• Published 10th Nov 2019
  • 5,071 Views, 831 Comments

Equestria Girls: Love Is Magic - onekface



A new enemy threatens Sunset's new home. It craves magic and it craves all who has it. She and her friends must rise to face it. But they can't do it alone. Flash x Mane 7

  • ...
19
 831
 5,071

PreviousChapters Next
Consultation Recreation

Chapter 27: Consultation Recreation

(Friday) (Afternoon) (Canterlot Mall)

Twilight stretched out her arms when she finally got out of the electronic store. Her morning shift was over and she got her paycheck. It wasn’t much but it was a start to pay her parents back for all the electric expenditure she accumulated. She wasn’t worried though. By the time she graduates from Everton Academy and win her first Nobel Prize, she’ll be paying it back with interest.

It stinks that her folks had to cut her lab off from the electrical grid, but she also understood why they did it. There was simply no way that they could sustain it. Not with their salary at least. So it’ll be up to her if she wants to reach the pinnacle of magic research.

But before she can even get there, she’ll need to resolve a couple of hurdles first. Like her love life.

She looked to her phone and noted the five miss calls on screen. No doubt Timber was on the other line eagerly awaiting her answer to his question. Twilight had been ducking his calls ever since her work at the store hoping to buy herself enough time to figure things out.

Twilight considered herself to be a smart lass. Smarter than your average Joe anyway. But when it comes to love or relationships, she was dumber than a donkey. She simply had no reference to go on with this problem.

“Twilight?” Her train of thoughts was interrupted when she heard a familiar voice coming from a nearby boutique.

“Rarity? Applejack?” She blinked at the pair. “What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be in Hoity Toity’s pageant right about now?”

“Oh I do darling. But the show is still in the evening. Applejack here will be driving me there and provide morale support. I just came to get my things from Ms. Hemline’s boutique as I have officially resigned myself from her service.”

“Resigned? Fully?” Twilight gasped. “You mean you aren’t working here anymore?”

“That’s what I said darling.”

She cocked a brow. “Isn’t that rushing it a bit?”

“That’s what I said.” AJ added in agreement. “But Rarity here thought that she needed to complete her transition or something.”

“Of course! An aspiring artist like myself cannot be static forever. I need to move on, evolve, like a living organism.” Rarity put up her dramatic hand gestures once more. “While I do enjoy my time with Ms. Hemline, clinging to her like this will only make me stale. I must move on to greener pastures, advance my imagination and knowledge of fashion. Until I stand alone at the top! Besides, with my publicity going around, I may have just enough to even start my own boutique. It will be… amazing! My victory alone at the pageant show tonight will solidify my position!”

“Well someone’s confident.” Twilight chuckled. “Sorry I can’t support you directly. My family’s celebrating the Winter Holiday with a big dinner tonight, and Shining Armor’s bringing Cadance along.”

“Oooh~ the former Principal?” Applejack whistled coolly earning a giggle from her friends. “Must be nice having friends at the top.”

“Speaking of friends.” Rarity’s mood darkened a bit. “I don’t suppose you’ve had any luck finding out about… our shadowy suspect.”

Sadly Twilight did not. “No. Without my lab or any of my equipment, progress is slow. All we know so far is that whoever is controlling the new batch of shadow monsters has the same black gemstone that Cinch used.”

“So just about anyone.” The cowgirl groaned lowly.

“Sorry. Can you stay with Applejack for a few more days? Just to play it safe?”

“Of course she can. No way I’m letting some monster get the drop on her. Rarity’s safe as long as I’m around. Besides… it’s nice to have someone to talk to at night. It’s like Pinkie said. It’s a never ending sleepover party. Who knew a little girl talk can be so much fun?” She added that last bit bashfully which did not escape Twilight’s notice.

“Oooh… girl talk? Sounds interesting. Anything I should know?”

Rarity zipped her lips in reply. “I’m sorry darling. But that is a piece of juicy tidbit between me and Applejack. You’ll have to subscribe to our sleepover party if you want the whole scoop.”

That was a tempting offer. Twilight did enjoy many of their sleepovers and late night study sessions, but they were few and far between. Even less so now with trouble brewing just around the corner. God. She wished that they didn’t have to deal with this secret organization.

“I might just take that offer once this whole magic escapade is over.”

“One can only hope.” Rarity nodded in agreement. “And what of you, darling?” She turned the question around. “Any plans after this or are you going straight home?”

“Straight home.” She shrugged. “But after I make one quick stop. I’ll catch you on TV?”

“I’ll be sure to have all cameras on me!”

xxxxxxxxxx

Twilight quickly parted ways with her friends and made dashed to the comic store at the far end of the mall. She remembered it well seeing as she came here so many times with her brother when she was little. Shining Armor loved to browse the area, glancing at his favorite comics, thinking of saving just enough money to buy them. He also loved the smell of oil, ink and the mint freshener that kept the store in a below average temperature. It was practically his old haunting grounds. But ever since he graduated from Crystal Prep and had Cadance move in with him, he’s been visiting this place less and less. It was a loss of a regular customer.

And thus Twilight came up with the perfect gift for her brother for the Winter Holiday.

“Hello there good sir.” She gestured to the part-time worker by the cashiers who seemed to be engaged in a comic himself sipping on a drink.

He looked up, at her toothy smile before putting his piece of literature away. “Cavn I helzp yuz Misssh?” The boy slurred through his braces

“I would like a copy of the Space Cavalry Warriors issue #133, mint-condition. Please.” It was Shining’s favorite comic. He practically had every issue collecting dust somewhere. Heck, a few dozen of them were still lingering in his old room.

“Oh sawwry miss.” He apologized sarcastically. “Buts dat issuze’s sold outz. Wez gav zhe last coppee hourz avo.”

“WHAT?! But that issue should’ve just came in yesterday! How did it all disappear so fast?”

“Two wordz: Pre-Orderz fft.” He smiled cheerfully, while Twilight resisted the urge to correct his error. “Itz berry popular adround here.”

“I know. That’s why I want to buy one!” The girl grumbled lowly to herself. So much for completing Shining’s comic set. “Do you have one that’s not in near-mint condition?”

