• Published 3rd Oct 2019
  • 4,879 Views, 260 Comments

My Crazy Ex - 23 KM To Nerdiness



Restraining orders may be imminent...

  • ...
17
 260
 4,879

Starlight Glimmer

[DAY 382]

"Star, you ready......you're not ready, of course."

Name's Kobe, human manchild of Equestria.

Starlight and I have been going out for over a year. We just GOT each other, ya know? We had similar interests, we liked to have fun, we were perfect together.

"Is there such a thing as too much studying, Glimmy?"

Until she started grad school.

"Pfft, do you know who says that?" she scoffed. "Ponies who get C's."

"I got a C+, so..."

"Go on, have fun. Tell everypony I said hello."

Her classes were expensive and she had taken out a student loan, so she got REAL serious REAL fast.

"Are you sure?" I asked her.

"Sorry, I gotta do this." she sighed.

Don't get me wrong, I wanted her to do well, I just felt that the constant studying was kinda bordering on......unhealthy.

"Ugh, I just read this sentence seven TIMES and I still don't understand it." Star groaned. "Why did I decide to go back to school again?"

"Because you said you needed a master's degree to get ahead in the business world- GOT IT!"

"W-What are you doing?"

"Oh, I'm playing 'Treasure Attack'." I uttered. "You haven't heard of it?"

Treasure Attack was the latest craze at the time. It was one of those augmented reality video games where you use the camera on your Neightendo 3DS to find treasures all around.

"Okay, the object of the game is to collect as many treasure chests as you can so you can level up.

"Kinda sounds like a foal's game."

"Yes, yes, I know it looks a little dorky, but it's really fun, everyone's into it. Plus, you can play it anywhere. That's the map of the neighborhood, and those emojis are other players."

"So, where's the treasure?"

"Pretty much anywhere, coffee shops, parks, even in this room. You should try it."

"I'm not so sure..."

"Aww, come on, you need a break from all this studying."

"No, thank you."

"Well.......I know another way to relieve some stress."

"Hehe..."

Luckily, at that point, there was still ONE thing that'll get Starlight to take a break from her school work. Even with all the worries aboit money and school, I was still her #1 passion.

[DAY 383]

The next day, I headed over to Star's place for lunch. I assumed I'd find her inside studying again, but she was running around the house, frantically looking for something.

"GOTCHA!!!" she laughed in triumph.

"What are you doing?" I said.

"Oh, uh.......nothing. J-Just out here looking for..........ugh, treasure."

It seemed my demonstration I had given her the night before had affected Starlight more than I thought.

"I honestly can't believe what I'm seeing here right now." I giggled.

"I know, me neither, I've been studying all morning, that I decided to play."

The all work, no play, no anything but studying mare......was suddenly playing a video game?

"I-It's......so much fun, I admit it."

"Well, that's GREAT!" I cheered. "But here's a tip, try to go for the ones that are a little bit further so-"

"Ooh, there's one down the street!" she squeaked, taking off down the road, device in magic.

"Wait, I'm coming with you."

I was excited. After she bought her own Neightendo, I thought maybe she was realizing a healthy balance of fun and work was the way to go.

[DAY 385]

"Okay, the map says there are two more chests down the next few blocks." Star stated.

"Got it." I nodded. "I'll get the red one."

"Ha, nice try. The red one is MINE."

"Wooooah, Miss Competitive's flapping her wings there."

At first, it was really cute. It was actually bringing us closer together.

"Hey, you're almost catching UP with me!" I gasped.
"Eeyup." Star giggled. "Better watch out."

Suddenly graduate school was the furthest thing from her mind.

"H-Hey, you wanna head back to the house? I don't wanna keep you from studying."
"No, it's okay. Let's forget studying for today, let's go play more."

I was thinking 'How cool was THIS', but I soon learn the answer to that question was anything BUT cool...

At all.

[DAY 387]

It didn't take long before every discussion-

"So, how was your day?"

"Great, I found three chests, one was a dud but the other two were BIG scores, diamonds and pearls, baby."

...found it's way back to Treasure Attack.

And just when I was about to suggest she considered taking a break from the game, she said something...

Interesting.

"I was on a Treasure Attack message board," she said. "and I saw that they were gonna hold a contest for the BEST players in the city. Grand prize: 1,000 bits."

"W-Well, that's cool, I guess."

It seemed like she was SO worried about paying for school that she started seeing Treasure Attack as a way to help ease the financial burden.

