• Published 10th Nov 2019
  • 5,071 Views, 831 Comments

Equestria Girls: Love Is Magic - onekface



A new enemy threatens Sunset's new home. It craves magic and it craves all who has it. She and her friends must rise to face it. But they can't do it alone. Flash x Mane 7

  • ...
19
 831
 5,071

PreviousChapters Next
Applied Lesson

Chapter 89: Applied Lesson

It was a duel of epic proportion. A battle for the ages. A fight unlike no other. If Flash was to be poetic, he’d say that this was probably the greatest fight of his life. A one-on-one clash between him and a monster, with the Princess’ hand being the prize.

… or at least that’s what he would’ve wanted. But instead this fight turned into a one-sided slop fest.

Apparently fighting with a girl in his arms was kind of a handicap he wasn’t expecting. And maybe he shouldn’t have openly challenged Timber like that either. Perhaps it was the adrenaline or the excitement of adventure that drew him to say those things – or perhaps the mere arrogance he developed.

Regardless, it was safe to say that he was in deep horse dung.

“RARRR!” The boy turned wolf let out a roar, arms swinging wildly at his mark. What little remained of his humanity was flushed down the drain, replaced with the all-encompassing desire to rip his target to pieces.

Flash could do little but create shields that could barely withstand his attack and maybe toss a few blows back which probably didn’t have much of an effect. Timber’s fur were like coats of steel that made him impervious to damage. Kinda cheating if you asked him. And fighting and running at the same time while dodging treants as they came to block his way was difficult enough with his hands literally full.

The blue boy could feel shivers rolling down his spine. This whole battle felt completely different from when he met with Cinch or Hoity Toity. While those two fought against the girls most of the time, they didn’t feel as threatening or dangerous in that matter. This one with Timber on the other hand felt completely different.

Each of those swings were all directed at him. Each of that snarl filled with hate and resentment that would make a regular teenager quaking in his shoes. He wasn’t playing around. He was literally trying to kill him.

But now was not the time for self-amusement. He needed to get the heck out of here, and get Twilight some much needed help.

“SHE IS MINE!”

Yeah keep yapping dog breath. You ain’t laying another finger on her while you’re in that form. Not while I have anything to say about it.

Flash tossed another shield in front of him, blocking another strike while summoning another to whack the Timber-wolf on the side. And sadly… like before: It hardly did anything but annoy him. Guess this power is only good for offense.

Gotta think fast. Need a plan that’ll get him distracted for a few seconds. Something that’ll make him look away for a few seconds. And he doubts a dog bone would do the trick like in those cartoons.

“Flash…” Twilight’s words reached him.

“Hang on Twi. I’ll get us out of this.”

“No… you can’t. You… you have to run.” She clutched the hem of his jacket as she pleaded. “It’s… me he wants. Get away from here.”

Don’t be stupid! Who knows what that monster would do to you? And why are you being the selfless hero right now? I’m the one who’s trying to save you, not the other way around.

The only way Timber is getting his grubby claws onto you is through his cold lifeless body.

A poor choice of words honestly, but that’s sounded like something a hero would say.

“Sorry Twilight. But I’m not leaving you.”

“Flash. Don’t be ridiculous.”

“I’m the one ridiculous!?” He snapped back. “You’re the one who’s about to be eaten by a giant werewolf! I think you’re the one being ridiculous. I stuck with you on the other side of the world through thick and thin, with pickled eggs and stale bread. I’m not about to leave you now.”

“But… Timber.”

“Let me handle your ex. I’m used to dealing with folks who can’t take a hint.”

Twilight blinked. “You are?”

Honestly? No. But that sounded really cool to say just now.

And not a moment too soon because the big bad wolf was attacking again waving its claws at him like a madman.

“RARRRRR!”

“Come and get me, Dog Breath!” In a stroke of genius, Flash conjured two larger shields and began spinning them around him kicking dust and dirt off the ground. It soon became thick and heavy, making it impossible for anyone to see anything.

“WHERE ARE YOU!?” The monster roared. “COME OUT AND FACE ME YOU COWARD! ARE YOU JUST GONNA KEEP RUNNING!?”

From you? Probably. You got enough muscles to tear me in half. No way will I be able to match your strength or speed.

But in the brain department? I think I got you beat.

“THERE YOU ARE. COME HERE YOU-ARGHHH!” Timber’s roar was suddenly cut half way when he found himself tripping on a pothole, half of his body sinking into the ground. He tried pull himself back up but found it restrained by a something inside. “WHAT IS THIS?”

“It’s called strategy.” Flash answered conjuring another shield and waving it around like a club. “If you haven’t realized, this park went through renovations. There used to be a playground here. But they moved it because the ground was too sandy.”

“GRAHHH! YOU THINK SIMPLE TRICKS WILL STOP ME!? I WILL—GAH! RIP YOUR ARMS OFF—GOH! AND TEAR YOUR—GOH!” The monster groaned with each hit to the head. “ARGHHHHH! WILL YOU STOP THAT!?”

Hey, you’re the one giving out a villain monologue. Don’t blame me for taking advantage, smashing your face in like the cheesiest whack-a-mole game.

“Flash! Behind you!”

What? Oh right. The trees. He forgot that they were still a thing.

