• Published 23rd Sep 2017
  • 8,018 Views, 444 Comments

Repercussions - shallow15



After Sunset Shimmer is attacked and put into a coma, her friends try to figure out who did it and why. (Not an Anon-A-Miss story)

  • ...
10
 444
 8,018

Fading Light

The giant flock of birds hurtled down from the sky toward Firecracker Burst. Firecracker clenched her fists, charged up her magic, and hurled several bolts towards the incoming attack. The magical lightning streaked through the air, heading straight for the birds at the forefront of the cloud.

Fluttershy's eyes widened. “Split!” she cried.

The flock split off into two smaller flocks, allowing the lightning to pass between them. The flock reformed and hurtled down towards Firecracker, who instinctively threw her hands up in front of her face to protect from the incoming volley of beaks and talons.

Which is why she didn't see the horde of dogs and cats that came barreling out of the darkness behind the goalpost. The majority of these were large breed dogs which provided more than enough mass to knock Firecracker off her feet, sending her to the ground yet again. The flock of birds pulled up sharply, rocketing back into the sky. The dogs and cats continued running, vanishing back into the darkness.

Seeing Firecracker fall, Rainbow gently laid Applejack down, raced across the field and leaped onto Firecracker, using her full weight to keep the deranged girl from getting up. Firecracker struggled to get up, but Rainbow grabbed her hands and forced them to the ground. She looked over her shoulder.

“I could use some help over here!”

Rarity called up to Fluttershy, who was descending from the sky. “Look after Pinkie and Applejack! Be ready to call your friends in again if we need them.”

Fluttershy nodded and landed on the field. She grabbed Applejack under the arms and began dragging the unconscious girl over to where Pinkie was still lying on the ground. She looked over toward the bleachers, where Moondancer was staring in shock at everything that was going on.

“Moondancer!” she called. Moondancer looked up sharply. “Go!”

“I can't leave Sunset!” Moondancer called back.

“We'll take care of her! You need to leave! Now! It's too dangerous! Get help!”

Moondancer swallowed, then gently lifted Sunset's head off her lap and slid out from under the unconscious girl. As she got up to go, she saw a pulsing red light shining on her. She looked down, confused, and saw the pendant around Sunset's neck was flashing brightly.

“Fluttershy!”

The yellow girl had put Applejack down next to Pinkie and was working on laying Pinkie out on her back. She looked up at the sound of Moondancer's cry.

“The pendant!” Moondancer yelled, pointing at her neck. Fluttershy blinked and looked down. Sure enough, her own pendant was flashing with yellow magic, as were Applejack's and Pinkie's pendants in orange and pink, respectively. Her eyes widened and she flew over to the bleachers, landing next to Moondancer.

“Help me,” Fluttershy said, grabbing Sunset's feet. “We need to get her closer to the others!”

Moondancer nodded and grabbed Sunset under her arms. The two girls lifted Sunset and slowly began hauling her towards Applejack and Pinkie Pie.


Firecracker strained her upper body against Rainbow's weight then reared her head back and brought in forward, connecting with Rainbow's skull with a loud crack. Rainbow cried out in pain and her hands flew to her head. Firecracker blasted the athlete with another bolt of magic. Rainbow flew into the the air, and landed painfully on her injured back.

Twilight and Rarity rushed over. They helped their friend into a sitting position.

“I'm okay,” Rainbow groaned. “Help me up.”

The three girls got to their feet. Firecracker stood opposite them, her shoulders heaving, hissing breath between her teeth. Her face was twisted into a mask of rage. A pink glow began to form around her body in a bright aura.

Twilight swallowed. “That can't be good.”

Rarity didn't reply. She hurled more crystals toward Firecracker, which wrapped around her and locked, pinning her arms to her side. The pink aura surrounding the taller girl began to burn with brighter intensity. A growl developed in Firecracker's throat which grew into an inarticulate scream of anger. The aura exploded into pink flames, shattering Rarity's crystals. The resulting shock wave threw the three girls into the air, bringing them crashing down near Applejack and Pinkie.

“What do we do now?” Rainbow asked. “I'm out of ideas!”

“I don't know! Everything we're doing is making her angrier and that's just increasing her power!” Rarity cried.

Twilight swallowed as a dark thought came to her. “We're going to die tonight, aren't we?”

Rainbow frowned and was about to speak, when all three girls' pendants began to pulse with magical light. The three looked down in surprise, then looked up at each other. They nodded and began to run back to the rest of their friends.

Firecracker screamed and fired more bolts of lightning at them. The girls dodged and weaved trying to avoid being hit. A massive bolt struck right behind them, sending up a cloud of dirt and sod. The three flew into the air. Rainbow quickly recovered and flapped her wings. She swerved in the air, grabbing Rarity and Twilight's wrists before bringing all three of them down next to their two unconscious friends. Fluttershy and Moondancer arrived and laid Sunset down.

As soon as Sunset was down, multicolored lines of magic shot out from each of the pendants, eliciting cries of surprise from the girls. The seven lines converged in the air before them, then quickly formed a rainbow that shot out directly toward Firecracker Burst. The multicolored light struck her and Firecracker let out a scream as the girls' magic reacted with her own.

“I think it's working!” Twilight cheered. The other girls watched, hoping that the tide had turned in their favor.

Hope that was short lived when the rainbow magic was absorbed by the pink aura surrounding Firecracker. Firecracker's scream turned to laughter as she suddenly grew another foot in height. The pink aura receded and reformed into giant ragged wings. Her fingernails grew and changed becoming purple claws. Her eyes turned into blazing pits of pink magic. Her laughter was completely manic and unhinged. She turned an insane grin on the girls.

“Not again!” Rainbow cried.

“What are we going to do?” Fluttershy asked. “Is there anything we can do?”

“Yes,” came a quiet voice.

Rainbow, Twilight, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Moondancer all looked down in surprise. Sunset Shimmer's eyes opened and she slowly sat up. Rarity put a hand on her shoulder.

“Sunset, darling, stay down. You need rest.”

Sunset gave her a crooked smile and put her hand on Rarity's. “I've been resting long enough. I need to do something. This is my fault. It's my responsibility.”

Sunset groaned and staggered slightly as she got to her feet. Her friends, even Moondancer, rushed to support her. Sunset smiled at them and gently pushed their hands away. Rainbow put her hand on Sunset's shoulder.

“You can't stop her by yourself! She's already taken out Applejack and Pinkie Pie! What are you going to do?”

Sunset touched Rainbow's hand and she gave her a small smile. A calm, confident smile.

“I'm going to talk to her.”

Author's Note:

What? You really thought Fluttershy would have put her bird friends in danger without a plan?