• Published 23rd Sep 2017
  • 7,960 Views, 444 Comments

Repercussions - shallow15



After Sunset Shimmer is attacked and put into a coma, her friends try to figure out who did it and why. (Not an Anon-A-Miss story)

  • ...
10
 444
 7,960

Medical Assessments

“You should consider yourself very lucky, young lady,” Dr. Cross said as he shined a penlight into each of Sunset's eyes. Her pupils responded normally, contracting as the light hit them. “Being abducted like that just after you came out of your coma could have caused serious damage.”

He put the penlight away. “Well, I'm happy to say everything looks to be fine, and I think you'll be leaving us soon. Tomorrow, I'd say.”

Sunset smiled. “Thank you, Dr. Cross. I'm looking forward to going home. Um, how are my friends?”

Dr. Cross smiled. “I figured you'd ask, so I made some inquiries. Miss Pie's already been treated and released. Her arm was broken, of course, but it was a clean break and easily reset. Judging from her attitude, I'm sure she's out collecting signatures on her cast right now.”

“Knowing Pinkie Pie, she probably already has half the staff's names on it.” Sunset's expression turned serious. “What about Rarity?”

The doctor's face fell. “Yes. Obviously her injuries were more severe. A great deal of swelling in her back muscles and some trauma to her brain. The good news is there was no actual damage to her spinal cord, so a full recovery is possible. For now, she'll have to get around in a wheelchair, but with time and physical therapy, she should be up and around in a few months. A year at the outside.”

Sunset looked at her hands. The doctor noticed her sorrowful expression. “Are you all right?”

Sunset looked up. “Huh? Oh, yeah. I'm fine. Can I see her before I head back to my room?”

“Certainly. I think we're done here for now. I'll give you another once over tomorrow before you're released.”

Sunset got off the examination table and put on the robe and slippers Applejack and Fluttershy had brought from her apartment. Dr. Cross opened the door and escorted her to the elevator.

“She's in room 520. I'll call up to the nurse's station to let them know you're coming.”

“Thanks, Dr. Cross.”

The doctor smiled and let Sunset board the elevator. Sunset pushed the button for the fifth floor. She got off when the elevator stopped, checked in at the nurse's station and made her way to Rarity's room.

Rarity was sitting up in bed, her red framed reading glasses on, stitching some cloth together. She was humming softly to herself. Sunset smiled and knocked on the open door.

Rarity looked up and smiled brightly. “Sunset, darling! Come in, come in!”

Sunset grabbed a nearby chair and brought it over to the side of the bed. “How are you feeling?”

“Well, aside from the obvious, just fine.”

Sunset nodded. “Dr. Cross told me there's no spinal damage, just some trauma. He says you'll have to go through physical therapy.”

Rarity quirked an eyebrow. “'Have to?' Oh no, try 'already going through.' I know it's for the best, and he's very supportive, but I suspect Tough Love is secretly a sadist and enjoys seeing me in such distress.”

“The whining didn't work, huh?”

“Not in the least,” Rarity deadpanned. The two girls laughed. “How about you, darling? What's the prognosis?”

“They're sending me home tomorrow. What about you?”

“Another day or two. Mother and Father are getting things set up for me to live in the downstairs guest room for now. I'm also trying to figure out how to get around in that blasted thing with any sort of grace.”

She nodded to the wheelchair sitting on the other side of the bed. Sunset looked over at it, then down at the floor. Rarity noticed Sunset's expression and took off her glasses.

“This isn't your fault, Sunset.”

Sunset looked up at the statement. “What?”

Rarity gestured to herself. “This. Firecracker Burst. Everything that's happened over the last week. It isn't your fault.”

“I know,” Sunset said. Her right hand grabbed her left elbow in a pose that Rarity knew was a sign that Sunset didn't really believe herself. “I just... I wish we could have saved her. She didn't deserve to go out like that. The magic corrupted her, turned her anger into something she couldn't control.”

Sunset sighed. “If I hadn't done what I did to Gardenia Glow, none of this would have happened.”

“Maybe,” Rarity said, “But you can't shoulder all the blame yourself. Gardenia's parents made the situation worse when they threw her out. Firecracker let her hate and anger build to this point. The magic just gave her the power to do something about it. While you may be somewhat, and I emphasize 'somewhat,' responsible for starting things, it wasn't your choices alone that caused all this to happen.”

Sunset nodded. “I know. It'll just take time for me to accept that, and to forgive myself for this on top of everything else.”

Rarity opened her mouth to reply when another knock came at the door. Both girls looked up to see a handsome muscular man dressed in scrubs standing in the doorway.

“Sorry to interrupt, but this one,” He gestured at Rarity. “Has another physical therapy session she's due for.”

“Oh, lovely,” Rarity said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. “Sunset, I'd like you to meet the current bane of my existence, Tough Love. Tough Love, Sunset Shimmer.”

“Pleasure,” Tough Love said, smiling. He turned to Rarity. “All right, you, into the chair. Today we're working on those leg muscles of yours.”