But Flash didn’t feel any fear for these driftwood. As scary as they are, their frames were far weaker than expected. And he was getting used to Rarity’s power.

With a single thought, Flash conjured a row of those magical barriers and sent them against the treants, pushing them with ease. He even redesigned them, giving these shields a more round feature making it harder for the monsters to grip on. With a little extra effort, he was able to push them all the way back, piling the trees up together like the city’s biggest bonfire. And strangely enough it worked well.

So well that even Twilight seemed amazed. “I didn’t know you can do that.”

“Me neither.”

Still pretty cool though. Makes you wonder what else I can do with these powers.

“Flash, look out!”

“RARRRRR!” Oh crud. Timber broke from his binds and struck head first. Thankfully not fast enough to get pass the barrier. “I WILL DESTROY YOU!”

“Timber! Please, stop this!” Twilight pleaded. “This isn’t you!”

“RARRRRRRR!”

The guy was too far gone. He was far too focused on trying to kill them to even hear what they have to say. Only a crazed lunatic would try to negotiate with him.

Heh, kind of reminds me of that Fangshire movie Rainbow Dash liked so much. Him against a werewolf battling for the affection of one girl. Of course he’d be an immortal vampire with an army of ghouls behind his back, and maybe a castle.

“GRAHHH!”

Right right. No time to day dream. Gotta find a way to get away from Timber – or beat his butt to submission. Either way works for him.

“The amulet!” Twilight said suddenly pointing to a trinket dangling over Timber’s neck. “That’s the source of his magic. It’s the thing that’s corrupting him. If we can take that away, he should turn back.”

That ugly thing? The gemstone was barely the size of a peanut. And even if he could grab it, that thing was attached to a werewolf who can literally tear his head off.

“RARR!”

Flash gulped. “I don’t think he’s gonna make it easy.”

“Not if we work together.” She countered, eyes glinting with determination. “I have a plan. It might sound a bit crazy, but it should work.”

“Not to be that guy. But most of the plans you make don’t exactly go as expected.”

“It’s either that or staying here.”

Fair point. Not a lot of room to negotiate. And honestly, he didn’t have anything to back that up.

“Ugh… fine!” He surrendered. “But if we get transported half way across the world again. I’m blaming you.”

“Hey! That first one was your fault!”

“Are we doing this or not!?”

Her eyes rolled. “Alright. But first we need to get some distance between us and Timber.”

Oh that, I think I can do.

Raising another shield, Flash pound it to the ground and spun it, kicking up more dirt and dust creating an artificial sandstorm which blinded everyone in range.

Timber let out an annoyed roar, covering his eyes. He threw a swipe at them. But by the time the dust storm cleared, they were long gone.

(Park Entrance)

Sunset’s mind was going on overdrive.

She had been gone for only a few days and already the life she built here in the human world has changed drastically. And she wasn’t talking about the park either.

Okay, so maybe the park needed an investigation. But what she couldn’t wrap her mind on was the new powers her friends got.

“Ok. So let me get this straight.” She stated to Rainbow Dash. “You all got these new magical abilities after performing this magical handshake thing with Flash?”

“Yup.”

“But… how!?”

Rainbow raised her hand in defense. “I don’t know. Normally when something like this happens, you or Twilight would have some kind of nerdy answer. We were hoping you could explain it.”

“Hardly. It took me months just to come up with a simple healing spell. And that was with Princess Twilight’s help. Even all these years, I still don’t fully understand how the magic works around this place.”

It’s bad enough that they have to deal with this Yaztec Magic, and the secret Order. But now this? She merely thought that Flash’s magic was just a passing symptom and that it’d be gone by the time she returned. But now it seemed to have grown immeasurably. So much so that it spread to her closest friends.

“I knew Flash has magic on him, but I never expected it to become like this.” She rubbed her hair, groaning. “And you all got new powers from him?”

“Yup. After a little touch, and bam… lightning powers.”

“Not all of us, darling.” Rarity added. “Some of us were left out of the loop. Again…”

“We’ve tried to call you. But we couldn’t reach you. What were you doing these last few days?”

The fashionista’s eyes squinted. “I guess I’ve been busy cleaning someone else’s mess.” Fluttershy, who to everyone’s surprised, simply stuck out her tongue in response.

“I’m gonna have to take a look at that magic of his. I just hope this doesn’t spread any further. If Principal Celestia finds out about this, she’ll be livid.”

“I think we’re passed that point already Sugar Cube.” Applejack countered with a smirk on her lips. “And isn’t that contradictory seeing how you brought back Starlight and… uh… that other guy.”

“How rude!” Discord whined from the back of the line, arms on his hip. “I’ll have you know that I am a very important individual back in Equestria. I’m friends with a member of the Council of Friendship. The highest ranking court in the whole land.”

The Council of Friendship is Princess Twilight’s group, not yours.

“Sorry about Discord.” Starlight mentioned. “He’s a bit of an odd duck, but I swear he’s really a good creature – er – person at heart. You can trust him. As for me coming over… well… it’s kind of a long story.”

And before anyone could ask any follow up questions, a bone chilling howl filled in the air, freezing the gang on their feet. It rustled through the trees, shaking the very foundation of the earth they stepped.

