• Published 10th Nov 2019
  • 5,168 Views, 843 Comments

Equestria Girls: Love Is Magic - onekface



A new enemy threatens Sunset's new home. It craves magic and it craves all who has it. She and her friends must rise to face it. But they can't do it alone. Flash x Mane 7

  • ...
19
 843
 5,168

PreviousChapters Next
Trouble's a Brewin

Chapter 22: Trouble’s a Brewin

(Sunday) (Sunset’s house)

Sunset curled her weary body in her bed that night feeling cozy. It was Sunday, meaning that she didn’t need to get up early. Finals were starting tomorrow so she was going to spend today resting up and studying. No more fun times or magical adventures. This was going to be a normal day – or… as normal as a day in this world can get.

Put on a smile it’s a coinky dink world!

Laugh yourself awhile in a coinky-dink world!

Come on take a whirl… through a coinky dink world~~!

No… no no no no. Darn it Pinkie.

How? How does she keep doing this? How in the world did she change her ringtone again? Sunset made sure that the security was unbreakable, she even put in a fingerprint lock!

She quickly muffled her ears with her pillow hoping that the caller would take the hint and go away. She waited for a few seconds. Then seconds turned into a minute, then a minute turned into many more minutes...

And alas, the damn ringtone got to her. She shot out of bed and reached for the phone with a sigh.

“Twilight?” She answered with a yawn looking at the time on the screen. “It’s 3 o’clock in the morning. Can’t this wait?”

“NO!” The girl on the other line answered back, her tone practically in panic mode. “This is a Code-Red emergency! DEFCON-1! I need your advice like, right now!”

Sunset groggily replied. “Ok ok. Calm down. No need to be so loud. What’s the problem?” It had better be an emergency. It was way too early to be dealing with any kind of problem right now. The world can explode this very minute for all she cared.

“Hang on. I’ll put you in on conference.” A conference call? It must be big if she brought others into this. “Is everyone on?”

“Yes darling.” Rarity yawned in reply. “I’m still here…”

“Same.” Rainbow Dash followed sounding equally tired.

“Present…” Fluttershy too?

“Caramel soup…” Pinkie as well? Wow. She sounds pooped. “More… caramel soup.”

“Yeah I’m here.” Applejack finished. “What’s the big fat emergency? This has better be good. I got to get the cows grazing in an hour.”

Twilight breathed in. A pregnant pause formed around her throat. “Timber just asked me to move in with him!”

Say what now?

“WHAT!?” Rarity jolted up from her stupor shouting in a tone that pretty much rang everyone awake. “Timber? As in your sweet little Timber?”

“That’s right! What should I tell him?”

“Well what did you tell him, darling?”

“I told him I need time to think about it.”

“Wait hold up.” Rainbow interrupted, all thoughts of sleeping tonight was washed away. “What did he ask?”

“Timber just asked Twilight to move in with him!”

"He what!?"

“What should I tell him!?”

“Well what did you tell him?”

“I TOLD HIM I NEEDED TIME TO THINK ABOUT IT!”

“Everybody, quiet!” Sunset called everyone to attention, her head splitting in a headache. “Ok Twilight. Slow down. When did this happen?”

“Yesterday! During the concert. We were all in the park when he asked me right out of the blue!”

“Aww… how romantic.”

“Really Fluttershy?” RD’s tone was a bit sour. “Sounds a bit creepy to me. I mean you go a few dates and then he asked you to move in with him?”

Applejack coughed. “Haven’t they been dating for over a year now?”

“They have?” The sports gal paused. “Huh… has it really been that long?”

“Well on a personal level, I’d say it all comes down to his apartment.” Rarity reminded to which some of them casually agreed. “Is it big enough to accommodate you two? Does it have a lovely view of the city?”

“Does it really matter?” Twilight shrugged on the other line.

“Of course darling! If he’s the one asking you to move to his place, it must at least be accommodating for two. If someone were to ask me to move in with them it must at least meet up to my standard. Have you seen his place? What’s it like? Where is it?”

“His apartment is ok… I guess. He lives on the eastside… so it’s kind of close to the beach.”

