salad is always to die for.”

The old lady chuckled back. “Well you always said it was your favorite. Besides it’s the least we can do after you lost your position at Crystal Prep. I don’t understand why you decided to step down when you were running the place splendidly.”

It was understandable that they would be annoyed after hearing Shining Armor announce it. “My position as Principal was never meant to be permanent. Besides, it was the unanimous decision of the Board of Education.”

“And those creeps had the audacity to replace you with a handsome gentleman? The galls I say.” Twilight Velvet huffed. “Just because he has so many achievements, connections, a sure win election next year, and that unbelievably attractive jawline. Oh~ that jawline.”

“Uh… mom?” Shining looked to her worryingly.

“That jawline so magnificent you can chip a rock with. And that hair? That beautiful raven hair of his is out of this world. How does he even keep it so… smooth? It's like a pillow that you can just coddle in bed. I just want to go up to that man and run my hand down his…”

“Ok! Enough about that.” Night Light interjected. “Who wants desert?” He collected the plates and hastily made his way to the kitchen with a flushed smile.

“Let me help.”

Twilight couldn’t help but chuckle. Her mother can be quite fascinated when a handsome man comes into view. She would often comment on their appearance especially during movie nights. And dad can get quite jealous when she goes on a tangent. Shining Armor practically had to plug his ears and blab when mom put on some suggestive comment on this dashing elf on screen.

She was about to help out when she heard her phone buzzed in her pocket.

“Hey Applejack. I just finished my dinner with my parents. I’m just about to…”

“No time for that now!” The girl on the other line spoke up, catching her by surprise. “We need your help pronto.”

“Uh… ok?” Twilight looked around and quickly made herself to the living room, away from the rest of her family. “What’s going on? Did something happen?”

“Remember how you told us that this super-secret organization have their members wearing these doohickey gemstones on their wrists?” She told her. “Well… I think we might’ve found our perp.”

“You found them!? Who?”

“The guy leading this pageant.” The cowgirl grumbled back. “Look. I know this is a long shot but can you use your gadgets to find out any magic going on around here?”

Twilight bit her lip as she looked up at the attic entrance. Her lab had been mothballed ever since her family cut it off from the rest of the electrical grid. She swore never to use it again until she can pay for the bill. But if Applejack was right, then this might just be the big break they were looking for.

If just for a moment, then maybe she might have a little bit of juice for a quick scan.

“Hang on. I’m working on it right now.”

The egghead rushed up and activated the large batteries she placed at the far end of the attic. It vibrated lowly as lights flickered on, bringing her lab back to life.

“Just 10% left.” She muttered annoyingly as she judge the gauge. “It won’t last longer than a few minutes.” But thankfully Twilight had prepared something just for such an occasion. She reached out to the secret stash she built years ago and shook a box of her pet’s tastiest treat whistling loudly. “Spike! Here boy!”

As if summoned by the call of the box, the purple mutt rushed over, mouth salivating. “Did my ears deceive me? Are those, my sweet treats?”

“Yup. How would you like to earn the whole box?”

His eyes beamed. “What do you need me to do? Want me to chase another escaped lab rat? Bark really loud? Do daring stunts?” He got his answer when his owner placed him in a giant hamster wheel which was attached to the batteries. “Uh… what’s this?”

“Run Spike! Run! RUN! Run like you’re life depended on it! Go!” Upon her command, the mutt began sprinting, turning the wheel around, generating what little power his four legs could muster, not really sure why he was doing it. “Right. Now to activate my scanners.” She acted like a mad scientist pressing buttons here and there and pulling switches and turning knobs. After a few seconds the holographic table that she constructed turned on revealing Canterlot City in all its fine glory. “Applejack, you still there?”

“I’m here.” She answered. “I’m just hiding at the storefront right now.”

“Good. Stay right there. I’m pinpointing your location.” And it didn’t take long to find her as the scanner pinged at a location at Uptown. There, Twilight noted a big red dot covering the whole amphitheater. “Whoa… that… that can’t be good.”

“What? What is it?”

