• Published 24th Nov 2017
  • 736 Views, 2 Comments

Crescendo - BlaappyMLP



Countess Coloratura's Cadenza Concert quickly became Equestria's most popular musical event. Coloratura is at the peak of fame and fortune, with a legion of dedicated fans willing to do anything for her. A little too willing.

  • ...
 2
 736

Exposition

"Ms. Belle? Rarity is awake. Will you see her now?"

Sweetie Belle looked up from her cushioned seat in the plain hospital lobby toward Nurse Redheart, eyes tinged red from an exhausting night of crying. Sighing, she stood and approached the nurse. "Of course, Ms. Redheart," Sweetie's voice cracked with weariness, a forced smile gracing her lips for just a second, "lead the way." Nurse Redheart nodded, motioning for the worn-out filly to follow her further into the hospital.

An uncomfortable silence trailed the two ponies as they navigated the simple white and teal hallways, only occasionally interrupted by the coughing or moaning of a sick patient. Nurse Redheart glanced back at Sweetie Belle, who was trotting with her head down, face obscured by the unkempt pink and purple curls of her mane. Redheart's heart dropped, saddened by the young mare's heavy despondence. She decided to offer her condolences to the distraught filly.

"Ms. Belle, if I may? I would just like to say that I cannot imagine how taxing this whole experience has been on you," Redheart said. Sweetie Belle remained silent. Hesitating, she continued. "I can't offer much, but if you or your sister are ever in need of medical help again, or just a friendly face, please know that I will always be happy to see you."

Sweetie Belle looked at the alabaster nurse and smiled. "T-thank you. That means a lot."

Redheart returned the smile. "It's no problem at all, Ms. Belle," she said as they turned the corner, pink bun bouncing in time with her step. Finally, they came to a stop at a small wooden door, which matched all the other doors in the hospital exactly, save for the number 237 printed plainly on the sign next to the door. The nurse turned to face Sweetie Belle. "Now, before we go in, I must tell you to be careful with your sister. I know you'll be happy to see her, but she is very weak from blood loss and her treatment. Being too rough could cause her pain and dizziness, of which she's already endured enough."

"I understand, Ms. Redheart," Sweetie said, "may I go in now?"

The nurse gave her a sympathetic smile. "Certainly. Go on in."

Sweetie approached the door and slowly pushed it open, revealing a quaint, if a tad empty, hospital room. Despite the windows opposite of Sweetie, the room was bathed in the unnatural white of the hospital lights. To her right, a circular mirror hung above a tiny sink, both glinting under the ambient light. Under the windows was a small medical bed with dull blue sheets, its occupant half-obscured by the thin hospital curtains.

"R-rarity?" Sweetie's voice wavered.

For a moment, there was no response. Then a hoof reached out from behind the curtains and sluggishly pulled them back, revealing Sweetie Belle's beloved older sister.

"Hello, Sweetie Belle," Rarity said, her voice weak from pain, "I am so glad to see you're all right."

Sweetie Belle stood rooted in the doorway for a second, tears welling up anew, before she ran over to her sister and hugged her tightly. Rarity grimaced before returning the gesture, gently combing her little sister's mane as she sobbed into her neck, tears matting her traditionally pristine fur.

"I-I-I'm sorry, R-Rarity!" the distraught filly blubbered, "I'm j-just s-so worried about you! Y-you've been in so much pain! I s-should've been there to p-protect you! You were h-hurt, and I c-couldn't help you! I-I thought you were g-going to... to..." Sweetie let her implied fear float heavily in the air, hugging Rarity tighter. "It's my fault you're here, Sis. It's all my f-fault."

Tears began to flow from the dressmaker's eyes as well, powerless to resist them as her little sister shuddered with undeserved guilt and despair. "There, there, Sweetie..." Rarity whispered, "please, stop crying. I'm going to be perfectly fine." She gently lifted Sweetie's head and gazed sincerely into her emerald eyes. "It's not your fault, Sweetie. It was beyond your power to protect me. Plus: you were sick in the restroom, remember?" Sweetie grimaced, looking away. Rarity continued, unaware of the reaction. "And you did help me! You brought me straight to the hospital as soon as you saw me. Now that I think about it..." Rarity smiled gently, "I think I owe you thanks for saving my life! If you hadn't brought me here as fast as you did, I might be in a much more deplorable condition," she laughed good-naturedly. "I would've had to wear this tacky hospital getup for even longer." She tugged at the aquamarine gown, huffing at the drab article.