“Beachfront property?” Rarity cooed, now totally enthralled by the conversation. “Now we’re talking. I say move in with him immediately. I can see nothing but positive outcomes with this. You’ll be taking the next step in your relationship. Not to mention you won’t have to worry about rent. And being close to the coast means you can go to the beach any time you want.”

“Now hold on just a dang minute.” Applejack protested. “The home might be important and all, but our dear old Twilight shouldn’t be forced into bunking with another just because someone asked. I mean… the decision is yours to make. If you really like this guy and if you can see yourself with him then I’d say go for it. But you think that things are going too fast then you might wanna tell him to slow down. This is a big decision after all.”

“I say she should go for it!” Pinkie tossed her two bits in siding with Rarity. “How awesome would it be to be living with someone that you love? It’ll be like a party that never ends!”

“Me too.” Fluttershy chimed in much to everyone’s surprise. “It might be scary moving into a different environment. But like I tell all my animals when they move to the shelter: It’ll be alright, because you’re with friends now.”

“But they’ve only been dating for a year.” Rainbow Dash protested. “I’m all about going with the flow, but this? Isn’t there like a whole process for this kind of thing?”

“I’m gonna have to go with Rainbow Dash on this one.” Sunset finally chipped in throwing her lot with the protesters. “And as the leading authority of moving between two worlds, believe me… I know the feeling. You should wait – or at least keep your options open. I made a mistake of picking the first apartment that came to me.” She shuddered. “It looked good at first but then I realized how much of a nightmare it was with all the faulty wirings. Took me months before I could move out of there.”

Twilight counted the votes. “So that’s 3 votes for yes and 3 votes for no. Oh come on! Grrr! Where’s a tie-breaker when you need one? Who else can I call to cast another vote?”

“Twilight, there’s no need to rush.” Sunset interjected before the girl could go twilly-nanas. “You still got a semester to figure it out. Right now I’d worry more about the finals we have next week. Check out some of the apartments you had in your list. Clear your head and see your other options. Once you got all the details then you can make an informed decision.”

“I… well… I guess you’re right. I did tell him that I'd give him an answer by next week.”

“Good. Now I’m going back to sleep. I got a full day of studying ahead and a microwaved breakfast in a few hours. So… good morning.” And in unison the gang hung up on Twilight returning to their beauty sleep.

(CHS) (Vice-Principal’s office)

Luna rubbed the temple between her eyes that morning feeling rather sore. Final’s week was always the most troublesome week. While it did mean that their work days were ending, it also meant that they have to be extra vigilant for all their students. Cheaters and cheat groups often run rampant during this time of the semester. Students passing notes when the teachers aren't looking, having answers to questions printed on their water bottles or written on their arms. Anything that will give them an edge to get a better score.

“Luna?” The woman looked up when her name was called. “You’re here? On a Sunday?”

“Matilda?” She recognized Cranky’s wife. They used to be very close back in their school days. “What are you doing here?”

“Cranky came to get his coat at the teacher’s lounge.” The older lady explained as she entered the room. “We’re heading off to our favorite restaurant for our semi-anniversary.”

“Semi-anniversary?” She tilted her head questioningly. "Is that a thing?"

“Trust me honey. When you’re married for as long as I have, you’ll have put up any excuse just to get out of the house.” She chuckled. “Besides, I think he’s pretty stressed out for the final’s week himself. Which I’m guessing is what you’re doing all alone here?”

“Someone has to hold the fort.” Luna reasoned, putting down her work for a minute. “And it’s only for a week. Just making sure all the regular students aren't grouped too closely together. Afterward it’ll be nothing but resting and relaxing at home with hot cup of coffee in my hand.”

“And maybe a good movie to go with it.” They shared a short laugh. “Speaking of coffee. Cranky and I saw your sister out in the café in Midtown earlier. She was with this very handsome gentleman with black wavy hair and the greatest jawline I have ever seen.”

The Vice Principal sighed happily. “That would the new Principal of Crystal Prep Academy, Professor Sombra.”

“Sombra!?” Matilda gasped. “As in our Sombra? Cute, handsome, smart hottie Sombra? The one that she broke up with?”

“The very same.” Her eye twitched on the smart nickname.

“Oh my.” Her reaction was quite natural. No one would ever really expect a pair that split a long time ago to suddenly get back together so quickly. “I knew he looked familiar. My my… he looked even more dashing than he was back in our college days. I can’t believe they’re back together again.”