“Nope.”

“A plain condition?”

“Nope.”

“A semi-plain condition?

“E…nope.”

She snapped. “What are you, Big Mac 2.0!?” A chuckle from behind grabbed her attention away from the frightened worker.

“Don’t be angry at him. It’s not his fault that all the copies are gone. When a comic is that popular, you won’t find many of them on opening week.” The boy walked up next to her flashing his good old smile that would’ve melted the heart of her Equestrian counterpart.

“Flash? You’re… here?”

“As a dedicated fan to a number of comics myself, I do come here often.” He winked at her before handing the cashier some cash which prompted the worker to produce several volumes of the comics all neatly wrapped on the table. “Though I never took you as a fan.”

“I’m not. The only books I’m interested in are those with educational values, not colorful fantasy pictures.” If a book couldn’t advance her academic goals, why be printed at all? “I came to get a gift for Shining Armor. For the Winter Holiday. I was supposed to get his favorite comic but they’re out. It’s ridiculous. There's a limit to how popular a thing can get.”

Flash placed a hand on his chin as he thought. “Hmm… get him… Tunnel Cats.”

Twilight’s head tilted. “You mean that comic about mutated cats living in the sewers, fighting crime? Doesn’t sound that remarkable.”

“Any self-respecting fan of Space Cavalry Warriors would definitely love it. It’s got the same vibe even when it's not in space. Trust me. Take a leap of faith.” He gestured to the cashier who quickly went out of his way to search for the said comic. “Speaking of comics. I don’t suppose you girls are in for another adventure soon. The last one in the cave was a while ago.”

She looked back at the boy, surprised. “You know about that?”

“Sunset told me.” He smugly answered, which she eyed him, not believing that for a second. “Ok I tricked her into telling me. It wasn't really that hard. But seriously. A magic trap and a giant monster all inside one cave? That’s like a standard level 4 adventure for you girls. I’m kinda surprised no one’s made a movie out of your adventures yet. Daring Do would be put to shame compared to you guys.”

“Don’t let Rainbow Dash hear you say that or she’ll talk your ear off.”

“I’m just saying that the adventures you girls go through will make one heck of a TV series. You would all be the heroes facing off evil monsters and rogue magic while you have me as your trusty sidekick/love interest.”

Twilight curled an amused brow. “Love interest? Really?”

“Well yeah. There’d be plenty of people who’d have their own ships on it.”

“Ships?” That brow rose upward.

“You know? The thing where people put two or more p…”

“I know what shipping is.” She smugly interrupted. “I’ve watched enough shows to have my dreams dashed so many times. But I just can’t help but notice that you happen to be shipping yourself with a certain… redhead in our group.”

His face turned a shade redder than normal. “What~~? No~. I would… never… really…” Oh yeah. He definitely still had some lingering feelings for Sunset. “Ok you got me. What gave me away?”

“The fact that you throw yourself in harm’s way for us.” Twilight leaned on him, elbowing his side like a sibling who knew too much. “I mean who else do you know who would willingly go into a firefight between magical superpowers for complete strangers?” He blushed slightly at that. “So~~ you’re still holding a torch for Sunset, eh? Or should I say that it never went out.”

“Well it did help when she turned over a new leaf. In fact… this new her, reminds me of the old Sunset too.”

“The big meanie Sunset?”

“No. Way before that.” He corrected offering with an amused laugh. “When I first met Sunset, she was kind of like… Twilight. The other Twilight. Everything seemed new and mysterious to her. Kind of like a lost puppy but also very curious about… everything.” His eyes grew foggy as if reminiscing of a distant memory. “I think that’s what drew me to her in the first place.”

“So it wasn’t love at first sight?”

“Heh. No. But close. Did she ever tell you how we got together?”

She shrugged though deep down she felt intrigued. “Sunset doesn’t really talk much about her past.” Almost never actually. A lot of bad memories linger there. Something she doesn’t want to visit. “She’s more of a ‘Now’ kind of person.”

“That makes sense. But it wasn’t all bad. She was actually kind of nice before she got all power hungry. In fact… she and I found Bananas together.” The dog? They actually found that adorable little thing. “It was on our way back from the movies. She found it at an alley hiding in a cardboard box. We wanted to keep it together but she wasn’t really that into animals... or responsibilities yet. So she asked me to hold onto it. She was so kind and sweet that I couldn't stop myself for falling for her. That’s when I asked her to go out with me.”

“Aww… that actually sounds really sweet.” Twilight cooed, her mind already taking mental notes to tease her best friend about Bananas on a later date. But then a thought came to mind. “Hey Flash. You’re a guy, right?”

The question made him stare at her like she had gone mad. “Uh… yeah. Thanks for noticing.”

She face palmed herself. “No. Not like that. I mean… you used to date Sunset, right?”

“That’s kind of what I’ve been saying these last few minutes.” He shrugged. “Why?”

“Did you two… ever had a serious talk? Like a grownup kind of talk.”

“I don’t really understand the question. Sunset and I only dated for about a semester. The only serious talk we’ve ever had was when we broke up.” That sounds about right.

Twilight’s face shied away as she tried to form the question. It was hard talking to other people about these things. “If you and I were dating…” Both of them froze as several eavesdropping heads turned in their direction. “No wait. That came out wrong.”

“Easy there Twilight.” He reached out for her shoulder, giving her a reassuring pat. “What’s this really about?”

Again she sighed. She’s been doing that a lot lately, especially when it came to this topic. She was about to explain but closed her mouth when she noted everyone in the store staring at them, especially the cashier who had returned some time ago, sipping his drink, intrigued by their conversation.

xxxxxxxxxx

“So Timber asked you to move in with him?” Flash sounded surprised after he listened intently to Twilight’s story. They left the comic store not long afterward and claimed a bench by the fountain, the girl buying him a drink as compensation for listening to her woes. “That’s…awesome!”

“No… not awesome.” Twilight corrected him with an irritated tone. “It was totally unexpected. You can’t just drop that kind of pressure on someone without some kind of warning. How can I make a sound decision just like that?”

