• Published 10th Nov 2019
  • 5,197 Views, 843 Comments

Equestria Girls: Love Is Magic - onekface



A new enemy threatens Sunset's new home. It craves magic and it craves all who has it. She and her friends must rise to face it. But they can't do it alone. Flash x Mane 7

  • ...
19
 843
 5,197

PreviousChapters Next
Hostile Negotiations

Chapter 57: Hostile Negotiations

(CHS)

Sunset let out a sigh as she walked down the familiar corridors of her school. It was hard to believe, that it’s only been weeks since she last came through here after everything that has happened. Even more so when school would be starting again tomorrow.

To think that this’ll be the last semester she’ll be attending CHS. It feels so surreal. You’d think she dropped by the portal just yesterday and figuring out how to walk on her own two feet. And then there was that time she turned everyone into zombies, how she became friends with everyone, and all the magical mayhem that followed afterward? Gosh how time flies. After the next three months she and the rest of her peers will be graduating and moving to their own lives. And she’ll be…

She’ll be…

“Sunset? Hello?” Twilight waved her hand in front of her bringing her out of her daze. “Are you in there?”

“Huh? Oh. Sorry Twilight. I was deep in thought. Uh… what were we talking about?”

“You were telling me what a disaster the royal coronation was.” She reminded. “Something about alligators on firework duty, apple tartar, and something about doves and yaks?”

“Right right.” Man. She must be out of it if she left her best friend hanging on such a story. “What a mess that was.”

“I still can’t believe that you spent your New Year in Equestria, to attend a royal event.” Sci-Twi chuckled, though part of her did sound somewhat interested. “It must’ve been amazing.”

“That’s uh… one way to describe it.” Though mostly it was just one disaster after another. “But what about you? I heard from the others that you went on a week-long-date with Timber in a private cabin for two.” She teased though strangely it didn’t garner much of a reaction from the nerd gal.

“Eh. It was ok. We watched the Winter Solstice together. So it was… mildly interesting.” Mildly interesting? That didn’t sound like a proper date. In fact she sounded rather bored. “Oh but we did watch a firework display by the fairgrounds. That was… more interesting.”

“Sounds like you two are hitting it off.” Twilight didn’t respond. Though Sunset did catch a glimpse of her cheeks turning red for a second there. “Oooh. Sounds like someone had a great time together.”

“Oh stop it. And it’s nothing like that.” She brushed the side of her hair cutely, holding back a smile that threatened to spread towards both ends of her cheeks. “It was just a casual get together. Besides we weren’t alone. We met up with Rainbow Dash and…”

“And?”

“Uh… just a friend.” A strange thing to say but Sunset didn’t press it. Either way it seemed like Twilight and Timber had a great time. A good enough time that she was embarrassed to talk about it. Best to leave her alone for now. Wait till the time is right and gather all their friends together before drilling her for some details.

“Speaking of hitting it off.” Sunset added turning towards the empty hall. “Do you know why Principal Celestia asked us to come to school early today? School doesn’t start until tomorrow.”

“She said something about a career aptitude evaluation test. Apparently the school got a new guidance counselor who wants to help future graduates find their place in the world.”

Sunset’s eyes lit up as if struck by lightning. “Really? They do that?”

“Yup. Crystal Prep has one too. Though the teacher there just gives them pointers on finding a job that fits the students’ skillset. Most of the students there already know what they want to be so it’s not really much of a position. But there are some who needs a little advice every now and then.”

“That sounds… pretty good actually.”

“I know, right? And from what I heard from Vice-Principal Luna: This guy is well connected to various academic circles. I was hoping to get him to suggest a few grants I could go over. Think of the possibilities.”

“But aren’t these done like… one at a time? Starlight was a guidance counselor back in her school and she told me that these kinds of meeting are done privately.”

“Meh. It’s probably a rush job.” Twilight reasoned. “I mean this is the first guidance counselor this school ever had and there are a lot of graduates to go through so he might be passing things along. Besides, it’d be nice to know our options for the future. Don’t you agree?”