“You and me both."

“We should definitely have a get-together reunion.” Matilda suggested waving her hand around cheesily. “It’ll be great to have the old gang together again. You, Celestia, me, Cranky, Sombra and Sophie… oh…” Oh indeed. “Sorry. I guess not everyone.”

No… definitely not everyone.

“It’s quite alright. Sophie was our friend – and the best of us.”

“She really was.” Matilda agreed wholeheartedly. Her head cast downward while her eyes looked into the past. “You know, Sophie was actually the one who brought me and Cranky together. He never would’ve worked up the courage to propose to me if it wasn’t for her. I was really happy for her when she got together with Sombra. She even asked me to be her Maid of Honor.”

“I know, Matilda. I was there.” And she remembered the wedding like it was just yesterday. She remembered the bride and the groom saying their vows and driving off to their honeymoon. It was a week long vacation if she recalled correctly. “It was a wonderful ceremony.”

“It’s a shame what happened to her. Those two deserve better.” They really did. Out of everyone they knew, Sophie and Sombra truly deserved a happier ending. “And what of you, dear?”

Luna blinked. “What about me?”

“Oh please. Don’t give me that.” She brushed it off casually like she knew something no one else did. “You know, when I heard that Sombra and Celestia broke up I had my money thinking that you’d be the one to swoop in.”

“Me?!” She choked, while her cheeks darkened. “Matilda. Now you’re just being silly. We couldn’t stand each other. He was such a big know-it-all.”

“Well he was the smartest one out of all of us.” The older lady grinned. “And they do say that people who argue a lot are simply showing affection the other way around.”

Luna cocked a brow at now. “Now you’re just being ridiculous.”

“Am I?” The donkey gal grinned. “Remember back in college? The three of us were lab partners for that uh… potato beam or whatyamacallit?”

“The Spud-Ray!” Luna recalled as if a part of her brain suddenly woke up. “That’s right. I remember now. It was our first year in college together. We had a free science project and I wanted to make see how many potatoes it would take to light up enough lamps to bake another potato.” She puckered her lips up in thought. “If I remember correctly, that project did not go so well.”

“It blew up on all our faces! Quite literally too.” Matilda reminded which sparked some old memories back. “The whole classroom was covered in that gunk because you thought that a hot potato would generate more power.”

“Science wasn’t exactly my best subject.” She defended. And how was she to know that it didn't matter what temperature the potato was in? “And there some good that came out of it. The whole class got to have mashed potato for lunch.”

“And Sombra was quite the looker even back then. I remember how he protested on your project so many times.”

“That was a long time ago, Matila. And honestly I was into the big muscled men out on the field. Not some egghead.” Thankfully a knock on the door interrupted their conversation.

“Hey honey. I got my coat. What you all doing here?” Cranky poked his head with a rare sweet smile on his face.

“Just reminiscing on old times dear.” Matilda waved it off before joining him. “It’s good to see you again Luna. Tell your sister that we should catch up sometimes.”

Maybe some other time.

… maybe never.

(Twilight’s house)

“Move in with me…”

The words echoed in her head like it was going on repeat.

Why in the world would Timber ask her to move in now of all time? She wished she knew. Of course she also knew that he loved her and she loved him. But moving in together, so quickly? It feels like things were just going a tad bit too fast.

And it’s not like she had any reference to go on. This was her first real relationship. She never even thought of ever getting a boyfriend until Timber showed up. But moving in with him just feels… not right. At least not right now.

“Twilight!” She nearly trip on her own toes when her brother’s voice boomed from behind. “I think that’s enough decoration for one side.”

The girl laughed awkwardly when she noted that she had pinned a few too many ribbons on the wall. They were busy decorating for the Winter Holidays making the house look for festive for the season. Apparently her mom and dad invited some old friends from the big city to celebrate the holiday in the house. It was going to be pretty big.

“You alright?” Her brother asked. “You look out of it.”

“I’m fine.” She waved it off. “Just… deep in thought. You know those formulas aren't just gonna solve themselves.”

“O… k? But weren’t you supposed to go look into a few apartments today?”

That was the plan. She was even looking forward to some of them too, like that penthouse she could never afford in a million years. But ever since Timber offered a place in his apartment she started to have cold feet.