“Well, what did you tell him?”

“I told him I’d think about it.” Ugh… it feels like she’s been saying that about a dozen times over now.

“Why don’t you ask your friends?”

“Already did that. And the vote is split. Half of them says I should go for it and the other half says I should say no. At least… until I’m ready. So right now I have until the end of the week to give him an answer.” She traced her hands down her cheeks dragging her eyes downward. “I’ve been piling over all the pros and cons and I still can’t make a decision. I can solve a scientific problem within 2 minutes flat. But this? This is just too hard.”

Flash nodded back in understanding. “I think I understand what you’re going through. That kind of decision is a big deal. One wrong move and your whole future plans might derail.”

“Right!?” Yes. Finally, someone who gets it.

“But on a personal opinion, I think you should go for it.”

Twilight slammed a hand over her chest as she choked on her drink. “WHAT!? Are you crazy!?”

“Wait. Hear me out for a second here.” He raised his hand up like a shield. “I know that this might be a big decision and it can also be very scary. But try to see it from Timber’s point of view.” Oh… that was a new one. “You find this whole change to be scary, right? Well… how do you think he’s taking it? If I was in his shoes, I’d be freaking out just like you.”

“You have a 3 storied mansion.”

He bobbed his head giving point to her. “True. But I’d also be scared. I mean this is also going to be a big change in my life. Asking the girl I love to move in with me?” Flash gave her a smile. “It takes a lot of courage to ask that. And I wouldn’t do it unless I was absolutely sure she was the one. I’m sure Timber’s thinking of the same thing too.”

That… was actually a good point. Twilight considered herself a girl who can be calm in tough situations – with a few exceptions of course. And if she was getting this worked up with this, she can’t even begin to imagine what Timber was going through. The guy must’ve worked through hundreds of simulations to think that this would be a good idea. Heck, the nerves he gathered alone must’ve been immense. It takes guts to actually pop that question.

“Wow… I never thought of it that way. He must be facing a crisis too, having me invade his personal space like that.”

“Exactly. Besides, I think your reaction is pretty normal.” Flash nodded back taking another sip from his drink. “Consider you and me dating. Hypothetically.” He waved his hand again exaggerating that last word. “If I asked you to move in with me, would you say yes?”

“Yes.”

He blinked. “What?”

“What? I mean no.” Whoa, that was weird. Why’d she say that all of a sudden? “But then again, you do have a three storied house, a garage full of cars, and a large indoor swimming pool and as Fluttershy would say: An AVIARY!”

“Right~~. So… anyway. What I’m saying is: Timber got the courage to ask you to truly be a part of his life. And I think you should give it a shot. Take a leap of faith.”

“Easy for you to say when you’re not the one making a big decision that’ll change your life forever.”

“True. But like I said… give it a shot. I think you both deserve a chance of trying new things.” He laid on hand over her head looking like a big brother giving sagely advice. “And besides, it’s bound to happen sooner or later.”

Twilight blushed back, feeling the warmth of his hand on her hair. It felt… good somehow. But the moment passed when his phone rang up forcing him to retract his hand. He answered it, rolling his eyes and groaning.

“I gotta head home. My dad's calling me. You gonna be ok?”

“Yeah… definitely. You’ve… given me a lot to think about.” With a shy wave she watched as the boy disappear into the crowd leaving her alone to ponder on her thoughts. Though honestly there really wasn’t much to think about. Flash had shattered her reasoning and gave her no excuse. She had her answer. Delaying it now would only make things more awkward. Quietly she reached out for her phoned, sighing lowly at the number on screen. It rang a few times before the other line answered back with a chippy tone.

“Hello there, beautiful.”

“Hey… Timber. You got a minute?”

“For you? I got all the time in the world.”

(Midtown apartment)

It was a moment of rare serenity at Sirens’ apartment. Something Adagio was more than happy to have and savored every second of it like it was her favorite drink. She sat by the TV, munching some leftover treats from the fridge while enjoying a bit of entertainment in the dumb electronic picture box. Sonata was taking her afternoon nap after stuffing her stomach full of snacks. As for Aria, she was busy reading some of that teen magazine, chuckling at the tidbit and juicy gossips, sometimes filling out the questionnaires inside. Like any of that would actually mean anything in real life.

But she didn’t mind it. So long as they were quiet, they could be quietly killing each other for all she cared.

Her favorite show was on. She didn’t quite understand the name but it was something akin to barbaric torture in the most deliciously painful way. Three teams would compete in this show standing upon separate raised platforms above ice cold water, all answering a series of general knowledge questions asked by the host of the show. Every correct answer would net them money depending on the difficulty of the question, while an incorrect answer would take away a portion of their winnings. Three wrong answers would then take out a piece of their platform making the team huddle together cramped like an island getting smaller and smaller. The misery and disdain they expressed there was entertaining to say the least.

After one too many mistakes are made and money lost, the team’s cohesion would break down like a house of cards. They’d begin to ire one another, accuse one another for stupidity for the smallest margins of error. And the situation will reach a boiling point when the group of people who hate each other will have to share space at a platform that was getting smaller and smaller by the minute. Her favorite part is when the argument reaches its peak and the group would willingly push one of their own out just to get some ‘breathing’ room.

All in all, it was hilarious. Their disdain was enough to make the siren crack a smile… maybe even a chuckle if they were malicious enough.

But just as the mood was getting good, and the questions getting harder, her enjoyment came to an abrupt end when their sixth senses kicked in. Adagio's magical abilities tickled as she felt it moving just outside the window.

At first she thought it was another one of those shadow monsters. They felt similar in nature but this one slithered around, keeping itself hidden just enough to barely be felt. She readied herself for an assault but quickly dropped her battle stance when she realized that they weren’t coming for them.

“You felt it too?” Aria asked as she encroached on the window, eyeing the folks below. “You think it’s those shadow wolves again?”

“Maybe…” Her leader answered, taking a quick glance outside only to shut the blinds. “But this one feels a tad different. And it doesn’t look like they’re here for us.”