I suppose so. Sunset still wasn’t even sure what she would do after she graduates. Where was she to even go once she gets her diploma?

No way could she afford college like Twilight.

Maybe a scholarship?

Or maybe she could try another vocation.

Eh… she’ll just have to try her luck with this new teacher instead and see what’s available for a girl like her.

“Oh! This is it.” Twilight pointed to a room that had a new door with the plaque saying ‘Guidance Counselor Office’ strapped on the foggy glassed window and below that was another plaque saying: Professor Neighsay. It would’ve an ordinary visit had they not noticed the two girls approaching them from the opposite corridor. “And there’s… Applejack and Rarity?”

“Hey there you two.” The cowgirl greeted casually before turning a puzzled look. “Uh… wait. What are you guys doing here?”

Sunset shrugged but answered. “We’re here for our career aptitude test. What are you guys doing here?”

Rarity tilted her head, confused. “Principal Celestia called us. She said we needed to report in for our career aptitude test as well.”

“All four of us?” Twilight questioned. “At the same time?”

They glanced at one another, puzzled. And they would’ve argued had another three not decided to show up.

“Hey you guys!” Pinkie called out appearing from behind Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy. “Funny seeing you here. Seeing as we see each other almost every day as we practically live together now.”

Fluttershy raised a curious brow. “Are you here for your career aptitude test too?”

Ok this is weird. All seven of them called at the same time? Sunset believed in coincidences. It was the kind of thing that happens by accident. But this was definitely not one of them. What are the odds that every member of the Rainbooms would be called by the new guidance counselor for a meeting?

Something wasn’t right here. And she didn’t like it.

But before either of them could question this bizarre string of events, the door to the office creaked open grabbing their attention like a magnet.

Deep within the dark void, a low and haunting voice beckoned them. “Enter…” It said, which pretty much spooked Fluttershy into hiding.

The gang took worried looks at one another but decided to enter either way cautiously.

The room alone was dark. And the normal kind either. The walls were cold, and every little source of light felt drained and weakened. It was as if the sun itself did not shine its mighty rays on this spot fearing it might awaken something dangerous within.

And it wouldn’t be wrong either.

Sitting on the far side of the office, behind a large wooden table, was a man. Nay, a vampire in human form. Eyes forming like that of a predator, pale skin that hid its decay, a suit and tie depicting his all-business-manner, and a hairdo that can only be classified as sinister. All that was missing was a few lit candles and they’d call him a villain on the spot.

“Ah… you must be the Rainbooms.” He greeted casually enough though his voice felt chilling like a cold winter breeze. Even that smile he held didn’t even feel the least bit comforting. “Come in. I have been… expecting you.”

“Uh… ok?” Rainbow went in first as the rest filed in, wondering why this place was so cold.

“Please. Have a seat.” The older man gestured to the sofa and the two soft armchairs. “Can I get you ladies anything? Coffee?”

Uh…

“Oh oh oh! Do you have candies, cookies or cake?” Pinkie asked, to which many of them expected the man to be taken aback. Pinkie has been known to be somewhat aggressive when it came to meetings. But to their surprise the man simply stared, expression unmoving.

“I’m afraid we’re fresh out.” He then gestured again to the chairs to which the girls accepted reluctantly.

The sofa alone was freezing to the touch. So much so you’d think you were sitting on ice. You’d think that a guidance counselor’s office would be much more warm and welcoming when students are involved.

“Uh… I’m sorry.” Twilight scratched her head. “I’m not really familiar with the soft science. But isn’t counseling usually a private matter?”

The vampire on the table nodded. “Quite so Ms. Sparkle. Though as you can guess: This meeting of ours is no coincidence. I asked the Principal to schedule to you all to meet me. Though I have to admit the part for your career counseling may have been only an excuse. To be completely honest, I asked all of you to be here because I wish to have a discussion with the seven of you.”

Sunset cocked a curious brow. “A discussion for what?”