“I was… but… I changed my mind.” She lied. “I thought I’d stay home and study for the finals.”

“Oh please. Like you haven’t aced everything CHS could throw at you.” He laughed lowly to himself as he hung the bells over the door. Her brother was probably being truthful. The lessons CHS provided was pretty much child’s play to her. Heck she could probably get an above-average grade on the exams with both eyes closed.

But then a thought came to mind. “Hey… Shining Armor. Can I ask you something?”

“Always.” He answered with a smile, not even taking his eyes off his task. “But if this is about the Sibling Supreme Crown – remember I won that round fair and square. That means I still get to keep it until New Year.”

“Oh please. You got lucky because mom gave you an easy question on our family trivia.”

“That still counts as a victory.” He smugly retorted as he produced the said crown from his jacket and placing it on his head taunting her with its very appearance. Despite its worn out look, that little piece of cardboard was worth its weight in gold for both of them. "I think I'll wear this as part of my Winter Holiday family photo. Don't you think I look dashing with it?" Twilight rolled her eyes at him.

“Don’t get too comfy with that crown. Because it’ll be mine when I beat you next year after the holidays.” She challenged back. “But no… that’s not what I meant. What I wanted to is ask about… you and Cadance.” Shining Armor turned his head, surprised.

“Oh? What about?”

“When you two first moved in together. What was it like?”

It was an unusual question so it was expected for him to show a curious expression. “Well it was pretty scary at first. I mean it was a pretty big step in our relationship and there were a lot of changes to be made. When Cadance and I started dating two years ago, none of us knew where it would take us. I mean she’s a dean and I’m just an assistant. But eventually I worked up the courage to ask her to move in with me. She was conflicted at first but then I showed her the pros and cons. And afterward she said yes. Now we live together, hang out together, share a toothbrush.”

“Ah lalalalala! Too much information!” Twilight interjected plugging her ears before she hears something she would never forget. “I was just asking for the feeling.”

He laughed and shrugged back apologetically. “Well like I said: It was scary at first. And we had a lot of bumps along the way. We fight, argue and even thought of splitting one time.”

“Really?” Her eyes shot up. “But you guys look so happy together.”

“Of course we do. But relationships aren’t just music and roses Twilly. They take a lot of work, just like every other kind of bond. Even Cadance and I fight every now and then. But after a while we were able to settle in and work together a system and we’re stronger than ever.”

“What kind of system?”

“Oh now that’s my secret, sis. And no two relationships are ever alike. You’ll have to find your own system if you want to build a strong connection with someone.”

“Oh come on! Can’t you at least give me a hint?”

His brow worked up. “Well… I suppose I can give you one tip: Communication is key. You can’t exactly get to know each other if you can’t even communicate with one another. Try and listen and give your own opinions. Find a common ground and work your way from there.”

Wow… that’s… actually kind of a good advice. A rather surprising notion coming from him.

“Huh… common ground. I guess that could work.”

“Why do you ask?” He turned the question around.

“No reason. I was just um… wanted to know what kind of experience is waiting for me. That’s all.” That was a lie and her face showed it and she could tell that her brother knew it too. But oddly enough he decided not to press it further. "Huh... common ground."

(Monday) (CHS)

Rainbow Dash found herself groaning loudly as she slammed her head at her locker door with an expression that felt similar to that of a girl whose whole world was just about to end. She mumbled lowly to her locker like someone trying to shout at a tree stump to blow all her anger away.

“What’s the matter?” Her locker neighbor, Sunset, asked. Though the question was more rhetorical since she knew what was bothering her friend. "Let me guess. The test was hard?"

“More like impossible.” RD smacked her head on her locker again mumbling profusely like she was trying to chant some mantra. “I mixed up my study session. I thought I’d have physics today. But instead I had algebra! I totally flopped on the first day of finals!”

“Ouch. That bad huh?” The redhead knew the feeling well. “Must be pretty rough. But don't fret. I'm sure you'll do better next time. You can still make up on it."

"That's easy for you to say. I'm not a genius like you or Twilight. Taking these exams is like... Fluttershy and sports." A rather specific example but it put the point across. "It takes twice as much effort for someone like me to get around numbers and equations." She groaned. "It's not my fault my brain isn't as well grounded as you guys."