“What in the world was that?” Sunset shivered, eyes darting in all directions. “Was that a wolf?”

“No. It sounds like a wolf, but it’s not.” Fluttershy shook her head. “That’s… something else.”

Whatever it was, it didn’t sound friendly at all. And this whole magical infection corrupting the land wasn’t giving her any good vibes. “We need to find Twilight, fast. Let’s sp…”

“Oh no you don’t!” Rainbow Dash suddenly protested. “Don’t you dare say split up! Haven’t you seen any horror movie? That’s how the monsters get you. The moment we split up we’ll be picked off one by one. It happens every time!”

“Rainbow. This isn’t like one of your movies.”

“You said the same thing in Castle Hoofbeard! Remember what happened then!?”

Sunset opened her mouth to counter but found herself defeated.

Despite Rainbow’s obsessive knowledge of pop-culture, she had to admit that the girl had been right on multiple accounts. Still… this place was much too large for them to search in a single group. They needed a better way. If only they had an aerial view of the place.

“Oh oh! I got an idea!” Pinkie Pie chirpily raised her hand before suddenly turning the surface beneath her into jelly. “Rarity says what.”

“What? Bwahh!” Rarity fell for that joke, quite literally in fact. Pinkie pulled her onto the jelly and used the buoyancy to shoot the party animal up to the air.

“Weee! I see something!”

“What is it?” Sunset asked.

“I have no idea! But there’s something going on near the lake. I see a sandstorm, and a werewolf… oh… and lots of magic too.”

The lake? That sounds like a good place to start their search. Not really sure if that werewolf thing was a fact or just something of a joke though.

“The lake it is then.”

“Why on earth did you have to do that?” Rarity complained, rubbing the back of her skirt. “I’m really not into the whole ‘bouncing around’. I just fixed my hair and it’s all tangled again.”

“Sorry Rarity. But I needed someone who had enough mass to send me off high.”

“It’s fine. I’m used to all thi…” The fashionista nodded in understanding before the words dawned on her. “Wait. Mass? Are you calling me fat?”

“Well I wouldn’t say… ‘fat’. I’d say you got plenty of meat under all that… umm… fashion.”

“What!? Why I’d never…”

“Guys, enough.” Sunset whistled. “We can sort this after we find Twilight.”

(Gazebo)

“Huff… huff.”

Flash had done some quick sprints before, but this had to be the best record he’s ever made.

Running at full speed at all time with no breaks, pacing his breathing as he traversed through multiple grounds, leaping across difficult terrain, all the while carrying a girl in his arms. That’s the kind of stunt Daring Do would do in her movies.

Not only that but they were able to put some distance between them and that Timber-Wolf guy.

“Phew. That… was probably the scariest thing I’ve done all year. And this year’s just getting started.”

“I’m glad someone’s having fun.” Twilight stated, though her sarcasm wasn’t exactly missed. “Can you put me down now?”

“Huh? Oh… right. Sorry.” He set her down on the bench gently. She looked fine, and her breathing wasn’t erratic. But that all changed her arm was exposed making her squirm in pain. “You ok?”

“Ah… I’m… fine.”

“You know when you say ‘Fine’ and make that kind of face at the same time? You’re clearly not fine.”

“What would you know!?” She snapped angrily before flinching back again.

“Hey hey hey. Easy. Don’t yell at me. If you haven’t realized yet. I just saved you from giant werewolf.”

“I was handling it just fine before you came along.”

“That’s not how I see it.”

“I could’ve handled it… yeow!”

“Whoa. Easy.” He cooed, kneeling to her level. The girl was going through a lot of emotions right now. And fear seemed to be root of it all. That… and the wound on her arm probably adding to the stress. “Here… let me take a look at that.” She flinched back, no trusting her injury. “It’s ok. I’ll just take a quick look.”

It took a moment but she allowed it.

The wound didn’t look too bad. The cut was deep enough to make her bleed, but not enough to cause any lasting damage. Twilight will be missing some tissues later on, but it’ll heal with the right treatment. The boy had seen plenty of cuts and bruises before. And it was nothing a little trip to the nurse office can’t fix.

“Well, the good news is: The wound isn’t that bad. It should heal in a couple of days.”

“And the bad news?”

“It’s going to leave a nasty scar.”

She breathed a sigh of relief. “That’s good to hear. If only I had something to cover it.” The boy responded by pulling a roll of bandages from his jacket, making the girl squint. “You keep a roll of bandages in your pocket?”

He shrugged, revealing a small blue bottle. “Alcohol too. They’re actually to cover the scar on my hand. But after what we’ve been through last year, I think it pays to be prepared. Knowing the adventures you go through, you’ll be needing these. Besides, I’ve been the Band-Aid patroller since grade school. Anyone who gets hurt comes to me. You have no idea how many of us gets cuts and bruises during Arts and Craft time.”

Twilight blinked. “That’s… actually pretty handy.”

“Yeah. That’s what Drum Roll said to me.”

An awkward silence flew by as he rolled the bandages around her arm. He tried to be quick but he also wanted to be gentle. A wound of this size needed air to breathe as well.

“So… mind telling me what happened?”

Twilight’s eyes lit up. “What?”

