• Published 10th Sep 2017
  • 2,814 Views, 10 Comments

Rarity's Canterlot Wedding - Stellar Wind



An alternate telling of A Canterlot Wedding with a different pony as the bride.

  • ...
8
 10
 2,814

Part 2

It began with green fire.

Shining Armor’s horn lit and the green flames surrounded Twilight. A force, an irresistible magical force, pulled Twilight down, down, down through the floor. As she phased into the stone beneath her, all she could see was green fire… green fire and an evil grin on her brother’s face before he turned away and left her to her fate.

Then came darkness.

After what felt like an eternity of falling, Twilight felt the magic release her. She dropped roughly onto a cold, flat surface.

And then it was over.

The darkness was pure pitch. She couldn’t even see her own hooves.

After taking a moment to catch her breath, Twilight lit a small light at the tip of her horn and called into the dark. “Hello?”

Her voice bounced around her. Wherever she was, the echos indicated that the chamber was not large. She got up and took a few cautious steps forward. “Is anyone there?”

Wham. She ran into a cold, hard surface. She stared at… herself?

It was her reflection. The walls of the chamber were like glass or crystal… or a some kind of rock-face smoothed to a perfect sheen...

Laughter in the distance. Evil, mocking laughter.

“Where am I?” Twilight called into the darkness.

Where once there was her own reflection, an image of her brother appeared, tinted with green. “The caves beneath Canterlot, once home to greedy unicorns who wanted to claim the gems that could be found inside.” His voice echoed throughout the cave. There were hundreds of images of him, each facet of the wall danced with his evil smile. “And now, your prison.”

“Help! Help!” Twilight tried to run, but no matter what side of the chamber she moved to, an image of Shining Armor appeared.

“It's no use. No one can hear you. And no one will ever think to look for you, either. Most ponies have forgotten that these caves even exist, which is why they are the ideal place to keep the ones who try to interfere with my plans.” He burst out laughing, reveling in his assured victory.

No, this wasn’t happening. It couldn’t. It… it was Rarity who had turned evil… it was… “Plans? What plans?”

“The plans I have for your friend Rarity, of course.”

“Shining Armor! I don’t understand. Why are you doing this?”

The images faded one by one. His laughter echoed away as each disappeared, becoming fainter and fainter.




Rarity paced around her boudoir.

The preparations were complete. The guests had arrived. She had her dress. She had her bouquet. Everything was ready. But… was she ready?

“Oh, Opal. None of this has been like I imagined.”

Opalescence sat on a stack of pillows and continued cleaning herself. Undeterred, Rarity continued to aimlessly amble about the space.

“I don’t understand. This was going to be perfect, the kind of day I dreamed of since I was small. I’m marrying the pony of my dreams in Canterlot – Canterlot, Opal – with the Princess herself presiding. But…”

A tiny knock came from the door. It was quiet, unobtrusive, barely audible but enough to be heard and recognized. Rarity composed herself. “Come in, Fluttershy.”

Fluttershy opened the door and poked in half her face. At Rarity’s beckoning nod, Fluttershy entered. “I came to check on you, if that’s okay.”

Rarity forced a smile. “Of course. Everything is wonderful, darling.”

Concern did not leave Fluttershy’s face. She said nothing. An eyebrow raised ever so slightly.

Rarity threw herself onto the bed. “Everything’s dreadful, darling!”

Fluttershy slowly climbed onto the bed, folded her legs, and sat with Rarity.

Rarity rolled onto her side, careful not to smudge her makeup or bend her magnificently curled eyelashes, and looked with pleading eyes at Fluttershy. “Have you seen Twilight?”

Fluttershy shook her head. “Nopony has seen her since the rehearsal.”

“It doesn’t make any sense! Why did she say those things? Casting spells? Sneaking around the castle by dark of night? I haven’t the foggiest where any of that came from!” Rarity sat up and considered for a moment. “Admittedly, she was dead on about me being awful to all of you.”

“You just wanted your big day to be perfect and we’ve been more than happy to help.”

“Oh, you’ve all been so understanding. Yes, there are certain… standards that need to be met for a wedding in Canterlot, but I really shouldn’t have been so critical.” Rarity moved from the bed and started pacing again. “Regardless, I thought I’d fixed everything. I made you all my bridesmaids and you, you Fluttershy, will be my mare of honor, just as it should have been.”

Fluttershy played with the hem of her dress. “We were certainly surprised to see you show up in the middle of the night with five dresses.”

“Well, I had to do something! There I was in my and Shining Armor’s bed, when I thought I heard Twilight’s voice. So I went into the living room, but only Shining Armor was there. I asked if Twilight had come calling and he snapped at me and said I must be imagining things again.”

Fluttershy winced.

“Oh, no, Fluttershy, he’s not normally like that. It’s just that his protection spell is giving him terrible headaches and he’s sometimes… short because of it.” True, Shining Armor only mentioned the headaches anytime he clearly didn’t want to talk about something, but Rarity thought it best not to mention that part.

Fluttershy nodded once but did not appear to be convinced.

Rarity cleared her throat and continued. “Anyway, I was not going to sit there and wallow. I went straight to see all of you and make it right.”