"I don't think that's how things work. But if you want, maybe you can ask Professor Doodle for a makeup test instead. I’m sure he’ll understand that it was just a mistake on your part.”

“You think he’ll buy it?” Rainbow blinked.

“It can’t hurt to try.”

The multi-haired-colored gal bobbed her head. “Ugh… I can’t wait for this to end. Four days of never ending tests and studies? I mean, who does that? How do they expect students to go on that long without breaking apart?”

“Well if you’re having trouble, maybe you can drop by and study at my place tonight. I’ll even give you tips and pointers.”

“Thanks… but right now I need something else other than studies. I can’t get myself motivated if I don’t have an end goal. I mean… if I had something to look forward to, then maybe I can get myself pumped!”

Sunset can understand that. Everyone had their own goals when it came to education. Some want to have the best grades to show off to their peers like Twilight. Some do it to escape Summer School and remedial classes. For Rainbow… it was something else.

But then she smiled when her eyes cast over to the school board where Vice-Principal Luna was busy posting a new flyer. “Well if you need motivation… I think we found it.”

Rainbow Dash approached and read it out loud. “The CHS Winter Holiday/End of the Year Party?”

“That’s right.” Luna nodded proudly. “Seeing as the school will be closing for a few weeks, I thought that it’d be a great idea to host a grand celebration for the end of the semester. There’ll be food and dancing for everyone. What better way to kick off the end of the semester than with a grand celebration? All within range of the law of course.” She added that last bit strangely quick like she was trying to avoid a lawsuit. “Think of it as a way for us teachers to give back to the students.”

Yeah right. More like another grand opportunity to pinch food and drinks from the party. A few students caught her pocketing bottles of cider and even a whole ham in her bag. It was pretty much a known secret. But she wasn’t gonna mention that.

“A party!?” Rainbow’s expression turned a complete 180. “Awesome! Finally! Some proper motivation!” She ignored Sunset rolling her eyes at her. “If there’s a party here in school that means there’ll be music, and music means a band. I’ve been itching to shred my guitar for a while now. I’m guessing you want the Sonic Rainbooms to perform?”

The flowing haired woman shook her head in reply. “Thank you for the offer Rainbow Dash but another band has been booked for the party.”

“What? But why? We’re the biggest band in the whole school! We got spotted on movies and even have our own musical being played in the mall! How are we not playing for the biggest party of the school?” Rainbow Dash protested. “That’s so unfair! I demand to speak with the person in charge!”

Luna coughed. “Yes?”

“Uh… oh! Ahehehe…” Well that was an embarrassing snide but she quickly recovered. “Anyway, I can’t let this stand. As the leading performer of the Rainbooms, I'm putting my foot down. Who’s the sucker who'll be playing for the party?”

“That would be us.” Another voice interjected making them turn to the source. A blue haired boy winked at them folding his arms together by the locker. "The Flash Drive..."

“Flash!?” Rainbow gawked. “You’re the one they asked to play for the Winter Holiday party? But… why? The Rainbooms have been the biggest band here in CHS! We got gigs all over the city and a music video!”

“True. But as of our performance at the park…” He pulled up his phone, playing a video of their performance for them to see. “The Flash Drive has are now known worldwide. Over 3 million views in just 48 hours. Boom! Take that.”

“Oh pffft. Big whoop.” Rainbow Dash scoffed. “Our band would’ve made twice that number if we had a chance to perform on the big stage. Hits on a video doesn’t prove which of us is better.”

“Sounds like somebody’s jealous.” He teased with a casual smile. “Sorry to say, but it looks like the gig is ours. You'll have to take it up with the folks on top.”

“I bet I can outplay you at your own game.”

Flash’s eyes gleamed. “That sounds like a challenge Rainbow Dash. You really think you can outshred this talent?” He pulled out his guitar from his locker, pointing the tail end at his opponent, to which she accepted.

“I know I can outshred you.” She countered back raising her hand up to grab her own guitar that Pinkie handed from the corner of the room. How she got there - and how she disapeared a second later, no one will ever know. “Let’s have a shred-off. Winner takes all, unless you're afraid.”