“I’ll keep the nightlight on, just in case.” They both agreed on that part. “Should we tell those CHS girls?”

“We don't owe those girls anything for all I care. Besides... I get the feeling they already know.” She groaned annoyingly. “We should consider forming a defensive spell around the building too as a first line countermeasure.”

“I’ll do it.” Aria volunteered stopping her leader from going at it. “Unlike you and Sonata, I still have most of my powers intact.”

“I’m fine.”

“And I still beg to differ.”

“I said I’m fine!”

Her raised tone was enough to raise Sonata from her sleep. “Wha? What’s going on? Whaz… *yawn* happening?”

“It’s just the wind.” Aria reassured her little friend. The last thing she needed to know was that another monster was lurking outside of their apartment. “Go back to sleep Sonata.”

“Way~ ahead of you. Zzzzzz…” She conked back down a second later, snoozing all the way to dreamville.

(Hoity Toity Trendsetter)

Applejack parked her old timey truck near the store breathing a sigh of relief that they were able to avoid the Friday traffic. The boutique itself was surrounded by a crowd of would-be audience and camera crew, all prepping for the big show later tonight. It shouldn’t be a surprise seeing as one of the leading legend was spearheading this show on his own. A big name like Hoity was bound to draw a massive crowd no matter where he went.

“Here we are.” She announced to her resident fashionista who peppered herself with makeup. “You ready for this?”

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” Rarity replied holding as much confidence as she could in her tone. “Thank you again for coming to support me on this. I wouldn’t know what to do if I didn’t have you.”

“Aww shucks. Don’t mention it. It’s the least I can do for ya after you had me talk your ear off last night about my little problem.”

“Your Flash problem?” A grin showed itself on her seductive lips. “Don’t worry dear. I have no intentions of telling anyone. Though I admit it was quite a shocked. Of all the people to crush on, it had to be him. I know I joked about you two getting together before, but imagine my surprise when it actually came true.”

“It ain’t a done deal yet.” Applejack retorted. “We aren’t exactly an item.”

“Not with that attitude darling.” She let out a teasing chuckle. “Ah… this is just the kind of gossip my boring life needs. A little spice for this bland existence. Tell me darling. What are your plans to… ahem… woo him to your side?”

“Honestly? I’m not even sure. I was gonna invite him to lunch and see where we go from there.”

“And you expect him to ask you out just like that?”

“Isn’t that how things work?”

Rarity cupped her head in distraught. “Oh Applejack. Dear dear Applejack. You’re way more behind than I thought. You might actually need help with this.”

“Uh… what?”

“But not to worry. Your best friend Rarity is here for you and will guide you through the primal art of seduction!”

Seduction!? The cowgirl gulped fearing what those lessons might entail. She heard about such things and read through some topics on the internet. It was a woman’s weapon in ensnaring their prey. The swaying of hips, the licking of your lips, word play, eye gazing and so on. The mere thought of it made her sweat.

“I don’t think I need…”

Rarity pressed a finger on her friend’s lips, shushing her. “Ah ah darling. Leave it all to me. We can start your lessons tonight after the show. By the end of the week, you’ll be a master of manipulation. Flash Sentry won’t be able to take his eyes off you even for a second.”

“That’s a little excessive.”

“Do you not want to get Flash's attention?”

“I do, but not like…”

“Then it’s settled. You’ve successfully enrolled yourself in Rarity’s class of Seducing 101. First lesson is tonight. Don’t be late.” And without even waiting for a reply, the fashionista dropped out and gathered her things from the back of the truck but quickly returned to the window. “Oh and before I forget. Here’s your entry ticket. The security will let you through without hassle. Wish me luck. Toodles~.”

(Flash’s house) (Evening)

Dang it. How does anyone breathe with these?

Flash looked at his reflection on the mirror pulling the edges of his collar as he struggled to breathe in his attire. He never thought he’d don he Gallopers’ vintage wine suit again so quickly after his first playdate with Pinkie. He’d forgotten how uncomfortable it was especially around the neck. He could hardly gulp a chunk of air without having his tie literally choke him with each gasp.

His father had made all the arrangements at the house, bringing the full mass of his wealth in full view for every visitor. He put out the expensive wine cases, decked out the front entrance with all the priceless vases and paintings so that their guests would be showered and perhaps even overwhelmed by all the gaudiness they had on display. Even the hallway leading to the dining room and living room were freshly mopped and cleaned right down to the microscopic bacteria. Servants were also posted in each of the rooms and paid overtime for the night. If Flash didn't know better, this meeting might actually be important for his old man.

“How is your suit, sir?” His butler asked from the side already knowing the answer.

“It’s… a little tight around the neck.” He groaningly answered. “You sure I can’t undo one button?”

“Etiquette dictates for such a special event that it should be fully buttoned, sir. Anything else would be deemed as an insult.” It wouldn’t be much of an insult if he chokes on his own spit.

Ugh… stupid high class etiquette. Honestly – whoever made those rules must’ve been a master in terms of torture! Even the suit he wore was downright uncomfortable. He looked good in it yeah, but his usual outfit also gave the same sense. Not to mention the sleeves kept tickling the wound on his hand.

“Well those people back then must’ve learned to breathe some other way because this suit is strangling me to the bone.”

“May I suggest a clip-on tie, sir?”

“Maybe.” He shrugged. “Speaking of which. Is that thing I asked you for ready yet?”

The butler nodded. “Almost, sir. The ballroom is still being prepped prior to your request. It should be done momentarily.”

“Great! At least tonight won’t be a complete awkward fest.”

“Edmund. Is my son ready?” The master of the house peeked through the door, finding the boy ready as he’ll ever be.

“Just about, dad.”

“Oh my.” Sombra whistled impressively as he walked in and scanned the boy from head to toe. “Very regal. I must say you look quite dashing. It was worth getting that new suit for you. You kind of remind me of me when I was your age.”

“Really?” Flash gave an I-don’t-believe-you tone as he fixed his tie once more loosening its grip on his Adam’s Apple. “Did your old self ever found a way to hold his breath for hours?”

