• Published 3rd Oct 2019
  • 4,897 Views, 260 Comments

My Crazy Ex - 23 KM To Nerdiness



Restraining orders may be imminent...

  • ...
17
 260
 4,897

Flash Sentry

[DAY 183]

I'm Misty Rose, mild-tempered unicorn mare.

My coltfriend, Flash and I had a whirlwind romance. We had moved in together after only three months and had been dating for six. We were really still gettin to know each other, but I was a storybook mare.

I mean, Flash was the first stallion I ever fell in love with. So what he did that night......was like...

"Will you marry me?" he asked, presenting a bulky diamond ring.

A fairytale come true.

"Yes!" I squealed. "This looks so beautiful. This must've cost a fortune, you can't afford this."

"Don't worry about it. You deserve the best."

I was gonna marry Flash, and live happily ever after. We immediately started planning the wedding over dessert.

"Maybe we could keep it simple." I nodded. "Just family and friends, we could have it on the beach!"

"You deserve something bigger." Flash pondered. "How about your parents' country club?"

I honestly didn't care about a big wedding, and......I haven't met his parents yet because everything was moving so fast.

But he met mine once.

And that left an impression.

Later that night, we met up with my parents to show them the ring.

"Oh, congratulations, sweetheart!" father cheered.
"Wonderful news." my mother uttered before bursting into tears.

They adored Flash, so I thought they'd be thrilled. But, for some reason, they didn't seem that happy.

"M-Mom, what's the matter?" I asked.

"It's been a trying day, honey." Dad sighed. "Got some bad news about Uncle Trims."

Uncle Trims was my dad's business partner. They managed alot of wealthy client investment accounts.

"Is he okay?"

"We don't know." Mom sobbed. "He left. Took alot of ponies' life savings, including ours."

It was a huge blow. My parents have been talking about retiring to Germaney, but that dream was gone.

"He took all of your money?" Flash said.

"Not all of it, but a good deal of it." Dad uttered.

Even though my parents' golden years had just gone up in smoke, they still wanted to celebrate our engagement. It felt like the perfect distraction to help them get over it.

"Flash, why don't you invite your parents?" Mom asked. "We'd love to meet them."

"Y-Yeah, I guess." he shrugs. "I haven't spoken to them in a while."

Even though I hadn't met Flash's parents, I was surprised to see him act........strangely when they were mentioned.

"I'm not sure they'll be able to make it. They can be......difficult sometimes."

"But we'll ask, right?" I said.

"Of course."

I suspected there was something Flash wasn't telling me. Why would he be so nervous for my family to meet his parents?

But, I decided to give him some time to work it out.

And a few days later, it sounded like he did.

"So, I had a talk with my parents today." he said.

"Are they coming?"

"Yes, they're really excited to meet you and your parents."

"That's great!" I cheered. "So excited."

However, Flash still looked nervous.

"What's wrong?"

"Remember when I said they can be difficult? That's because they're kind of.....eccentric."

Ponies are always embarrassed about parents. But that stuff is usually in their heads.

"E-Eccentric?" I said. "How?"

"Just.....BIG personalities."

I was sure that's what Flash was worried about. Because I created this image in my mind about the first meeting of the families, I refused to believe that anything could go wrong.

As far as I was concerned, this would be the most beautiful weekend ever.

[DAY 188]

My parents arrived first. We showed off the ring, and they were thrilled. I was amazed, they showed NO signs of having just lost almost everything.

Everything was going exactly as I was hoping...

Until Flash's parents arrived.

My first image of his dad was seeing him threaten a passing taxi chariot, but......I was prepared for eccentric. I was still sure the parents would love each other.

"So......how did you two meet?" Mom asked Flash's dad.

"This little lady and I have been attached at the hip ever since I walked into that strip club 28 years ago." he nodded casually.

"I was a waitress there." Flash's mom stated.

"If you wanna call it that."

His mom was a stripper....I actually figured Flash might have mentioned that one.

But I also understood why it would get left out.

"So, uh, your wife tells us that you're in the fashion business?" Dad asked Father Flash.

"Oh yeah, I manufacture and distribute knock-off hoofbags." he answered. "But the good kind, not crap. There's alot of money to be made in top-quality imitation accessories.

"D-Dad, this is not the best time." Flash winced.

"Ohhhh, that's right, you guys got swindled, huh?"

At that point, it seemed obvious why Flash had been so nervous.

"That, uh........pretty well sums it up." Mom sighed.

Luckily, they handled it like a champ.

I breathed a sigh of relief. We made it through the first meeting.

And then it was time for the first meal. We made reservations at our favorite restaurant. The dinner was mostly cordial...

"So, lemme get this straight." Flash's dad said. "This guy told you and these other rich guys that he's gonna make you even richer?"