“My scanners are picking a huge surge of magical activity – and it’s coming from where you are. It’s enormous! It looks like someone’s charging up to cast a powerful spell right there. Do you see the user doing anything suspicious?”

“No. Not that I can see. He’s just talking on stage.” Applejack didn’t sound so sure of it either. “Nothing here looks out of place.”

That’s impossible. With the amount of magic being gathered there, Twilight was sure something would be visible. It was strong. Stronger than what Cinch ever used. Either there was an error in her computers, which was highly unlikely, or someone was very good at being discreet.

“Hang on. I’m activating my trackers. And… there! Applejack. The magic is coming from the stage itself.”

“I knew it! That Hoity Toity is the one who sicked his shadow monsters on Rarity the other day. What kind of magic is he trying to pull?”

“Not sure. But it’s definitely big. Try to act natural. Don’t do anything hasty.”

“Hasty? That guy’s about to do something with magic and you want me to just back and do nothing?”

“I don’t think he’s going to do anything drastic. This show is being broadcast on live television. If he does use his powers here, he’ll be revealing the existence of magic to the entire world. And that doesn’t sound like something a secret organization would do.”

“So what? I’m supposed to just sit back while he does his magic mumbo jumbo thing?”

“Well you can’t just jump at him either.” But then Twilight noted a second reading coming from nearby. “Wait… hold on a second. I’m… getting another source of magical energy near your location. It’s feint but it’s there. Where are you?”

“At the boutique store.” The cowgirl answered back. “And I think I know what that reading is. There’s a glow coming from Hoity Toity’s office. I’m going in.”

“Applejack! Don’t be too hasty. You’ll be breaking and entering. And that’s…” The tone in her phone died out. “Dang it. Why do people always rush into illegal activities first?” She groaned lowly before noticing the lights in her lab flickering. “Spike! No breaks! Mush boy! MUSH!”

(Hoity Toity Trendsetter)

Applejack tucked her phone in her pocket and immediately got to work. She wasn’t gonna wait around while someone was dabbling in powers beyond their control.

Much to her surprise the storefront itself wasn’t guarded or locked for that matter. Most of the staff were at the stage prepping for the main event. The man himself was still there giving out some kind of monologue. It was dreadfully long but surprisingly the audience didn’t seem to mind.

Quietly she snuck into the back where the man’s office was. His name was written on a plaque just outside of his door. And just like she said to Twilight, there was a nasty green glow coming from inside.

She fiddled with the knob feeling it fighting back against her twist.

“Lock. Figures.” But she wasn’t gonna let a simple door block her from her path. Her friends would probably disagree with her methods but AJ has always pride herself for being a direct person. And thankfully no one was around to argue with her. And so with a little bit of magic, she focused all her might into her hand and knocked on the knob. Its metal structure bent inward under the pressure of her might, chipping and popping nuts and bolts like pez. The lock snapped within propping the door open like a prize. “I gotta give credit to Granny. The old knock and pop really does work.”

Granny Smith did often lock herself out of her room so she developed this neat little trick as an emergency all-access key. She was banned from using it back home of course seeing as Big Mac and her ended up fixing it over and over again.

Turning it one more time, the cowgirl entered the room finding that strange glow coming from a giant safe that looked completely out of place. While the rest of the room had a style to go on, that safe looked as if it was made by an entirely different culture. A strange thing for a fashion designer like Hoity to have in his personal office.

The safe itself looked as if it was made out of obsidian with gold trim that snaked its way around the edges and corners. It had a dial in front along with a handle to open it when unlocked. But the stranger thing was that soft green glow and a humming noise coming from within.

If Applejack was a gambling gal, which she is not by the way, she’d say that something magical and sinister was hiding inside that thing.

Now Twilight would probably say that she shouldn’t be breaking into people’s offices or messing with their properties. But thankfully that egghead wasn’t here, which means everything here was free game.

“And now, ladies and gentlemen! Please welcome our competitors for tonight!”

