• Published 23rd Sep 2017
  • 8,034 Views, 444 Comments

Repercussions - shallow15



After Sunset Shimmer is attacked and put into a coma, her friends try to figure out who did it and why. (Not an Anon-A-Miss story)

  • ...
10
 444
 8,034

Hard Work

Twilight, seated in the back of Rarity's car next to Pinkie Pie, stared at Rarity and Rainbow Dash in the rear view mirror mounted on the windshield.

“Sunset actually outed her?” Shock was evident in her voice. Up front, Rarity and Rainbow exchanged glances.

“She told us later she had no idea that Gardenia had those preferences,” Rarity answered. “She apparently only wanted to spread the pregnancy rumor.”

“But that's... that's horrible! She had to have considered that it could cause problems for her beyond the dance election!”

“Back then, Sunset didn't really consider anything besides herself,” Rainbow said. “She admits she was a grade-A bitch.”

“And you all knew about the things she did?”

“Everyone did,” Pinkie said. “No one wanted to get on her bad side, because she always knew where to hit you where it hurt the most. And she always did it in a way that kept her from being punished for it.”

Twilight sat back in her seat and looked out the window. After a moment, Rarity looked at her in the rear view mirror.

“Twilight? Are you all right, darling?”

Twilight muttered something that was inaudible. Rarity and Rainbow exchanged a glance.

“What'd you say, Twi?” Rainbow asked. Twilight swallowed and looked up.

“How can you all be friends with her knowing she did that?” Twilight's voice was quiet. “That's one of the most despicable things I've ever heard anybody do. I just – I don't know how to feel about this.

“Maybe... maybe we should reconsider whether we actually should bring Sunset back.”

“What?!” Pinkie shrieked. Rarity opened her mouth to speak, then closed it again. She and Rainbow looked at each other. Rainbow nodded, and grabbed Rarity's phone. She dialed a number, while Rarity looked down the road for somewhere to pull off. She spotted a drive-in fast food joint, and signaled her intention to turn.

“AJ? Change of plan,” Rainbow said. “We're stopping at the Twisty-Freeze. We all need to talk.”

“What?” asked Twilight. She began playing with her hair, nervousness creeping into her voice. “What about Gardenia Glow?”

Rarity glanced up into the mirror again. Her expression was oddly neutral. “If that is what you truly believe about Sunset, Twilight, then I think she can wait until we deal with this.”


Eleven PM on a Friday night was usually when things were busy at the Twisty-Freeze Drive-In. People looking for late night snacks, whether it was burgers or milkshakes, coupled with the restaurant's two AM closing time, always resulted in plenty of customers who came and went.

Seated at one of the outdoor tables surrounding the main building of the drive-in, six friends, fortified with the ice cream based confection of their choice, prepared to have an uncomfortable conversation.

“Twilight, darling,” Rarity began. “Let me be clear right now that we are not upset with you. Given what we told you in the car, your reaction is only natural.”

“But what you just said... majorly uncool,” added Rainbow. Twilight swallowed again, and looked down at her milkshake, idly swirling her straw through it.

“I didn't mean it,” she said quietly. “I just don't know how you all can be friends with her knowing what she did. I know Princess Twilight asked you to help her after the Fall Formal, but somehow, becoming a demon and trying to conquer Equestria with a zombie army somehow seems less awful than what happened to Gardenia.”

“And Sunset would agree with you,” said Applejack, pointing with her plastic spoon. Twilight looked up, her expression perplexed.

“It took us almost three weeks to get Sunset to a place where she didn't feel completely overwhelmed by guilt,” said Fluttershy. “She spent a lot of time beating herself up over everything she had done since coming to Canterlot High. And even then, it wasn't until the sirens came when she actually believed she deserved any sort of forgiveness.”

“She spent those three weeks apologizing and trying to make up for everything she did. But Gardenia had graduated by then, and after her parents kicked her out, she just kind of vanished off the radar,” Rainbow continued.

“I didn't even know she was still in town until a short while back when her sister started at school this year,” said Pinkie.

Rarity took Twilight's hand. “Don't think it was easy for us either, darling. It took us nearly as long to truly see that Sunset was making a legitimate effort to change. And there were fights. Oh lord, were there fights.”

“I almost knocked her block off once,” admitted Applejack. “She tended to keep insultin' people when things didn't go the way she wanted. Made the mistake of sayin' somethin' about Apple Bloom.”

“It took me, Pinkie, and Rarity to hold her back.” Rainbow grinned. “She still kept trying to get at Sunset. Picture this: Me on AJ's left arm, Rarity on her right, and Pinkie getting dragged on the ground while she's hanging onto her left leg.”

Twilight let out a short laugh, then cut it off and blushed in embarrassment. Applejack gave her a small grin.

“Naw, go ahead and laugh. It was a funny image. Point is, after I calmed down, me and Sunset had a talk and worked things through.”

“We all had talks with her over that time,” Rarity elaborated. “We all had issues with how she acted before the Formal, and we had to work through them. It was hard, but it was worth it in the end.”

“But, I don't know if I can get past this,” said Twilight. “I know, intellectually, that she's changed, but if she did things like... that, I'm just so appalled that I don't even know what to do!”

Fluttershy finished sipping her slushie, and looked up at Twilight. “You do what we did. You talk to her about it.”

“When she wakes up, of course,” added Pinkie. “Because it'd be a really awkward conversation to have right now.”

“And if you still think you can't be friends with her after talking to her, that doesn't mean we'll stop being your friends,” said Rainbow. “That's not how we roll.”

“No one expects you to be okay with Sunset's past, Twilight,” Rarity finished. “We only want you to give Sunset a chance to show you that Sunset is gone and she truly isn't that person anymore. Do you think you can do that when we get her back?”

Twilight considered for a moment, stirring her shake with the straw again. She looked up at her friends. “I think I can do that.”

Pinkie cheered and hurled herself off the table into a flying tackle hug. Twilight yelped as Pinkie crashed into her, causing both to fall off the bench Twilight had been sitting on. After the surprise wore off, the entire group began laughing. Pinkie got off Twilight and helped here back up onto the bench.

“All right, now that we know what we're doing when Sunset finally wakes up, what about talking to Gardenia?” Rainbow asked.

Rarity looked at her phone and grimaced at the time. “I know I insisted on seeing her tonight, but given how late it is, I think I may have been hasty in that decision.”

“We could talk to her tomorrow,” Applejack said. “I'm free in the afternoon.”

“Same here,” said Rainbow.

“I'm closing at the boutique tomorrow,” said Rarity. “I won't be available after two o'clock.”

“We could still go talk to her.” Applejack tossed her cup into a nearby trash can. “I think RD and I can restrain ourselves for one conversation.”

She exchanged smiles with Rarity and Rainbow. Twilight cleared her throat.

“Um, would it be okay if I went with you? Maybe if I can hear how she was able to forgive Sunset, it might be helpful.”

“Sounds like a good idea, sugarcube. We'll pick you up around three. Will that work?”

“I think I can swing that,” Twilight answered.

“Yay for emotional and investigatorial progress!” cried Pinkie. She gestured to what was left of her gargantuan banana split. “Now, could somebody please help me finish this thing?”

There was no shortage of volunteers.