“I’m guessing you breaking up with Timber didn’t work out as planned.”

“Y… yeah. I guess you could say that.” But then her mind jolted up in realization. “Wait. How’d you know I was breaking up with Timber?”

Ah… crap. So much for small talk.

“Ah… well… Rarity told me.” Sorry Rare. I have to throw you under the bus for this one. “She’s… kind of the reason why I’m here actually.”

“Rarity?!” She groaned into her free hand. “Of course she would. Why wouldn’t she? I knew she’d try something like this. That little rat. I’m gonna give her a good scolding when we get out of this. Where is she?”

“Not sure. We got separated when the trees started walking and attacking us.” The anger on her face immediately died down. “But I wouldn’t worry too much. Rarity might not look it, but she’s learned to handle herself. I’m sure she’s fine.”

She didn’t seem all that convinced though.

“There. That should do it.” He finished with a positive declaration. “I wouldn’t move that arm too much.”

“Thanks.” She gave the arm a good roll. “You’re… pretty good at this.”

“Band-Aid patroller.” He winked. “But just to be on the safe side. You should go see a doctor.”

“I’ll do that after we save Timber.”

Oh right. Him. “Speaking of Timber. What happened to him? Where’d he get that magic?”

“I wished I knew.” She admitted. “All I know is that he tried to put that amulet on me right after I told him that I wanted to break up. After that… everything just… went out of hand.” No kidding. With the whole park turned inside out, you’d think some dark magic was involved. “He’s also been acting really weird. Like… he was a whole different person.”

“You mean the whole Timber-Wolf thing?”

“No. Even before that. Ever since…” She gave the boy a pointed look. “Ever since you two had that argument.”

Flash recoiled a bit from the sudden turn. “Uh… what?”

“You and Timber had an argument about something. Something big. And ever since then he’s been acting strangely. And back then… when he appeared. He said everything was your fault. What did he mean by that? What did you two fight about?”

Ah crud. This really isn’t the time for this talk. Flash wasn’t ready. He wasn’t mentally or emotionally prepared for such a discussion.

“It’s… a long story.”

“What do you m…” They were interrupted when another howl erupted close by signaling the presence of her ex-boyfriend. “He’s here.”

“And he sounds really mad.”

Twilight rose from the bench, eyes focused on the movement of trees. All thoughts of her previous questions being put on hold. Timber was approaching them fast. No doubt he could smell them with that snout of his.

“We need to get that amulet off of him.” She announced. “That thing is providing him with that corrupted magic. If we can get that thing, everything should turn to normal.”

The boy held a finger up in protest. “Uh yeah. I think you’re forgetting a big, furry thing that’s wearing it. Timber’s not gonna make it easy for us. He’ll be nibbling at us like a chew toy before we get anywhere near that thing.”

“No. But I just need him to stop moving for a few seconds so I can remove that necklace.” Twilight then turned away, squinting her eyes at something. “Be quiet!”

He jolted. “Uh… I didn’t say anything.”

“No. Not you. It’s…” Twilight shook her head. Maybe she took a hit to the knockin? “Anyway, we need to stop him before he hurts anyone else.”

“Easier said than done. I barely managed to stop him with Rarity’s powers.”

“Facing him directly won’t do us any good. We need to find a way to restrain him. Have him stop just long enough for us to remove that amulet.” She eyed him. “Can you stall him for me?”

“What? Me!? Wouldn’t it be better if you called your friends over? They can handle this kind of situation better than the two of us.”

“They’ll never make it time.” She countered. “Please Flash. I know I’m asking a lot but… I need time to create a trap. Something that’ll be able to hold Timber down.”

A trap? That’s the best you can come up with? He was kind of expecting something along the line like some kind of super weapon, or magical dive bomb like Rainbow Dash. A fight to the finish. But this wasn’t that kind of movie. Still it was kind of risky. Him against a monster of that size?

Damn his bleeding heart.

“Alright. I suppose I can give it a try.” He sighed out loud.

“Thank you Flash.”

“But if I’m going to do this, I’m gonna need something from you?”

Twilight raised a curious brow. “Oh? What is it?”

The boy extended his hand.

xxxxxxxxxx

Timber felt… angry. Very very angry.

He couldn’t focus. Everything felt wrong in every way imaginable. Every movement he made felt like it took a lot more effort than usual. From the smallest step to even the simplest act of breathing took strength out of his body.

It felt as though he was heavier, bigger. Was he always this tall? Why did his hands look like claws?

Oh… god.

There was blood trickling down his fingers. The memories showed themselves, making him head throb with pain.

It was him. He did this. He… he hurt Twilight.

But it was an accident. He just wanted her attention, not… this. If she had just listened to him, this all would’ve gone so differently.

…!

It was because of him. He’s the one responsible!

Flash Sentry. It was because of him that he hurt Twilight. He’s the reason why everything’s fallen to pieces around here. If that boy hadn’t shown up… things would’ve been perfect. He would have the magic…

Yes… the magic. That’s what he was supposed to do.

How could he forget? He’s supposed to take her magic.

“ARGHHH!” The boy grabbed his head as a loud pounding could be felt drilling into his brain.

The stupid trees were talking again.

Oh wait. They… found him. They found the boy…

… and he was alone.

