• Published 23rd Aug 2019
  • 2,142 Views, 17 Comments

New Additions - FabulousDivaRarity



Twilight Velvet and Night Light have something very important to tell their children...

  • ...
2
 17
 2,142

New Additions... And Not To The House

Author's Note:

This just came out of nowhere XD I wondered how Velvet and Night Light would break the news to Twilight and Shining if they ever had another baby, and this came out.

Plus, I kinda wanted to do something sweet involving Night Light since I've been demonizing him lately in my stories. XD He's a sweet guy, he doesn't deserve it.

Enjoy the fluff, folks!

Everything had to be perfect for this surprise to work.

Night Light was moving boxes into a cart parked outside of their house. The cart would take those boxes to a storage facility for them. Normally, he and his wife would do it themselves, but not today. Today, their children were coming to visit, and they had a surprise for both of them. Twilight Velvet, meanwhile, was cooking in the kitchen. She was making meals for both of her children since they were coming for lunch. With Night Light’s planning, and Twilight Velvet’s imagination, they were going to make this surprise the best one their children could get. Night Light sent the stallion with the cart off to the storage facility, paying him handsomely, and then went inside to take a quick shower. Being in the summer sun even for short periods often led to him sweating, and he wanted to be clean when he hugged his children. Taking his shower and combing his mane, he went out to the living room and looked at the clock. His children were due to arrive in ten minutes.

He went over to his wife and gave her a kiss. “Everything ready?” He asked, smiling.

“All set. This is going to be perfect!” Velvet gushed, kissing him back.

“I know. I can’t wait to tell them."

“Me either.”

“Think they’ll be surprised?” He asked.

“Of course they will. Who wouldn’t be?”

“Fair point… Still, this might be quite a shock for them.”

“I know. But at least it will be a good one.” Velvet smiled.

“Absolutely. Think they’ll be worried at all?”

“What about?”

“I don’t know… Maybe it’s just me being paranoid, but you know Twily doesn’t like things she can’t see coming. And she definitely won’t see this coming.”

Velvet considered that. “She won’t but… I think she’ll take it rather well. She’s gotten much better about her neuroses since she moved to Ponyville.”

“That is true… And Shining?”

“You know Shiny. He’ll just be happy for us.” Velvet smiled.

“I don’t know… Don’t you remember those tantrums he used to pitch when something happened on a different day of the week when it was supposed to? You know he doesn’t necessarily handle change well. And this is a big change, and one he can’t control.”

“Night Light, be reasonable. He’s a grown stallion. He’s not going to get upset over this that way anymore.”

“I suppose you have a point, dear.”

“Don’t I always?” She grinned.

Night Light harrumphed playfully, and grinned. “I suppose you do.”

She grinned mischievously at him and pecked his cheek, continuing to make lunch.

Right on time, the doorbell rang. Twilight Velvet felt a tingle run down her spine, the same kind she felt before a thrilling new adventure was about to begin. Night Light felt his heart skip two beats. He went to get the door while his wife finished the lunch preparations.

He opened the door to see his son and daughter standing there.

“Hey kids!” He smiled. He gave Twilight a hug first, and then Shining. “Come on in. Your mother has lunch ready for you."

They both greeted him, and stepped inside.

“How are you both doing?”

“I’m good, Dad! The School Of Friendship just started it’s new semester and I’ve been writing all of the lesson plans!” Twilight chirped.

“That’s great, sweet pea!” He smiled. “Nopony is better at planning than you, my little princess.” He looked to his son. “What about you, son?”

“I’m doing well. Flurry is finally sleeping through the night, and Cadence and I are catching up on our sleep. And The Empire just finished the crystal fair a few days ago.” He smiled.

Night Light smiled at him. “That’s great, champ.”

Shining was mildly surprised at the old nickname his father had used when he was little, but didn’t say anything about it.

Velvet came out of the kitchen. “Twily! Shiny!” She grinned and rushed right over to them, kissing them both. “How are you both?”

“Good!” They chorused, and in a practiced move, each kissed one of her cheeks.

“Wow Mom, you’re glowing today!” Twilight noticed.

Velvet chuckled. “Thank you, sweetie. I’m so happy to see you both. I have lunch ready for you both.”