An eruption of cheer and applause signaled the beginning of the competition. That could only mean that Rarity was going on stage, right next to that man. She wanted to call her but doubtful that she’ll answer. Rarity was a pro when it came to showbiz. Still… it didn’t sit right with Applejack knowing that she’d be near that guy. Who knows what he’s planning to do with all that magic?

The answer to that question may yet be found in here.

Slowly she reached for the safe and saw the glow getting brighter. It would’ve been an easy thing to pull off had the safe not reacted to her presence and sent an electrical surge through her fingers.

“Yeow!” She jerked her hand back, wagging her fingers like they just got burnt. “Ok… that’s not something you see every day. I ain’t an expert on magic but I know magic trap when I see one. And if you think a little static shock is gonna stop me, then you got another thing coming.” She quickly ponied up and yanked the safe a second time. It resisted of course but its defensive power did little against someone who had the full power of Equestrian Magic.

And inside the safe was an object she recognized very well…

“No way…”

Those were the last words she ushered before three shadowy figures snuck into her shadow, flashing toothless grins.

“Very…”

“…naughty…

“…little lady.”

(Twilight’s House)

Twilight was worried.

It’s been over ten minutes since Applejack cut off their call. She wanted to go over there but Uptown was at least half an hour ride depending on traffic. The only thing she could do was sit back and wait while the magic on her tracker grew in size. She was also keeping an eye on it through live television watching the show progress slowly.

Rarity was now presenting her lineup, flashing that smile she had been perfecting for years. Her models strutted down the catwalk showing off their dresses like they were pieces of art. Cameras flashed while the crowd gasped and whispered endlessly. This made the egghead even more worried when she noticed her friend on set was standing dangerously close to Hoity Toity who was the origin of that strange magic.

She hoped that nothing bad would happen. But considering that this man once worked alongside Cinch, she didn’t have that much confidence.

Twilight was close to calling everyone for an emergency gathering but she came to a stop when she found Applejack calling back.

“Applejack! What happened? Did you find anything?”

“Oh I found something alright.” The cowgirl replied, her voice shaken. “I broke into Hoity’s office.” Dang it. Breaking and entering? That was so not a good look for her permanent record. “And… it looks like our suspicions were right. He really was working with Cinch. I found a dangerous thing in his safe.”

“Let me guess. The Memory Stone?”

"Yup. But it looks kinda... broken. Like they glued it together with spit and grime." Ok that was not an image she needed but it was vivid.

“Well… it ain’t broken if it still works.” Twilight wasn’t really surprised at this point. They already knew that this organization had the ability to repair magical artifacts like her Magic Trap. If they can fix that, then fixing a broken rock enchanted with Equestrian Magic should be child’s play to them.

"What should I do with it?"

That was a good question. What should they do with it? The memory stone had a variety of uses, many of which were venomously bad. They could probably use it for their own purposes but that would reveal too much to the organization.

Ugh… what would Sunset do in this situation?

Twilight’s head ran on overdrive trying to get the solutions. So many scenarios came to mind and sadly only one provided the obvious choice. “Leave it where it is.”

“What!? You want me to leave this guy with one of the most dangerous rock in the world? Can’t I just break it or something?”

“He hasn’t done anything yet. At least nothing bad. If you take artifact away he'll know that we’re onto him. And remember that they were able to repair it before. Even if you break it now they’ll just fix it again. Our best advantage right now is our element of surprise. They know that we have magic but what they don’t know is that we know who these people are. Right now it’ll be best for all of us if you just leave the store. We’ll discuss this tomorrow.”

Applejack grumbled hesitantly, but saw logic in that reasoning. No point picking fights until you know your opponent. And the element of surprise might just tip the scale in their favor. “Alright fine. I’ll leave it be.”

“But don’t you worry. With the amount of magic he’s gathering, I can surmise what spell he’s trying to use. It should be happening just… about…” The power then suddenly went out putting her room in pitch black. “What the!? No! No no no no no! Spike!”

She turned over to her pet who laid down weakly in his hamster wheel, panting heavily in a pool of his own drool. “Can’t… run… no more.”

“Ugh… that’s it. We are gonna work on your cardio when this is over.”