Neighsay gave a pause as if to give a moment to eye them. There was a strange look on his face which only made him more suspicious.

“Perhaps it’s best if we are all honest here.” He stood up and pulled his sleeve. And out came a bracelet with a black gemstone. “I take it you all know what this is?”

The girls remained on their seat…

… for about half a second.

(Timber’s apartment)

Timber huffed and puff on his chair, grumbling lowly to himself. You can see the wrinkles on his brow as they sharpened like daggers pointing over to a picture of himself and Twilight dancing over by the living room.

To say that he was in a foul mood would be an understatement. He was downright furious and it showed through his actions. The boy paced around the room, eyes flaring, unconsciously kicking anything that got in his way.

The date he had with Twilight was an absolute disaster. The girl was all smiles. Her eyes gleamed with joy and she had a laugh that would melt the coldest of hearts. But unfortunately none of them were for him.

Apparently she bumped into the rocker boy, Flash, who just so happens to be visiting the docks. Then she discovered that he was the one who rented out the entire gazebo at the viewing platform. And like the jerk that he was, he decided to invite them all to watch with him.

The whole thing pretty much dropped from there. The firework show was beautiful and Twilight looked even more stunning than ever. Only… for all the wrong reasons.

Suffice to say, Timber didn’t enjoy a second of it.

“Good morning~~!” Gloriosa came along in a singsong voice entering the apartment like she was the happiest girl alive. “Hey Timber.

“Hey sis…”

“Sorry to barge in. I just came to get some files for the camp.” She ruffled through the drawers, picking up a few folders lined within. It would’ve been a quick grab-and-go if she didn’t catch sight of a beautiful amulet placed right next to the table. “Oh wow. What’s this beautiful looking thing doing here?”

“Don’t touch that!” Timber nabbed it. “It’s… a gift for… someone.”

It wasn’t hard for Gloriosa to pick up on her brother’s irritated tone and foul mood. He was practically radiating venom at this point. That or maybe it was the state of the living room, which was pretty much in tatters. “Whoa. Someone’s having a rough start of the year. What’s got you all grumpy?”

“Nothing.” He said turning away.

Unconvincingly.

“Uh huh. Yeah… that doesn’t sound like nothing.” She casually approached him, putting the files away for a moment. “Come on. Tell me what’s wrong.”

“It’s nothing.” He insisted – again – unconvincingly.

“Yeah, your mouth says it’s nothing but everything else says that you woke up on the wrong side of the bed and stubbed your toe on a nail.” She grunted lowly before patting his back forcing him to turn to her. “Come on now. We might not be hanging out often but I can still hear your troubles. Besides, what are big sisters for?”

Timber sighed in submission. It’s not like he had anyone else to turn to for advice. And even if he kept silent, Gloriosa would just keep pestering him until he caves. She was kind of persistent that way. Besides, what was he to lose?

“It’s… Twilight.”

“Oh?” Her eyes lit up in realization. “Oh my. I see. You guys broke up?”

“What? No!”

“Oh thank goodness.” She let out a long winded breath. “For a moment there I thought we’d need to have a serious conversation. Phew! Dodged a bullet there, right? Hehehe… heh…” Her brother was not amused. “Ahem. Anyway. What’s this about Twilight? I thought you two had a great time at the camp.”

“We did!” He exclaimed, throwing his hands up in the air. “The whole thing was super romantic, just like you said. I had everything ready. We had the whole place to ourselves for days. We went skiing, we took a walk around the woods, taking a boat down the river, and I even took her to the rock quarry for a song and dance.”

“Wow. You guys must’ve had one heck of a weekend.” It was. It really was. “How did she take it?”

“She loved it, of course.”

“Then what’s the problem?”

“Well… around New Year’s eve I thought I’d take her to see the firework show by the docks.” He groaned, remembering all the details of that moment like it was his own nightmare going in slow-mo. “And that’s where things got… weird.”

“Weird how?”