“No. But I was quite the ladies’ man.” He chuckled softly, reaching for the boy’s collar and fixing it. “This was before I met your mother of course. Ah… the hearts I broke when I left for college. It was really dramatic.”

“Yeah right.”

“I’m serious.” The older gentleman insisted. “My jawline was the stuff of legends back in school. Half of them were fond of me, and the other half were jealous of me. I was so popular, those that loved me were called… Sombies.”

“Sombies?” Flash smirked with one brow raised.

“Yes. You know? Like… zomb…”

“I get it, dad.”

“Ah… of course.” Sombra coughed into his hand with flushed cheeks. “Anyway. Like I said: I was a ladies’ man. And it seems you inherited that trait from me.” Ha! Sure dad. Whatever makes your ego flow. “Speaking of which… Edmund.”

“Sir.” The butler stood at attention.

“Can you go and hold the front entrance? Inform me when our guests have arrived.”

The butler nodded back with a professional bow and departed quietly, leaving the two alone in the room. Though it wasn’t obvious, Flash could tell that he just wanted to be alone with him.

The boy found his father staring at him, putting one hand over his cheek to take a better look. Something sparked over his soul which prompted a caring smile to cross his face

“You really do have your mother’s eyes.”

Flash raised a brow, confused. “Uh… Dad?”

“Sorry.” He let go. “I was just… remembering Sophie. I…” He gave out a pause just to sigh. “I know you never really knew her but… she’d be so proud if she saw you right now.”

The blue boy chuckled. “Yes dad. You said that like a million times now.”

“Well I guess this makes it a million and one.” He snorted which in turn grew to a full blown laugh that he shared with his son. “You should’ve seen her son. Your mother was the most beautiful lady this world has ever seen. She was always the star that shined both day and night. A jewel in the desert. A Radiant…”

“I get it. She’s pretty.” Flash rolled his eyes much to his father’s embarrassment.

“Yes. Very much so.” He coughed into his fist. “It’s a wonder why we don’t talk about your mother more often.”

“Well… I didn’t know mom at all.” The boy pointed out. “Besides, you didn’t want to talk about her either.”

“I didn’t? That doesn’t sound like me.”

“Don’t you remember? Before you went to Saddle Arabia, I finally had the courage to ask you. I… asked about mom one time. But you didn’t want to say anything.” Flash looked away, recalling some bad memories. “You got upset and curled up in your shell. You hardly even looked at me after that.”

“Oh…” Sombra turned away, though he didn’t quite remember it. “I see. I’m… sorry son.”

“Meh. It was years ago. I’m over it.” The little boy shrugged hiding away the pain in his hand. “But yeah. After that, I never brought mom up again. I… didn’t want to see you upset like that.”

“Flash… I…” Sombra grumbled, rubbing the side of his neck. He felt like an idiot. “I didn’t mean to be like that. You must understand that… I was… heartbroken. Losing your mother was perhaps the most painful thing that ever happened to me. I never spoke about her to anyone after she passed away. It was simply… too much for me.”

“Yeah… I get it.”

“It took me some time to finally move on with my life. And… I hope I can make it up to you.”

“Does this mean I can skip dinner?”

“No.” He answered almost too quickly, like he anticipated it. “But nice try there, son.”

“Dang it. Can I at least take one button off this suit? It’s choking me.”

“Hmm. I suppose one button will do. But just one.” They shared a short laugh together which brought them closer – or at least they hoped so. “Anyway. There’s a reason why I brought your mother up. I wanted to give you this.” He pulled out a small finely decorated box from his pocket. Inside he revealed a beautifully crafted pin with four silver wings surrounding a blue gemstone.

“Whoa… nice.”

“I thought it was high time you had this. Your mother gave it to me during our honeymoon. We went scuba diving at the Great Ocean and came across a magnificent cave system. Inside we found a formation of corals surrounding a small crystal. She took it and made it into something beautiful.” He laughed. “I think that’s where my desire for archeology started. Anyway, Sophie said that she enchanted this gem with a magical spell that is said to keep me from all harm. Though I find it difficult to believe in such ridiculous things such as magic.”

Yeah… magic… ridiculous. Cough cough…

“Dad. I couldn’t possibly…”

“Oh don’t be absurd.” Sombra scoffed, pushing the pin closer. “At the very least keep it. Maybe it would protect you.”

“But you said you don’t believe in magic.”

“Oh I don’t.” He gave a coy smirk as he attached the pin on his collar. “But it might believe in you.”

Flash turned around and inspected the new accessory on his suit. It wasn’t exactly his type of bling but he had to admit, it looked pretty cool. Maybe just cool enough to be on his jacket. Besides, it also looked mighty expensive.

“Thanks dad.”

Sombra gave out a rare smile. “Any time, son.” But then a knock on the door interrupted them.

“Sirs.” Edmund’s head poked in. “The Pie Family is here.”

“Ah… yes. Perfect.” He smiled. “Come along son. We have guests to greet.”

xxxxxxxxxx

Pinkie felt like a doll. A dressed up doll all pimped and pampered to the point of ridiculousness. With the amount of makeup Maud put on her and the clothes her mother had her wear, she swore she would make Rarity look plain in comparison. If you think you would hardly recognize her back during her first playdate, you'd hardly know that this was same Pinkie Pie you see in school.

Her hair was combed down to the last strand losing it puffiness and its natural ability to hide sweets, her attire was changed to a pink long dress that exposed her shoulder and hid her party socks. She opted for a puffy clown gloves at the very least but her mother denied even that.

The long drive to Uptown was harrowing at best. She was hoping to get some respite but her mother constantly berated her with questions and reminded her on her manners. This wasn’t going to be like one of her parties. This was a formal meeting with their great business partner and she needed to be at her best behavior.

That meant no loud noises, no yelling, to mind her steps at all times, and of course acting with poise and grace. Thankfully when they arrived, Pinkie was able to take her mind off the rules and turn her attention to the giant mansion in front of her.

Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy did not exaggerate at all when they said that Flash’s place was huge. It was a whole dang town! The garden outside was pretty much bigger than their house. The mansion alone was three stories high with a balcony overlooking the entrance. Servants flanked the steps of the door all looking fresh, like they hadn’t worked a single hour all night.