“You really didn’t have to make us your bridesmaids,” Fluttershy said. “We could have waited for the second ceremony, if that’s what you wanted.”

Rarity stopped pacing. She lowered her head. Ah, the second ceremony. Her brilliant plan that got her into this mess in the first place. She walked over to her vanity and used her magic to carefully lift the gold-leafed, personally written invitations she had prepared for her friends. She had planned to deliver them in person and ask all of her friends to be a part of her wedding.

But then the threat against Canterlot happened and the shield went up. Inviting her friends to Canterlot suddenly seemed like a terrible idea. She didn’t want to put them in danger… but she also didn’t want to disappoint the citizens of Canterlot by canceling the wedding. There’d been a great deal of buzz about the captain of the Royal Guard’s mysterious fiance – buzz that Rarity had a hoof in generating, of course – and the wedding itself was turning into quite the event.

Very well, she had decided. Two weddings! She would go forward with the wedding with her Canterlot friends as bridesmaids and then have another wedding in Ponyville just for her Ponyville friends once the danger had passed. Shining Armor agreed with her entirely, saying that they needed to generate as much love among the ponies of Canterlot as possible. Such a wonderful sentiment, really.

But then the Princess went ahead and invited Rarity’s friends without her knowing!

Rarity tossed the invitations across the room. They scattered, the heavy cardstock landing with five muted thumps on the carpet.

Rarity sat down. She felt a shudder run through her body. No, she would not cry, not right before her wedding.

Fluttershy silently flittered from the bed and landed by Rarity’s side, wrapping her in a wing.

“I just want it to be perfect,” Rarity whispered. “But it’s not. Shining has been so distant, Twilight’s mad at me for Celestia knows why, and… and… just look at your dress.”

“I think the dress is nice,” Fluttershy said.

“But I wanted you to have your own dress.” Rarity indicated the five dress forms that lined one side of the room. On each was a half-finished dress, each designed for her friends. “After I delivered your dresses and explained everything, I came here and started to work on new dresses… but I fell asleep without realizing it. I awoke with barely any time before the rehearsal. And then when I arrived, Lyra, Minuette, and Twinkleshine were there. Goodness! To be told on the day of the wedding – at the rehearsal no less! – that you’re no longer a bridesmaid...”

“They said they were alright with it and that they just wanted you to be happy.” Fluttershy gave a light squeeze with her wing. “We all do.”

“That’s why you deserve so much better. Lyra, Minuette, and Twinkleshine deserve more than what they got. Rainbow Dash and Applejack deserve more than to be wearing my first-pass reject dresses. Everypony deserves more than this.”

“Yes,” Fluttershy said. “Yes you do. You deserve more than who you’re going to…” Fluttershy stopped herself and looked down at her hooves.

Rarity understood. “Oh, no, Shining Armor really is a wonderful pony. He’s simply... under a lot of stress right now.”

Fluttershy nodded but kept her eyes down. “I know, but he doesn’t seem like the pony you described to me at the spa. He seems… not nice.”

“Just give him a chance, Fluttershy. His princely side is sure to come out if you’re just pati…” Rarity trailed off, unable to finish the sentence. Did those words really come out of her mouth?

“...Rarity?”

“It’s alright, dear.” Rarity gave Fluttershy a nuzzle. “You better go finish your preparations. I’ll be fine, really.”

Fluttershy walked over to the door but paused before leaving. “If you need anything…”

“I will.”

Fluttershy put on a small smile. There was still concern on her face, but it was good to see even that little smile.

After Fluttershy left, Rarity walked over and leaned against a bedpost. “Where is he? Where is the stallion who swept me off my hooves?”

Shining Armor really had been the perfect stallion. He navigated Canterlot high society so comfortably and effortlessly. He was so strong, so sweet, so kind, oh, and so wonderful with Sweetie Belle.

Rarity grasped a bedpost with her forehooves and spun herself around, remembering the charming pony she’d fallen for…

She stopped and put a hoof to her forehead. She was overcome with a kind of… wooziness. The edges of her vision were tinged for just a moment with a greenish haze. She felt as if she was going to faint.

When was the last time she ate? She really should have accepted those treats Applejack offered. Hopefully no pony noticed her throw them in the trash.



Twilight observed the smoking hole in the ground she had created when yet another of her magical beams had bounced around the mirrored chamber without having any effect on the walls. This was getting frustrating.

She had to get out of here. She had to stop Shining Armor from… doing something. Something really bad. She wasn’t quite sure what, exactly, but first she had to escape this prison.

She tilted her head and considered the walls. “Hmm,” she thought aloud. “A sufficiently powerful blast might be enough to implode the facet without reflecting…” She looked at the crater again. “...but I don’t want to risk it.”

She tapped a hoof against the ground in sudden realization. Of course! Resonance!

She approached a wall of the chamber and lightly placed her horn against it. Her horn’s glow softened as she channeled magic directly into the rock face. The wall began to hum. She pulsed more and more vibrations into the wall with her magic.

A tiny crack began to form in the wall.

“Come on… come on… just a little more… Yes!”

The entire wall shattered instantly, falling in a pile of scattered shards and revealing… Shining Armor!