"Glimmy, do you realize how many ponies'll probably be playing it?" I asked. "The odds are next to nothing."

"....well they are with THAT attitude."

I was worried she was raising her expectations WAY too high, but if money was a problem, I thought I had the solution.

[DAY 390]

A few nights later, I took Starlight out for a nice dinner. The plan was to move in with me. I thought if we share the rent, maybe Star could relax a bit about her student loan.

"So, Star......I was thinking that-"

"Ooh, one sec, Kobe, be RIGHT back!" she said, giddly trotting out of the restaurant with the 3DS.

"Seriously?" I hissed.

I couldn't believe how fixated she was on that game.

She eventually agreed to move in with me, but she was clearly obsessed and it just kept getting worse.

You would've thought one of her friends' uncle's FUNERAL would be off limits. But not to Glimmy.

She needed a video game intervention.

"Seriously, at a FUNERAL?!" I exclaimed.
"I saw a black diamond treasure chest and I just HAD to have it." she stated.

"That's still no excuse!"

"......y-you're right, but now that it's over, how about some treasure hunting?"

"I don't think I wanna play anymore."

"W-What?!" she squealed. "But you HAVE to, I- OOH, be right back!"

That damn game wasn't just destroying our relationship. At that point, it had completely consumed the mare I fell in love with.

[DAY 396]

A few nights later, as I was getting ready for bed, I found this random 3DS on the floor. It belonged to some strange dude.

I HAD to ask.

"You're still up?" Star asked. "I thought you'd be asleep by now."

"Yeah, I couldn't sleep but, who's Copper Connections and why is his 3DS under the bed?"

"O-Oh, I found it at school today, some stallion must've dropped it at the coffee shop."

Starlight was good at alot of things...

Lying wasn't one of them.

So I figured if she was really telling the truth, she wouldn't mind if I returned it.

"It was a mistake, I'll take that, I could mail it." she shrugged.
"His address is already on it, on my way to work I could drop it off." I stated.

"That's sweet of you, but don't worry about it."
"No, no, it's no problem at all."

"I got it covered, K."

I was pretty obvious that she didn't want me anywhere near whoever that guy was.

And I'll admit, I got a little jealous.

[DAY 397]

I don't know why I called my idiot friend, Spike for help, but hey, at least I could trust him. We were both trying to figure out what Starlight could be up to.

"So, what happened, dude?"

"Apparently, one of her study buddies said she dropped out of her master's program."
"She dropped OUT?" the dragon groaned.

If Star wasn't taking classes anymore, then exactly what was she doing when she left the damn house? That made me even MORE suspicious.

"Sorry, bro." Spike said. "You know where she could be?"

That's when it hit me. One of the coolest things about Treasure Attack was that it showed you all your friends who're playing the game.

And, more importantly, PRECISELY where they were.

Turns out, Glimmy was less than a mile away. I followed her emoji toward the block it said she was on. It was in a pretty shady neighborhood, so I was a little surprised that's where she was.

"DON'T MOVE!" a cloaked, deep-voiced pony hollers, large knife magically aimed at me. "GIMME YOUR NEIGHTENDO, NOW!"

"O-Okay, okay!" I whimpered. "Just take it easy!"

I was legitimately terrified for my life.

Until I looked into the eyes of my attacker.

"STARLIGHT?!"

"Oh, BUCK!" she uttered.

"What the hell?!"

She was robbing ponies and taking their game devices.

"It's 1,000 bits, I'm SO close!"

"All this to play a goddamn game?!"

That's how insane she got. At first, Star got sucked in, just like everypony else, until she heard about the contest. Winning that money was the only thing that mattered.

And when she realized she couldn't collect all those chests on her own, she got the idea to STEAL them from other players. So, she started targeting other players, taking them by force.

"Kobe, there's a black diamond chest across the street." the insane unicorn stated. "That'll put me on top!"

"Starlight, you're STILL playing the game?!"

"It'll only take a second!"

"STAR, NO!"

CRASH!!!

The taxi chariot broke Starlight's leg. She broke her other leg, and both arms, climbing out the hospital window.

She was looking for a black diamond chest.

Kobe recently got married.

He met his wife playing volleyball.


Author's Note:

The role of yours truly: TheKMExperience. 😎

NOW LEAVE MY GLIMMY ALONE, SHE'S TAKEN!!!

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!