“Well… there’s this guy, Flash Sentry. And… I think she’s into him.”

“Oh Timber.” Gloriosa cooed. “They’re probably just friends. Just because they’re close, doesn’t mean they’re into one another. It’s most likely your jealous instincts kicking in.”

“No it’s not. I know Twilight. And every time that guy comes around she has this… this… spark in her eyes. You can tell.”

“Are you sure?”

“Gloriosa!”

“Alright alright.” She waved her hands up defensively. “No need to be all huffy. So you really think this Flash guy is trying to steal Twilight away from you?”

Was he trying to steal Twilight? He wasn’t certain. But he was definitely sure that Twilight had some lingering attachment to him. Every time Flash was around them she’d have nothing but praise for the guy. And whenever he was brought up in a conversation, her face would beam up like a star.

“I don’t know.”

“Then why don’t you find out?” She stated which made him pause. “In these types of situations, the best course of action would be the direct one. Go out there and ask.”

“You make it sound so easy.”

“That’s because it is.” She quickly pulled up the folders she got and shuffled through the files. “This Flash boy goes to CHS like Twilight, right?” He nodded. “Well then we’re in luck because I happen to have his number right here.”

Timber blinked. “You have his phone number?”

“Everyone who comes to our camp needs to fill up our entry sheets and put in their emergency contacts. You’d know this if you actually paid attention to our orientations.” Her brother rolled his eyes in response. “And lucky for you, I keep a record of everyone from CHS.” She pulled a paper from the stack which held a headshot of the boy in question.

“You… really think this is a good idea?”

“A good idea? Maybe. But I know for sure that you can’t put this off forever. I don’t think the living room can handle another one of your frustrations.” She gestured to the room itself which looked pretty haggard from his constant beatings. “You’re cleaning this up, by the way.”

Reluctantly the boy nodded and took the document.

(CHS)

Sunset felt a sweat bead slip down her neck as she held a magic beam on her hand, eyes so focused that she could probably stop time itself. The tension in the room was thick enough to cut with a knife. It was an Appleoosa two-way standoff except with magic. The whole gang on one side while the Professor on the other.

The moment they say that gemstone dangle down on his wrist, the girls ponied-up and readied themselves for battle. Magic pulsed in the air though Neighsay looked more interested in their sprouting tails and ears than anything else. They would’ve attacked right away had the man not raise his hands up in surrender.

A pregnant silence lingered in the room, only to be broken by their enemy. “I suppose this was a natural reaction considering what you’ve been through.”

“Who are you?” Sunset demanded, keeping a good distance away from the man. “What do you want?”

Still the man remained unfazed. “I would very much like to tell you everything. But do you mind putting those away and…”

“Not a step closer bud.” Applejack warned, magical gloves forming around her hands. “I’ve wrangled cows and bulls before. And you won’t like it when I put your head down in the dirt.”

“That is a situation I’d rather avoid, if possible.” He shrugged stoically. “Ladies. Please. Let’s be civilize here. I can assure you that my intentions are purely diplomatic.”

“You can tell that to Hoity Toity and his goons.” Rarity snarled.

“I understand that you’re upset. And all of you here have more than justified reasons to do so. But if you’ll give me a chance to explain myself. I would be more than happy to cooperate.”

Rainbow Dash scoffed at his excuse. “Yeah right. You’re just waiting for us to drop out guard so you can mind control us!”

The man tilted his head, again in understanding. “I can see why you’d think that way. But if you give me a chance, I can explain everything. Besides, if I had any intention of harming you, I wouldn’t have brought all of you here at the same time.”

“He’s… not wrong.” Fluttershy whispered just loud enough for them to hear. “Maybe we should listen to what he has to say?”

Sunset took a glance at Twilight who also shared a look. They weren’t sure if they could trust this guy, but they’d much rather have this fight elsewhere than in school. If Principal Celestia found out about this battle, she’ll be livid.

“I say we drop him.” Applejack threw out her option, which the man didn’t seem all that threatened. “We got him outnumbered.”