She had to strike quick. Twilight dove forward with all her strength.

“Twily! Wait!”

She tackled him to the ground before he had a chance to use his evil-green-fire spell again.

He didn’t struggle. He cowered beneath her. “Please, you have to believe me,” he said. “I’ve been imprisoned like you. The Shining Armor who brought you down here is an imposter.”

“Likely story!”

Then… he started singing. It was soft and slow, like a lullaby. “Little sister, best friend forever. Like two peas in a pod, we’ll do everything together…”

Twily remembered. She remembered being a little filly, tucked in bed. Her big brother, still just a colt himself, was singing her to sleep. Years later she’d turned the song into her own, adding her own lyrics to sing about her Big Brother Best Friend Forever. She liked to sing it to herself sometimes in the library when no pony was listening.

Twilight helped Shining Armor stand and they held each other. This really was her brother.

But if this really was her brother, then Rarity was about to...

The fake Shining Armor’s laugh echoed in the distance. Twilight looked up at her brother and followed his eyes to an opening leading deeper into the caves.

“We have to get out of here,” Twilight said.

Shining Armor nodded and they made their way into the caves. They ran as fast as their tired legs could carry them through the honeycombed maze of the old mines. They occasionally caught glimmers of light reflecting off the walls, but most of the time they were forced to make random guesses about direction.

“I’m worried,” Shining Armor said as they double-backed from a dead end and picked another path.

“We’ll find a way out,” Twilight said, almost convincing herself.

“I’m not afraid of that. I know working together we’ll figure it out. But I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t afraid we won’t make it in time, before Rarity marries that fake.”

Twilight was about to respond, but she slid to a stop as the tunnel opened into a huge cavern. She stood at the end of a broken minecart track. Its rails descended in a great spiral down into the dark before exiting into another chamber. An old, rickety minecart sat abandoned on the track. It didn’t look particularly… safe. But the chamber that the track led into was a bit brighter than where they were.

Shining Armor ran past Twilight. He pushed against the cart, straining with all his might, but his strength gave out and he fell to the ground.

Tears started to form in his eyes.

Twilight quietly approached and set a reassuring hoof on her brother’s shoulder. “You really love her, don’t you?”

He laid on the ground, breathing softly with his eyes closed before speaking quietly. “She’s so passionate, but there’s a gentleness hidden underneath. She’s graceful and strong and… genuine. You know?” Shining Armor looked up at Twilight. “She’s also amazing with her little sister. Reminds me of a pony that’s special to me.”

Twilight blushed.

“All of my thoughts are of her, Twily. I want to care for her, love her, and cherish her every day for the rest of my life.”

Twilight nodded once. With one swift motion of magic, she lifted the rocks out of the mining car and placed her brother inside. Twilight placed her forehooves on the cart. “Come on, B.B.B.F.F. Let’s go save your bride.”

“Don’t worry, Rarity,” he said to the darkness. “I'll be there very soon.”

Twilight gave the cart a hard shove and it started rolling faster than she anticipated. She barely managed to pull herself in before the cart escaped from her grasp. Down they spiralled, faster and faster. The track straightened out as the new chamber opened before them. It was huge. Light streamed in from cracks above.

Yes! They were near the surface.

Twilight looked ahead.

Oh no.

They were also near the end of the track. Before she could speak the cart slammed into the rail at the end of the line, launching both ponies into the air.

Twilight flailed her limbs as jagged rocks sped past. She grabbed onto Shining Armor, who had his eyes closed, as they flew through the air.

She could try to teleport… oh but Starswirl’s Maxim of Magical Momentum meant they’d still impact at the same velocity if...

A pink bubble of energy surrounded them both as the ground approached. Shining Armor’s horn glowed bright as he focused on maintaining the protective sphere.

The bubble flattened and warped as they hit solid rock, but they remained unharmed. The magical ball rebounded off the rock face and they were sent tumbling across the chamber, pinballing from surface to surface.

After a dizzying series of bounces they finally came to rest on a platform that jutted out high above their original starting place. The bubble dissipated and both siblings collapsed.

“Let’s… let’s not do that again…” Twilight waited for the room to stop spinning before opening her eyes.

There! A ray of light streamed through a gap in the ceiling above them. They were just one short climb away from freedom!

Unfortunately, there were four groomsponies in their way.

Caramel, Cherry Fizzy, Noteworthy, and Meadow Song stood between the siblings and the exit. Their eyes glowed green… the same green as the terrible fire that brought her here.

“You’re not going anywhere,” they said in unison as they advanced.

Twilight took a step back, but Shining Armor held his ground. He used his magic to remove something from one of his back legs. It was a small elastic band covered in white lace and had blended in with Shining Armor’s coat so much that Twilight hadn’t noticed he was wearing it.

Shining Armor dangled it in the air in front of his friends. Their eyes were transfixed on the lacy, dainty… garter?

He tossed it to one side and all four dove after the garter, simultaneously yelling, “I want it!”

Twilight watched the groomsponies wrestle for the garment. “Why did you have one of Rarity’s garters? The groom isn’t supposed to have that until after the wedding.”

“We like to give each other little mementos.”

