• Published 10th Nov 2019
  • 5,198 Views, 843 Comments

Equestria Girls: Love Is Magic - onekface



A new enemy threatens Sunset's new home. It craves magic and it craves all who has it. She and her friends must rise to face it. But they can't do it alone. Flash x Mane 7

  • ...
19
 843
 5,198

PreviousChapters Next
Flaws in our Rainbow

Chapter 23: Flaws in our Rainbow

(CHS) (Hallway)

Flash always knew that a battle of the bands can get physical at times. The world of music had its streak of violence before but he never thought that he would actually be a part of it. After his shred-off with Rainbow, the Principal called them in. No doubt irritated by the use of magic when she strictly banned it from school. Now there was a crater at the courtyard the size of an asteroid.

He hoped they weren’t in trouble. That’s the last thing he wanted for them.

The boy’s attention lit up when the door to the office opened revealing both Sunset and Rainbow Dash all looking rather glum.

“Hey.” He called out to them quietly as to not alert the teachers in the office. “How’d it go? You guys aren’t in trouble, are you?”

“Not as much as Rainbow Dash is.” Sunset thumbed her friend who groaned back in reply. They slowly walked through the hall and away from stray eavesdroppers. “Principal Celestia was livid about the whole thing. But thankfully she decided to leave us with a warning provided Rainbow Dash here write an essay as punishment. She wanted to give her detention but there’s really not much point with the finals going on.”

“That’s totally unfair!”

“You’re lucky it wasn’t anything severe.” The redhead warned her. “It could’ve been a lot worse with the damage you did out there. If it wasn’t finals week, Principal Celestia could’ve suspended you. You know you’re not supposed to use magic.”

“I know I know. But I can't help it. You know me. When I get my groove going, there’s just no stopping it. And you gotta admit. That Rainboom Dive Bomb was totally radical. It just needs a little more umph!”

Flash laughed in agreement sharing a fist bump with her. “Totally.”

“Don’t encourage her.” Sunset grumbled. “Rainbow, you know that Principal Celestia doesn’t want a lick of magic anywhere near the school. I think her tolerance has already hit its peak and I’m not going down with you if you do something stupid again. Remember what happened at the cruise? You sunk in quicksand and ruined everyone's vacation."

"Hey, in my defense, my evil-magic hunt got us to find another portal to Equestria which evens things out if think about it." Sunset returned that excuse with a glare that would've made Fluttershy sweat. "Ugh... ok. You made your point."

"Can you promise me that you’ll keep all of this under wraps? No more magic. At least until the finals are over? The last thing we need is Principal Celestia breathing down our necks because you couldn’t control yourself.”

“Fine. I promise that I won’t use magic at school from here on.”

“You Pinkie promise?” Dang it. Why that?

“Ugh…” Rainbow Dash sighed but did so anyway. “Cross my heart and hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye. There. Happy?”

“Just so. Ain’t that right Pinkie?”

“Yup! Got it all here.” She gave a thumbs up gestu…er… wait… when did Pinkie get here? And… she’s gone.

Satisfied with the situation, Sunset gave a confirming nod before exiting the door noting the school janitors already filling out the crater that Rainbow Dash made. Seriously, the money the school spend on property damages has to be enormous by now. “Well I’m heading home to catch up on some studying. I’ll see you guys tomorrow?”

“Yeah sure.”

“Definitely.”

“Great. And Rainbow Dash. No magic.” She made a threatening eye to eye gesture.

“Yeah yeah. I heard ya the first time.” The guitar gal rolled her eyes watching as Sunset headed off to catch the next bus. “Sheesh. No magic. Pffft. Stupid.” She grumbled lowly when her friend was out of earshot.

“Well then…” Flash gave a coy smirk as he turned to the defeated. “I guess this means I win the bet.”

“Yeah su…” Rainbow sputtered. “Wait what? Nah ah! No way. I totally blew you off with that last note!” Yeah, him and everyone else.

“I don’t think it counts when you get told off by Principal Celestia. Besides, I think everyone will agree that I was the better shredder out there.”

“Pfft. Whatever.” Oh my god. She looked so cute when she fold her arms and puff her cheeks like that. “I’m counting it as a draw at best.”

“I think the crowd begs to differ." He gestured over to several students who were waving at him. And Rainbow couldn't really deny his skills. Flash totally up his game in the match. She wasn't even able to level the playing field until she threw magic at the deal.