“Awesome, I’m starving!” Shining said.

“Me too!” Twilight nodded.

“Well then take a seat, and I’ll bring out lunch.”

Shining and Twilight followed her instructions, and were soon presented with their favorite meals.

“Peanut butter and Jelly with no crusts! I loved this when I was a kid!” Shining grinned. “Thanks, Mom!”

“You’re welcome, honey.”

“And you made my favorite too! A daisy and daffodil sandwich with no crusts and Carrot sticks! Wow, what’s the occasion?!” Twilight asked, eating a bite of her lunch.

Night Light and Velvet shared a quick glance of happiness.

“We do have something special to tell you both, but it can wait until after lunch.” Velvet smiled.

Twilight and Shining shared matching looks of suspicion, but since neither of their parents seemed to be upset- and in fact seemed quite the opposite- They didn’t worry about it.

“How is your writing coming, Mom?” Shining asked, before taking a bite of his sandwich.

“Oh, it’s coming along slowly, unfortunately. I haven’t had any new ideas since our family zeppelin cruise.” She said, sipping some water.

“Really?” Twilight asked.

Velvet nodded. “I’m afraid my well is dry for the moment, so to speak.”

“Have you tried doing that thing you usually do when you’re stuck where you write a bunch of nonsense and then think of something?” Shining asked.

“You mean stream of consciousness writing?” She asked.

“Yeah, that.”

“I’ve tried, but I can’t seem to think up something.” She admitted.

“Don’t worry Mom, You’ll think of something.” Twilight assured her.

“And you’ll make it great!” Shining said.

“I made you two, I’m pretty sure nothing surpasses that.” Velvet said, a twinkle in her eye.

Shining and Twilight both blushed, making Night Light chuckle. “You two will always be our greatest accomplishments.”

“And we’re lucky to be.” Twilight smiled. Then she looked at her dad. “How’s the accounting firm, Dad?”

“Oh, it’s amazing, sweetheart! The new filing system you helped me make is making things more efficient than ever!” He grinned.

Twilight grinned happily. “I’m glad I could help.”

“I’m glad you did too, sweet pea. It’s nice having a bit of you around, even just in filing. Makes the day go a lot smoother. I keep a picture of you kids on my desk, still, you know. Gets me through the slow days.”

Shining and Twilight both smiled at that. “You have a bit of us with you all the time that way, huh Dad?” Shining asked.

“Yep. You’ll do the same thing with Flurry’s picture when you travel, I’m sure.”

“I already kind of do. Not quite the same. She made this hoof paining drawing that I always keep in my saddlebags.”

Night Light smiled, and nodded in approval. “Cherish those. You’ll miss getting them when she’s grown up.” He said sincerely.

Shining nodded. “I intend to.”

The rest of lunch seemed to pass by in a blink. It was Shining who remembered their parents had something to tell them at the end.

“You had something to tell us? A surprise?” He asked.

Velvet chuckled. “Never one to forget surprises, Shiny. Yes, we do have a surprise for you both.” She smiled.

“What is it?” Twilight asked, curiously.

Velvet and Night Light shared a grin, and then: “Come with us, kids.”

The four of them headed upstairs. There were five doors up there. Night Light and Velvet’s room, Shining’s old room, Twilight’s old room, a bathroom, and an extra room that had been used as storage space. Night Light and Velvet led them to that shut door and opened it.

“Take a look.” Said Night Light.

Shining and Twilight both looked in. “Your surprise is… You cleaned out the extra room?”

“Not quite.” Velvet said.

“Why did you clean out the room? I thought all our old stuff fit in here and it’s why we didn’t use the attic?” Shining asked.

“We needed to make extra room for a new addition.” Velvet smiled.

“To the house?” He asked.

“No…” Night Light said, grinning.

It seemed to hit Twilight and Shining both at once. The childhood lunches, the old nicknames, their mother’s glow.

“No way…” Shining said in disbelief.

“Is it… Are you really…?” Twilight asked.

Night Light and Velvet shared a grin. “We’re having a baby!” They said simultaneously.

Both of their children looked dumbstruck. Velvet sought to address the elephant in the room.

“Before either of you say anything, yes, we’re both much older than usual expecting parents, but we also had you both fairly young, and much stranger things have happened. I once knew a mare who had a baby in her sixties if you can believe that!”