“Sounds good to me.” He agreed. “But… why don’t we make it a little more… interesting?” Flash grinned as an idea came to mind. “Loser gets to play backup guitar at the party.”

“Ha! You are so on!” They shook hands on it almost immediately. “Alright then. Ready? Shr—”

“AHEM!” Luna coughed out loud quickly silencing the two. “While I do want this situation resolved quickly. You two do remember that we’re still in the middle of the exam week? You two can settle this matter afterschool.”

“Fine by me…”

“Me too…” The two rockers grinned equally confident of their victory.

(Library)

Ugh… thank god for some peace and quiet. Twilight wasn’t exactly sure what happened but the students at the hallway seemed all riled for some reason. Probably something silly. She only had about 40 minutes of lunch period before her next test so she thought she’d come by and do a little research.

Thankfully the library seemed pretty empty this time of day so there was no risk of anyone interfering or interrupting her…

“Rarity?” She spotted the fashionista on one of the study tables buried under a ton of books. The bored look on her face quickly brightened when she heard her name called out. “I didn’t expect you to be here. Studying for the next exam?”

“No. I’m actually doing a bit of research.” She flashed the cover of her book which depicted a cartoony dragon facing off a giant robot.

“Research? With comics?” Twilight questioned. "You have a subject on comics?"

“It’s for my designs for Hoity Toity.” She explained with a soft groan. “I’ve been looking for something to inspire me. Normally I’d have something hit me by now. But it’s already been three days and I’ve gotten nothing.”

“Wow… must be hard to meet his standard.”

“It is incredibly high. But that’s why he’s the best of the best. Those that joined are already peering under pressure. Vignette just texted me saying that six of them already quit from peer pressure – and their designs were magnificent. You should’ve seen their princess gowns, the knight’s suit and renaissance outfits. They were simply divine.” And that was a big praise coming from her. “I simply can’t go with my usual one night stands. I need something different. Something big and bold. Something no one has ever seen before.” She looked at her book and sighed at its contents. “And somehow I think dragons and robots won’t even begin to fit in his category. They’re just so common, so... ordinary. I require a new muse to jolt my inspiration. Something to elevate my imagination to greater heights!”

“Is that why you’re studying history and myths?” Twilight pointed at the number of ancient history tomes on the table.

“I’m desperate darling. I’ve been combing through other culture to broaden my horizon. Yakyakistan Stomping Dance, Saddle Arabia’s Desert Bandits, even the ye-old Canterlot.”

“And…?”

“And nothing! I got nothing!” The fashionista went full bananas on her. Flaring with her hand and drama. “I have tried everything! Mermaids, elves, trolls and unicorns! But they all look… and feel… mediocre! I want something new! Fresh! Something that’ll no one has ever seen! A Loch Ness Monster of my own creation. But… I have nothing. The muse has left me!”

Well there goes the drama. Nothing surprising there. But Twilight wasn’t one to leave a friend hanging.

“Well maybe you need to look at something… older.” Rarity gave her a questioning brow. “Like the Yaztec. Here.” She pulled out her phone showing the ruins she discovered in the mountains. “I snapped these during my exploration in the cave systems. They’re ancient runes.”

“Oh my. Those look beautiful.” The drama queen gasped, as she browsed through the pictures. “Oh they’re lovely. And this statue in particular is gorgeous. Hmmm… it’s mythical, fantasy. A little out there but… this might just give me something to go on! I… don’t suppose you’ll mind sending me these pictures for some inspiration juice?”

“Of course. Anything for a friend.” She gladly sent them joining her on the table for a little studying.

“Thank you darling. Hopefully this’ll get me out of my rut.” Rarity giggled. “Speaking of friends. Have you decided on what to do with your… new roommate?” Twilight hushed her. “I wasn’t shouting dear.”

“I know. But I still don’t want anyone to find out. This is a big deal for me. And… no. I still haven’t decided. It’s been on my mind since yesterday and I can’t seem to think rationally at all! I think all that stress might’ve even affected my final exam!”

“I don’t see why you’re so upset.” Of course she wouldn’t. “If I was in your shoes I would’ve said yes the moment he asked. You two are going to have to move in together at some point, don’t you agree?”

“Well yeah. But I didn’t expect it to be this soon. I mean… am I crazy?”

“Crazy in love or just plain crazy?”