Oh god. It was the Huffs and Hooves all over again! Except on a grander scale. A much much grander scale.

Her mother’s eyes reflected on the rearview mirror. “Pinkamena. Stand up straight darling. Your slouching posture will wrinkle your clothes.” She groaned but complied nonetheless. She was already here. May as well go all the way and bring out Eiknip. “Try to look proper dear. You want to impress your friend.”

“Yes mom.”

“And did you bring the thing I asked you to?”

“Got it right here.” She patted her sling bag pocket carefully.

Three servants later approached their vehicle and gracefully opened the door for them, another leading her mother by the hand in crisp and precise manner. Like they’ve been trained to do so all their lives. They didn’t speak, and everyone knew what they were all doing. They were then led up the marbled steps and through the gilded door which opened in a grand manner revealing the world of the wealthy.

Pinkie’s eyes sparkled reflecting the gleam from every furniture. Several lamp lights illuminated the whole room burning out all the shadows in the world. Everything here looked downright expensive. Even the carpet felt like it was worth its weight in gold.

“Igneous, old fellow!” The master of the house arrived not a moment later to greet them, shaking hands with her father like an old friend. “So good of you to make it. I hope the traffic wasn’t much trouble, old friend.”

“Neither roadblock nor tremor can hold me back. But may providence favor thee well and to thou comfort your homestead bring.”

“Back at you too, old chum.” Yeah… her family can be very old school. But thankfully Sombra didn’t seem to mind. “And Cloudy Quartz. You’re looking as gorgeous as always. It seems obvious now that your daughters have inherited all of your charms.” Her mother chuckled and blushed. A rare sight of emotions coming from her.

They colluded through small talk while the servants came by to take their jackets away. She didn’t bother listening as her eyes scanned around the room looking for something else entirely.

Or… someone else for that matter.

“Hey there.” A finger tapped her shoulder causing her to whip her head around to meet with the blue haired heir to the estate. “Looking for me?”

“Flash!” She smacked her mouth her shut when she nearly reverted back to her original tone. “I mean… hey. Nice to uh… meet you?” That came out like a question than a statement.

He laughed. “Right back at ya. I take it your folks convinced you to come here?”

She didn’t bother hiding it. It was pretty obvious seeing how she openly hates her attire. “Yeah. I told them I didn’t want to. But you know how they are. My parents can be pretty assertive. Trying to say no to them is like trying to stop a buffalo stampede without Fluttershy.”

“Yeah. My dad was also pretty sly when he got me to agree to this.” Flash smiled sweetly back at her. “You look great by the way.”

Her face grew one or two shades pinker than normal. “Oh uh… thanks. You too.” Come on Pinkie. Get it together! Why are you getting so flustered for? It’s not like you haven’t seen the guy in a suit. Just because he’s downright handsome and sweeter than sugar, doesn’t mean you should be fawning over him. What do you think would happen if people found out about this? What if your friends find out? Or worse yet… Sunset!?

Oh the cringe and awkwardness you have to suffer the rest of your life. The deadpan stares, the dodging of questions. It’ll be unbearable!

“Pinkamena.” Her father called out to her. She hated it when people use her lengthened name. “Don’t forget your manners.”

She rolled her eyes again with a sigh. Slowly she gave a simple gesture of a bow reciting a line that her parents drilled into her. “It is an honor and a privilege to be a guest of this household, Sir and Young Sir. We hope that this meeting shall take root and bear fruit in days to come.” Ugh… speaking like the olden colonials felt weird. She was glad that they finally changed to simple ‘Hi’s and ‘Helloes’.

Flash obviously stifled his laugh but that smile of his showed it all.

Ugh… someone give me a poison cupcake and just kill me now.

“Let’s move on to the dining room, shall we?” Sombra offered to which they all accepted.

And dinner played on like she expected. It was super fancy, super delicious and super restricted. The food was like nothing she had ever seen before. Unlike those that she saw in the Huffs and Hooves, these looked like food fit for kings! There were imported kobe beef, lobsters, a whole turkey and a salad so green, the grass outside may as well be gray. And don’t even get her started on the desert and Hors d'oeuvre. The flan literally melted in her mouth, and the churros!? It was a darn Ark of the culinary arts!

She would’ve gladly gobble it down and lick her plate clean of any leftover like the Pinkie Pie that she was, but her mother kept one eye on her the whole time. It gave out a message, threatening her with an unsavory punishment should she make one error. So she had to eat… like a ‘Proper’ lady befitting her station, taking small teeny tiny bites from her utensils and sipping from her glass with one pinkie sticking out.

It was technically torture at this point.

The only consolation she had was of course, Flash. Thankfully the two of them were seated far away from the adults on the overcompensatingly long table which gave them some measure of privacy, though still in full view of their parents. He was thankfully very open about the whole thing and treated her just like he did back in the Huffs and Hooves. They traded jokes, gossips amongst their friends and passed the time with a little chit chat. Though to be completely honest, it was mostly just her fumbling and trying to keep a straight face.

“So wait…” Flash paused their recent conversation as he jerked back. “You’re telling me that the night that we went out together really was your first actual date?”

“Yup.” She nodded proudly like it was a badge to hold. “My first actual date with another guy. Never really had a reason to do that until mom and dad decided to force it on me.”

“Wow… that is a surprise. Sorry.”

Pinkie waved it off quickly. “Oh. No. It’s no biggie, really. It’s not like I had people lining up to ask me out or anything.”

The boy nodded. “Fair enough. Still… I think your first date should’ve been special. You should’ve gone out with someone you actually liked. Instead you got me.”

Pinkie gave a non-caring shrug. “Meh. I don’t mind. It’ll be a good reference to go on. Not to sound braggy and all, but you kinda set the bar a little too high for all my future dates. I mean… you literally took me out to one of the fanciest place in Canterlot, with food I could hardly pronounce and a whole mess of fun shows to boot.”

“Are you talking about the music or the part where the waiters spilled spaghetti all over themselves?”