Sweetie Belle chuckled tiredly, cracking her first genuine smile since the accident. "Thanks, Sis... you have no idea how much you mean to me. Losing you would've been-" Sweetie paused, sighing, "never mind all that. I'm just relieved that my favorite sibling is ok..." she trailed off suddenly, smile fading. "But..."

The fashionista tilted her head. "Sweetie? Is something wrong?"

Sweetie shook her head, frowning briefly. "N-no, it's just..." she stammered. She looked at Rarity, smile hesitantly returning. "C-could we talk about this later? I'm treating us to ice cream at Sugarcube Corner."

Rarity's eyebrow rose for a split second before settling in with the rest of her happy demeanor. "Why, of course, Sweetie! I'd love to!" she said as she started to remove the sheets in an attempt to get up. The attempt ended quickly as Rarity gasped in pain, shuddering through the wave of nausea coursing through her body. "Oh, dear..."

Sweetie gasped and quickly moved to support her older sister. "Rarity, wait! Nurse Redheart said you're still weak! Here, lean on me," she said, positioning herself so that Rarity could lay a hoof across her back while she regained her strength. They stood by the bed for a short while, Sweetie offering words of encouragement and Rarity stubbornly reassuring her that she was fine.

Finally, Rarity cautiously removed her bandaged hoof from Sweetie's back and set in on the tiled floor. After a brief episode of wobbling in place, she began to stumble forward, limping heavily. The fashionista looked back at her little sister, an expression of confidence mixed with illness on her face. "Well, I hate to say it," she said, "but it looks like I told you so!" Smiling, Rarity gestured for Sweetie to follow her. "I appreciate your help, as always, Sweetie, but I'll be able to walk to Sugarcube Corner on my own. A lady must learn to endure pain, anyway. It builds character! Or at least that's what Father would have said, I suppose," she chuckled. "Now do come along before my legs give out!"

Sweetie grinned and began to follow her sister, who had paused to thank the nurse, out of the room. As she exited the room, Nurse Redheart cleared her throat to get her attention. "Ms. Belle? Could I talk to you before you catch up with Rarity? It will just be a moment," Redheart requested politely.

"Sure, Ms. Redheart," Sweetie stopped and turn to face the nurse. "What is it?"

Redheart was silent for a moment, studying the young mare's face before she nodded. "Thank you, Ms. Belle. I already talked with Rarity, but I just wanted you to know that she is supposed to take some medication - two pills - every night with her dinner for a minimum of three weeks. The medicine will essentially help to relieve some of her pain and make her sleep better. Your sister appears to be fine, but she's suffering from some emotional trauma, understandably," the nurse said, giving Sweetie an imploring look, "I just want you to make sure that she doesn't abuse the pills. Overdosing could result in some serious side effects. Can you do that for me?"

Sweetie Belle nodded. "Certainly, Ms. Redheart. I'll be sure to keep an eye on her. She means too much to me," Sweetie laughed weakly, "I wouldn't want to force her to wear your 'tacky hospital getup' again. Thanks again!" Sweetie turned to leave, but Redheart suddenly grabbed her shoulder. Sweetie looked back at the nurse, confused. "Ms. Redheart?"

"Ms. Belle, I'm not just worried about your sister," the nurse said, a concerned tone slipping into her voice, "we may not be more than casual acquaintances, but Rarity and I share a good friendship. She talks very highly of you. And thanks to our conversations, I can tell that this whole ordeal has drained you as well. Maybe more than Rarity, even," the nurse reached down and grabbed Sweetie's hoof, squeezing it gently. When she removed it, a small, orange bottle filled with red tablets remained in Sweetie's grasp. "Please, take one of these every other day. They should help you fight the terrible emotions and thoughts you must be enduring."

An uncomfortable silence hung like a traitor between the two mares as Sweetie Belle stared at the bottle for a moment, expression unreadable. After a short while, Sweetie's horn lit up, and she let her emerald-green magic float the bottle next to her chest.

"Sweetie Belle? Are you coming, dear?" called Rarity from around the corner.