(Flash’s house) (A few hours later)

Pinkie almost felt sad to be leaving the big giant mansion. With all the amenities this place provided, a girl could actually get used to living here. After the pageant show finished with Rarity’s selection along with a few others, Flash had taken her around the house visiting every room like they were on a tour. They even spent a whole hour at the record room, or ‘Movie House’ as the girls seem to call it, and watched a screening of their choosing. Never had she experienced a private theater until now – and it was totally awesome. The butler was also there, providing them with everything they needed. Cookies, popcorn, drinks and more cake? There was simply no limit.

This mansion literally has everything anyone could possibly need. A garden, a swimming pool, a library full of books that would make Twilight gurgle, and even a larder full of all the food you can eat. Heck, you can lock yourself in here from the outside world for ten years and you’d still be able to live comfortably.

The tour was concluded at the aviary gazebo which Fluttershy certainly did not exaggerate in her description. It really was indeed a hotel for birds.

Granted, it wasn’t an exact match to what she pictured it but it was certainly close. Every feathered creature in here were all tucking themselves in small adorable birdhouses, each hanging from a branch on this massive tree.

“Oh… this is incredible.” Pinkie gawked endlessly at the tree. “I can spend an eternity here.”

“Yeah. That’s what Fluttershy said too.” Flash chuckled from the benches watching his friend coon over everything like a new born babe.

“I wish I knew a spell that could transform me into a bird, just so that I can experience what it’s like to live in those cozy little birdhouses.”

“Don’t forget the flying.”

“Yeah sure. That too. But flying is so overrated.” She gleefully added as she took a seat beside him, her infectious smile practically glued to her face. “You know something? I really didn’t think I’d have as much fun here as I thought I would.” The boy eyed her weirdly. “I mean… when mom and dad told me I had to attend this super formal dinner party with you and your dad, I thought it’d be like our first date, but… you know? More...”

"Awkweird?"

She chuckled thinking on their private made up word. "Yeah. Awkweird." :pinkiesmile:

“Hey. You’re hanging out with Flash Sentry here.” He boasted. “I have a reputation to uphold. Anyone who goes out with Flash Sentry is guaranteed to have an awesome time or your money back.”

“Really?” She cooed. “Does Flash Sentry also have a signature move on his date?”

“Oh absolutely. Every self-respecting playboy always has a killer move to seal the deal.” He licked his hand and traced it over his hair then leaned in on her flashing his cool guy smile and throwing a wink for good measure. “I call it: The Deal Closer. It’s guaranteed to melt your heart out. The ladies find it irresistible.”

Pinkie chuckled. “Really? How long did it take you to make that up?”

He shrugged. “Meh… about ten minutes. But honestly, I always find that being yourself works best in these types of situations. I mean… why be anyone else?”

“Heh… if only.” Her chuckle twisted a bit which did not escape his notice. “Unless your real-self happens to be an out-of-this-world party animal with no restraint whatsoever. Sometimes I have to be Eiknip just to look normal.”

“Hey, don’t listen to them.” Flash scooted closer tracing one hand over her hair, removing the bangs from her eyes. “I think the real Pinkie Pie is one of the coolest girl I know. She knows how to set up the awesomest parties, bake the tastiest cakes and let’s not forget she can make sweets explode too.”

“Oh please. How many times have you used that line?”

“Just once.” And then quietly the boy reached out for a feather that fell nearby. “Here. Something for you to remember this night.” She froze like a deer in headlight when she casually placed it right above her ear letting its brownish color mix with her puffy hair. “And honestly? Anyone who gets to date a real party animal, is lucky to have you.” Oh god. Why does his voice feel like silk to her ears? Did he always look this good up close? Does he practice these lines in a mirror or something because they're way too good just to be cooked on the spot.

Is she red? Yup, she was definitely red. She could feel her face practically burning.

“Oh cut it out.” She pushed him away laughing giddily. But deep down inside, her other self was screaming at her. Her very subconscious right now was calling out to the girl. The High Cupcake Council of Pinkie Pies who were controlling her every thoughts were tearing each other apart, all slowly dying of shame while telling her that she should just grab the guy.