“But it’s tradition! You have to wait until the reception…”

“Twily. Focus. We have a wedding to stop.”

Twilight nodded and began climbing. There would be time for questions later. Right now, she had to get to the surface and save her friend.



Horns blared to herald her arrival, but Rarity barely heard them.

She glided across the long red carpet leading to the pony of her dreams. Curiously, there were no groomsponies next to Shining Armor, but she paid it no heed. It didn’t matter. Nothing else mattered but reaching her destination, her Shining, her world. Her hooves became lighter and lighter with each step.

Their eyes locked and he grinned back at her. She could see him, only him, and nothing else. The rest of the world faded into a green haze. She could no longer see the adoring crowd or the perfectly appointed chandelier or the grand city of Canterlot spread beyond the balcony behind the dais. All that remained was him. The image of Shining in his resplendent red uniform floated in a mire of green, drawing closer and closer.

She couldn’t feel her legs, or any other part of her body for that matter. She drifted through a verdant miasma toward her true love.

But… something was missing.

The… spark wasn’t there. That indescribable effervescent feeling she got when she was around Shining Armor wasn’t there. Everything felt so natural around him. She never felt like she had to force anything. She didn’t have to worry or fret about maintaining status or image. Yes, natural. That was the word.

This didn’t feel natural. It didn’t feel right.

But that was okay. It didn’t matter that something was missing. It would all be okay. Tom would make everything okay…

Wait. Why did she just think Shining Armor’s name was Tom?

A flood of memories came crashing upon her. Terrible, terrible memories. She knew this feeling. She knew why she heard the name Tom in her head. She’d felt this before. Magically induced desire.

Rarity closed her eyes and screamed. Her shriek echoed across the hall.

Silence.

Then murmurs. She heard quiet, worried mutterings from every direction.

She slowly opened her eyes. She was at the wedding, her wedding. She was standing in the center of the alile. Her friends, the Princess, and the whole crowd of Canterlot’s finest all stared at her in stunned disbelief.

She turned and ran away as fast as she could. She reached for the doors and yelled: “STOP THE WEDDING!”

Just before she got there, the doors swung open and hit her in the face. As she fell to the floor she could hear Twilight Sparkle yell: “STOP THE WEDDING!”

As she laid on the plush velvet rug, stars in her eyes, she rolled onto her side and looked down the aisle toward the dais.

Shining Armor wasn’t concerned. He had a smug smile on his face, as if he didn’t care at all that his fiance had just screamed, ran, and then been struck in the face. “This is all very amusing,” he said. “But you’re still too late.”

“I-I don’t understand,” Applejack said. “How can there be two of ‘em?”

Two?

Another Shining Armor appeared at Rarity’s side. He lifted her gently into his forelegs. She recognized the softness and the strength, the gentleness. She felt a warmth inside, a warmth that had been missing.

“Because I’m the real Shining Armor,” the new arrival said, but Rarity already knew it was true. The real Shining Armor, her Shining Armor, had come back.

Shining Armor pointed at his doppelganger. “That’s Queen Chrysalis. She's a changeling. She takes the form of somepony you love and gains power by feeding off your love for them.”

Flames roared to life around the false Shining Armor. He disappeared into green light and Rarity was struck blind for a moment. Over the roar of the magical flames she could hear a reverberating, sickening laughter.

The whole room gasped.

Eventually the world faded back into view and there before them stood Queen Chrysalis.

Tall as Celestia, as terrifying as Nightmare Moon, the insect-like queen of the changelings confidently descend the stairs toward Rarity and Shining Armor.

That repulsive... thing had tricked her, had taken her Shining Armor, had… had…

Rarity tried to stand but her legs wouldn’t cooperate.

Chrysalis laughed and continued her slow approach. “Right you are, Captain. And as queen of the changelings, it is up to me to find food for my subjects. Equestria has more love than any place I’ve ever encountered. My fellow changelings will be able to devour so much of it that we will gain more power than we have ever dreamed of! First, we take Canterlot.” She buzzed her translucent wings and lifted her hooves into the air. “And then, all of Equestria!”

“No. You won’t,” Princess Celestia said with cold confidence. Chrysalis ceased her celebration and lowered back to the ground, a wary look on her face. “Now that you have so foolishly revealed your true self…” Celestia rose into the air. Her horn illuminated with a brightness to match the sun itself. “I can protect my subjects from–”

A charging pegasus guard struck Celestia in the chest. Two more came from above and another from the side, knocking her from the air. She hit the marble floor hard, all four guards landing on top of her. One of the guards stood and opened his mouth. Green goo sprayed forth, covering Celestia’s horn. The others sprayed goo from their mouths, locking Celestia to the ground.

One by one, all of the royal guards in the room turned into changelings, each revealing their true forms with a flash of green. Ponies screamed as they whirled about. Changelings were on all sides of them.

Chrysalis laughed all the while. “The ‘protection spell’ I performed as Shining Armor did nothing. It was just a clever ruse. My army has been in the city the whole time. No pony suspected a thing… except for one.” A pair of armored changelings joined Chrysalis and stood at each side of her. “It’s funny, really. Twilight here was right to be suspicious. Too bad she was suspicious of the wrong pony. I thought she might give me trouble, but after she revealed to me her misgivings about her friend, it was a simple matter to give her a push in the wrong direction.”