Good…

xxxxxxxxxx

Great job Flash. This is what you get for being such a goodie-two-shoes. You asked to be a part of one of their grand adventures and your wish is granted. Now you’re running around in a spooky forest while being chased by living tree monsters.

While a part of him was busy cursing his own fate, there was also a large part of him that thought that this whole thing was totally awesome! This was a true adventure riddled with danger, just like he imagined it. Though he wished that the whole thing wasn’t affecting him on a personal level. Perhaps the next adventure would be less life threatening and more… something else.

Fortunately for him, avoiding these treants didn’t seem all that difficult like earlier. They were quite intimidating at first. Scary enough to make you flinch or cower. But if you look pass their frightening visage, you start to realize that they were really nothing more than literal walking trees that can gobble you up in a single bite. The shadow monsters he fought last year was ten times more dangerous than these things.

They were quite slow, and their large and uneven figure made it difficult for them to surround their prey without locking branches with one another. It’s a wonder why he was even scared of them to begin with.

“THERE YOU ARE!”

Ah right… because he was the ring leader.

“Oh crud!”

Timber-wolf appeared out of the bushes, slamming against the ground and standing on its hind legs. Its glaring visage was enough to send a cold sweat running down the boy’s cheeks.

“DID YOU REALLY THINK YOU COULD HIDE FROM ME!?”

Flash shrugged jokingly. “Uh… kinda? I’m usually pretty good in hide-and-seek. Wanna go again? You hide this time.” The monster’s growl answered his words. “Ok~~. I see that you’re not in the mood for jokes. I can understand that. How about rock-paper-scissors? Or maybe dinner? I know a great beef steak restaurant around here that opens up late at night. Their kobe beef is to die for. Not literally of course.”

“ENOUGH TALK!” He snapped. “WHERE IS SHE!?”

“She…? Who…?” Flash feign ignorance “You’re gonna have to be a little more specific. I know a lot of girls. Octavia, Paisley, Photo Finish, Rose, Rose Heart.” The wolf swiped to which he dodged. The claws tearing a piece of his jacket. “Hey! Easy! This is made out of real leather. I had it custom made for my band! You’re paying for the damage.”

“YOU’RE STALLING!” Damn. The big guy was smarter than he looked. Figures. “YOU’RE PLANNING SOMETHING. TELL ME WHERE SHE IS AND I’LL MAKE YOUR PAIN SLOW AND MISERABLE.”

“Isn’t that supposed to be… ‘or else’?”

“THEN YOU CAN DIE RIGHT HERE AND NOW!”

Flash gave a childish whistle in return. “Ah… yeah. I think I’ll pass on that. I just found out from my doctor that I’m deathly allergic to dying. So… maybe we can try this… tomorrow? Or maybe next week? But not Friday. I got extra cooking lessons with Applejack and she’ll kill me if I’m late.”

“GRAHHHH!”

Okay, that’s the best I can do. Not gonna push my luck any further here.

Flash pushed his magic forward, catching Timber in mid-swing. It locked the werewolf’s claw suspended in midair, restraining it with an invisible force. He must’ve been surprised as well because he didn’t seem to understand what was happening.

“WHA…? WHAT IS THIS!? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?”

“It’s called magic.” He huffed. “Thought you of all people should know about it.” With a strong yank, Flash pulled the monster to the side slamming his face to the ground like a sack of meat.

“GRAHH! YOU LITTLE WELP!!”

“Hey! Watch the language, buddy. We need to keep this fight Rated E.” Flash rolled his eyes at him as he snarled. “Yeesh. With that kind of attitude, it’s no wonder Twilight broke up with you.”

“WHAT!?”

Oooh? Looks like I hit a nerve there.

That’s right. This whole thing must’ve been caused by the breakup. That’s definitely a sore subject for the guy, which is understandable.

It also could be a good sign, all things considered.

But would he lower himself to such travesty? Would Flash Sentry be willing to stoop to such a level that would make him such a donkey’s-rear?

...

Seeing that ugly snout? Most definitely.

Alright Flash… time to make a Siren proud.

“Yeah, Twilight told me about your big breakup. Honestly, I’m not surprised. You are kind of a snooze fest. I mean… look at you. You’re harrier than my math teacher. And he’s older than you! Ever learned to shave?” Timber roared and lunged at him only to be deflected by another show of his telekinetic powers. “And seriously, you got no class. You really think a camp-counselor/lifeguard like you has a chance with someone like her?”

“RARRRR!” The big guy tossed a rock which missed its mark by a meter.

“Yeah. I didn’t think so.” The boy went on with his mockery. “Come on. Admit it. You knew that it was coming. You saw the whole thing a mile away and there was nothing you could do to stop it. I’m actually more surprised she didn’t break up with you sooner. She must’ve did it out of pity.”

“SHUT YOUR TRAP!”

“Why? Because the truth hurts? She’s way out of your league. Face it. She’s a 10 and you’re a 2. You never had a chance. Guess that explains why she prefers me over you.”

“NOT TRUE!”

“Face it Dog Breath. I’m way better than you in everything you can imagine. I’ve got better hair, better looks, my grades are probably better than yours. Oh… and I’m super rich too. Have you seen my mansion?” He let out an evil laugh for effect. “What am I saying? You’re a dog. You probably live in an alleyway or something.”