Sweetie Belle was silent for a second. "Yes, Rarity! I'll be right there," she replied before looking back at the nurse. "Goodbye, Ms. Redheart," she said flatly, turning to walk back down the hall to meet her waiting sister.

"Remember to let me know if you need someone to lean on, Ms. Belle!" Ms. Redheart called after the retreating mare. Sweetie paused, twitching ears the only sign that she had heard the plea, before continuing on. The alabaster mare watched sadly as the burdened mare walked down the hallway. Shaking her head, she closed the door and headed back to her office.

--. .- - .... . .-. .. -. --.

"Ah!"

Sweetie Belle rubbed her temple, face scrunched in obvious discomfort. Her older sister giggled from across the table.

"Enjoying your ice cream, Sweetie Belle?" Rarity teased, spoon casually stirring her own frozen dessert, "or is the 'Bodacious Blueberry Blast' proving too much for my Ice Cream Queen?" she lifted a small bite of strawberry ice cream to her mouth and winked.

Sweetie Belle grimaced before chuckling along with her sister. "Of course not," she retorted playfully, "and I'm pretty sure you're the Ice Cream Queen. Need I remind you of 'Puppet Incident?'"

The fashionista gasped in mock surprise, raising her hoof to her chest. "Moi? The Queen of Ice Cream? Sweetie Belle, how could you?" she tossed her main, pointing her nose upward in an exaggerated show of disgust. "I am the very picture of moderation! A lady such as myself cannot allow herself to succumb to such base desires!"

The two siblings shared a look before bursting out into barely contained laughter. After their mirth died down, Sweetie looked at Rarity, face adopting a mask of relief. "You have no idea how much I missed you, Sis... it's good to have you back."

"And I missed you, Sweetie," Rarity said gently, smiling sweetly. However, after another bite of ice cream, her smile faded into a line of worry. "Oh dear!"

Sweetie's eyebrow rose. "What is it?"

Rarity leaned forward, touching her sister's shoulder. "Here you've been, fussing to the bone over me, and I haven't even apologized! I've caused you a lot of worry, Sweetie. And on your 17th birthday, no less!"

Sweetie shrugged off Rarity's hoof, offering a weak smile. "Eh... I'm fine. Just a little tired, is all. What's important is that you're okay. No need to apologize."

Rarity frowned. "No, you're not fine, Sweetie. I can tell. Not only have you been worrying about me all day, you had to miss the rest of your birthday concert! You had wanted to see the Countess so badly; you must be devastated!"

Sweetie's face fell as she mumbled something unintelligible. Looking away, she shrunk into her stool, as if she wished it would swallow her up.

The dressmaker continued, slightly misunderstanding Sweetie's reaction. "I must make it up to you!" she declared, a thoughtful hoof on her chin. "But how can I convince Rara to hold another concert here? Maybe I'll design another costume for her. Oh, I'll have to get - "

"I hate the Countess!"

Rarity blinked at the sudden outburst. "What?"

"I... I don't really like the Countess..." Sweetie repeated as she stared down at her forgotten ice cream, now melted into a sluggish blue lake. "I mean, I just..." she sighed, glancing up at her sister, "...don't really like her music."

A look of utter confusion was all she got in return.

Sweetie held up her hooves in a placating gesture. "Don't get me wrong, she's a very nice and talented musician! Her music just isn't what I'm into," she qualified as her sister continued to suffer from a bitter non-ice cream headache.

Rarity slowly leaned back into her seat. "You don't like Countess Coloratura?" she echoed, shaking her head, "I'm not sure I understand... I thought she was your favorite, Sweetie!"

The young mare shrugged. "Not really. Maybe when I was younger, but now..." Sweetie stirred her dessert, disturbing the thick surface with slow-moving ripples. "I'm interested in different things."

Still sputtering, Rarity fumbled to comprehend this shocking revelation. "B-but, you were so happy when I told you about the concert!"

Sweetie stopped stirring and looked straight at her sister. "I was faking it."

"Huh?" a wisp of betrayal flittered on the dressmaker's face.