“Who cares!?” She freaked before dropping her head on the table. “Ugh… why did he have to do this to me? And right in the middle of finals week!”

“Darling, please. Calm down.” Rarity insisted, giving her a breathing gesture. “Surely you must’ve done some consideration about this.”

“Oh I have. I even got a pad counting the pros and cons of this moving!” She pulled out said pad which listed the goods and bads. “And guess what. They’re tied too! I tried thinking of a tie breaker but there isn’t one! My brother says that I should talk things out with him first but he already made his decision. Timber wants me to move in with him.”

“Well you already know my opinion dear. But alas, the final decision is yours to make. Whether you move in with him or not, I’m sure he will respect it."

"So you're saying you got no advice for me."

The fashionista paused, looked up and nodded. "I suppose so."

Twilight slammed her head on the table.

(Courtyard) (After school)

“You sure you wanna do this Rainbow Dash?” Sunset asked her friend who continued to do her stretching routine like she was about to do a marathon.

“Course I do! I’m the best shredder there is!”

“But this Flash we’re talking about here.” She reasoned. “I know that you’re a great player, but I’ve seen him play too. Not to brag on him or anything, but between the two of you, I’m gonna have to put my money on his side.”

“Oh relax Sunshim. I got this.” Rainbow Dash puffed her cheeks. “You talk like you know his skills.”

“Who do you think taught me how to play?” She grinned cheesily which made the multi-color haired gal blush a bit. “Just remember. No magic and no Ponying-Up. Principal Celestia was clear on that.”

“Pfft. Don’t worry. This’ll be a cakewalk. Besides, I got reason and motive. I’m fighting to retain our crown!” Rainbow Dash reasoned back, huffing her chest.

“We have a crown?”

“Duh! Our crown of being the most awesomest band in all of CHS. We have to defend it.” Of course she’d makeup a crown for herself. “You wouldn’t let some random band come out of nowhere and destroy all our hard work.”

“I don’t think that is what’s happening right now.” Sunset rolled her eyes which fell upon the crowd. Strangely enough there were a lot of students here. Exams were done for the day so she expected the lot of them to head on home already. But strangely enough they were all lingering. Like they knew that a show was going to happen. “Why is everyone still here? Do they know about the shred-off between you and Flash?”

“Of course they do. Who do you think told them?” Of course you would. “It wouldn’t be much of a victory if it didn’t have an audience.” For some reason that didn’t surprise Sunset as much as it was supposed to – and she wasn’t sure whether to be disappointed in Rainbow or herself for that matter.

But then the crowd went quiet when the door to the school opened revealing her ex-boyfriend wielding his guitar like a man with a purpose. One side of the audience split apart as he strutted in like Moses and the Red Sea. He had a confident look on his face which… made him look kinda of dashing if she was being honest. It actually made her heart beat a tone faster than normal. As he approach she slowly moved aside giving the ground to the two rockers.

“So you're finally here.” Rainbow Dash spoke up first like a comical villain waiting for the hero to arrive at the tower to face the final boss. “I was beginning to think you weren’t gonna show.”

Flash curled a small grin on his lips. “I thought you might need time to prepare.”

“I was ready a long time ago.” She countered. “What’s the matter? Got cold feet?”

“I never get cold feet. I actually got held up with my science test. An easy B+ if I do say so myself.”

“Wait… seriously!?” Rainbow Dash blinked, breaking out of character. “You got a B+? How? I spent all night studying for that test and Ms. Cheerilee said that I got a C-.”

“It’s all in the formula.” He answered with a tone that made him borderline confident and arrogant. “But enough about tests. Are you ready to play backup for the Flash Drive?”

"You mean you're going to be playing for the Rainbooms."

"Oh... cute. Just remember that this'll be a band thing. So everyone in the group will have to wear matching jackets." Flash chuckled. "Hope you like leather."

“In your dreams, Flash Sentry.”

“Oh Rainbow Dash.” He chuckled. “You’ll find that most of my dreams… come true.” Oh wow. That is a cool counter taunt. Sunset nodded impressively ignoring her friend’s glare. Even the crowd seemed to agree with her on this.

They immediately got into their battle stances, each ready to shred it off. That was the sign telling Sunset that she should back away before things get heated.