Come on now! Even Rarity would agree that the moment was perfect. Sitting in a gazebo surrounded by nature’s wonders, under a semi-clear night sky? You couldn’t possibly ask for a better setting. It would practically be a crime not to take the leap! Heck, even the birds in their vicinity were all staring at them. And you didn’t need Fluttershy to tell what they were all saying.

And honestly enough she wanted to. She really REALLY wanted to just reach out, take his lips and be done with it. He was downright sweet. And everything they’ve done up till now has been what she expected of a date. They had an awesome dinner together, he took her to the movies, they danced and even got her to see an exclusive view of a close approximation of an actual bird hotel – all of which was done within hours of their meeting. And this was only their second date. The only way he could top this was that he’d take her on a private jet to Manehattan just to buy her a jelly tart from Restaurant Row. And considering what she'd seen here, she wouldn't be surprised if he actually did that.

All in all, this whole thing should end with a kiss or at the very least a peck on the cheek.

But there was another voice whispering at the back of her mind. It was a sadistic, sickening voice that haunted her. A dreadful one that made her despise that feeling in her heart.

“Pinkie?” Flash noted her darkened expression. “You ok?”

“I’m fine! Totally fine! Nothing wrong here! Ahehehehe.” She fought off her heating cheeks which was burning to the point of her getting a suntan.

Thankfully their little outing was interrupted by a forced cough calling for their attention.

“Flash. Ms. Pie.” Sombra held back a grin that dripped with suggestions. “I do hope I’m not interrupting.”

The boy chuckled. “Actually…”

“Nope! Not at all!” Pinkie answered back with panicked haste. “We were just uh… bird watching!” He didn’t seem keen on believing that. And if her eyes wasn’t deceiving her, she could swear that she could see her mom and dad showing what looked like the beginning of a smirk.

“I see…” Sombra respected her privacy and let that be the end of it – for now. “Anyway, Igneous and I have just concluded our business. And after our tireless talk, I’m sure both he and Mrs. Pie are ready to head on home.” His eye fell on the two with a suggestive tone. “Unless you’d like to extend your stay for a few more hours.”

“No no. We’re good.” The party girl hastily fixed her hair and joined her parents’ side as nonchalant as possible. But her embarrassed strut totally gave her away.

“I take it my son has shown you a wonderful time?” Her blush was all the answer he needed. “Heh. I’ll take that as a yes.” God, these two really are father and son.

“Maybe next time you should come visit us.” Igneous suggested much his daughter’s horror. “It would be nice for the two of you to join us for the Winter Holidays. You can also meet my other daughters too.” Are you kidding me right now, dad!? You want Flash to come to our place while her sisters are there? They’ll grill her till her bones are bleached. She’ll die. She will literally die from embarrassment. Pinkie can already see their stoic stares, their mischievous grins, and not to mention their judgmental sneers. Maud will continuously tease her, Limestone will make kissy faces, and Marble – she’ll… uh…… give her the look! It’ll be so bad it might last throughout the holidays. Her mind, body and soul will give out before the New Year is done.

“Perhaps another time, old friend.” Oh thank god for small mercies. “I’d like to leave these next two weeks as open as possible. But I’ll keep your offer in mind.”

It took a while for Flash to approach, in which Cloudy Quartz took notice of his attire.

“Pinkie.” The girl in question stiffened when her mother called her name. “Aren’t you supposed to give Flash something?”

“Something?” The bubbly girl trailed off before her eyes shot up in realization. “Oh! The gift! I completely forgot.” She dug her hands through her sling bag comically and produced a small blue ornate box the size of her palm, handing it... or rather, shoved it over to her date.

The boy clumsily opened it revealing a masterfully crafted pocket watch made entirely of bronze with silver engravings.

“Whoa…” He gasped. “It’s beautiful.”