"Look, I'm sorry, Rarity. I knew you had worked hard to arrange that concert, and that you were so excited to make my birthday special. I couldn't stand letting you down, so I pretended for your sake," Sweetie said, "Well, half-pretended. To know the lengths you had gone to to make me happy, well, made me happy! Plus, I just enjoyed hanging out with the Crusaders and my big Sis. So, in that sense, I was genuinely smiling." Shoulders sagging like a daisy in the desert, she took a shuddering sigh. "And thanks to my weakness, you got h-hurt. That's why I w-was in the restroom. I c-couldn't stand the music, so I lied again so I wouldn't have to l-listen to it anymore," Sweetie sniffed, eyes burning with more tears.

Conflicting emotions reigned for dominance on Rarity's face. "Sweetie... you should have let me know how you were feeling. I would have happily gotten you a different musician," she whispered, coming around the table to hug her sister. Sweetie readily returned the embrace, wrapping her forelegs tightly around Rarity's neck and burying her muzzle into her sister's fur while chocking back her sobs, not caring about the concerned looks of other ponies in the bakery. Eventually, Rarity pulled back and put her injured hoof under Sweetie's chin, applying a gentle pressure so that Sweetie tilted her head up to look at her. "What's important to me is that you're happy, Sweetie. A little misunderstanding shouldn't get in the way of that. You're the best sister a mare could ask for, and as such, you deserve only the best. So, please, if something's bothering you in the future, don't hesitate to let me know. Understand?"

Sweetie sniffed and nodded, smile hesitantly returning. "Y-yes, Rarity... thank you so much. I love you."

Rarity smiled back as an invisible weight was seemingly lifted. "And I love you, Sweetie," she said. Then she turned to look at her ice cream, which had decided to follow the example of Sweetie's dessert, swirling in a slow-motion reenactment of a whirlpool. "Seeing as our treats have melted, why don't we go home for now? I'm feeling a little worn out, and the doctors said I should get to bed early. Besides, I still want to make up your birthday to you; a visit to the hospital is not the proper way to celebrate! You can give me some ideas on the way there."

Sweetie's smile grew slightly. "I'd like that."

Their payment and generous tip left on the table, the two siblings began to make their way to the exit. Before they got there, a familiar ball of bright pink exploded through the doorway, screeching to a halt in front of the cash register. As it stopped, it began to take the unmistakable form of Pinkie Pie, her mane a mess of tangles and sweat, leaning over the counter. "Mrs. Cake!" she cried, grabbing the pudgy confectioner by the apron and yanking her close, "Was Rarity here? Is she still here? Where is she? This is a Code Pink Friendship Emergency! Answer me, Mrs. Cake! Answer me!" The normally bubbly earth pony hinged on desperation as she assaulted the poor baker with a wall of questions.

"P-P-Pinkie! C-c-calm d-d-d-down!" Mrs. Cake stuttered as Pinkie wildly shook her apron, "R-r-rarity is r-r-right b-b-b-behind y-you, d-dearie!"

The pink pony's head snapped back, eyes widening as she caught sight of surprised mare in question. Eyes filling with tears, she unceremoniously dropped Mrs. Cake, who huffed indignantly, and bolted over the Rarity, snapping her up in a breath-taking embrace. "Oh, Rarity, I'm so so so happy to see that you're okay! As soon as we heard what happened, we told Marble we had to go and hopped on the next train as fast as we could! Then the stupid train got held up for an hour at Manehattan because of engine trouble or something, which the engineers took forever to fix! When we finally got back, we ran to the hospital, but Nurse Redheart told us you had just left, so we ran back to Carousel Boutique, but you weren't there either, and then my Pinkie Sense told me to go home, so I ran over here because I thought Mrs. Cake might know where you were, and she told me you were behind me, and I saw you, and I... I..." Pinkie paused as she finally took another breath, "I was just so worried about you!"

"Pinkie... please..." Rarity gasped, "can't... breathe... you're... crushing me..."

"Oop! Sorry, Rarity!" Pinkie said, cheeks tinged red in embarrassment. She quickly set the grimacing mare back down and stepped out of her personal space. "I've been super-duper sad ever since we got the news and I super-duper wish I could've been there to cheer you up..."

Rarity smiled, waving a dismissive hoof as Sweetie readjusted her loosened bandages. "It's fine, Pinkie. I realize how worried you all must have been, and it warms my heart to know that my best friends care so much about me. I'm very happy to see you... just try not to hug me so hard next time, alright?" she grimaced as she gestured to Sweetie tightening a bandage wrapped around her midsection. "I am a tad... fragile right now."