The two changelings that flanked Chrysalis briefly turned into Rarity and Shining Armor. The fake Rarity’s horn lit up green and the fake Shining Armor’s eyes spun around. They then reverted to their true forms and both gave hissing laughs.

Rarity got to her hooves as Twilight arrived at her side. Weakened, barely able to stand, Rarity leaned into her friend.

“I’m sorry,” Twilight said, quietly.

“It’s not your fault,” Rarity managed. Even saying a few words was a struggle, but with the warmth of her friends and the real Shining Armor around her, she felt a little of her sapped strength return.

Chrysalis reveled in her victory. “Now no one can stop me from…”

A burst of magic interrupted Chrysalis’s celebration. There, standing in the doorway, was Princess Luna; a group of changelings laid unconscious at her feet.

The Princess of the Night casually observed the room. A smirk grew on her lips. “Hello, everypony. Did I miss anything?”

With a blast from her horn, she scattered the changelings standing over Celestia. Luna serenely glided over to her sister and cut Celestia free from the green goo.

“As I was saying…” Celestia rose to her hooves and spread her wings. The remainder of the green sludge melted away as her horn began to glow brighter and brighter. Both princesses walked together toward Chrysalis, who recoiled in fear at the approaching alicorns. “We can protect our subjects…. from you.” Celestia and Luna rose into the air and touched horns, which glowed with the light of stars and sun.

A beam of tremendous energy erupted from their horns. Chrysalis fired a desperate attack of her own. The beams collided midair. Celestia and Luna redoubled their efforts, sending a wave of energy down the beam, pushing the conflicting magical energy closer to the queen.

Chrysalis growled in rage and the confluence of magic suddenly reversed direction. All of the combined energy roared upward and struck both princesses. Rarity was forced to close her eyes as an explosion of light filled the chamber.

First there was silence. Then the clank of two magnificent crowns striking tile. And then a pair of dull thuds as the princesses hit the floor.

Their eyes were closed. Ponies gasped in horror.

“Princess Celestia! Princess Luna!” Twilight yelled as she ran to the fallen princesses.

Chrysalis held up her forehooves and marveled at her power. “Ah! Rarity’s love for you is even stronger than I thought. Consuming it has made me even more powerful than both princesses combined!”

Rarity leaned on Shining Armor for support as they made their way over to the princesses. As the rest of her friends arrived, Celestia stirred.

“The Elements of Harmony,” Celestia said. “You must get to them and use their power to defeat the queen.”

Shining Armor carefully lifted Rarity onto his back and Twilight used her magic to bunch up the long train of Rarity’s dress. Twilight, her friends, and her brother all looked at each other, nodded, and made for the exit at full gallop, tossing off their bridesmaid dresses and one dress uniform in the process.

“You can run but you can’t hide!” Chrysalis called out as the seven ponies made their way toward the Hall of the Elements.

Even in her weakened state Rarity reached out her hooves, trying to catch the dresses as they fluttered to the ground behind them.



Twilight ran toward the Hall of the Elements.

The changelings were coming from all directions. They poured out of shops and windows. The buzz of changeling wings from overhead was deafening. If they could just make it to the Elements…

A changeling impacted the ground in front of her hard enough to create a small crater. It unfolded itself and hissed up at her. Twilight jumped on its head, sprang forward, and kept moving.

“Go, go!” Twilight called out to her brother and her friends.

They all ran up the stairs onto the plaza in front of the hall of the Elements, only to find a wall of changelings blocking their path. Twilight skidded to a stop and her friends all collided into each other.

Shining Armor placed Rarity on the ground and stood between her and the changelings.

Rainbow Dash clacked her forehooves together. “Looks like we're gonna have to do this the hard way.” She stepped forward with a menacing growl, but found herself staring face to face with a pony that looked exactly like her.

Rainbow was nonplussed.

The fake Rainbow Dash grinned and shoved the real Rainbow to the ground.

Rainbow sat up and rubbed a hoof against her head. “How did you...”

A line of changelings all morphed into Rainbow Dashes. The rest of the changelings followed suit, turning into copies of all seven ponies. There were Applejacks and Pinkie Pies and particularly mean looking Fluttershys everywhere. Shining Armors and Raritys and Twilight Sparkles closed in.

Twilight moved to Rainbow’s side as her friend got on her hooves. “They're changelings, remember?”

They're changelings, remember?” A group of five changelings mimicked Twilight in her own voice.

Well, that was unsettling.

She shook her head. “Don't let them distract you. We have to get to the Elements of Harmony. They're our only hope.”

They charged straight ahead. Twilight instantly lost track of her friends as they disappeared into the melee. The only two that she could easily distinguish were Rarity and Shining Armor, as her brother hung back to protect his prone fiance.

A large group of changelings pressed the advantage against Shining Armor. Twilight sent out a shockwave to clear a path and tried to double back, but another wave of changelings swarmed into the gap. Meanwhile, a group of changelings wrestled Shining to the ground.