“Unbounded be my joy.” Rarity pulled the covers back and turned to Sunset. “Sunset, darling, would you mind pushing my chair a little closer to the bed? This ruffian is just evil enough to make me try to grab it myself, and won't do a thing to help me unless I fall flat on my face... which he will undoubtedly bring up constantly during our session.”

“Now you know that's not true,” Tough Love rebutted, smiling. “You were the one who insisted on getting the chair yourself yesterday. I just helped you up after you wound up hanging halfway off the bed.”

“I did no such thing, you sadist!” Rarity huffed, folding her arms. Sunset laughed and got up. She walked around the bed and brought the wheelchair closer, locking the wheels.

“You sure you don't want help?” Sunset asked as Rarity maneuvered herself over to the edge of the bed.

“And give the Marquis de Medicine Ball over there more ammunition? I think not!”

It took a couple of minutes, but Rarity managed to transfer herself from the bed to the chair with a minimum of problems. When she was settled, Tough Love came over and helped set up the chair's footrests, placing Rarity's feet on them and fastening the velcro straps. He unlocked the wheels and got into position behind Rarity. As he was about to start pushing, Rarity held up a hand and looked at Sunset.

“I know you already know this, but I think you need to hear it anyway. I don't blame you for what happened to me, Sunset. I'm just thankful I'm still here for you and the girls when you need me. Remember what I said that first night you slept over?”

Sunset nodded. “I don't think I'll ever forget it.”

“Then you know that I will beat this and get back to where I was. And I expect you and the other girls to be there by my side the entire way. I will accept nothing less than your unconditional support and sympathy. Lord knows I won't get it from this brute.”

Rarity threw a hand up and lightly slapped Tough Love's bicep. The therapist grinned.

“Keep that up, and you aren't getting a massage when we're done today.”

Rarity turned her head to look up at him. “You, sir, are a dirty cheat. You're lucky those hands of yours are miracle workers. Very well, let's get on with the torture, shall we?”

“Let's.” Tough Love began pushing the chair again. Sunset followed them out into the hallway.

“Let me know when they say they're going to release you tomorrow,” Rarity said. “I'll see if I can convince this torture-happy but semi-charismatic gorilla here to let me visit before he puts me on the rack, or in the Iron Maiden, or whatever hellish device he has in store for me.”

“I'm partial to the Catherine Wheel, myself,” Tough Love replied. “But I don't think you're up to that yet.”

“Try me,” Rarity smirked. “I can take whatever you dish out.”

“I have no doubt.”

“Oh, a complement.” Rarity looked over at Sunset and stage-whispered. “He's just trying to lull me into a false sense of security. He must have something truly barbaric waiting for me downstairs.”

“I almost wish I could follow you down to see that,” Sunset replied with a grin.

Rarity gave a mock gasp and threw her head back, putting the back of her hand on her forehead. “Abandoned in my hour of need! Curse you and your damnable fickleness, Sunset Shimmer!”

“Hey, I'm reformed, not a saint.”

The two girls giggled as they came to a stop in front of the elevator. Sunset hit the “down” button.

“In all seriousness,” Rarity began, taking Sunset's hand. “I want you to remember that none of this is your fault. That was the old you, and that person is long gone. Don't punish yourself for something you've already been forgiven for.”

Sunset blinked. “What?”

“The email forgiving you in your scrapbook, darling. Beachberry figured out where it came from. Gardenia Glow sent it.”

Sunset stared at her friend. Rarity gave her a bright smile.

“Maybe you should see her for yourself. Twilight, Rainbow, and Applejack know where she lives. Get some closure, darling. More than anyone I know, I think you need it.”

The elevator doors opened and Tough Love wheeled Rarity inside. Sunset followed.

“Fourth floor, please,” she said to Tough Love. He nodded and hit the appropriate button before hitting the button for the second floor. As the elevator descended, Sunset reached over and gave Rarity a hug.

“Thanks,” she said. Rarity smiled and hugged her again. The elevator stopped on the fourth floor and the doors opened. Sunset stepped out and waved goodbye to Rarity. As the door closed, Rarity's hand shot out and hit the “Door open” button.

“Oh! I almost forgot. Stop by my house on your way home. Your journal to Princess Twilight is there. Let her know what's happened, won't you? I promised to keep her updated, but obviously that hasn't happened for the last couple of days.”

Sunset nodded. “Will do.”

Rarity nodded back, then looked up at Tough Love. “All right, I suppose I've kept you from your fun long enough. To the depths of hell with us, you amiable lunatic.”

“Is she always like this?” Tough Love asked Sunset.

“Only on days that end in 'Y,'” Sunset replied. Tough Love let out a theatrical groan.

“Just my luck.”

Sunset laughed as the doors closed. She turned and began making her way back to her room. She had some calls to make.

Inside the elevator, Tough Love looked down at Rarity. “'Princess Twilight?'”

Rarity didn't look at him. “Something far too complex for a glutton of misery like yourself to understand.”

Tough Love smirked. “Just for that, I'm putting the fifteen pound weights on your ankles this time.”

Now Rarity did look up, giving her therapist a defiant grin. “Oh, it. Is. On!”

Author's Note:

I like falling action, so the last few chapters will be addressing a few dangling plot threads left in this story.