Pinkie gasped and brought a hoof up to her mouth. "Oh no! I don't know how I didn't notice those before!" The bubbly mare bopped herself on the head with her hoof. "Stupid Pinkie! Bad girl! You promised yourself not to hug ponies that hard again unless you asked very politely first!" she sighed, looking cross. "I'm just gonna have to put you in timeout. No more after-midnight eclairs until you fix your attitude!"

Pinkie's eyes widened as she put her hooves together in a pleading gesture. "But - "

Pinkie held up a hoof to interrupt herself. "Nope! No 'buts!' Now apologize to Rarity before I take away your bedtime pudding too!"

Looking defeated, the party pony sighed sullenly. Glancing at Rarity, she bit her lip nervously. "I'm sorry for hugging you so hard, Rarity," she apologized, "can you forgive me?"

Rarity and Sweetie Belle stared back at Pinkie, wholly unsure of what had just transpired. After a moment of awkward silence, Rarity shook her head and chuckled. "You haven't done anything wrong, Pinkie. You don't need to be sorry," she said. Holding out a foreleg, she motioned Pinkie Pie closer. "Now, why don't we try this again?"

In typical Pinkie Pie fashion, the party planner rebounded from her shame in an instant, a wide grin warming her face. "Thank you so much, Rarity! You're the best friend ever!" Bounding forward, she embraced Rarity again while carefully avoiding a repeat mistake. The elegant mare hugged her back, happy to have a friend to lean on.

"Pinkie Pie! Slow down!"

The three mares turned to see five more panting ponies plod into the bakery, all of them looking worse for wear. As the group of friends entered, they collectively spotted Rarity.

"Girls!" Rarity beamed, "I'm so happy to see you!"

Upon Rarity's exclamation, they all let out cries of joy and relief and joined Pinkie Pie in a big group hug.

"Land sakes, Rarity! You gone an' scared me half to death! Are ya all right?" said Applejack as she removed her Stetson, concern etched into her freckled face.

"Of course I am, dear! Just some scratches, that's all. Nothing I can't handle," Rarity said confidently.

"Scratches?" Rainbow Dash said incredulously, her sky-blue wings beating lazily as she hovered in the air, "try full on gashes! I can't believe how well you're taking all this!" The self-assured pegasus cracked a grin. "You're even tougher than I thought, Rarity. Maybe even as tough as me!"

The fashion designer rolled her eyes and smiled appreciatively. "Why, thank you, Dash! That's high praise coming from you. I must be strong if a genuine Wonderbolt thinks I am!"

"You know it, sister," Dash replied, flipping her polychromatic mane. "You've got the official Wonderbolt Seal of Approval!"

"O-oh my goodness, I'm so relieved to see you're o-okay, Rarity," stammered Fluttershy behind her long pink mane, eyes wet with relief. "What you've gone through i-is too awful for me to imagine... if there's anything I can do to help..."

The fashionista hugged the shy butter-yellow pegasus again. "Thank you, Fluttershy. You being here is all I need..." she whispered.

"Ugh..."

Looking up from her embrace, Rarity noticed her magically advanced friend standing off to the side, grimacing and rubbing the base of her horn.

"Twilight? Is something wrong?"

Momentarily startled, Twilight Sparkle quickly removed her hoof from her horn and looked at Rarity, eyes clearly unfocused. "Uhh... um..." the alicorn shook her head, blinking a few times. "Oh! Sorry, Rarity. I've just been dealing with a little magic-induced headache since we visited Pinkie's sister. Nothing I'm unfamiliar with," she smiled unconvincingly, "I'll be fine."

Rarity's concern was not so easily assuaged. "Are you sure, Twilight? I may not be the Dean of Magic at New Ponyville University, but I know how horrendous magic headaches can be. They're not to be taken lightly."

Twilight waved a hoof, blushing slightly. "Really, it's nothing. I dealt with these every other week when I was still Celestia's protege. Besides, what you've been through is more important right now. I know you've heard it from everypony else already, but I am beyond relieved to see you recovering so quickly. I was a little distraught on the ride back."