“Pinkie chose it.” Igneous pointed out much to his daughter’s annoyance. “It’s one of our old timer pocket watch. Back in the old days, foremen used these things to tell the time back in the mines. They used to glow in the dark but we stopped making those. Still... this is made of sterner stuff. Guaranteed never to break.”

Flash looked up to the older gentleman and nodded. “Thank you sir. I’ll treasure it.”

“Oh don’t be silly. This is the Winter Holidays. It’s a season of gifts.”

He smiled back, putting one hand over the blue pin on his suit. “It has been a day for gifts. I only wish I had something to give to you.”

Cloudy Quartz darted a glance over her daughter who tried to hide the gifted feather in her puffy hair. “I think you already gave Pinkie plenty.”

“Mom!” Dang it. As if her sisters weren’t enough of a hassle.

“Alright you two. Let’s lay off the teasing.” Sombra chuckled along with his old colleague. “We should get you all home before this night gets darker. I’ll have my valet bring your car over. Flash. Would you mind escorting the Pies to the front entrance? I need to make a quick call.” The boy didn’t mind and politely led them out of the aviary, his arm offered to Pinkie who hesitantly accepted it. Sombra couldn’t help but smile sweetly watching them walk away like that. And to think his son believed that they'd never have a chance together.

After after making sure that they were gone, he looked to his side and whispered. “Edmund.”

“Sir.” His butler suddenly appeared from the pond dressed in a scuba suit scaring some of the ducks away.

“Did you take pictures?”

“Plenty sir.” He produced a series of photos that he secretly took in the duration of the date.

Sombra grinned like a cat who caught the canary.

(Celestia/Luna’s Apartment)

Luna smiled sweetly as she poured herself a glass of wine which she had been saving for a while now. It was a vintage bottle she got a few months back. She kept it safe in the cabinet saving it for a special occasion.

And what better occasion is there than the beginning of their two long weeks holiday?

No more brats to look after until the party, no more telling students not to park at the faculty parking lot, no more complaints from the teachers, and most importantly… no more paperwork. She was free to enjoy the next two weeks without any of those annoying brats filing into her office or having to deal with magic. Yup it was nothing but smooth sailing from here on out.

“Luna.” Her sister called, exiting her room with a troubled expression. “Are you busy? I need your opinion on something.” She pulled out two different suits with various color schemes. “Which do you think suits me better? The gray one or the white one?”

“Going on another date with Sombra?” She poked back knowingly.

“Isn’t it obvious?” Celestia answered plainly without hiding it. “We’re going somewhere quite special next week.”

“And where, pray tell, does he intend to take you this time?” Luna teased. “With all the dates you two have been going, I’m beginning to fear that Canterlot will soon run out of places to entertain you two.”

“It’s actually a very special place.” She chuckled softly like a girl in love. “Remember that old seafood restaurant by the beach? The Greedy Lobster?”

“How can I forget?” Her little sister’s face twisted in discomfort. “They had the best mussels though a bit pricey for my taste. I also seem to remember that it closed down after the chef’s special ‘Taste Enhancer’ put over two dozen people in the hospital.”

“Well the restaurant might not be there anymore but it is the place where Sombra and I had our first date. Back in school. Before…”

“Before you decided to break his heart into a million pieces with a NOTE.” She stressed out that last word earning a glare from the woman.

“Yes… that. So it has some sentimental value.”

“Ah… reliving our younger years.” Luna chuckled. “Goes to show how old we’ve become. What are you gonna get him afterward? I take it you have a gift ready.”

“Oh Luna. I think it’s a little too early to be dishing out presents.”

“I agree. But you do know that his birthday is also just around the corner, right?” She noted Celestia's frozen expression. “You totally forgot his birthday, didn’t you?”

“What? No~” She groaned. “Ugh… yes. Dang it. I completely forgot that his birthday was around this time of year. It’s been a while since we actually celebrated it. And Sombra’s not exactly the easiest to buy gifts for. What do you get someone who practically has everything?”

“That’s something you’ll have to figure out yourself, sister. But… if you want, I can help you pick something for him in the mall. God know that man could certainly use a wardrobe change.”