And she did tear the school yard a new pot hole which only added to her frustration.“Ugh… fine! I’ll play as your dumb backup. There! I said it.”

“YES! Chalk one more for the Flash Drive.” Flash pumped his fist in the air in triumph, much to the girl’s irritation. “That’s what I’m talking about. So wanna celebrate my victory over some ice cream? My treat.”

“You want me to celebrate your victory over me?" She asked over irritation. "Tempting but no. I got better things to do than to take pity ice-cream from the enemy. I’m heading off to the bookstore downtown to get my new Daring Do adventure book. I need something good right now to get my mind off the exams… and this.”

“Cool. You walking there?” He probably added her supers speed powers in that equation.

“Eheh. Yeah… no. I learned the hard way that high velocity and icy sidewalk… don’t mix well. I got my bike. It might not be as fast as me but she gets the job done.”

Flash blinked before suddenly noticing something which made him cringe a tad bit. “Ugh… you mean your motorcycle?”

“Pfft. Duh. What else would it be?”

“It wouldn’t happen to be a blue one with multi-colored seating now, would it?”

Rainbow tilted her head. “Yeah. How’d you know?”

She followed his finger to her back where her motorcycle was parked – or at least where it used to park. The hitch pole where students lock their bikes was blown away, no doubt from the Rainboom Dive Bomb earlier. Her motorcycle was on the ground a few meters away, with one of the handles ripped from the body like a mistreated creature.

“My bike!” She quickly dashed to it grabbing it by its remaining handle. A quick scan of the chasis didn't spring much hope for her. "Oh man. Dad is gonna kill me." Rainbow Dash panicked but quickly calmed down with her trained breathing. “Ok… a little scratch here and there. But nothing that I can’t fix. It should be doable. Right?” And strangely enough the universe decided to answer that challenge as the handle she held ripped from the torso causing the bike to fall to the ground once more in a thunderous crash shattering the headlights and taillights altogether. Pieces of her ride scattered all over the courtyard never to be seen or recovered ever again.

Flash could do little but watch not really sure if that just happened.

“I uh… know a place that can fix it up.”

(Sunset’s house)

Sunset yawned out loud as she dove into her books, brushing up on some of the lessons for tomorrow’s exams. While she wouldn’t technically call herself a genius, her grades in school was definitely above average around here. Even before her reformation she was considered brilliant in human standards. Granted, the language was difficult to grasp at first, but she managed to get through it eventually.

She couldn’t wait for the Winter Holidays to start. Two weeks of endless joy she can’t even begin to imagine what fun she and her friends will have. It would certainly give her time to catch up on her games too. She hasn’t posted a single video in her gaming channel either. At this rate her subscriber rank will plummet.

“Sunset!”

“Bwah!” Sunset yelped when the music box spoke nearly making her fall off her chair. “Dan it Starlight! Mind giving me a heads up next time? You scared me.”

“Sorry. The spell doesn't exactly do delays. But I think I can give it a whirl. Are you busy right now?”

She brushed it off, putting her textbook away. “Nah. Just brushing up on my Chemistry. But seriously though. We really need to add a ringtone to your calls if you’re gonna keep popping in like this.”

“A ring… tone?”

Sunset brushed it off, too lazy to explain the details of modern technology to a magic user. “Never mind. What’s up? Did something happen?”

“Oh no. Not at all.” The Headmare chuckled. “Well there was that dancing incident with Yona and Sandbar earlier but that’s irrelevant to the reason why I’m calling you." She tilted her head up. "The thing is… we got some results on those magical artifacts you showed me.”

Well that was a silver lining if she ever saw one. “Really? That’s awesome! What did you find out?”

“Well I did some readings on the statue and the gemstone. But I wanted a second opinion on the whole thing so I brought in an expert.”

Sunset looked back puzzlingly. “I thought you were the expert.”

“Oh I am a master when it comes to magic but it pays to have another pony do a repeat. It just makes me look better on paper. Hang on. Let me bring him out.” She mumbled to herself. “Now how did that spell go again? Similo duplexus and then combine it with telepus. Aha! Got it.” The figurine then shined before splitting into two, with the copy transforming into a different pony.

“Gahh! What? Where? Who!?” The stallion with an orange mane and goatee jerked back from his stance looking startled. “How am I…? Starlight? How?”

