• Published 23rd Dec 2017
  • 1,386 Views, 5 Comments

Something I Can Never Have - Soraya



One year after the defeat of the Storm King, Tempest Shadow reflects on how she has changed since then. And she meets a colt who just might be able to identify with her feelings.

  • ...
1
 5
 1,386

The Return Home

The streetlamps flooded the city path ahead with light. Xenon walked alone, after Vinyl Scratch arrived at her own house. He had quietly set down the records he had been carrying inside his friend’s home. From there he went his separate way. The stallion’s house was nearby, only a few streets down from Vinyl Scratch’s, but he had another place in Canterlot where he needed to stop first.

The mocha stallion crossed over to a residential street. Scanning the row of houses on either side, he strode down the walkway. It was a blue one he was looking for, a few doors down. With a small jump, he hopped upon a wide porch once he found the correct house. With one hoof, he rapped against the door three times. The stallion stood patiently as he waited for a response.

The door swung open, and a tired-looking babysitter unicorn mare stood in the doorway. She looked slightly younger than Xenon, just old enough to be finishing up school. The stallion heard the sound of several hoofbeats going up the stairs. Four small foals rushed upstairs in excitement. Xenon greeted the babysitter. “Hello,” he said. “I’m just here to pick up Amber Charm.”

The unicorn mare nodded. She didn’t have to call anyone, though, as a tiny caramel-colored filly with brown eyes and a yellow mane rushed to the door. She was one of the youngest foals of the bunch, just past the point where she had been weaned. “Happy!” she said.

“Well, aren't you the sweetest little filly,” Xenon greeted the foal. “It’s time for me to take you home now. Can you say goodbye to your friends?”

“Bye, everypony!” Amber Charm said in her enthusiastic foal voice.

Xenon spoke quietly to the babysitter unicorn. “Thank you for watching Amber while I was gone. I didn’t want to leave at her house all alone. There was nobody else I knew who was available to watch her.”

The two ponies walked at an easy pace down the road. Xenon walked alongside the little filly, looking on ahead and keeping a close eye on her. “I was at a party for ponies my size,” he explained. “Did you have fun with your best friends?”

“Happy, Berry Hooves took my tiara. I really asked her not to,” Amber Charm answered sulkily. Her yellow tail swished back and forth. She watched her shadow and Xenon’s as they walked the short distance towards their house.

“That’s not good,” Xenon said. “Berry Hooves shouldn’t take your things without asking permission. Did you ask her to give you your tiara back?”

“She did give it back. Said I wasn't a real princess. Only after she told all the other foals she was the queen,” Amber Charm replied.

Xenon addressed the little filly. “You know, it doesn’t matter what Berry Hooves says. You’ll always be a little princess. You’re special.” The filly's ears perked up.

Amber Charm and Xenon arrived at the small house. The little caramel filly was tired from her playdate, so it was a simple matter for the stallion to tuck her in. He put on some quiet music in the background, and gently shut the door.

Xenon walked to the other side of the house. He walked through a doorway and laid himself down on a pile of blankets in the middle of the room. He sat alone in perfect stillness, his mind occupied as he thought about his encounter with Tempest that day. The young stallion reached for a flashlight, and opened the book that lay beside the bedding.

A photograph fell out from the book, depicting a caramel colored Pegasus mare with a white mane and tail alongside a newborn foal with a coat the same color. The place was quiet. The complete silence in the house too often kept him awake at night. He had to listen for other sounds, inside the house and out, in order for him to rest. If Xenon concentrated, he could hear faint strains of his daughter’s music from her room.

The stallion exhaled slowly, lowered his head and closed his eyes. Soon he would be asleep.

Author's Note:

I decided to split the progress of Xenon and Tempest's romance into two separate stories, mainly because I felt this scene, from Xenon's perspective, made a better ending chapter than a transition in the middle of a story. The second part will deal with the progression of their relationship, as well as the details behind Xenon's failed relationship and Amber Charm's birth. Again, this is the first story I have written on this site, so if you see something that needs improvement, please be gracious.

Comments ( 2 )

A bit confused about what this story was about.

Hi, Soraya. I just wanted to say that I enjoyed reading your story. Despite some things being slightly confusing, it was a comfortable read.

Also, have some time to check out my Tempest Shadow story on my user page! Stay awesome!

Login or register to comment