• Published 4th Mar 2020
  • 1,203 Views, 276 Comments

The Little Curiosities - Comma Typer



Everyone's turned into Equestrian creatures and reality's turned magical. The former humans of Canterlot City and beyond try to restart their lives. These are their stories.

  • ...
5
 276
 1,203

PreviousChapters Next
On the Subject of Cute Ponies

The question does not fully dawn on Sunset yet. “You’re asking me what?”

In the work-in-progress-again sushi bar, Fluttershy happily explains: “I was just checking myself in the mirror, brushing my mane and all… and then it sank in: I’m actually a horse.”

Sunset takes a bite of some hay-filled sushi: tastes good. “Yeah, and where are you going with this?”

“Well, after looking at myself for a very long while—and maybe it’s obvious to you—I think I’m... that I’m cuter as a pony.”

“Heh… should’ve known you’d be the first to come to the light.”

“… what?”

“Yeah.”

Sunset’s muzzle plays a smug smile. “Honestly? Humans may look cool, handsome, or beautiful, and wearing clothes all the time’s awesome too… but you know what I thought when I first came here?”

“That we looked weird?”

“That humans were just a bunch of overgrown lanky apes.”

Fluttershy chokes on her glass of water. “Oh… wow, that’s….”

“I wasn’t exactly a good pony out there, and I got used to being a human over the years. Now that I’m back to being a pony full-time, though, I’m not afraid to say it: human looks suck, pony looks rock!”

Blushes and giggles from Fluttershy come out cute, somewhat embarrassed. “I guess I should’ve saved you for last. Should’ve known being born a pony made you biased.”

“That’s okay, though I’d like to hear how the rest of the girls think about their new cuteness.”


Rarity levitates a new batch of dresses from her Equestrian self, restocking inventory with clothes that can fit her clients’ new bodies.

“Asking me whether I’m cuter as a pony? Why, the matter must’ve escaped me: I was all too busy re-learning the art of the dress. But, since you’ve asked… why, of course, I’m cuter as a divine mare and I like it!”

“Really? I… didn’t know what to expect.”

“Well, Sweetie Belle and I used to dress up as unicorn princesses. Besides that, unicorns always seemed just majestic to me ever since I was a little girl.” She lights up her horn in excitement: the fabrics glitter. “You could say I’ve turned into my spirit animal! After getting over the post-human blues, it really feels like a dream come true….”

“It’s good to know that you’re taking it well. Poor Zephyr’s still distraught about it.”

“Oh. I do hope he’ll get over it with your help; maybe show him the wonders of flying since he’s a pegasus, hm?

“Anyway… I believe you should ask Pinkie next. She’s never shied away from being the cute one, after all.”


“… If I were a plushie, I’d squish and hug myself all day long! I’ve even had this Manehattan stallion call me Cutie Pie… could you believe it?! The pun’s been there all this time, but someone gets it after I turn into a pony? Hah!”

Waiters on roller skates sail past tables. It’s Pinkie’s break time at Sweet Snacks Café. Hasn’t bothered to take off her dress to get comfy.

“But… well, what do you think about your human self?”

“Oh, let me tell you: I was cute too! Always have, always will be! Although I don’t know why a pony’s cuter anyway. Maybe it’s the size or we’re now all magic or what… but, uh, is that all you wanted to ask?”

“Um, yes.”

“Alrighty, then! Who’s next on your list?”

There’s a tap and another on her chin. “I mean to ask Twilight about it.”


“Technically, I am prettier and more beautiful as a mare than as a woman. However, that doesn’t automatically mean I prefer being a pony.”

Twilight has her intrepid questioner following her on the way home from Canterlot High. Time to get back to the lab after a couple hours of teaching nascent unicorns.

“Do you?”

“On the whole, yes. My old self would be baffled at me because she’d never believe me yammering about the possibilities of magic and what not. Still, I don’t really care much about being a cute pony. It’s the pony part—the pony magic, actually—that matters more.”

“I see....”

Twilight notices the pegasus’ hesitation. “Well, it’s never wrong to ask a question like that. It’s just that I’m focused on something other than how cute I am.

“Heh… speaking of cute, I’d like you to tell me how Applejack answers that. Maybe she’d appreciate a pony’s beauty more than I do.”


Applejack stops bucking an apple tree. “Wait, you’re sayin’ I’m cute ‘cause I’m a pony?”

“Ponies in general seem cuter than humans,” answers Flutershy. “I think we’re all cuter as ponies… but what do you think?”

“Hmm... Fluttershy, I don’t know. This pony thing is still new and all. Can’t really care much about comparin’ my new self to my old self… not to mention my own horses being there too. Argh. Maybe I’m cuter or maybe not: what I really need now is to just get this pony thing nailed down.”

The pegasus backs off a bit. “I see. Sorry if I interrupted you.”

“That’s okay; it’s always good to have you up and about.” Another buck at the tree and a few apples fall into the baskets. “Say, you said I’m the second-to-last pony you’ve asked. Who’s the last?”


“Um, Rainbow, I know that this is a big deal for you, but—“

“I’m cute?!” Rainbow yells, lying on her bedroom floor, wings flapping tense. “H-how did I not see that?”

“I think it was easy, especially since we were in Equestria for a while. Also, I believe we’re cuter because, we’re smaller, we’re ponies with unusual colorations—“

“That only makes it worse!”

“… but, I thought you were okay with ponying up. Weren’t you?”

“That’s because I looked cool and awesome with pony ears and two wings, back when I still looked cool and awesome! Being a cute, adorable, cuddly pony—“ shivers down her spine “—I’ll be ruined!”

“You could still fly like no pony here has ever flown before.“

“That won’t matter! Why? They’ll look at me fly and think I’m cute for trying so hard!”

Then, her wings stop. Stares at her friend with narrowed eyes. Fierce fires burn under their lids.

“You know what? I’ll prove them wrong! They’ll call me cute? Well, I’ll challenge them to a race—any kind of challenge! That’ll show them they just got beat by a ‘cute’ pony!”

Fluttershy’s head falls to the side in confusion. “But every pony else is also a cute pony.”

“Don’t ruin the moment! It’s the only plan I’ve got to save myself!”


Minutes later, Rainbow is found daring Principal Celestia to a race.

PreviousChapters Next