• Published 9th Aug 2019
  • 479 Views, 5 Comments

Sparkle, Sparkle, Sparkle - Split Scimitar



It’s Valentine’s Day, and because Rosalina is working a private charter in Hawaii, I’m alone. But not to worry: who’s available? Applejack is. I owe her a meal date, so why not today?

  • ...
 5
 479

Pizza Status: Got

“Chicago departure, Boeing 265AK, off Gusty Garden, 2,000 climbing 8,000.”

“Boeing 265AK, Chicago Departure, radar contact 1 mile south of Gusty Garden 2,400. Turn left direct CARYN, climb and maintain 8,000.”

“Position checks, climb and maintain 8,000, left direct CARYN, 265AK.”

As we cross the delimitation zone of 10,000, I set climb power and let the airplane fly itself. As I closely monitor the situation, I wait for performance numbers to stabilize before I tell Applejack,

“Alright, we’re just a few minutes from cruising. 45 minutes to Fort Smith.”

“Nice.” She yawns.

“I know this is probably the worst time and place for me to pry, but can we talk about my last night on the farm?”

“Sure? I mean, you laid everything out that you needed to. And I have been thinking about it.”

“Well, if I may, I don’t want to sound too repetitive, but I really do like you, Applejack. I couldn’t bear not to tell you.”

“Why? You could’ve told me that any other time.”

“Except now.”

“Well, obviously. I know Twi’s got a thing for you though.”

“Well, that’s because we started bonding over the fact that we chose careers that were not in any way motivated by money. I’m sure you can imagine.”

“Actually, yea’. Cliche as it sounds, I really can’t see myself anywhere else than on the farm.”

“As I couldn’t see myself stuck in a career that even with a relatively high pay grade I wouldn’t enjoy. I would probably do the dentist thing.”

“Stop.”

“What? I wasn’t going anywhere with that.”

“I know, but I always stop ‘ya because I care. I would hate to hear the news of someone I care about killin’ themselves.”

“I’m sorry, speaking to someone who lost both her parents at a very young age, especially to whom you were very close.”

“Hey, I have my challenges, you have yer’s. I couldn’t imagine hearing Granny Smith, Apple Bloom, or Big Mac tell me that I was no longer an Apple. Trust me, I’ve had nightmares about that, especially for the reason why.”

“I can imagine.”

“Now that it’s just us, would you mind sharing some more details on your disownment?”

“I don’t mind, but there really isn’t much of a story to tell. The full story will take more than an hour in the air, and that’s before sterile cockpit. I’ll promise to tell you though, the next time it’s just us.” I say offering my hand.

“Alright sugar cube!” She says shaking on the deal.

“You have my word, but on the condition it’s just us. You’re the only one I trust to tell the whole story to without too much fanfare.”

When she releases my hand, I add, “I’m sure you know. Pinkie Pie would bum out and probably start crying. Rainbow Dash would tell me to shrug it off and move on, Fluttershy wouldn’t make it halfway without crying, Twi would pick apart the argument and probably find fault on my part, Sunset would go into detail explaining the psychology behind the family’s decision to disown me, and Rarity would find ways to distract me from telling it.”

“Unfortunately, I do have to agree with ‘ya on that, except Twi. She’d state it as fact, but she’d still feel for you.”

“Right. I’m not saying she wouldn’t, but she would be very objective. And I like that about her.”

“So do I, sugar cube.”

“Glad we’re both on the same page. Now that it’s just you and me, are you comfortable talking about my last night on the farm?”

“Wha’cha wanna talk about?”

“C’mon Applejack. You already know.”

“Oh, that.”

“All I want is for you to be honest with me. I don’t care what you say as long as you’re honest.”

There is a long pause. I’ll take the word that Applejack though she has dated in the past isn’t good with romantic feelings. I always knew that. Even so, I butt in again to break the silence,

“Well, Applejack?”

“I know I said I’d been thinking about it often, but I never really gave it much more thought. I have to think about it.”


“Boeing 265AK, descend and maintain 3,000, slow to 160 knots, proceed direct IZOVU, cleared RNAV GPS runway 26 approach. Contact Fort Smith Tower on 118.3.”

“3,000, 160 knots, direct IZOVU, cleared RNAV GPS 26, over to tower, thanks for the help, Boeing 265AK.” Enter sterile cockpit, still no response from Applejack. “Fort Smith tower, Boeing 265AK, out of 6,500 descending 3,000, direct IZOVU, RNAV GPS 26 approach.”

“Boeing 265AK, Fort Smith tower. Additional traffic inbound same approach a CRJ-200. Proceed straight-in on the approach. Report final approach fix inbound.”

“Straight-in, report HOLGO inbound, Boeing 265AK.”

“I’m sorry Sugarcube. I just don’t feel the same way.”

“Fort Smith tower, SkyWest 3739, 4 miles from IZOVU, RNAV GPS 26.”

“SkyWest 3739, Fort Smith tower, hold as published at UCAXE, slow to 150 knots, report established.”

“Hold as published at UCAXE, 150 knots, report established, SkyWest 3739.”

“Boeing 265AK, runway 26, cleared to land.”

“I’m sorry Sugarcube. I just don’t feel the same way.”

“Oh what a relief.” I think to myself as I focus on landing, telling ATC, “cleared to land 26, 265AK.”

50.

40.

30.

20.

10.

Touchdown, spoilers up, brakes on, 2 in reverse.

35 knots, disengage reverse thrust.

“N265AK, right on A, taxi TAC Air via A, remain this frequency.”

“Right A, A to TAC Air, stay with you, 265AK.”

“You okay? Did you hear me?”

“I did, and I’m glad that’s out in the open.”

When we park, I shut everything down but leave the APU on, since I’m wheels up in less than 30 minutes.

After I check the APU, I disarm L1, drop the airstair, and ask if she has her keys.

“Well, thanks for the food, sugar cube.”

“Of course! I hope this doesn’t change anything between us.”

“It doesn’t.“

“Boy am I glad.” I say as we walk in.

We share another hug before she asks, “I’ll see ya soon, yea?”

“Yeah. I’m not going anywhere soon.”

“Bye, Max.” She responds as she heads out.

“See ya real soon!”

Comments ( 1 )

anyone else read that title in Alec Baldwins voice?

Login or register to comment