“GRAHHHHHH!” Another swing and a miss.

“And you know what’s funny? You were right.” That was enough to give the werewolf pause. “I think Twilight really is into me. I mean she and I have been through some awesome adventures together. We got trapped on the other side of the world for almost a week after we fought a shadow monster. That was pretty fun. Maybe after I knock you out, I’ll take her on a romantic cruise on the ocean. Just the two of us. Under the night sky, over a heater, watching a romantic movie.”

The rage in Timber’s face reached a boiling point. His sharpened eyes went wide while jaw went slack.

“NO! YOU STAY AWAY FROM HER!”

“Yeah? Or else what? You gonna throw another tantrum?” Flash threw out a nasty mocking grin which only seemed to make the monster’s blood boil.

God. He felt like such a villain. The kind of villain that would kick a puppy to the road just for laughs. His subconscious was vomiting buckets right now. Every word that came out of his mouth tasted like venom. So much so that his tongue felt numb. He could already imagine Adagio laughing maniacally in the sideline, grinning madly from ear to ear while sarcastically applauding his taunting skills.

Flash made a mental note to thank her later for the lessons.

“RARRRRRR!” And right on cue, the monster roared. “I WILL END YOU. I WILL TEAR YOU LIMB FROM LIMB AND EAT YOUR HEART!!”

Oh… crud.

Maybe that was a little too much.

Eh… whatever. It got his undivided attention at least.

“Come and get me, Dog Breath.”

Timber answered that challenge in spades. He came at the boy, with all the intentions to kill. And this time he was stronger. The magic in that amulet made him faster, more resistant to his telekinesis powers. His swings were wild and sloppy but they were undoubtedly no less dangerous. One hit of that and Flash would be down for the count – and probably super dead too.

But thankfully the boy wasn’t going down without a fight.

Using his newly borrowed magic, Flash threw in every object he could get his powers on and threw it against the man turned monster. From rocks, to loose branches, and even several benches and street lamps that were still hanging about. The clash itself sent ripples throughout the park, the ground trembling with every blow, the very air between them shivering in nothingness. Each ripple in magic was terrifying to the core. So much so that not even the treants dared go near less they risk being turned into kindle.

The exchange lasted for about three, maybe five minutes or so with neither side showing any opening.

Flash broke a sweat, and his body began to show some signs of exhaustion. The first skirmish they had already took a lot out of him. A prolonged fight wasn’t gonna cut it here. Despite having all this power, all this magic, he was still human deep down. And to match his physical prowess with a creature three times his size was like comparing a grape to a bowling ball.

It just wasn’t a contest.

Still… he needed to do this. He just needed to buy a little more time.

xxxxxxxxxx

“You really think this is going to work?” Midnight asked as Twilight placed her magic on the tree. After she made sure that it wasn’t going to uproot itself and attack her, she worked her powers through the branches, placing each and every twig and bent them aside in just the right angle knotting them in ways that would trigger at the slightest touch. “You really think a silly cage like this is going to stop something as big as that?”

“Timber’s form may be powerful. But it’s not invincible. Apply just the right amount of force and he’ll cave just like everyone else. Magic is strong, but not that strong.”

“And you think a bunch of trees will do the trick?”

“You got a better idea?”

“I can put your boyfriend down with but a thought. I can think of a thousand ways to stop him if you just give me control of your body for a few minutes.”

“And let you have free reign? No thanks. I’m not trading one magical disaster for another.”

“Oh? You’re not willing to make that sacrifice. But you’re ok on risking ‘His’ life for your plan?”

Twilight paused. Damn it. Midnight was right, of course. Not that she doubted it. When she asked Flash to buy her some time, it was merely the spur of the moment. She was hoping to resolve this conundrum quickly and hope to keep herself safe. And while it seemed like the logical plan, she also realized that she just unwillingly put his life on the line. Though to be fair, that wasn’t exactly her intent.

Don’t panic Twilight. Flash has been through life threatening scenarios before. And he has magic on him now, so he should be able to hold Timber back for a few more minutes.

But should anything happen to him…

The wound on her arm ached. If Timber was willing to do this to her, how much more would he do against someone he despised?

There was a chance that he’d…

That Timber would outright kill…

Sunset would be devastated if she hears…

No. Don’t get distracted now. Midnight may be right, but the decision was still logical. You’re wounded and will be of no help. The only thing you can do now is work – and maybe hope.

A loud crash could be heard in the distance. Twilight could sense a magical fight going on. No doubt Flash had already locked battle with Timber and were duking it out.

“Was that… Timber?”

“Seems like it.” Her counterpart confirmed her fears. “And it looks like he’s not holding back either. That blue boy doesn’t stand a chance.”

“Don’t say that! Flash will be fine.”

“Are you trying to convince me or yourself?”

“Flash has been through worse.”

“WILL YOU STOP KIDDING YOURSELF!?” The angel finally snapped. “You’re supposed to be the smart one here! Try to think logically! You felt that magic, didn’t you? This isn’t some kind of dark magic you can fight with the power of friendship. You know how strong it is, and how dangerous it can be. You barely held out on your own against Timber, and you’re supposed to be the wiz when it comes to magic. You really think that kid is gonna last longer than you?”