“Sorry to interrupt you on your evening teatime. But we’re running a little short on time.” The Headmare added in a bit of a hurry. “Remember that little project I had you do? Well this is the part where you explain it.” She turned over to her human friend. “Sunburst, meet Sunset. Sunset, this is Sunburst. The newly appointed Vice-Headmare of the school of friendship.”

“H-Hello there.” Sunburst greeted flicking his glasses politely only to open them wide when he saw Sunset’s full stature. “Oh wow. How fascinating.” He scanned the girl from head to toe liked he was trying to drink in all the details. It was a rather uncomfortable feeling. “I’ve never seen your kind of specimen before. Especially bipedal creatures. Starlight told me all about your world and your body structure but this is probably the first time I’ve ever laid eyes on an actual humanicus mammalia. Your physiology is incredible!”

“A humani… wha?”

“Please excuse him.” Starlight added quickly. “He becomes hard to reach when he comes across something interesting.”

“It’s true.” The orange unicorn nodded without a hint of shame. “I once read through Wynnum’s guide to Magical Arcana six times before I felt lightheaded from starvation and dehydration. Heh… good times. I should probably give that thing another read later. Funny story. Starlight and I even…”

“Ahem. Sunburst. Time limit, remember?” The Headmare reminded pointing over to what Sunset deduced, was a clock.

“Oh! Right. Of course. I’ll uh… bring you up to speed." He coughed into his hoof. "I’ve analyzed the artifacts that you discovered on the other world. The black gemstone is obviously a magic medium. It works similarly like your crystals providing the wielder with the ability to cast magic like any other unicorn.”

“Yeah. Starlight told me that already.”

The Headmare shushed her. “Hold on. Let him finish.”

“After fully analyzing the gem, we’ve discovered that it bears similar properties to an artifact we have here at the school.”

“Similar properties?” Sunset blinked. “You mean that gem came from Equestria?”

Sunburst shook his hooves. “Well… not exactly. The artifact was from one of Star Swirl’s private collection.”

“It’s an old relic from back when Star Swirl first invented the mirror portals.” Starlight continued. “He’d make a number of these to travel between worlds and collect things from each and study them back in Canterlot Castle. Some of them are actually pretty dangerous too.”

“So you’re saying that this gemstone…”

“Is definitely not from Equestria or the world you’re on right now.” She knew it. That kind of power was simply far too dangerous for this world that relied solely on technology.

“So where did it come from?” The two ponies looked at each other and shrugged.

“We… don’t exactly know.” Sunburst admitted. “Star Swirl had a lot of mirrors made during his time. A LOT. And his collection of relics and artifacts is staggering. It's no wonder he's such a famous sorcerer. It’ll take some time before we can comb through all of it. And with all our new jobs here…”

“I know I know.” Sunset nodded knowingly. “You got your own duties. I’m sorry for taking your time. But… that still doesn’t explain how this gemstone ended up here.”

“Actually, we can explain that.” Starlight beamed much to her friends’ delight. “And the answer to that lies within that statue.” The redhead quirked a brow before grabbing the said statue. “Tell her Sunburst.”

“Of course! Now this is the fun part.” He stated excitingly. "Hold on to your saddlebags. Because that thing you have there is a multi-formulative-transdimensional-portal key!”

“A multi what now?”

Starlight rolled her eyes at her partner. “We just call it a Portal Stone for a lack of a better term.” Oh yeah. That name seemed way easier to pronounce that the multi... something.

“That statue serves as key component to opening portals. Very complicated stuff! When combined with a set spell and runes, it can open a portal to an entirely different world!”

“So… it’s like one of the mirrors?”

Sunburst laughed. “Ha! Please. This thing is on a different league than those. Star Swirl’s mirrors are powerful, yes. But they simply act as a gateway to and from two worlds and nowhere else. With that statue and the portal structure , you can literally go anywhere with no limits. You can travel from Ponyvile to the Crystal Empire and back in a matter of seconds, or just to your local grocery store just in case you forget to buy the bread for breakfast. You can literally go anywhere just by stepping out of your room.”

“Can’t you just use a teleport spell?”

“Of course you can.” Sunburst nodded expecting such a reaction. “But that's because we're unicorns. Anyone with a bit of raw magic can use it without horns or magical artifacts. You can use it to go literally anywhere, at any place! All you need is a bit of magical energy and poof.”