Outnumbered – maybe. But they don’t know his abilities either. For all they know, this creepy pale face teacher could be even stronger than Hoity and Cinch.

“That is true.” Neighsay agreed much to their surprise. “The seven of you against me? I wouldn’t stand much of a chance. If we were to fight… you’d have the advantage.”

Or so he claims.

Twilight then motioned upward, giving a silent signal to her.

Sunset nodded back, lowering her arms. “Alright. We’ll talk.”

“Splendid. Then we…”

“But on one condition.” Twilight followed it up by tapping her wrist.

Picking up on the hint, Neighsay agreed and removed his magic bracelet and placed it on top of his table for all to see. He stepped back, keeping his hands raised, never letting his eyes off the girls.

Sunset couldn’t sense any other magical items on him. But that didn’t mean he couldn’t camouflage it from her unicorn senses. Still… that was a big favor to ask of him.

“Ok then.” Sunset ponied down along with Twilight while the rest remained on standby. “Talk.”

Satisfied with the result, Neighsay put his hands down showing what looked like the most sinister smile a man of his stature, could conjure.

“Before I start. Allow me to reintroduce myself.” He gave a mocking gesture of a bow like he was greeting them in a ballroom rather than a creepy office. “My name is Neighsay. I represent a low-key organization that…”

“The Order of the Black Stone.” Twilight interjected folding her arms.

Neighsay seemed surprised, which was perhaps the first reaction he genuinely showed. “You… know of us?”

“We have our sources.”

The man seemed taken aback. He probably didn’t expect the gang to know of their secret organization. His mind spun, wondering what else they knew.

“That is quite a surprise. I can see that we’ve clearly underestimated you.” Dang straight you did. “Very well then. I take it you have questions.” About a few hundred.

“First of all: Why are you here?” Sunset shot first, keeping him just in her sights.

“To negotiate.” He said plainly like it was the only answer available. “I am here on behalf of my Master and our organization. No doubt you’ve already met a few of my associates over the last few months. I came here hoping that we could help… ease the tension between us.”

“Good luck changing our minds.” Rainbow Dash added.

“So what?” Sunset snorted. “You came to say sorry or something?”

“Something like that. Though honestly I was hoping for something more.” Neighsay returned to his seat though he kept the gemstone at an arm’s length. “Your recent actions in Canterlot has been a subject of much debate in our organization. To be fair, we thought you nothing more than a group of children who came in possession of magic. When Professor Abacus told us of you, we considered you a nuisance and nothing more. We thought you to be beneath our notice.”

“If we were beneath your notice, then why’d you attack us?”

“I’m afraid Cinch was an entirely different reason. From what I heard she had ambitions of her own and a slight vendetta against you girls.” Neighsay stated though he seemed slightly disturbed by it. “Honestly you did my organization a favor in stopping her. We would’ve left you alone to your own devices even before then. But… unfortunately things changed.”

“Changed how?” Twilight squinted.

“Hoity Toity was instructed not to interact with you. In fact, we had no reason whatsoever to even speak with you. We were all content to leave you alone. But that all changed when Hoity told us that you were in possession of a Travel Stone.”

“Travel Stone?” The two girls looked at one another inquisitively.

“It’s the object that the Yaztec Shamans use to open portals to other worlds.” He must mean the portal stone. The thought alone clicked into their minds. “They are rare and very powerful magical artifacts capable of breaking the very laws of science. We covet them greatly and our organization spent much time and resources in search of them. So naturally when we heard that you had one of these in your possession… we had to act. Though I will plainly admit that my associate did not handle that situation as professionally as I would have it.”

“He burned down my apartment!” Along with everything she had. Her comic book collection, her video games, her clothes. Everything she acquired in all of her time here on this world.

“Yes. That was a blunder on his part.” The guidance counselor gave a somewhat apologetic tone. “He was only meant to scare you and recover the artifact… not… terrorize the whole neighborhood. I apologize for that. Rest assured, that he has been properly punished for his crimes and we will obliged to compensate you for any damage you may have suffered.”