Keyword: mostly.

"Something like that." Dad sighed.

Flash's dad wouldn't let the financial thing go.

And then......the check came.

"What do you say, should we split this?" Dad asked.

"Ooh, you know what, I left my wallet in my suitcase." Daddy Flash groaned.

This guy actually broke out the alligator arms. My mom and dad are not dumb, and they were not fooled.

Later, when Flash and I got home, I didn't want to make too big a deal out of it, but something had to be said.

"Told you my parents were characters." he said.

"I didn't expect THAT though." I grunted. "Don't be upset, but they were rude."

"I don't think I'd call it rude."

It was strange. He didn't seem to realize just how badly things had gone. Like he was blind to his parents' behavior.

Before we could really discuss it, his parents interrupted from the room next door.

Apparently, they were having.......a nightcap.

That went on all night.

The sounds they made haunt me to this very day.

After keeping everypony in the house awake all night, Flash's parents slept most of the next day. So, Flash and I decided to bring the two families together again for dinner.

This time, at home.

"Misty's a great cook." Flash stated.

"You know what I say, mares should be lambs in the kitchen, and tigers in the bedroom, am I right?" Flash's dad chortles.

"Rawrrr." his mom roars seductively.

"Hey, that's my daughter." Dad muttered.

I could see that my dad was starting to lose his patience with those two. And I kept waiting for Flash to do something, or say something. At least try to reign his parents.

But nothing.

"Misty, your mother and I have something we wanna give you kids for the wedding."

"A check for five thousand bits?!" I exclaimed. "W-We can't take this, it's too much."

Considering everything they had just been through, that money was beyond generous.

"Too much?" Flash's dad scoffed. "It's not enough. Weddings cost a fortune. You got food, flowers-"

"Open bar." Flash's mom chimed.

"Exactly! You're being kinda chintzy here. I mean, don't take it out on the kids just cuz you were silly enough to let somepony steal your money."

That was the final blow.

I couldn't believe he had the gall to say that.

"That's it." Dad grunted. "You two are the rudest, most obnoxious, most vile ponies I've ever met."

I don't think I had ever seen my dad that angry before.

"Honey, we tried, but we can't stand to spend another second in the same room with these two, let alone an entire wedding." Mom hissed. "We won't be there if THEY are."

"Screw these pompous jerks." Flash's mom said. "I don't know what you see in this mare, son. I mean, have you tasted this dinner? She can't even cook."

"That's not fair, mom!" Flash groaned. "She tried her best."

"Ex-CUSE me?!" I exclaimed.

That was the best he could do to defend me?

I was furious. I couldn't believe he just stood by and let his parents act that way. That was when I started thinking....I gotta call off this wedding.

[DAY 190]

The next morning, both families were preparing to leave. The weekend had been a total disaster. I just couldn't believe the wedding that I was so excited about was crumbling.

And that's when I suddenly found a note........addressed to me.

"What the-"

It was from Flash's mom, and it listed all the reasons I was bad for Flash. But that's when something really strange jumped out at me.

There, I knew exactly what I had to do.

Somehow, I coaxed my parents into the same room as Flash's parents one last time.

"Now, I know the relationship between the two families is strained, and maybe it always will be." I stated. "But before you go home, there's just something I have to ask."

I wanted them to witness this.

"Explain to me, how did Flash break his leg as a boy?"

"What?" his mom uttered.

It was a story I had heard a thousand times.

"How'd he hurt his leg?"

Surely, his own mother would know that...

"W-What is this, some kinda inquisition?" she gasps. "I don't have to stand for this."

"Wanna help her, Daddy Flash?" I said.

Or his father.

"Cart accident." he nodded.

"Wrong, he fell down the stairs. These aren't your parents, Flash!"

"How did you find out?" Flash sighed.

I probably wouldn't have, except for that letter.

The letter said Flash S-E-N-T-R-I-E.

What kind of parents don't know how to spell their own son's full name right?

"You hired fake parents?" Mom asked.

"Actors, actually." Flash's 'dad' chimed in a British accent.

Flash was kind of a gold digger.

He thought he'd never have to worry about money again of we got married. But when he thought my parents lost a fortune, he wanted out. So, he hired fake parents in hopes that their trainwreck performance would put an end to our engagement.

"Why couldn't you just mare up and break it off yourself?" I growled.

Then it hit me...

He wanted the ring back.

"That's why you hired fake parents?!"

"Can you blame me?" Flash whined. "I spent every bit I had on it......you're giving it back, right?"

Flash's plan half-worked. I did break up with him...

Right before I donated the ring to a charity auction.

Misty's parents recovered most of their money and two years later threw her a wonderful wedding.

Flash now works as a busboy...

At a really nice country club.


Author's Note:

The role of Misty Rose: Misty Rose.