She had to get to her brother. Twilight prepared to teleport when suddenly the changelings on top of Shining Armor went flying like bowling pins.

Rarity stood in front of Shining Armor, her front hooves raised in a furious challenge. She was out of her wedding dress. Her magic neatly folded her dress behind her while she stared down her fiance’s attackers.

She breathed heavily and let out a terrifying roar. “Get. Your. Hooves. Off. My. Shining. Armor!”

Twilight used the distraction to zap over to Rarity’s side. Shining Armor stood and joined them. Rarity was obviously hurting, but she gave Twilight a quick nod to indicate she was okay and the three of them charged into the fray.

After striking down the first wave of changelings, Rarity took a moment to inspect her hooves. “I’m so going to need a hooficure.”

Shining Armor smiled. “Haven’t you already had three this month?”

“Tell you what…” Rarity kicked another changeling in the jaw. “...If we go for hooficures, I promise that after I’ll help you trim all of the split ends in your mane.”

“Yes! Thank you. I need it bad after being in that cave.”

“How long were you down there?” Rarity seemed to be doing math in her head.

“I’m not sure. Why?” Shining Armor looked at his fiance with concern while uppercutting another changeling.

“Ugh. I hope it was the real you that I gave my garter to.”

“It was. I’m so glad I had something to remind me of you while I was trapped. The thought of you kept me going.”

“Oh, do you still have the garter?”

“Funny story, actually. I–woah.” Shining Armor dodged a charging foe and fired a blast of his magic. “I’ll tell you sometime we’re not fighting an army of changelings.”

Her brother and Rarity seemed to be handling things. Twilight turned her attention to the dogpile of Applejacks.

The farm pony had bravely plowed into the middle of the changelings and was now trapped under a pile of herself. Twilight used her magic to blast aside a plethora of Applejacks. She pulled the one at the bottom of the pile free and the orange pony suspended upside-down in her magic yelled, “Real me! Real me!”

Twilight set her down and resumed blasting the changelings.

Behind her she heard, “Meh, I’ve seen better.” Twilight turned to ask Pinkie what is was that she’d seen better, but a pair of pink hooves grabbed her and Twilight found herself being aimed at an advancing wall of changelings.

Twilight felt Pinkie rapidly pump her tail. Her horn fired. Strangely involuntary blasts fired at an incredible rate, far faster than she could have managed on her own. Twilight made a mental note to later study the mechanics behind this bizarre yet effective technique.

The magical blasts from her horn knocked out changelings and returned them to their true forms. As it became easier to determine friends and foes, the fight quickly turned in their favor.

Twilight blasted the last changeling in her way and took stock of the situation. The seven ponies stood panting. Dozens of unconscious changelings laid about the plaza with the rest retreating back toward the wedding site.

Twilight quickly opened the doors to the Hall of the Elements. Now all they had to do was retrieve the Elements of Harmony and…

Oh.

The Hall of the Elements was filled with changelings. Hundreds and hundreds of changelings. They were in their insect-like true forms. They covered the floor and more were crawling their way down the pillars of the hall.

So many. Too many. There was no way through.

Shining Armor ran to one side of the chamber and planted his hooves. His horn burned with a bright pink glow and a magical wall formed. The wall pressed forward, sweeping the horde of changelings toward the opposite side wall. The changelings hissed and scratched, slamming their bodies into the barrier.

“I’ll hold them off,” Shining Armor yelled. “Go!”

Rarity ran to him. “I’m not leaving you, not after I just got you back!”

“No, Rarity. You have to go.” Shining Armor’s body shook under the strain of the magic. “I’m the only pony who doesn’t have to make it to the Elements.”

Rarity bit her lip, tears threatening to come forth. She leaned in and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek. “I love you.”

“I love you, too.”

Rarity started to move away, but she stopped for a moment and looked back at Shining Armor. “I’m coming back for you,” she said.

Before Shining Armor had a chance to argue, Rarity rejoined her friends and they ran down the open corridor created by Shining Armor’s magic. When they made it to the far end of the chamber, Twilight cast the unlocking spell and opened the door. She pulled forth the bejeweled case and opened it, revealing the Elements of Harmony.

She swiftly levitated the necklaces to her friends and placed the golden crown upon her head before turning toward the exit.

Shining Armor’s spell flickered and warped. The magical wall pressed steadily back toward him, cracks forming as changelings slammed into it harder and harder. With one great burst the spell failed, shards of pink magic falling like broken glass and disappearing. The changelings swarmed over Shining Armor.

But the way to the exit was open. All of the changelings were focused on Shining Armor.

Rarity began to move toward the fray, but Applejack placed a hoof on her chest.

“We have to go,” Applejack said.

There was a fire in Rarity’s eyes. “No,” she said. “We don’t.”

Twilight wanted so badly to agree with Rarity. She couldn’t just abandon her brother! But to save him and get back to the wedding site, she’d have to create a protection bubble in the middle of a fight and simultaneously pull off a long-distance teleport of herself and six additional ponies. She’d never attempted anything like it.

Twilight’s crown hummed with life. She could feel the Element of Magic flowing through her, powered by her love for her friends and her brother.

…Yes. She could do this.