Twilight had no words. She wanted to believe that Flash could fight him…

“If you keep thinking that all your problems can be solved with a song or good vibe, you’re seriously delusional. We both know that fighting against your ex is a full-on suicide. You sent Flash to fight that big guy… alone. And believe me when I say this: He is going… to die.”

The girl never felt more terror in her heart than she did then.

(Celestia’s/Luna’s apartment)

Luna can’t remember the last time she was this relaxed.

After having to deal with teenagers all week long, it was nice to finally sit down and enjoy a good cup of hot coco after a nice warm bath. The luxuries of life was most welcoming for someone in her occupation.

She was alone in the living room. And her favorite series was playing on TV.

Celestia was in her room, answering a call from her boyfriend. Judging from the laughing and giggling she could hear coming out of that place, they must be flirting on the phone, or planning their next outing together – or perhaps even both.

She could only imagine where he’d take her sister next. Seeing how many dates they were able to cram in just a few months, they must’ve visited every local high-class restaurant in the city by now.

The only way he could top those off is that he flies her to Saddle Arabia and have a fancy dinner under the sandy starlight, riding on a camel. Or maybe Yakyakistan where they can huddle under a hut and enjoy the local cuisine.

Hmm… that sounded pretty good actually. If he actually does any of that she’s gonna ask Celestia to bring her along.

Ha! Imagine them on a three way date. That’d be hilarious.

Ah… actually. Let’s not do that.

Ugh… forget it. Let’s just focus on Emerald Vale and see if the main heroine will pick her best friend over the rich hottie.

“We interrupt this regularly scheduled program to deliver you this emergency news broadcast.” The TV suddenly spouted, the screen suddenly shifting from the drama series to the main anchorwoman, suddenly interrupting her relaxation.

An emergency broadcast? There hasn’t been one like this since… well… forever.

“An unknown phenomenon has occurred at Canterlot City tonight. At roughly an hour ago, at Downtown Park, a strange glow can be seen. Witnesses in the area have posted online seeing a bright green light coming from within, to many claims to be ‘Magic’. Police and emergency services has arrived on scene but so far they have been unable to enter due to the thick foliage blocking their path. Authorities are advising that every residence remain indoors, for their own safety, until the situation has been resolved. Our very own crew will be keeping you posted as the situation changes.”

Luna blinked twice before taking another sip off her cup.

The coco suddenly became cold and tasteless.

(Park)

Flash had a mixed feeling about this fight.

First and foremost, it was awesome! A duel with a monster was everything he dreamed of. He always imagined that he would one day partake in a battle that would decide the fate of the universe just like Sunset and her friends did. He simply didn’t think that it would affect him on such a personal level.

I mean… if you really think about it, he is partially responsible for Timber’s current state. The man’s jealousy and paranoia was developed through his constant bonding with Twilight. It ate him from the inside which boiled up to take desperate measures. Turning himself into this… creature… hoping that he could keep that girl with him forever. Everything he did, he did for her.

All in the name of love.

If it wasn’t so magically twisted, he would say that Timber was quite the hopeless romantic.

In a bizarre way, Flash might even say that he admired the man for being such a devoting boyfriend – if he wasn’t so determined to tear him a new one.

Flash ducked another swing from the werewolf, bobbing and weaving at the same time while tossing heavy objects at his pursuer. Timber looked pretty mad. Mad enough that his eyes glowed red.

Perhaps all that insult and mockery snapped what little control he had left, and decided to put his death as top priority. The man turned monster cared not for strategy or tactics. He decided to use his own brutal strength to attack, ripping and shredding anything that got in his way.

Even the treants which he commanded were ripped to pieces just by getting between him and his prey.

“STAND STILL SO I CAN CRUSH YOU!”

Was that supposed to motivate him? Because it just made him do the opposite.

So far he’s been able to keep up with Timber’s thrashing.

But sadly he was getting faster.

His human stamina just wasn’t built to match with an animal. And unlike the furry guy, he was slowly feeling exhaustion coming over him. It was only a matter of time before his legs give up.

He needed to get an edge or a secret hidden technique to turn the tide.

And thankfully he still had plenty of cards hidden up his sleeves.

“No risk, no reward, right?”

With a little effort, imagination, and a lot of luck, Flash placed his borrowed magic to the ground pulling a chunk of the earth upward. It kinda looked like he was carving a giant slice of pizza for himself before shoving that piece onto Timber, burying him under a ton of dirt.

“Ha! Let’s see you try getting out of that one!” And again the monster answered the challenge, digging his way out of that rubble like a mole. “Ugh… I really need to stop motivating my enemies.” He gasped when Timber swung at him.

Thankfully he brushed him off with his powers, sending the werewolf flying. It didn’t do any lasting damage, but at least he can keep the monster at a good distance. The only problem was that the big guy was heavier than a dozen dumbbells. And tossing him away drained a lot of his energy.

“YOU’RE GETTING TIRED, FLASH.” He noticed, grinning.

Crap. Don’t show your weakness. Keep it together. Small breaths. You just need to buy a little more time.

