• Published 23rd Sep 2017
  • 8,026 Views, 444 Comments

Repercussions - shallow15



After Sunset Shimmer is attacked and put into a coma, her friends try to figure out who did it and why. (Not an Anon-A-Miss story)

  • ...
10
 444
 8,026

Mall Magic

As Rarity and Twilight waited outside the west entrance to the school for Rainbow Dash, Rarity's phone began to ring. Rarity picked it up and frowned at the unfamiliar number. She and Twilight exchanged a concerned glance before Rarity swiped the screen to answer.

“Hello?”

“Hello, Rarity. It's Miss Bookbinder.”

“Oh! Hello, Miss Bookbinder,” Rarity said, relaxing.

“I wanted to let you know that the doctor has transferred Sunset out of Intensive Care to a regular room and will allow her visitors starting tomorrow,” said the landlady. “I thought you and your friends would like to know.”

“Oh, yes, that's good to know. Has there been any change in her condition?”

“Unfortunately not. She's still unresponsive, but they performed an MRI and they've confirmed there's no brain damage, so that's something. I'll be sticking around here for a while longer, but then I'll be going home. If there's any change, I'll be sure to let you know.”

“Of course. Thank you so much, Miss Bookbinder.”

“You're very welcome, Rarity. Good-bye.”

“Good-bye.” Rarity ended the call and turned to Twilight, who was looking at her with wide eyed expectation. “Sunset's been moved to a regular room. We can start visiting tomorrow.”

“Well, that's good,” said Twilight. “Any changes?”

“No, she's still non-responsive. Which means we need to get to work as soon as possible.”

Rarity turned in her seat to look out the car windows. She sighed through her teeth. “Where IS Rainbow Dash?”

The back door opened on the opposite side from where Rarity was looking, and Rainbow slid into the back seat. “I'm right here! Hold your horses!”

“You should have been here ten minutes ago,” Rarity said, starting the car.

“I had to help gather up the sports equipment!”

“Could we please not fight right now?” Twilight asked. “We have more important things to worry about.”

“Yes, you're right. Good point, darling,” Rarity said. “Will you need long to get your equipment?”

“Ten minutes tops,” Twilight answered. “I gathered it all together this morning before school.”

“Then what are we waiting for?” Rainbow asked, leaning forward. “Put the pedal to the medal, Rares!”

Rarity smirked and slammed down on the gas pedal just long enough to cause Rainbow to be thrust back into the backseat, causing the athlete to let out a shriek and a curse. Twilight and Rarity giggled.


Twilight pulled her latest magic detecting gizmo out of the small bag she had picked up from her house. Rarity recognized part of it as the pendant Twilight had used at the Friendship Games, but the rest of it was a complete mishmash of who knew how many different electronic components.

Twilight noticed her confused look and smiled. “Yeah, I tweaked the anomaly detector after the whole thing with Juniper. I figured it might help if any more magic started manifesting around town.”

“I assume it doesn't randomly absorb magic and rip open the fabric of reality now?” Rarity smiled. Twilight gave her a look, then pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose using a particular finger. Rarity couldn't help but laugh.

“No, it doesn't do that anymore,” Twilight answered. “Right now, it has a really limited range, but I'm hoping eventually I can boost the power to locate wherever the magic is coming from.”

Twilight touched the center of the anomaly detector, which came to life. The small touch screen in the center displayed a six pointed star and the LEDs surrounding the circumference began lighting in sequence. Surrounding the detector was a frame which seemed to be made from two video game controllers and possibly a windowless microwave oven door.


Twilight tapped a couple of buttons, flicked a control stick and smiled as the star display began to pulsate. “Okay, we're up and running. Where did you find Sunset?”

Rarity led her friend over to the alley leading to the access corridors. Twilight began scanning the area with her device. Rarity kept an eye out, unsure if they were actually allowed to be here. She caught sight of a security camera above the door, a red light under the lens glowing brightly.

“Twilight, darling,” she began. “How long do you think this will take? I don't know if we're allowed to be here.”

“Shouldn't take too long. If there's any sort of residual magic, I should get a reading – ah ha!”

Twilight stood up from where she'd been crouching. The purple six pointed star had turned into an undulating pink line, and the LEDs were now all flashing simultaneously. “Got it! Now all I have to do is scan our suspects and if they give off the same reading we'll know they've been in contact with the – what?”

The “what?” was because the detector let out a loud chirp and the LED's went dark for a split second, before one began flashing on its own.

“I've seen it do that before,” Rarity said. “It's indicating magic it's detected, isn't it?”

“Yes, but I didn't expect it to start doing it right away.” Twilight looked in the direction the light indicated. “It looks like it's coming from inside the mall.”

“Well, let's not risk any unfortunate encounters with security,” Rarity pulled out her phone and dialed a number. “The food court entrance is around the corner. Let's meet up – Rainbow? Twilight's magic detector has picked up a signal. It's coming from inside the mall. Do you see anyone we know?”

“Oh yeah, I do,” Rainbow replied. “I just saw Beachberry leaving the Steakery Shack. You think it might be her?”

Rarity took Twilight's arm and half dragged her out of the alley way. “Perhaps, but Pinkie did say that she has an after school job here. Follow her and we'll catch up to you.”


“Check,” Rainbow said. She began walking quickly out of the food court, trying to keep Beachberry in sight without her quarry spotting her. She ducked and dodged behind several kiosks, information signs, and other mall patrons, getting a few dirty looks in the process.

“She's heading down the south hall,” she said into her phone.

“We're right behind you, darling,” Rarity replied. “Don't lose her.”

Rainbow made a few more less-than-subtle attempts at concealment, before stopping behind an information display. She looked around the corner and saw Beachberry stop in front of Nobody Loves Me. The tri-toned girl reached into her bag, pulled out a name tag and pinned it to her shirt before going inside.

Rarity and Twilight caught up to her.

“Well?” Rarity asked.

“She just went into Nobody Loves Me. Looks like she was just going to work,” Rainbow answered.

“Well,” Twilight was looking at the detector. The light was flashing so fast that it was almost solid again and it was pointing right at the store. “The readings are definitely coming from that store. Maybe if I go in by myself and act casual we could – “

Twilight was cut off as an ear piercing shriek came from the store. The three girls quickly looked around the corner of the sign to see an explosion of pink light, and a split second later, the form of Beachberry flying backwards through the air and crashing into the window of the store opposite. The glass held, but Beachberry bounced off and crashed to the floor.

Rainbow moved to go to the fallen girl, but Rarity instinctively grabbed her arm. This proved to be a wise move as a tall woman, nearly seven feet in height, dressed in a black overcoat and floppy brimmed hat strode out of the store and stood over Beachberry's unmoving form.

All three girls' eyes widened when the woman raised a hand and pink lightning began swarming over her palm and up her fingers like a Jacob's Ladder. Near her throat, they saw a glowing pink light.

“It's her!” Rainbow cried. She broke Rarity's grip and dashed out from behind the sign. “Hey, you! Leave her alone!”

The woman looked up. The upper part of her face was obscured by the brim of the hat, but Rainbow saw her lips curl up into a sneer. The woman quickly turned and began running down the hall, throwing magical lightning to force the assorted shoppers to panic.

“Oh, no, you don't!” Rainbow gripped the geode around her neck. There was a flash of blue light and she took off after the woman, leaving a multicolored afterimage behind her. The chase was on.

Author's Note:

Enough talk for now! Action time!