Rainbow Dash played first doing a simple chime on her cords earning a few respectful nods from the audience. It was a slow but effective start. A dip in the water, if you will.

“Not bad. Not bad at all.” Flash gave an approving gesture. “But even an amateur can do that.” He then strutted his guitar, going out hard and strong off from the starting line which stirred the audience quite a bit. “Try beating that.”

“Oh please. That’s easy. I thought you could do with a head start.” She then returned, doing a long winded solo act which the crowd cheered at.

“Now we’re getting somewhere.” Cracking his knuckles, the rocker boy began strutting too and there was no doubt in anyone’s mind that he did it better. No doubt the customization he put in his guitar played a part on his performance.

This whole scenario went on for another two minutes or so which the crowd grew unexpectedly more riled. Even Sunset could feel the tunes strumming her body. Put those two together and you'll have yourself a party. Despite the battle she wasn't surprised that Rainbow Dash was being pushed back. She could tell because her friend was beginning to sweat buckets after the last play. Every show she put out with all her vigor, Flash seemed to be able to match it and more. Both of them were equally motivated and passionate about their skills, but there was a difference in their act. Something that Flash lacked and what Rainbow had in abundance.

An inflated ego.

Rainbow Dash had a lot of passion, and her heart was always in her songs but when her prideful and impatient personality comes to the picture everything else just seems to drown away. It rears its ugly head whenever she goes on solo. She thinks that she's strong enough to take on the entire world and that nothing and no one can stop her.

Granted, that kind of personality was often necessary for someone like Rainbow Dash. But there are times when she becomes... too hypnotized by her own desire for victory.

And that alone marred her performance.

“What’s the matter RD?” Flash tried to sound confident as he panted for air. “You look… tired. Need a minute to... catch your breath?”

“Oh don’t you worry about me.” Rainbow forced out a weak smile. “I’m about to cook up a storm. I'm just getting my… second wind.”

“Then I guess you won’t mind if I go ahead and… steal your thunder!” The boy played and he played hard. He strummed his guitar with all the power his fingers could muster and let the tune vibrate throughout the school. It echoed over everyone, catching the attention of pedestrians, animals and even the worms living underground. The students who gathered were immediately enraptured, some had their guts twisting for that pitch. A powerful force emanated from the rock star, before he let out the final strut metaphorically blowing them away.

And when the last note was finished the crowd stood in anticipating silence before they erupted into an energizing applause that drowned all other sounds away. Not even Rainbow Dash could match that.

“I call that the Flash Drive Fold Special.” He finished with a triumphant smile. “Let’s see you top that.”

She couldn’t. Not at her level. Not without something to help even the odds.

“You’re… about… to find out!”

Uh oh. Sunset didn’t like where this was headed. Her unicorn senses were tingling and that could only mean that either magic was afoot or Rainbow Dash was about to do something stupid - or perhaps a bit of both.

And just like clockwork, when Rainbow Dash began to play her next tune her body began to hum with power. Electricity coursed through her guitar as it spat out static. You can feel the energy pulsing through dangerously like a loose wire. It was enough to send some folks stepping back in fear.

Not one to be done over, Flash decided to answer her challenge and played into her beat. He made a fair attempt. But with all that power humming in the air, Rainbow Dash was now in a whole new level.

“Try this on for size!”

Oh crud. Sunset recognized that stupid maneuver. She was gonna do a Rainboom Dive Bomb. It was the finisher to her solo performance. A trick she made up a while back but never really implemented it to the band due to the danger it entailed. Apparently volatile magic wasn’t exactly safe especially when a large crowd was involved.

“Rainbow Dash! Stop!” But Sunset came by a little too late as the girl came crashing down exploding in a mushroom cloud of rainbows blowing people away – and this time… quite literally. A crater the size of a vending machine was left in her wake. The girl knelt at the center of it all, her body all ponied-up.

“HA! Beat that Flash Sentry!” Rainbow Dash shouted victoriously while panting between words.

“Beat that indeed.” An authorizing voice interjected from a shadow that loomed over her. Rainbow whipped around and shuddered when she came face to face with Principal Celestia wearing a deep and menacing frown. “Sunset Shimmer, Rainbow Dash… my office. Now.”

PreviousChapters Next