That’s probably a start.

Bus is this guy really serious? Does he really expect them to believe that this whole thing was just some kind of misunderstanding? An accident?

“And what about that whole mind control thing?” Rainbow Dash threw in. “Your guy tried to take control of the whole city. How’d you explain that?”

Neighsay nodded, knowing well this question was coming up. “I’m afraid I cannot excuse the actions of my colleague. What he tried to do was a disgrace to us and our organization. Power often brings out the worst in people.” Heh… they can relate. “But I can offer my highest guarantee that Hoity does not represent our vested interest at the slightest.”

“I dunno.” Rainbow chimed. “Sounds like something a secret society would do.”

“I suppose that can be believable in this day and age.” He grunted. “Maintaining an organization as vast as ours can be quite difficult. There’s bound to be a few bad apples every now and then.” Applejack gave an annoyed ‘Hey’ but was ignored.

Yeah… sure. Like anyone would believe that. The gang collectively rolled their eyes at such an excuse.

“Girls. I understand that there is little I can say that can make you trust me. But I can assure you: We are not your enemies.” He gave a pause, resting on his seat. “The Order of the Black Stone is dedicated to the study magic for the benefit of all mankind. We have no interest in worldly politics or wealth or controlling people to do our biddings. Throughout the generations, our organization has made great strides in collecting magical artifacts as well as researching their functions. For many years we thought ourselves to be the only ones who knew of its existence. Yet here you are. Seven youngsters with enough skill and power to go against even our most skilled sorcerers.” Another pause. “To say that we’re shocked… is quite an understatement.”

The girls looked at one another, not really sure on how to respond. It sounded like he was praising them and vilifying them at the same time.

Thankfully Twilight decided to reign in the conversation. “Ok… Professor Neighsay. Let’s say for a moment we actually believe that you and your… secret club… are what you say you are. What does that have to do with us?”

He smiled, pleased that someone in the group had some sense.

“You recent actions has caught the attention of my master.” He began. “And naturally your abilities to acquire magical items has earned our interest. Which is why I’ve come to extend an offer for our cooperation.”

…!

“Cooperation?”

“You want us to work together?” Twilight clarified to which he nodded.

“Correct. With our resources and your knowledge of magic, we can achieve great things together.” He was serious. “What do you say? With your resumes, I’m certain you will perform outstanding feats.”

Ok, now they were just confused. First he lures them in for a secret meeting, apologizes for his colleagues, tries to convince them that his people aren’t as bad as they though, now he wants them to join up and sing along together like nothing happened?

“Yeah right!” Rainbow Dash bellowed. “Why in the world would we want to work with you guys?”

“Aside from the fact that you’ll have access to our vast resources and connections? You’ll have a greater understanding of magic itself. And if you’ll give me the chance, I’m sure I can convince you that our organization isn’t some villainous order hell bent on taking over the world.”

The gang didn’t respond – or perhaps it was more like they didn’t know how to respond. The last few months battling this unknown enemy has pretty much solidified their position. They were hurt and paranoid of retaliation. And to find one of them just showing up out of nowhere wasn’t exactly improving their opinions either.

Sunset wasn’t a gambling pony, but she was willing to bet no one here would take that offer.

“I don’t think we’re ready to be a part of anything just yet.” Twilight took the diplomatic approach. “You mind if we discuss it over for a while?”

“Of course.” Neighsay said readily, reaching for his drawer. “I understand that this is a life changing moment for you. Such decisions cannot be rushed. And as a gesture of good faith, I offer this in return.”

The gang recoiled at his so called ‘gift’. While its cracked remains were obvious to see, Sunset could never forget that little rock. The small object that pulsed with a hint of magic was something that was ingrained in her mind… so to speak.

“The Memory Stone.” Applejack gasped thinking for a second he was about to use it against them. But instead he handed it over like it was tribute.