“Really?” Twilight managed, her scientific curiosity breaking through her shock.

Velvet nodded. Then, she continued. “We weren’t expecting this, but if this baby turns out half as good as either of you two, it will be a blessing.”

This finally seemed to break them from their shock, and they were grinning ear to ear.

Twilight scampered to her mother and wrapped her in a hug. “Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! This is amazing! I’m gonna get a little brother or sister! Congratulations, Mom!”

Velvet wrapped her in a hug. “Thank you, sweetie.”

Shining broke from his shock, and went to hug his father. “That’s amazing, Dad. I’m really happy for you.” He said.

“Thank you, Bud. We’re happy too.”

The siblings switched. “Congratulations, Daddy!” Twilight beamed.

“Thank you, princess.” He grinned, and kissed her cheek. “Don’t worry, you’ll always be my little princess, no matter how big you get or how many siblings you have.”

“Especially if they’re both boys.” She giggled.

Night Light grinned. “Point taken, young filly.”

Shining, meanwhile, wrapped his arms around his mother. “Congratulations, Mama. I’m happy for you.” He said.

Velvet hugged him and kissed his cheek. “Thank you, sweetie. I know you’ll be a great big brother to this baby, just like you were for Twily. And no matter how big you get, you’ll always be my first baby, and I’ll love you just the same.” She assured him.

Feeling a worry he didn’t even know he had dissipate, he relaxed in her hold. When he finally pulled away, he smiled a little wryly. “To think Flurry will be older than her aunt or uncle. That’s going to be interesting.”

Velvet chuckled. “It certainly will. I can’t wait to meet them."

“Neither can we.” Twilight amended, looping her hoof through her brother’s.

Velvet grinned, and their entire family shared a group hug. When they pulled away, Velvet spoke up.

“How about we go out for ice cream, everypony? I think a special treat should be on the agenda today.”

“I couldn’t agree more.” Night Light smiled.

“If it’s on any agenda, you know I’m prepared for it!” Twilight grinned.

“What are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Shining grinned.

And so, the Sparkle family headed out for ice cream, determined to savor the joy of their growing family. As they feasted, one cohesive thought ran among them all:

This was the best surprise ever.

Comments ( 17 )

Very nice! Night NIght definitely deserved some good time after this

Ahem. You know, as a female gets older, the probability of having twins increases. Nobody told us. We found out. Now we tell *everybody*

Just saying.

9797384
I do know. But I also know that since this was unexpected for them, they’re likely still trying to wrap their heads around one baby, let alone two. Plus, in their generation, they may not have been told, and since Velvet hasn’t been to the doctor for this in at least twenty years, it’s plausible that she is unaware.

9797390 The frightening thing was when we made the garage sale rounds to collect the needed things for our new girls (after having a boy, then another boy before, which for some unknown reason their stuff didn't work with the girls, but I digress). At garage sale after sale, we heard a phrase used by both mothers and fathers.

"We didn't know we were having twins until we were in the delivery room."

Our girls were 7#13oz and 8#3oz. We knew. The wife was literally as big around as she was tall. Thank God for the modern era where everybody gets sonogramed, and such surprises are few and far between.

I approve of this concept very much.

But then again, I'm a little biased : P

Are you going to make a sequel to this?

9797584
I never say never but I don’t have anything planned now.

9797931
Why must you hurt me in this way? XD

9797964
cause so many forget the little guy have fun!!

9797969
I didn’t forget Spike when I wrote this, actually. He wasn’t mentioned, but somepony has to take care of business while Twilight is away. And of course Spike is family to her. But in all of my previous fics, and in my universe canon, he’s a son to Twilight rather than a brother, even if it isn’t canon, which is why she said that.

9797973
new to your verse also just wanted to see what reactions i got

9797978
Fair enough. In any case, welcome to my verse! :pinkiesmile:

This was a sweet and short read. :twilightsmile:

But I must say, it coud use a little bit more editing. The choice of words gets pretty repeptitive for a short story.

She made this hoof paining

Whoops.

Hopefully the new arrival doesn't act like Twilight and Shining's sibling from the Third Wheel Series.

Login or register to comment