• Published 20th Sep 2018
  • 2,401 Views, 313 Comments

Fifty Shades of Neigh - GaPJaxie



A collection of short stories, based on fifty prompts given to me by FiMFiction.

  • ...
8
 313
 2,401

Old Actresses Don't Die, They Just Start a Lifestyle Brand

A request by Grungar3x7:

ActingVerse ponies speculating on the gen5 pony stuff.

“My career is over!” Star Power sniffled into her hooves. She was struggling to hold back tears, neither fully in control nor fully lost. She blubbered in that awkward middle, hiding her bloodshot eyes. “They said I couldn’t play Twilight again!”

“Um…” Butter Up cleared her throat. “Right. That’s because the casting call for Twilight specified a teenager. And you’re, um. You know. Twenty-six.”

The dam burst. Tears flooded down Star Power’s face and she cried out, her voice filled with anguish: “Oh God. I’m twenty-six!”

She sobbed into her hooves for nearly half a minute while the others took turns staring at each other. First Take nudged her head at Butter Up. Butter Up glared and nudged her head at Barnstormer. Barnstormer quickly shook her head, and indicated Pan Flash with a wing. Pan Flash pulled out her cellphone and pretended to text somepony. Deep Cover, finally, rolled her eyes.

“Hey, hey now,” she said, still speaking with Applejack’s accent. “Ain’t no need to making a fuss. Look, Star. Star. Stop crying and let me tell you something, okay?”

Deep Cover scooted in next to Star Power and put a leg over her shoulder. In anticipation of Star Power calming down, she opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by Star Power burying her head in her shoulder. The others grinned where Star Power couldn’t see.

“Awww. There there,” Deep Cover said, keeping her tone gentle even as she flipped off the rest of the room.

Eventually, Star Power calmed down and Deep Cover tilted her chin up with a hoof. “Star, I want you to do something for me, okay?” With that same hoof, she guided Star Power’s head around. “Look at Barnstormer right there. Now, when you look at her, what’s the first thing you notice? Like, front of your mind?”

Star Power frowned. “Um… she’s a blue pegasus with a white mane.”

“Anything else?”

“She…” Star Power bit her lip. “Cut her hair recently?”

“Really?” Deep Cover sighed. “The fact that she is just a mite pregnant didn’t strike you as significant?”

“It’s true,” Barnstormer agreed, gesturing down at herself. She was about eight months along, and obviously with twins. “I can’t drink and I fly like a pelican and when I back up Pan Flash makes ‘beep beep’ sounds.”

“Well, yeah, but…” Star Power looked away. “That’s not new. That’s why we had to frontload all the Rainbow scenes this season.”

“But you didn’t think it was important?” Deep Cover fixed Star power with a stare. “Star, is First Take the junkie of the group? The habitual user? The addict?”

“Deep Cover!” Star frowned. “That’s mean. She’s trying really hard to—”

“She ain’t trying nothin!” Deep Cover chirped, her tone forcefully cheerful. Then it took a harsher turn: “Because she been clean for six years and owns a rehab clinic. Star, the show’s been going for a decade now. First Take got clean, Butter Up got her PHD, and Pan Flash started that blog on tabletop gaming. Barnstormer went to college, joined a commune, married a hippie, and has two foals on the way. I spent three months in jail for throwing a brick at a cop. You remember that?”

“Your lawyer was really good.” Star Cover turned her head further away, until she was resolutely staring off at the opposite corner of the room. She sniffled again. “They totally should have gotten you for assault.”

“I feel like you’re avoiding something here, Star.”

“I like being Twilight!” She snapped. “Twilight is… is happy. A happy character to play, I mean. She’s cheerful and friendly and…”

“And she never has to grow up.” Deep Cover said it like a fact, plain and simple.

Star Power didn’t disagree. She shut her eyes and hung her head.

“Hey,” Butter Up raised her voice. Picking up her hooves, she crossed the distance and sat in front of Star Power. “You know I’m past thirty, right? Like, by a bit?”

“You still look like a million bits though.”

“No,” Butter Up smiled. “I don’t. I look good, but not like I used to. And you’re not the dumb teenager who thought those jokes were funny either.” When Star Power didn’t answer, Butter Up continued, “Star, do you not want to grow up? Or are you just afraid?”

“I’m…” She opened her eyes and ran one hoof over her leg. “It’s different.”

“It is different. But that’s not what I asked.” Butter Up leaned on close. “I asked if you want to be a real actress or if you want to be a Twilight Sparkle impersonator for the rest of your life.”

“No, I…” Star Power’s throat got tight. She shrugged off Deep Cover’s leg, and with a more intent expression, looked around the room. She looked at each of her five co-stars. “I have a question. Everypony. If that’s okay.”

“Sure,” Pan Flash said. “What is it?”

“Are we work… you know. Work acquaintances?” Star Power drew a deep breath. “Or are we actual friends?”