Whoa… that did sound pretty cool. It would certainly save her on travel expenses. With that kind of ability she can go to the mall without metaphorically stepping out of her house. She can get to the beach without driving through traffic. Heck she’ll never be late for school ever again!

“Wow… that is impressive.”

“I know, right!?” The orange unicorn burst. “What I wouldn’t give to have that thing in my lab and study it. We could implement it in our school. Have a direct portal between here and Canterlot! Or build one in my house at the Crystal Empire, or one to Sire’s Hollow, maybe even Yakyakistan? Think of the applications! You can literally go around the world in a few minutes!”

“Easy there Sunburst. One thing at a time.” Starlight cooed to her best friend before returning her attention to Sunset. “Anyway, we’ll work on finding out where that black gem came from. If we know its origin then maybe we can find out more about it. Twilight’s sending some help too from the Crystal Empire. I’ll try to reach out for Star Swirl too. It’s a bit of a long shot seeing how that pony isn’t exactly easy to get in touch with. But it’ll certainly make things easier for all of us.”

“Thanks a lot you two.” Sunset gave an appreciative nod. “I don’t know what I’d do without your help right now. I’ll keep in touch. We got exams coming right now so I might not have a lot of time on my hands.”

“Hands?” Sunburst questioned.

Starlight laughed at him. “I’ll tell you about it later. Oh… speaking of which, we’re late for our meeting with EEA. Sorry Sunset but we’ll have to talk later. The ponies in Education Association can be really finicky. Gotta go!” Without even waiting for a reply she broke the spell returning the music box to its original form.

"Bye..."

(The Loose Screw Garage)

Rainbow Dash paced back and forth around the waiting room like a parent waiting for her child’s surgery. She was worried, anxious and downright infuriated. To herself mostly.

How could this have happened? Her Rainboom Dive Bomb was supposed to be a stunt that blew people’s mind away, not her baby. Her friends often chastised her for pulling that move and they were right. Now she was paying for her idiocy by damaging one of her most treasured objects.

The clock in the room ticked, with every second feeling like hours. She would never forgive herself if her ride was put out of commission because of her over the top stunt. This was not how her it was supposed to go down.

“Don’t tell me to calm down!” She yelled out at the boy who was with her who flinched at her sudden outburst.

“I… didn’t say anything.”

“Oh… sorry.” She returned to pacing looking even more concerned. “I’m just really stressed out right now.”

“Hey don’t sweat. I totally get it. I was bummed out too when my car was wrecked that other time when I ran from the shadow monsters. The trick is to just breathe.”

Yeah… that made sense.

"It'll be fine." He continued reassuring her. "I bet the guys here can fix it, no problem."

“Yeah…... yeah...you’re right. I’m probably overreacting. It’s probably not even as bad as it looks.”

The mechanic entered not a second later grunting loudly, turning to face the pair like parents awaiting the result. “It’s not as bad as it looks.” Oh thank god. “It’s a lot worse.” You know you didn’t have to put in that last bit, right?

Flash groaned. “Not exactly the answer I was hoping for, but ok.”

“How bad is it, doc?” Rainbow Dash asked, steeling herself for the worse. “Give it to me straight. Don't hold anything back. I deserve the truth. I can handle it.”

“I ain’t a doctor… but… yeah sure.” He shrugged uncaringly. “Well for starters, your baby there got more scratches and dents than the dirt road, you got a bad fuel leak, the breaks are busted, steering handles are are wreck, and don’t even get me started with the transmission.” The owner of the bike flinched as every news he gave felt like another stab into her heart. “What did you do to it? Throw it down a skyscraper or something?”

The answer to that question was ‘Or something’ indeed. But they didn’t want to say. It’s not like they could just say magic was involve.

“Can you fix it?” Flash asked, holding his friend up as she looked like she was gonna faint.

“Well… yes and no.” Which one was it? You can’t have both dude. “That over there is a Cloudsdale Angel Classic. It’s an extremely old model. They don’t make them anymore and the parts alone are practically vintage. You can only find them on private collectors preserved like fossils. At this point, you’re better off buying a new one.”

“But I can’t just throw away Rainbow Blaze!” Rainbow Blaze? Seriously? That’s what you name your ride? “This baby and I have been through so much together. My first ever road trip around the city, or that time I had to go a dentist because crashed on a tree on my way to the movie house. Dad gave it to me when I finally got my driving license. It’s just as important to me as Tank! There’s gotta be something you can do.”