(Saturday) (Sunset’s house) (Morning)

“Hoity Toity?!” Sunset balked when she heard the story from Applejack. It came as a big surprise knowing that a superstar like Hoity would actually be a member of the secret organization. “As in THE Hoity Toity? The fashion star? He’s the one who sent those shadow monsters to attack Rarity the other day? Are you sure about this?”

Applejack nodded. “Oh a hundred percent, sure. That guy is beyond guilty. He’s got magic defense in his office, a black gem on his wrist and one of the old magical gizmos. Tell him Rarity.”

The fashionista agreed wholeheartedly. “I’m afraid I have to agree with Applejack. As much as I hate to say it: It’s highly likely that Hoity Toity is the one who is responsible for my recent eviction.”

“I can support that theory.” Twilight naturally agreed of course. “When that man was on stage, my scanners picked up a huge wave of magical energy. I would’ve discovered what spell he used too if my batteries didn’t die out.”

“But why would he go after Rarity?” Fluttershy asked from the sideline. “What does he hope to gain?”

“I bet he was after her magic.” Rainbow Dash deduced incorrectly. “Just like Cinch, he’s trying to gather all the magic he can get to power that Chalice of theirs. He probably thought Rarity would be an easy target because of her fro-fro stuff.”

Rarity gave her friend a glare which was left ignored. “As much as I adore your ‘Fro-fro’ comment, I think I have a more precise answer.” She gestured over to the statuette over by the strange music box. “I believe he was after that.”

Sunset raised a brow. “The Portal Stone? How’d you know?”

“Ever since I showed him that photo of that thing he became quite enamored over my designs. I noticed it when his eyes flickered over.”

“Doesn’t he wear those shades like… all the time?” Applejack reminded. “How can you tell?”

“Attention to details, darling. It’s one of my finer qualities. His brows rose up 20% above its usual stationary margin. You don’t make that kind of brow-raise unless something has caught you off guard.”

“I dunno.” Pinkie stated, her hands clamoring over the statue. “This doesn’t look like something I’d fight over. I could probably get something twice as pretty as this in the toy store.”

“That does make sense.” Sunset bobbed her head, pacing back and forth deep in thought. “Cinch was working with Yaztec artifacts and constructing the new wing of the museum. And this thing reeks of magic. And knowing that these guys hoard magic items, I wouldn’t put it pass them to be this aggressive.” She grabbed the statue from Pinkie and hid it in one of her many cabinets.

“So what are we waiting for?” Rainbow Dash pumped her fists together. “We know the guy’s super guilty. Why don’t we just bust down his door and splash our usual magic before he strikes again?” Applejack chimed in agreement to that plan.

“Uh… does it have to be now?” Rarity asked worryingly. “I don’t think we have to do it now. Perhaps later? Preferably right after he picks me to join him on his tour at the Grand Runway?”

“He attacked you, remember?”

“Yes but the damage is hardly worth a trip to Las Pegasus.”

“Rarity!”

“Oh fine!”

“Not so fast you two.” Twilight ebbed their aggressive behavior with a firm hand raised. “While I do like to put an end to this whole fiasco, you have to remember that it’s not going to be that easy. This isn’t going to be like Cinch. Our mark isn’t just some random passerby. This is Hoity Toity. He’s a celebrity. If anything should happen to him, it would cause worldwide backlash. And that’s not the kind of attention we, or the school, needs right now.”

“And let’s not forget what happened with Cinch too.” Sunset reminded them of that painful event that had them all on their knees. “She was powerful enough to take us all on and she only learned magic recently. Not to mention we have to be prepared for all eventualities. I don’t want another incident like the one with Twilight’s Magic Trap.”

“Oh please.” Rainbow Dash puckered her lips and waved it off carelessly. “That was one time. Besides, if you want assurances, then we can bring Flash along. He’ll be down to help us in a heartbeat.” The redhead returned that joke with a glare that would’ve burned through concrete walls. “Or… uh… aheh… we could be more prepared. Yeah.”