“Yes.” She smiled softly before they snorted out a laugh. “I mean it’s gonna take a lot of effort to top that. And besides, dating you wasn’t so bad. I mean… I had totes fun.” And that was the truth. She really did have a lot of fun. Surprisingly so. “So… yeah. I got zero regrets going on our first date. And… honestly, I wouldn’t mind going for another one.”

“What?”

“What?” Pinkie blinked hiding her blush. “Anyway! Umm… nice house.”

“Oh… uh… thanks?”

“Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy told us all about it. They said you had a giant aviary here. That… among other things. Like a movie house, giant pool, movie house, a ginormous kitchen, movie house, a wide maze garden, movie house.”

Oh yeah. He could take a hint. “I’m guessing you want to see our record room?”

“Can I?” She beamed giddily but quickly reverted back to her quiet tone when her mother’s razor sharp glare pierced the space between them. “I uh… I mean if it’s not too much trouble.”

He seemed more than happy to show her. “Not at all. As a matter of fact, you just gave me an idea.” Flash then rose from his seat coughing into his hand. “Hey dad. You mind if I show Pinkie around the house?”

Sombra’s smile brightened. “Why, that’s an excellent suggestion son. Igneous and I were just about to start our business discussion. I’m sure the two of you will find our meeting quite boring anyway. You don’t mind, do you, old friend?” Her parents quietly nodded back in reply. “Splendid. Enjoy yourself Pinkie. The house is free game.”

With that, Flash casually extended his arm over to Pinkie, a smug grin mustering on her face. “Shall we go, milady?”

“Lead the way, Flashie.” She giggled.

And just like that they were out of the dining room and away from her mother’s soul piercing eyes. She could finally breathe and stop watching her every move.

“Ugh… finally. I thought I was going to die in there.” She paused for a moment before correcting. “From my mom’s glare obviously. The food was great.”

“I’m glad you like it.” He smiled, continuing to lead her through the many corridors of his home. “I’m guessing Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy told you all about my place.”

“Oh just the good stuff.” She answered, looking upward. “You know – the pool, the aviary, and the big movie theater you have hidden in your house. Fluttershy was really into the aviary part.” And with good reason too. If half of what she heard from that animal loving lass, his birdhouse may as well be a bird motel. Heck she already picture those weary feathery folk dropping by in their suits and dresses ringing the bell and checking into the room dropping a few bird seeds as a new type of currency.

“I’m sure she’s exaggerating.” He waved it off. “But now that we’re finally out and away from that droll, you wanna get a real party going?”

“Oh?” Pinkie looked at him with anticipation building up. “What did you have in mind?”

“Oh just a few things.” The boy snapped his finger which promptly summoned his favorite butler who appeared from thin air. “Edmund. Is everything ready?”

“Just about, sir.” The older gentleman nodded as they stopped at a large double door which screamed fancy. With a soft heave, he opened it revealing a giant ballroom that was big enough to fit all the students in CHS and Crystal Prep for one gigantic party. And once inside… her jaw dropped. “Everything has been arranged prior to your specifications: Balloons formed into animals or bizarre objects, random dance number music from the 20th century and… a cake the shape of a ‘Toothless’ alligator.”

Gummy!?

Pinkie’s eyes literally zoomed in at the said cake. And to the butler’s words, that double layered chocolate cake was indeed shaped like her pet alligator riding atop a fudge mountain. It was absolutely breathtakingly glorious! She would’ve preferred if they added a strawberry ice cream version of her riding on his back wielding a chocolate fountain. But she’ll take it.

“I figured you wouldn’t go all out in that dinner so I had Edmund arrange this for you.”

She looked at him, then the butler, then everything around her. “All this… for me?”

It was a party for two. A grand party for two.

“I figured if you and I were ever going to party I’d prefer we partied, Pinkie style.” He gave out a sly wink as Edmund approached them with a tray revealing a berry blasted butter biscuit on a bun with… wait…… one two… five layers!?

“Five and a half, actually.” The butler corrected like he knew what she thinking.

“Gasp! Are you reading my mind right now!? Are you secretly a fairy that can literally do anything!?” He didn’t answer, instead slicing the bun for her and letting the smell explode on her face. It was gastronomy at its highest form. Her legs wobbled weakly as she accepted the tray, her mouth practically drooling in buckets. Hesitantly she reached for the fork, the pointy ends sinking into the bun like butter before nibbling it by the edges. “Mbrrwlll!”

“Pinkie?”

A grenade of flavor exploded in her mouth. The taste and texture combined with the aroma that blew out of the bun mixed together created a sense of euphoria. If she were to die right now, she would die with a blissful smile on her face.

“This… is gonna be… the best… party… EVERRRRRRR!!!”

With a gleeful yell, the girl gladly jumped into the room, dragging her date along with her, glancing at all the tasty treats with eyes gleaming like gold. The smile on her face widened and her hair reverted back to its puffy-self, defying all the laws of nature.

From there on the whole thing acted out like he planned. They’d gobble up whatever food they had on the table, waltz by the dance floor, and even redecorated the Gummy cake. Her smile widened even more as she did all those activities with the boy by her side. A mixture of emotions burst inside of her creating a zone of bliss in her heart. That feeling then reached a tipping point, which caused her body to glitter and glow, like magic was leaking out of her body. Her pony ears and tails formed, which made her even more stunning than before.

She dropped to the nearby sofa an hour later feeling like she just let out days’ worth of steam.

“Best grub… ever.” She admitted lowly, a wide grin plastered on her face as she stuffed another cake in her mouth. “It’s just too bad there’s only two of us. If we brought our friends here, we can have a true and proper party.”

“You think so?”

“Duh! Have you seen the size of this ballroom? The dance floor is literally bigger than our school gym.” It really was – and he knew that too. “You got food, you got props, and you got your own butler who can literally do anything!” She gestured to the man himself who smiled professionally when he was mentioned. “Trust me. If you bring everyone here, it’ll be the talk of the town. Guaranteed!”

The boy’s smile faded on that last bit. “Yeah… I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“Why not?”