The mechanic shrugged. He was really good at the shrugging part. “I can probably fix the dents and the handle. But that’s about it. Unless you know someone who owns a vintage working Cloudsdale Angel Classic, then I’m sorry to say: You’re out of luck. You can come and pick it up in a few days – or… what’s left of it anyway.” Dude. Uncool. With a bored nod the man went away leaving Rainbow Dash to sulk on her bike.

“Hey… it’s not the end of the world.” Flash comforted her. “I’m sure you can find another one.”

“No I won’t.” She sobbed. “Didn’t you hear? They don’t make them anymore. Rainbow Blaze is a one of a kind. Dad and I maintained it for years. He’s gonna be so mad when he sees it turned inside out like it was put in a blender!” But then an idea came to mind. She turned to Flash and smiled weakly. “I don’t suppose you’d have one in your big basement.”

Sadly the boy shook his head. “Sorry. My dad is into exotics, not classics.” Well it was worth a shot. “I can let you borrow one of my bikes if you want.”

“No… it’s fine. I’ll… just take the bus.” Oooh… being reduced to public transportation. For a speedster like RD, that was pretty much the same as clipping her wings and then dropping her out of the tallest building you can find. Watching her plummet to the cold dark void below and hearing the echoes of her scream as she flapped her feathers in futility.

“You know… if we leave now we can probably still make it to the bookstore and get your Daring Do novel.” He smiled warmly and gestured her to his car.

“No... I can't."

"It's fine. You said you needed something to get your mind off the test, right?" Flash reasoned back shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly. "Besides, I can’t leave a friend hanging out in this weather.”

She blinked, somewhat surprised, while she rubbed her arm shyly. “Oh… uh thanks?”

“Plus I can’t leave my backup guitar freezing before she pays me back.”

“Oh why you little…!” She threw a swing and a miss.

(Celestia/Luna’s Apartment)

The first day of the exams was over. Celestia took that as a sign and decided to sit back and relax for a while. While Rainbow Dash’s little magic stunt made a dent at her perfect day she can’t really blame her for that. It was kind of expected that one of them would crack eventually and naturally she wasn’t surprised that the hothead of the group would be the one to break first.

Ugh… she can’t wait for this week to end so she can finally take that paid vacation leave. Two weeks of no work and endless fun under the snow. It’ll be magnificent. Even more so when Sombra told her that he had a surprise for her for the New Year. She can hardly begin to imagine it.

Heck these last few days with him have already sparked so much of her old memories. He practically took her to all the hottest spots in the city. They visited cafes, restaurants, and even went to the zoo one time. Heck he even took her to the town hall party where all the political circles converged. That was a pretty hard bar to beat.

Thursday really can’t come fast enough.

“Uh… sister.”

The Principal blinked seeing her little sister clutching the phone. “Yes Luna? What’s the matter? You look paler than usual.”

“It’s the board of education. They’ve approved the budget for the repairs. Thankfully it wasn’t much and they didn’t ask any questions.”

“So? That’s a good thing, isn’t it?”

“Except that they added something extra to the conditions.” Extra conditions? That was never good. It normally involved a cut in budget or a favor here or there. And sometimes it can be very… cumbersome if the board wanted.

“And that would be…?”

“The board have somehow noticed that our school didn’t have Student Counselor. They want to rectify that. They said that it would be good for the students to have someone to open up to.”

That sounded like something they’ve been planning for a while. The school didn’t really need a counselor since there wasn’t any reason. The students here were well behaved and had a bright future ahead of them.

“That doesn’t sound too bad.” Celestia admitted. To be honest it actually feels easier than the tasks they were given previously. “I suppose I can put out a notice in the school website. We can have them come in right after the Winter Holidays.”

“Actually… they already have someone in mind for that position. They’ll be sending ‘Him’ over as a… gift. So to speak.”

“Him?”

“Your old friend from Hooverton.” Luna flashed the man’s photo on her phone which drained her sister’s color. “Yeah. I thought that might be your reaction.”

“I thought he was working in the academy. Why would ‘He’ of all people want to work in a high school?”

“I’m not quite sure myself but I can’t really find a reason to decline their offer."

"Chairman Neighsay." Celestia dreaded that name like it was poison. He was the worst of the best. 'The vampire of Hooverton' they call him because of his haunting personality and exclusive use of black and red as his choice of wardrobe. The man was brilliant, incorruptible, and utterly inflexible when it came to rules and regulations. If there was a rule book out there, he'd probably have read it and memorized it to heart. Any infraction or misconduct acted in his presence is normally and unavoidably put to the full extent of the law. And students weren't the only ones to feel his wrath. Teachers fear him. Grown men and women tremble at his presence.