“Come on!” Twilight charged forward, Rarity at her side, her friends just behind.

They caught the changelings by surprise, clearing a path through the swarm. Twilight knocked back another wave with her magic and the crumpled form of her brother appeared.

He was in bad shape. His eyes were closed, he wasn’t moving, and he was covered in terrible cuts and bruises.

The changelings began to swarm back in and Rarity threw herself on top of Shining Armor to shield him from the blows.

Twilight created a protection sphere, but it instantly began to compress inward as the changelings redoubled their efforts. “Close as possible!” Twilight yelled over the din of changelings. She and her friends formed a tight circle around Rarity and Shining Armor.

The sphere got smaller and smaller, pressing the ponies closer and closer. Maintaining the barrier against the assault threatened to rend Twilight’s focus from her teleportation spell. Luckily, the magic radiating from the Elements made it easy for Twilight to locate her friends, giving her clear anchors as she cast the spell. She mentally grabbed the five ponies wearing Elements and physically placed a hoof on her brother.

With a crackle of magic and a flash the Hall of the Elements disappeared from her vision and the wedding site appeared.

Twilight released the protection sphere and all seven ponies tumbled apart in a heap.

Not the smoothest entrance, but she’d done it. Twilight quickly got to her hooves and checked on her brother. Shining Armor was still unconscious, but alive. Rarity laid against him, softly stroking his mane with her hoof.

“Oh, so you return.” Chrysalis seemed mildly surprised at their sudden arrival. She didn’t seem too worried, just curious. The rest of the changelings in the hall were much more agitated. They formed up in front of their queen. Their buzzing from above drew Twilight’s eyes to the ceiling. Celestia and Luna were suspended upside down from the rafters in translucent green pods, a fate no doubt in store for Twilight and her friends unless they put a stop to this right now.

Twilight stepped forward. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy, and Pinkie Pie gathered behind her. Rarity slowly rose and stood over Shining Armor. Her legs shook, but her eyes never wavered. She stared at Chrysalis with a silent rage.

Twilight focused all of her magic into uniting the Elements. The six friends levitated into the air. Loyalty, Honesty, Kindness, Laughter, Generosity… and finally Magic. She could feel the familiar magics coursing through her, building to a tremendous height that would all release in a rainbow of energy and Chrysalis would finally be…

The Elements flashed and went cold. The world came sharply back into focus as the magic fled Twilight’s body. Gravity returned and all six ponies fell crashing to the ground.

Chrysalis laughed with glee. It was a tittering, jubilant laugh, as if she could not contain herself.

Twilight tried again to make the magic work, but nothing happened. “But… how… I don’t…”

With a flash of green fire, Applejack turned into a changeling.

Rainbow Dash shot into the air in surprise. “Applejack’s a changeling?!”

Chrysalis continued her maniacal giggling. “Oh, looking for this?” Her twisted horn lit and the real Applejack levitated out from behind a pillar near the dais. Applejack was wrapped in green goo, preventing her from moving her legs and her mouth was also covered, preventing her from speaking. She struggled against the binding and made very, very angry muffled sounds but could not break free.

Twilight could not believe what she was seeing. “But…”

In Applejack’s voice, the changeling that had replaced her said “Real me! Real me!” and laughed.

Chrysalis tossed Applejack roughly to the floor. “Thanks for letting me know that you needed all six ponies for the Elements to work,” she said with a smug grin.

With the Elements no longer a threat, changelings rushed in and grabbed the six ponies. They didn’t even bother with the beaten and bruised Shining Armor. The changelings removed the Elements from each bearer and stacked them in a pile in front of Chrysalis. They then dragged the six friends away from each other and locked them to the ground with more green sludge.

Rarity reached out for Shining Armor as she was pulled away from her love. Shining Armor groaned. His eyes didn’t open, but his fetlocks twitched, almost as if he was trying to reach out too.

“Excellent. Now no one…” Chrysalis eyed the door. Nopony entered. She breathed a quick sigh of relief. “Now no one is left to stop me!” She turned to her changelings and swept a hoof toward the exit. “Go! Feed!” All but her personal guards went buzzing out into the city. Chrysalis turned her back on the defeated ponies and walked to the balcony, humming happily to herself. “This day has been just perfect. Who says a girl can’t really have it all?”

Twilight pulled against the goo but it held her hooves locked in place. She heard a groan. Shining Armor had rolled onto his stomach. His eyes fluttered open and he dizzily tried to take stock of his surroundings.

Twilight wanted to go to him and hug her B.B.B.F.F. and pretend this terrible nightmare was over… but there was a specific pony he needed right now more than anything in the world.

Rarity desperately struggled against the green muck holding her in place. Twilight glanced toward Chrysalis to make sure the queen wasn’t paying attention and then fired a quick blast of her magic, melting away the goo from Rarity’s hooves.

Rarity smiled at her friend in thanks.

“Go to him,” Twilight said.

Rarity went to Shining Armor’s side and helped him stand, though she was struggling to stay on her hooves as well. They leaned on each other for support.

Shining Armor’s eyes fell onto the balcony, where Chrysalis watched her changelings roam free throughout Canterlot. He attempted a spell of some kind, but the light left his horn as soon as he attempted it. He tried again, grunting and straining.

