• Published 4th Mar 2020
  • 1,217 Views, 276 Comments

The Little Curiosities - Comma Typer



Everyone's turned into Equestrian creatures and reality's turned magical. The former humans of Canterlot City and beyond try to restart their lives. These are their stories.

  • ...
5
 276
 1,217

PreviousChapters Next
Terminal Flights

The little community of Whicker, Ohayo, is most famous for its little domestic airport. A flyover town in a flyover county of a slightly flyover state, its small-town culture is a commodity tourists ignore for other small towns or, worse, mom-and-pop’s conveniently placed in big cities.

That is why its impending closure has caught its passengers off guard.

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” grouses Paper Trail. He has arrived from Fillydelphia to visit his grandmother and his rural relatives for Thanksgiving, now eating hayburgers in the cafeteria. “You still have the winter holidays!”

“We’ll be operational until after New Year’s.” The currently-on-break luggage handler, Nerve Bag, is a familiar face to Paper Trail over the years. She takes a bite off of her hayburger and a loud sip of her soda. “Then, this ship’s gonna sink.”

Airplanes come up and down, few in their number. Whereas the turkey holiday packed the stands with an army of aircraft in previous years—Whicker being one of many stops connecting Western residents to the East Coast metropolises—the outside this Thanksgiving’s resembles a dying strip mall’s parking lot on a lazy Tuesday afternoon. The terminal itself takes its cues from an oversized gymnasium with a small hoofful of passengers milling about and snaking around too many staffponies with too much time on their hooves.

“It’s the wings you see,” Nerve says. She points at the one common attribute between the two of them: their wingless torsos. “Census is slow this year, but the results so far say Whicker’s mostly pegasus country. In fact, Ohayo’s a pegasus-majority state. When our neighbor states are also big on the wing department, who needs planes?”

A pegasus couple fly in the sky. Daredevils, racing one of the planes while winged police are hot on their tracks.

“Good to know you’ll still be around for the rest of the year. Grams might have wings too, but I don’t think she could make the trip all the way to our side for New Year’s. I mean, what’s with pegasi and flight anyway? I’ve seen pegasi go on airplanes—a griffon was my seatmate on the way here!” He flails his forelegs up in the air. “My point is, flying yourself is different from sitting on a flying chair in a flying vehicle. I don’t see why airports have to close.”

“It’s experience plus practicality. They’ve already set up motels and stops in the sky. It’s like trucking except you’re not driving anything, you have wings, it’s in the sky, and the only cargo is yourself and whatever you’re bringing—oh, and Feather Express is rolling out pegasus-pulled trailers, if you haven’t heard. There're ponies too old or too young to go hundreds of miles, but for everyone else, it’s cheaper than a flight.”

He slumps. Drinks an ounce of watery soda. “What about me? There’s non-winged creatures in the world too.”

“Well, we’re planning to liquidate the whole thing. The board’s investing in some cheaper flight alternatives. You probably didn’t catch it, but we did a test run of zeppelins back in September. Was decent, but it wouldn’t be enough to keep up an airport for planes.”

“Blimps, huh?”

“Yeah, blimps. By the way, that’s Equestria’s most advanced flying vehicle. I swear, we’re in this weird limbo where we’re progressing and regressing at the same time, but it doesn’t matter because magic.”

A phone rings. “Oh! Uh, sorry, Nerve. That’s Grams, so I gotta scram. Don’t want to ruin everypony’s day by being late.”

“Oh, okay! See you on the trip back home?”

“Yeah, see you.” He stands up and trots away from the table. “Um, hello, Grams! Yeah, Happy Turkey Day to you! No turkey this year, you say? Oh, right.”

PreviousChapters Next