His reputation was solidified when he willingly expelled a close friend of his during his college years. Ever since then he rose through the ranks of the board of education, becoming a chairman of the council.

He was both the judge and executioner. And no one was exempted from his gavel.

"He’ll be arriving next week for a... surprise inspection."

Celestia groaned. “This is not how I wanted to begin the New Year.”

(Rainbow Dash’s house)

Flash parked his car over by the sidewalk just in front of Rainbow Dash’s house. It was a cute little home that strangely did not match with its resident. But then again it seems like everyone here had a side of themselves that they didn’t want to reveal.

“Are you gonna be ok?” He asked his passenger who sighed lowly to herself. Rainbow Dash had this depressing look on her face during the whole trip. No doubt thinking about her precious bike that was still in the shop. There was really no helping that thing with the damage done to it.

“Yeah… I’ll be fine.” She didn’t sound so convincing with that sigh. “I just need to be cool.”

“You think your dad will be mad for wrecking his ride?”

“Mad? No. Upset… maybe. That was his first ever bike. But he’s not here right now. He’s out on some business trip and won’t be back until the weekends so I still got time to think of a good excuse.” She forced a laugh. “You think he’ll buy it if I told him that I was attacked by some shadow monster in the parking lot?”

“If he knows you have magic, maybe. But I figure you should give it to him straight. No point leaving the band-aid on forever, right?”

“Ugh… man. Now you sound just like Applejack.”

“I will take that as a compliment.” He replied grinning. “But seriously. Just tell him the truth. I’m sure he’ll understand. He is your dad after all. I think he deserves to know.”

“Yeah… you’re probably right.” She opened the car door and got out. Her first instinct was to simply go in her house and leave it at that. But to both their surprise, she didn’t. Slowly she leaned on his door grunting. “Hey uh… thanks for driving me to the bookstore and… back home. You helped me out a lot today.”

The boy chuckled softly in reply. “Don’t sweat it. You know I’m always happy to help you girls out.”

“And… sorry for earlier. I know that I can be a bit…”

“Competitive? Snobby? Prideful? Arrogant? Selfish? Crazy? Mad? Loony?” He added raising a finger on each example. “You can tell when I get it right.”

“Emotional.” She retorted. “I was gonna say emotional.”

He shrugged. “Eh… I still prefer snobby.”

“Emotional!” Rainbow demanded. “You know how I get when I compete. I can get out of hand when it comes to competition. And… sorry about blasting you with my magic.”

“Oh please. That was nothing.” He waved it off nonchalantly. “I was turned into a zombie at one point, brainwashed by Sirens, a plant lady tried to imprison us in her camp for all eternity and I got struck my magic lightning.” He then raised his bandaged hand as proof. “Compared to what we’ve been through, your Rainbow Dive Bomb was just a cute breeze.”

“Jerk.” She threw him a punch, chuckling.

“And there we go.” Flash stated, smiling giddily as if he won something. “I finally got you to laugh. And here I thought you’d be Sulky-McGee for the whole night.”

“Me?” The girl scoffed. “I wasn’t sulking.”

“Rainbow Dash, you had a frowny face on you ever since we left the garage. I know your bike is important to you and your dad, but chin up. It’s not the end of the world.”

“I know I know. You don’t have to say it.”

“And try to smile a little more. You look a lot better with a smile on your face.”

“Oh… pssh.” She gave a snarky look. “You rip that line from a movie.”

“Hey, it worked, didn’t it?”

Her cheeks darkened. “Maybe. Just don’t get used to it. One of these days I’ll outdo you at your own show.”

“I’m already looking forward to it.” Ah crud. She got reeled in to that line. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yeah… later.”

And with his foot on the pedestal the boy drove off into the lonely road watching Rainbow in his rearview mirror. She lingered at the sidewalk for a minute or so, waving cutely at him before slowly slipping back to her house.

When he was finally alone, the boy reached for his phone and dialed his favorite number. “Edmund… it’s me.”

“Master Flash.” The man on the other line spoke up regally. “How may I be of service?”

“You mind putting out a call to some of dad’s collector friends? I’m looking for something.”

PreviousChapters Next