“Why are you so against bringing Flash along anywho?” Applejack inquired, shooting a question back at the ex. “The way I see it: If it wasn’t for him, we’d be dry of magic and Adagio would be dust back then. If he wants to help us, I’d say we let him. He’s earned that much after what he did for us.”

“Need I remind you that Flash’s little rescue stunt burned down half a city block?” She paused a bit noticing their shy glances. “Look. I know that you all think bringing him along is a good idea. But for the last time, no. And that is not up for debate. We need to solve this by ourselves. But we're gonna need some extra assurances.” She turned over to the music box and grinned. “And I think I know where to start.”

“So we’re just gonna let Hoity Toity go free?”

“Just for a while longer.” Sunset answered. “He doesn’t know that we’re on to him yet. After we get a little help from my friends on the other side, we’ll take him down. But for now I think it’ll be best if none of us stay alone. Rarity. You ok with staying at Applejack’s place for a few more days?”

“Naturally darling.”

“Fluttershy. Would it be alright if Pinkie stayed with you for the weekend?”

“Oh absolutely.” The animal lover nodded with no regret. “My little friends will be delighted.”

The bubbly gal agreed wholeheartedly. “Yeah! We’ll make it a makeover party!”

“Twilight and Rainbow Dash can stay with me. I don’t think anyone would mind us, seeing as it’s the holidays. We can strategize together before we hit Hoity.”

“Totally!” Rainbow Dash nodded before stopping when she remembered something. “Ah… but I might be a little late. I got band practice with Flash today and I promise to attend. But don’t you worry. I’ll be here.”

“And speaking of moving in.” Twilight cooed over to the gang gathering their attention one more time. “Before we dismiss this meeting, I’d like to make an announcement to you all.” She then took the metaphorical stage replacing Sunset. “I know that I’ve been a bit of a stickler this last week, but I have a good reason for it. However… after much deliberation, consideration and opinions from all of you and several other sources. I’ve decided to move in with Timber.”

A mixed reaction of surprise and congratulations were thrown from her friends, all equally shocked by the revelation.

“That’s marvelous darling!”

“Congratulation.”

They patted her back and cheered. Even Pinkie Pie brought her confetti cannon out for a shot. Sunset groaned about the time it’ll take to clean that up but she was too immersed with her best friend’s move.

“So you’re really doing it.” She casually added with a soft smile on her face.

Twilight sighed, thankful for their support. “Yeah. I figured we’d take it slow for now. I won’t be fully moving in with him until I graduate but I thought about doing a probationary trial period instead. I’d stay over with him on the weekends and holidays, and then stay at my place on schooldays. That way I can test the water and see how things pan out.”

“So you’ll be bunking together, eh?” Applejack tilted her head sideway, looking somewhat mixed but also supportive. “Well if you think it’s for the best then you got my vote. But I still think you should wait it out a bit longer.”

The fashionista pushed her away sighing dramatically. “Oh poppydash darling. I think it’s a wonderful idea. Look at you. Our little Twilight, taking the next step of her relationship. I feel so proud and also very excited! Did you tell Timber yet?”

“Yesterday. And he was quite ecstatic too. He’s even helping me move a few of my stuff. We’re meeting later this afternoon for a tour of his place and the local area on the eastside. He knows all the best restaurants and apparently there’s an antique store not far from the beach.”

Wow…

That was the only word Sunset could think of. From what she got from that sentence, it looks like Timber really is pulling all the stops to make Twilight’s transition all the more inviting. Tours of his place, showing the local hotspots and even flashing an antique store to boot? He really knows his audience. With all those lures and baits he put up, he’ll be reeling Twilight in faster than they could say Magic Waffles.

"Did someone say... Magic Waffles?" Pinkie grinned as she brought her said treats.

Author's Note:

Not a lot happening in this chapter but I think I got the message across.
Another week, another chapter. And here's me wishing you all a safe and healthy week to come.
Remember to wash your hands, stay safe and if you're stuck to your computer like me, go ahead and press that thumbs up button and maybe put in a comment down below. :duck:
See you all again next Tuesday.

PreviousChapters Next