Sunset clutched the cracked rock, holding it carefully like it was some fragile Faberge egg.

They would later file out of the room together, leaving the pale man behind.

xxxxxxxxxx

“We’re not seriously believing a thing he said, right?” Rainbow Dash asked abruptly the moment she was sure that they were out of earshot. The gang collectively agreed.

“That goes without saying.” Sunset motioned. “He’s definitely up to something.”

“The better question would be: How do we get rid of him?” Rarity offered. “I don’t think I can handle four months of school while he’s here.”

Fluttershy naturally agreed. “He did have that creepy look about him.”

“I say we go back in there and whack him! We got him outnumbered!”

“Now hold on Rainbow.” Twilight interjected calming the gang before they went on a rant. “Let’s not be too hasty. I don’t think he has any bad intentions.”

“Oh come on Twilight.” RD protested, which was to be expected. “Don’t tell me you’re actually buying his lame excuses. Didn’t you see him or his office? That whole place was practically screaming evil lair!” It totally did. The ambience, the furniture, the cold? All that was missing was a shark pit to throw heroes down when they invade.

“That place definitely gave me the willies.” AJ shivered at the thought. “And here I thought Goldies’ place was cold. If we’re gonna bust in there like a bunch of bandits, I’m all for it.”

“Guys. Come on.” Again Twilight tried to diffuse them. “Look. I know that we’ve all had our problems with these people. But… I think we should give Neighsay the benefit of the doubt.” They all gasped at her. “Just hear me out. If he wanted to hurt any of us. Do you really think he’d call of us over and reveal himself to us?”

That was… somewhat true. Neighsay had the element of surprise on his side. If he wanted to brainwash them like Hoity, he wouldn’t bother inviting them altogether or reveal his black gemstone – or give away the Memory Stone to boot. But still… the girls were rather pent up as it was, expecting the Order to retaliate in some manner. If he was working on an angle, then they certainly couldn’t see it.

Sunset decided to give her a shot. “So what do you think we should do? School starts tomorrow.”

“We need to find out why he’s really here. Someone needs to keep tabs on him. If he does something suspicious, we’ll know immediately.”

“Oh! I’ll do it!” Pinkie volunteered. “I can be a great spy. I once stalked Rarity for 48 hours straight without her knowing.”

“Eh… excuse me?” The fashionista’s inquiry was left ignored.

“Sorry. But I don’t that’ll work.” Twilight shook her head. “He knows us. And he’ll definitely be keeping a lookout for us in particular. We need someone else. Someone who can watch over him without giving away their true intentions. Someone who isn’t afraid of any danger, and has the guts to take risk.”

“Who would willingly do that?”

(House by the hill)

“I’ll do it!”

Sunset blinked, suddenly caught by shock that froze her whole body in place.

“Really?” Twilight asked, expectantly.

Luna nodded. Having heard the short version of the story already, Sunset expected some kind of inquiry or questioning. But nope. She was surprisingly cooperative and seemed more than ready to throw herself into the lion’s den.

“Of course!” The woman exclaimed, hand pumping in the air. “I promised that I would help you girls in your endeavors and this is my chance to keep that word. Besides, I knew that Neighsay fellow was up to no good the moment I laid my eyes on him. If he thinks he can sneak into my school and bring his magical mayhem, then he has another thing coming. I’ll make his life in school as miserable as I can.”

“That’s… great?” Sunset gawked. “Sorry about all of this. I know that we’re not supposed to bring magic to school but…”

“Don’t apologize. It’s not your fault that this Neighsay invited himself to our neck of the woods. Though it does have me concerned about our school safety. And Celestia would be livid if she found out.”

“Can’t you just fire the guy?” Rainbow Dash suggested. “If we know he’s bad. We can just throw him the slip and he’ll be gone, right?”