“I’d prefer if folks didn’t know of my… real history. When people know that you’re richer than your average Joe, they tend to treat you differently. I’d rather be known as the cool kid next door or the rocker guy that plays in his parent’s garage.”

Pinkie nodded while shoving another slice of the bun in her mouth. “I dunno about you. But rich Flashie doesn’t seem too bad to me.”

“Heh. That’s because you know the real me. And I like to keep that group exclusively small. If you know what I mean.”

“Not really big on people knowing you?”

“Let’s just say that when folks know that you’re richer than your classmates, they tend to treat you differently.”

The fluffy haired gal shrugged. “I dunno. Sounds kinda like a wasted opportunity.” She eyed the venue, already picturing where she could put everything and everyone. The DJ could be on the balcony overlooking the dance floor micromanaging the light show. Add a few fog machines here and there and convert that giant chandelier to a disco ball and you’ll practically turn this place into a beacon so bright that it’ll outdo the moon. But her thoughts were quickly interrupted when her phone buzzed with a reminder popping on screen. “Oh! And speaking of opportunities, it’s almost time!”

“Time for?”

“Rarity’s pageant show! It’s supposed to be on, right now!” She glanced around for a television. “Quick! Which is the closest room with a TV?”

Flash shrugged. “Well… all of them actually.”

Pinkie immediately stopped prancing around, turning to him with another bewildered expression. “Seriously?”

“Seriously.” He nodded. “But don’t worry. I got you covered.” He then clapped his hand twice which echoed throughout the ballroom.

And then suddenly, like they were summoned on command, the butler opened the door allowing a number of servants enter who quickly setup a large screen TV in the middle of the room. All the gadgets and wiring were all neatly done with little to no hassle at all. They even added a nice comfortable couch right in front of it for their viewing pleasure.

Yeesh… what a demonstration of wealth. If this is what it’s like to be rich then Pinkie can somewhat understand what Filthy Rich goes through every day. Having money is awesome!

They quickly hopped down on the couch and flipped the remote on finding the channel quickly enough.

(Hoity Toity Trendsetter) (Amphitheater)

Ok. This is it Rarity. The moment of truth. No need to be afraid. You are in complete control. This is your big break. A victory here means another step closer to the grand prize! You’ve fought, you’ve screamed and clawed your way here. And it will take a world changing apocalypse to move her from this spot.

Quietly she glanced over to her lineup. The models that Hoity Toity provided were absolutely fabulous. Each and every one of them handpicked from the finest pedigree in Canterlot. They were gorgeous and had all the right looks for her dresses.

But yet despite all the preparations, she can’t help but feel a little intimidated by the competition. While the number of candidates here have dwindled since they first arrived, for one reason or another, those that remained only proved that they were just as tenacious as she was. Those that formed partners and alliances all huddled together like packs of hyenas waiting for someone to slip up. The tension in the backstage alone was suffocating.

“What are you looking at!?” She heard one of them scream at a fellow competitor like a guard dog barking at a stranger. “Stick to your own side!”

“I go where I want!”

“Then go somewhere else!” They bickered back and forth for a while. Thankfully the music outside masked their voices so there would be no risk of words or scandals getting out. Everyone knows that when there are no cameras or journalists around, everyone here was free game. You had a private face, and a face for the masses.

“Look at them.” Vignette scoffed, walking up to Rarity’s side, arms folding and holding a mean scowl. “Animals. Every last one of them. They all think they have a chance against us. They’re all in for a surprise when we swoop in to take the competition.”

“Indeed.” Rarity bobbed her head in agreement not taking her eyes off any of them. “But you have to admit. Some of these are actually quite impressive. Especially that crown-filled two-piece. Very inspiring.”

“Oh please. None of them hold a candle up to us.” The fellow fashionista didn’t even bother. “Don’t you remember what Hoity said about your first dress? He was absolutely infatuated with it. Surprisingly so.”

Yes… now that she mentioned it, it is strange. The dress she made inspired by Yaztec culture had Hoity’s attention. It was like he was drawn to it.

Sure it was one of her best work but such things normally came with more… constructive criticism.

“Yes, that is strange.”

“Trust me Rarity. We got this in the bag. You and I are already set to be in the Grand Runway at Las Pegasus. Everything that we’re doing now is simply just formality at this point.” She unconsciously added while sneering at another passerby. “I knew partnering up with you was a good idea. We’ll ride this popularity contest all the way to the top.”

Their attention was drawn out when they noted the lights dimming signaling the beginning of the show.

“Ladies and gentlemen. Young and old.” The narrator began with a booming voice over the speakers. “Give a warm welcome to our host. The one. The only: Hoity Toity!” An applause followed afterward with whistling and cheer in the background.

Quietly Rarity took a peek from the curtains seeing the man, the legend himself, walk up to the stage in one of his glorious original attire. For a man his age, he looked pretty spry. Those muscles on his arms weren’t easy to hone. He certainly looked the part of the famous fashion designer.

“Oh my.” Vignette gasped, amused by the man’s showmanship. He gave out a greeting, smiling professionally to the cameras like he had done a thousand times before. “He’s wearing that one of a kind Trendsetter original. Very dashing.”

“Indeed.” Rarity nodded back in agreement, inching curtains ever so slightly to get a better look. “I don’t I’ve seen that design since he and Fancy Pants split up.”

“And those accessories simply match them. The earrings, the shades and that black gem bracelet of his are to be adored.”

Black gem?

Rarity’s smile dropped as she squinted to get a better view.

No… it couldn’t be.

Her eyes zoomed at the man’s wrist. She never saw it before. Mostly because Hoity often wore long sleeves and baggy clothes. But… there was simply no mistaking it.

Adorned on his wrist was a thinly veiled bracelet. And attached to it was a dark gemstone akin to that of the one they took from Cinch.

Author's Note:

And our double chapter whammie is complete! This week's scenario is done. Gonna have to wait for next Tuesday for the next one. This is definitely one of my fav chapters because it depicts Flash's house. I always picture it like the Wayne Manor but less gothic.

Well, stay tuned for next week for an even awesomer chapter! :derpytongue2:

PreviousChapters Next