Applejack suddenly coughed, drawing their attention. "A little distraught?" she said, cocking an eyebrow.

"Yeah, that's the understatement of the century," Rainbow Dash affirmed.

"Ooh! Ooh! Remember when Twilight grabbed Fluttershy and was all like - " Pinkie quickly ran a hoof over her mane, miraculously containing the untamable poof in an approximation of Twilight's mane, "'Stupid magic headache! Get out of my brain! We need to save Rarity before it's too late! Oh, this is all my fault! I knew I shouldn't have stayed up all night reading Thesis Of Mantras: an In-depth Examination and drinking espresso! Oh dear CELESTIA, it hurts! It HURTS!" Pinkie punctuated each impression with wild gesticulations, exaggerated facial expressions, and some inexplicably produced props.

Twilight's blush quickly consumed her cheeks as everypony chuckled at the surprisingly accurate recap. "Okay, I was very anxious. I was just frustrated that I couldn't teleport us all back here to help you. My headache was preventing me from performing even the most basic of spells."

Rarity smiled knowingly. "Oh, Twilight. It's nothing to be ashamed of. I'm flattered that you were that worked up over my well-being. Besides, we'll be able to look back on this and laugh. Pinkie's recollection was quite amusing."

Pinkie beamed proudly.

"Heh..." Twilight rubbed the back of her head uncomfortably, "thanks, Rarity. I hope you're right..." Quickly looking for a way to change topic, her eyes found Sweetie Belle, who had been standing silently off to the side and staring out of a window, almost invisible to the reunited friends. "Anyways, I hate to steer the conversation away from myself," she lied, "but how is your sister doing? She must be having trouble taking this all in."

Rarity frowned. "Actually, Twilight, I'm a little worried about her. She's been acting strangely since she picked me up from the hospital, even after both the hospital and I assured her I was going to be all right. I was wondering if you could recommend a thera-"

"I'm fine!"

All of the friends swiveled their heads to see Sweetie Belle looking at them indignantly. "I can hear you, you know. I appreciate your concern, but I'm fine. Really. I'm just tired, like I said before. I don't need any help, so please stop discussing my emotions behind my back." She turned to Rarity. "Can we go now? All of this hugging is going to ruin your bandages."

The mares turned back to Rarity, who smiled sheepishly. "I'd love to catch up some more, girls, but Sweetie's right. I really should go home and rest. Doctor's orders and all that," she said as she trotted over to her sister. "But I promise we'll get together later. Is that okay with all of you?"

A moment of deliberation, nodding, and well-wishing later, the two sisters set off into the late autumn air. Leaves clung to branches, the formerly colorful assortment of hues reduced to dull and washed-out browns and oranges fluttering in a chilling breeze. Flyers advertising a late Running of the Leaves populated nearly every flat surface. Off in the distance, pegasi on weather detail were preparing an especially heavy winter. They flew back and forth, herding a big group of dark clouds into an intimidating amalgam of grays and blacks, thick with the season's first snow. Shivering as a particularly cold breeze sliced through their fur, Rarity and Sweetie Belle picked up their pace.

Rarity, in an effort to distract herself from the dull ache spreading underneath her bandages, struck up a conversation. "So, Sweetie," she said, "I was wondering about you not liking the Countess. I feel simply terrible for not figuring it out myself. Please, tell me how long has this been going on, darling."

Keeping her head forward, Sweetie hummed. "I'd say since you signed me up for cello lessons with Octavia."

Rarity gasped. "But that was 4 years ago, Sweetie!"

Sweetie smiled awkwardly. "Yeah, sorry. I realize I should've told you. But I didn't fully admit to myself that Octavia had successfully converted me to the wonders of classical arrangements until fairly recently. Apple Bloom and Scootaloo still love her, so I thought I did too.

"One day at school, all Bloom and Scootaloo were talking about was the Countess' new single. I hadn't heard it yet, so they insisted that I absolutely had to hear it and that it was her best song ever. After the final bell, we rushed over Scootaloo's house to listen to it. I was able to convince myself that I was excited to hear it, but when they finally played it, I could barely take it. But, like with you, I couldn't disappoint my best friends, so I pretended to love it."

Rarity nodded, showing she was following along. Sweetie sighed, and continued.