“Eh… I’m afraid it’s not that simple. Faculty is Celestia’s department and we’ll need a plausible reason for his termination. But even if we had all of those, we can’t. He was sent here by the Board of Education, meaning he’s pretty much untouchable until he gets a notice from the board itself. I could probably put a petition for him to be removed, but that might take a while. The worst I could possibly do to him at the moment is perhaps give him bad coffee or ask Granny Smith to put extra hot chili pepper on his food.”

“I don’t think that’ll be necessary.” Twilight waved it off. “We just need someone to keep an eye on him. Make sure he doesn’t do anything out of the ordinary.”

Sunset nodded in agreement. “But we don’t know what his abilities are. For all we know, he might have another way of mind controlling people.”

“Oh I wouldn’t worry about that.” Luna reassured them. “My intelligence stats are about above average, and he’ll need to speech-check me twice if he intends to take over my mind.” The two girls stared at her confusingly, to which she responded with an awkward forced cough. “Uh… sorry about that. I’ve been reading Ogres & Oubliettes these last few days. It’s actually quite fascinating.”

“Well… I don’t know much about that, but you won’t have to worry about him.” Twilight then quickly produced one of the black gemstone bracelets from her pockets. “This medium is what they use to cast their spells. As long as you have this on you, you’ll be protected from whatever magic he used against you. Or… at least to a certain extent. Just make sure he doesn’t see it so he won’t suspect a thing.”

“Are you sure you can do this Vice-Principal Luna? It might be dangerous.”

“Please.” Luna waved it off cockily. “I didn’t through two years of martial arts training without learning a thing or two about self-defense. Hiya!” She then threw a few punch and kicks as a demonstration only to fumble and smack an expensive looking vase off its stool which thankfully Twilight caught it with her magic. “Aheh… I might need a refresher course. But I assure you that you can count on me. As long as I’m around, no one will be making a mockery of CHS! Both magical and non-magical.”

(Flash’s House)

School starts again tomorrow.

Flash couldn’t believe it but his last semester in CHS was coming and he wasn’t really sure how to feel about it.

On one hand, he gets to graduate. But at the same time that would also mean he won’t be seeing much of his friends like he’d normally do. Especially his band mates. In three months’ time, the Flash Drive crew will officially split and disband. Drum Roll got himself a gig with another band that’ll be traveling half way across the country, Bass Keys will be heading to Neighgeria for some soul searching (Whatever that means), and Sandalwood will be running his family flower shop in midtown. They’ll be so busy with their own lives that it’ll be a miracle if they could even get together again.

And as for him? What will he do?

Get a job?

He’s already got everything he could ever need right here and it doesn’t look like dad will be running short on cash any time soon. In fact, if anything, he has too much of it. You could probably sell less than half the stuff he has in the garage and you’d have more than enough to live comfortably for the rest of your life.

Maybe he could go solo with his music.

No. It’s just wouldn’t be the same without the guys.

Perhaps he could apply for college?

Ha! No way.

Ugh… maybe he can ask his dad on what to do in the future.

*Woof*

"What's the matter buddy?" He turned over to his little mutt. "Need a belly rub?" Whether it actually understood or not, Bananas quickly hopped to his side and turned on its stomach. "Heh. I'm gonna take that as a yes." He chuckled lowly before rubbing the little guy gently, earning a satisfied whimper. "Eh. You're just as spoiled as I am you little - OW!"

He quickly retracted his hand when he felt a jolt of pain surging from his old scar.

*Woof?*

"Man, this thing is really starting to..." His complaint was put on hold when he noted a glowing light emanating from his bandages. "What the...?"

*Woof!*

A knock on the door suddenly tore his attention away. "Master Flash? May I come in?"

The boy was quiet but quickly turn to his scar only to find the glow gone. Was it just a trick of the light or...?

"Master Flash?"

"Come in." He said quickly, brushing the strange thought aside.

“Pardon the intrusion, Master Flash.” Edmund entered, holding the house phone. “But you have a phone call from a… Sir Timber Spruce.”

Author's Note:

Wedding in full bloom at my place! Wooot! :pinkiehappy:

PreviousChapters Next