“I’ve been skipping leg day for a while now.” He said through pants. If the guy wanted to engage in conversation, then let him. A second wasted on talking was a second he could use to catch his breath. “You’re not looking too hot yourself.”

“I DON’T NEED MAGIC TO TEAR YOU TO SHREDS.”

“Then why don’t you drop the werewolf getup and face me like a man?” Ah god that sounded so cool! Perfect counter insult. He’s been having a lot of those lately. Flash would’ve given himself a pat on the back if he wasn’t so dang tired.

And it seems like the words cut deep on Timber because he lunged at him again, claws drawn.

Perhaps it was time to rethink his strategy.

Fighting head on with this hairball wasn’t doing him any favors. And looking at how he was still jumping and pouncing around like a cheetah, you can guess that he still had plenty of energy to spare.

Flash needed to get away. Get some distance between him and Timber.

If only he could fly.

Wait…

That’s it!

Activating his powers once more, Flash closed his eyes and jumped, hoping for the best.

“YOU’RE MINE!” Timber pounced when he felt like he had his mark, only to find it slip away from his grasp going higher and higher. “WHAT!?”

Flash opened his eyes and blinked finding that his risky paid off once more. He looked to the ground beneath him seeing it going further and further away.

“It worked!”

“YOU CAN FLY NOW!?”

No he couldn’t. It only looked that way, while the truth was far less appealing.

He applied Twilight’s magic on his own jacket and hoisted himself upward like a kite, taking into account the wind and trees. Not a bad trick if he says so himself. Sure he looked rather silly being strung up by his own clothes, but at least Timber can’t reach him. So he’s calling that a win.

“Ha! Eat that, Timber!” Flash stuck out his tongue taunting the werewolf. “Can’t catch what you can’t reach. Guess that makes me better at magic too. If only you had wings. Maybe then you could keep up.”

You know the saying of ‘Tempting fate’?

Flash was a prime example of that phrase.

Because with a single motion, Timber grabbed onto a boulder and chugged it at him.

“Hey!” Another one came, missing him by a meter. “Stop that! That’s cheating!”

“COME DOWN HERE AND FACE ME!”

“Not a chance!” The boy flew off – or pulled off. His jacket hoisting him away towards a clearing by the lake. It’s the only place where the plan will work.

…!

What the…? Oh no. Not now dang it!

But Flash reacted a little too late. The seams on his jacket were torn from the earlier skirmish weakening it from the sides before snapping. He tried desperately to catch it but his fingers slipped from the thread to which he then fell to the ground back first with an audible thud.

“Ow…” He groaned. “Gotta work on my landing.”

A shadow caught his attention making the boy scramble just as Timber came down, nearly crushing his body into paste.

Oh boy. This… might be bad. He looks… ticked.

“RAN OUT OF TRICKS ALREADY?”

He shrugged, hiding his panic. “Hey. For a first time magic user, I don’t think I did too bad myself.” He let out a coy laugh. “I don’t suppose we can continue this tomorrow. It’s kinda late right now and I don’t really wanna miss dinner.”

“THEN I’LL BE SURE TO MAKE THIS QUICK.” Oh? Good comeback line. That’s the first one he’s had all night.

Flash took another breath, raising his body up for another fight, only to quickly fall short when he felt an aching pain on his foot forcing him to kneel.

Damn… my ankle. I must’ve hurt it during the fall.

Flash tried to hold the monster back with magic but he was far too exhausted to conjure any more magic.

Ah… crud. This is gonna hurt.

WHAM!

The blow came hard and fast. The boy was struck face first with Timber’s backhand. The impact alone was strong enough to send him flying across the park, spinning at least four times in mid-air and crashing onto a lamppost bending it to the side before both he and it fell to the ground with another loud thud.

Ow…

Is there a doctor in the house?

Pain rocked his body. His frail human flesh and bones were clearly not built to withstand such force. He must’ve broken at least two bones because he heard a snap somewhere. His head ached and his eyes lost focus. If this was a cartoon he’d have birds flying in circles around his head. You’d think that after the fight with Hoity Toity, he’d get used to this kind of pain. But nope. Apparently people don’t get used to being hurt.

The boy let out a low painful groan as he struggled to pull himself together. Every movement now sent a surge of aches and pains that would’ve made an ordinary human cry uncle. He tried gathering strength in his arms but they went limp in an instant. He can’t even muster the strength to crawl. Talk about handicap. And with that dangerous figure looming close by, he can guess that this whole thing was going to end badly.

Was this it? Was this the place where it all ends? Was his great adventure going to conclude here unceremoniously? To be beaten by a crazy ex-boyfriend who wanted him dead?

Not exactly how he wanted to go. He always imagined that he would go out in some grand adventure with the girls. Or to take down some evil super villain inside a raging volcano somewhere. It would make for a better story for sure.

Timber cackled gleefully at his prey, readying to deliver the killing blow. Within seconds the claw came down like a guillotine.

Flash could do little but close his eyes and hope for it to be quick, expecting a lot more pain and punishment.

Except that it never came.

He peeked open one eye wondering if he was dead already.

Instead he saw Timber staring dumbly at a blonde gal wearing a stetson who held his arm back.

She looked down at the boy.

And she looked rightly ticked.

PreviousChapters Next