• Published 23rd Sep 2017
  • 8,019 Views, 444 Comments

Repercussions - shallow15



After Sunset Shimmer is attacked and put into a coma, her friends try to figure out who did it and why. (Not an Anon-A-Miss story)

  • ...
10
 444
 8,019

Moon Dancing

The last bell rang, freeing the students of Canterlot High for their much anticipated weekend. Plans were made. Groups of friends left the campus for after school fun. Club members got together for meetings.

Moondancer put her laptop into her shoulder bag, made sure she had her homework as well, then closed her locker. She jumped as she realized Rarity was waiting behind the open door.

“I'm so sorry, Moondancer,” Rarity smiled. “I was hoping to have a word with you before you took off for the weekend.”

“I don't have anything I want to say to you,” Moondancer turned and started walking away. Rarity frowned and hurried to catch up to her. Moondancer spotted her out of the corner of her eye and sighed.

“I understand you want answers about Sunset, but I can't give them to you.”

“Perhaps not,” said Rarity. “But we won't know that unless we talk, won't we?”

Moondancer sighed again. “I don't like Sunset Shimmer. And I don't believe she's changed as much as everyone thinks.”

“And that justifies you sending threats involving baseball bats and her skull?” Rarity made sure to keep any accusation out of her voice. Sadly, it didn't work.

“I'm sure Pinkie Pie told you, I don't believe in violence. I just wanted her to understand that not everyone is buying her act.”

Moondancer came to stop as Rarity's hand shot out in front of her, holding the sheaf of emails.

“I believe that message was adequately received.” Rarity's expression was cold. Moondancer blinked and she began skimming the emails.

“Oh... Oh, dear. These... wow.” Moondancer's eyes widened. “This is just –“

“Disgusting? I agree,” Rarity finished. All the lightness had gone out of her voice. “So, with that in mind, would you care to account for your whereabouts the night Sunset was attacked?”

“I was at home,” Moondancer replied before she realized she had started talking. “I did my homework, surfed the internet for a while, and went to bed.”

Rarity quirked an eyebrow. “Not exactly vindication, you must admit.”

Moondancer sighed. “No. But it's the truth.”

The two of them exited the school and headed for the student parking lot. Rarity took the emails back from Moondancer and tried a different tack. “What about last night around 10:30?”

“Same thing, I'm afraid,” Moondancer answered. She reached into her pocket and pulled out her car keys. “I know this doesn't clear me, and it's really not all that helpful. But I didn't do anything to Sunset, or anyone else.”

Rarity sighed. “I wish I could believe you, Moondancer. Truly, I do.”

“I know,” Moondancer opened her car door and climbed inside. She started the car and rolled down the window. “I didn't realize so many people were doing the same thing I was. It was wrong. Very wrong.”

“Then the question is, what are you going to do about it?” Rarity said, folding her arms. Moondancer looked down at her steering wheel for a moment, then back up at Rarity.

“I don't know yet. But I'll think of something. I promise.”

Rarity nodded and stepped back, allowing Moondancer to back out of the parking space and leave the parking lot. She huffed in frustration, and pulled out her phone.

“Applejack? Yes, I talked to her. Not well, I'm afraid. No, no, she was very forthcoming, it's just her alibi is useless. She says she was at home when Sunset and Pepperdance were attacked.”

Rarity listened for a bit, and her eyes widened. “Oh, for the love of – No, I didn't. I should have asked her where she was while we were at the mall. It would have been much easier to confirm her alibi that way! I am such an idiot.”

Rarity trudged her way over to her car. “I guess we'll have to ask her about it on Monday. Unless we can find her somewhere around town this weekend. Oh! I'll ask Pinkie! She should know where she lives or works or something. Right, right. Sorry. Got a bit carried away. Yes, you and Fluttershy head for the hospital. I need to pick up Pinkie and go check on Rainbow Dash. Hopefully, we'll be there in a couple of hours. Right. Talk to you later.”

Rarity reached her car, got in, and started it. She drove around to the front of the school. As she pulled up to the curb, she saw Pinkie trudging down the sidewalk. The pink girl's hair was limp and lifeless.

Definitely not a good sign. Rarity thought. She drove forward and rolled down the passenger side window.

“Pinkie!”

Pinkie looked towards the car. “Oh, hi, Rarity.”

“Did you forget we were supposed to go see Rainbow Dash after school?”

“Huh? Oh, yeah. Okay.”

Rarity stopped the car, and leaned over to open the passenger door. Pinkie slid inside and closed the door, before latching her seat belt. Rarity looked at her, concerned, before driving off campus.

“Pinkie, is something wrong? You haven't seemed like yourself today.”

“I'm fine,” Pinkie said. She had her chin resting on her hand and idly looked out the window at the passing scenery.

“You most certainly are not,” Rarity said firmly. “You and Rainbow had a terrible night last night and – “

“A terrible night?” Pinkie repeated. She turned to look at Rarity, her expression dark. “A terrible night?!”

Rarity gulped, the harshness in Pinkie's voice taking her by surprise. Pinkie's voice became louder as she spoke.

“It was the worst night of my life! I had to stand there and watch as that – that – witch hurt Pepperdance and we couldn't do anything to stop her. Then, I had to see Rainbow Dash crumble into tears and hold her hurt friend, and there was nothing I could do to stop that! I couldn't do anything, Rarity! Nothing but hold Rainbow while we waited for help. She was crying! Rainbow doesn't cry! And I couldn't do anything to help her! What good am I if I can't help my friends?”

Pinkie finally broke down and started bawling uncontrollably, burying her face in her hands. Rarity quickly pulled the car over and unbuckled her seat belt. She leaned over and hugged Pinkie Pie tightly.

“Now, you listen to me, Pinkamena Diane Pie,” she began, pulling back so she could look at Pinkie's tear streaked face. “You did nothing wrong. Rainbow Dash did nothing wrong. You both did everything you could to save Pepperdance.”

“B-but it wasn't enough!” Pinkie's eyes began to tear up again. Rarity nodded solemnly.

“Yes, but we're also up against someone who doesn't play fair, and has absolutely no scruples. Frankly, while all three of you getting through last night unscathed would have been ideal, I certainly am glad both you and Rainbow managed to make it through. And, without you two, I might add, Pepperdance may be in a worse condition than she is right now.”

Rarity produced a handkerchief and wiped Pinkie's eyes. She leaned in close for another hug. “You may not have kept her from getting hurt, but you just might have prevented her from being killed. And that is nothing to be ashamed of.”

Pinkie sniffled and gave Rarity a small smile. Her hair began to slowly poof back up to its normal mass of unmanageable curls. She shot forward and gave Rarity a rib-crunching hug of her own.

“Thanks, Rarity.”

“You're welcome,” Rarity extricated herself from Pinkie embrace and refastened her seat belt. “Now, let's go help Rainbow Dash realize the same thing, shall we?”

“You betcha!” Pinkie sat back in her seat, her hair and herself back to normal. Rarity smiled and started the car.