"Her songs are just so... I don't know. Artificial. There's so much production and vocal editing in every song; it doesn't leave any room for substance. None of the instruments are real, the lyrics are shallow, and the melodies are bland. And even thought I appreciate her other music project, Rara, more, the chords are too predictable and repetitive for my liking. Classical music, on the other hoof..."

Sweetie's face adopted a dreamy look as her favorite pieces played in her head.

"Composers like Beethoofen and Haydn are my heroes now. The ways the revolutionized music in the Classical and Romantic eras inspires me more than the Countess ever could. They changed music. The way they weave their notes into melodies and harmonies is... perfect. The chord progression, the rhythm, everything... I could go on and on. And when I play my cello with Octavia, I feel like I'm connecting with them, like they're right there beside me, giving me the strength to play their songs..." Sweetie trailed off as she realized they had reached Carousel Boutique. "Whoops, looks like I got carried away..."

"Oh, Sweetie... I had no idea..."

Sweetie flushed with embarrassment. "I'm sorry, Sis. I wasted all of your planning and hard work because I was too scared to tell you the truth. I understand if you don't want to do anything for my birthday anymore..."

Rarity promptly pulled Sweetie into yet another hug. "Sweetie, of course I still want to celebrate your birthday; you're my sister. And I'm glad that you have new interests and passions. I love seeing you develop into your own mare. You need to know that I'll support you no matter what. You don't need to hide yourself from me. Let me be a part of your life again." She pulled back and gestured toward the door. "Now, why don't we go inside? You can give me a cello concert before I go to bed."

Sweetie grinned. "I'd love to."

- --- .--. / -- --- -.. . .-..

Countess Coloratura reclined on her lush velvet pillow, frowning.

"Spring Shower?"

The light pink pegasus who had been standing nervously to the left of the celebrity trembled. Turning, she spoke in a raspy, dried-out whisper. "Yes, Countess?"

"Be a good girl and fetch Svengallop. Quickly now, and I'll let you go backstage with me at my next performance."

Spring Shower eyes widened. "O-of course, Countess. It is my pleasure," she said, nodding eagerly. She bowed, frazzled purple mane touching the ground, before spinning and trotting happily out of the Countess' quarters, ignoring the mean glare the dark green stallion on the other side of the Countess shot her.

Shortly after, a white stallion in a full suit entered the room with a clipboard, followed by Spring Shower. "I found him, Countess!" she sang happily as she returned to her special place by the famous pony. "Just like you asked!"

"Well done, Spring Shower. You have earned your reward," said the Countess without so much as a glance in her direction, instead keeping her shrouded gaze on the stallion squirming before her. "Sven?"

The stallion gulped and ran a hoof through his short pink mane. His suit hung limply on his gaunt frame like an oversized raincoat, dark stains of sweat visible through the dark blue fabric. "Y-yes, Countess?" he stammered, nervously adjusting his tie and eyeing the Countess.

"Bring me the Ponyville Concert figures. I want to see the names of everypony who bought a ticket. Do not delay, and you will be rewarded. Disappoint, and you shall be punished," she said flatly before she looked away, her pristine mane flowing with a quality only matched by the Princesses. Sven's eyes tracked every beautiful wave, unblinking. Licking his lips, he bowed, his stare not leaving her.

"It shall be done, Countess. It is my greatest delight to fulfill your requests." He turned to leave.

"Sven?"

The stallion stopped and looked back over his shoulder.

"What is it, Countess?"

"Cancel my next performance."

"Are you sure, Countess?"

"Do not question me, Svengallop."

The stallion winced, sweat flooding his forehead. "Apologies, Countess. I will do as you wish. But may I ask why?"

The Countess smiled thinly.

"I'm returning to New Ponyville."

Author's Note:

This was originally going to be one chapter, but I've decided to break it up into two or three. This is so I could get your opinion on the story so far. I'm going to write the story regardless, but it'd be nice to know what everybody thinks before I devote more time to it. Tags will be added as the story progresses. As always, constructive criticism is appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

Comments ( 2 )

Interesting. I can't wait to find out why Coloratura is such a bitch, or why Rarity was lynched by the concert goers.

8570148
Thanks! I hope I can deliver a satisfying conclusion!

Login or register to comment