Nothing. “My protection spell… it...” He dropped his head. “I don’t have anything left.”

Rarity nuzzled her fiance. “I want to give you the strength, but the fight… Chrysalis's magic… it’s taken so much…” Rarity raised her head and placed a hoof on Shining Armor’s cheek. “All I have left is my love for you.”

Shining Armor’s eyes met hers. “And all I have is my love for you.”

They closed their eyes and softly touched horns.

And then something amazing happened. A small spark jumped from where their horns met. A glow began, soft at first, becoming brighter and brighter. Swirls of magic lifted their manes. They both looked about in momentary surprise.

Then their eyes met. They understood.

They lifted into the air, borne aloft by the magic of friendship and the magic of love. The magic continued to crescendo. Brighter and brighter. In one explosive moment they were enveloped in radiance and became glowing ethereal forms, merging into the shape of a heart. From the center of that glowing heart a wave of energy burst forth, filling the room with light and love.

Twilight felt the love that Rarity and her brother shared. As wave after wave of energy swept by her heart was filled with joy.

When the wave reached the balcony, the surprised Chrysalis and all of her changelings were thrown back with tremendous force. The wave of energy carried them clear out of the city. All of the green muck and the changelings that made it disappeared into the distance and the ponies found themselves free.

Once all of the changelings were gone, the glow faded. Rarity and Shining Armor appeared out of the light and floated gently back to the ground, their eyes locked in euphoric joy.

As soon as their hooves touched the ground they rushed toward each other, embracing.

Twilight ran to the princesses, who both wearily rose from the ground where they had fallen.

Celestia accepted an embrace from her student and then leaned down to Twilight. “Don't worry about me. I'm fine. You have a real wedding to put together.”



And so she did.

Twilight offered to take care of everything so that Rarity and Shining Armor could rest, but it wasn’t long until she found both of them eagerly planning and participating. Rarity even finished making dresses for each of her bridesmaids, as well as repairing her own dress once it was recovered. She said she found it relaxing to be in a familiar space, though she made sure to take the time to enjoy a couple apple fritters.

All of the ponies Chrysalis had replaced were accounted for and freed from the caves. Everypony pitched in and before long the real wedding was ready to go.

Princess Luna and Princess Celestia stood at the top of the dais. Twilight and her brother stood with them, eagerly awaiting the arrival of the bride. Shining Armor’s groomsponies were with him, as well as Spike, who looked quite dapper in his suit and a top hat almost as tall as he was.

Twilight looked to her right and saw her friends all in place, except for the mare of honor. Fluttershy was at that moment up in the balcony preparing her bird choir. Standing at the top of the stairs was Sweetie Belle, who was ready to burst with excitement every time she looked at her dress… or maybe she was checking to see if a pony could get a bridesmaid cutie mark. Down the steps from her were Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Lyra, Minuette, and Twinkleshine, each with their own dress. Rarity had really outdone herself. They all looked so beautiful. It was all perfect.

Well, almost. Twilight used her magic to straighten the crest on Shining Armor’s uniform, which had gone lopsided.

There. Perfect. Though there was one last thing bugging her…

“Seriously, though,” Twilight said to Shining Armor. “I get you performing a ridiculously powerful magical spell and saving all of Canterlot from an army of changelings. What I don’t understand is how you got someone as amazing as Rarity to marry you.”

“I told her she wouldn’t just be gaining a husband. She'd be getting a pretty great sister, too.”

Twilight didn’t know if it was possible for her heart to be any more full than it was at that moment. She found that it could once the doors swung open and her friend entered the room.

Scootaloo and Applebloom entered in front, spreading flower petals before the bride. In walked Rarity… and she had changed her dress! She must have done it in secret as a surprise.

And what a dress! It was a snow white chiffon, laced along the hems with shimmering gold that sparkled oh so delicately as she walked a step at a time toward them. There were intricate patterns so subtly weaved into the white that they seemed to appear and disappear as Rarity moved. Tied about the waist was a white silk shawl that led up her shoulders, its edges hemmed in a weave of scarlet and purple, adding just the right touch of color to the ensemble. Oh, and the dress had plenty of beading and a very long train.

Twilight stole a glance at her brother. Shining’s mouth hung open in shock for a moment before he recovered his composure. Apparently the surprise had its intended effect.

Twilight spotted her parents in crowd. Night Light and Twilight Velvet each had handkerchiefs out to hold back the tears. Rarity’s parents were there just across from them. Hondo Flanks and Cookie Crumbles excitedly waved at Rarity as she passed.

As Rarity approached, Twilight could see the tears of happiness in her friend’s eyes. Her brother had a bit of liquid pride forming in his eyes too as his fiance carefully ascended the stairs.

Fluttershy finished directing the songbird choir and flew down to her place just as Rarity arrived at the top of the dais.

Princess Luna stepped forward. “MARES AND GENTLECOLTS…” she began in full royal voice. Noticing the reactions of the assembled ponies, Luna cleared her throat and brought her voice down to a less alarming volume. “We are gathered here today to celebrate the union of Lady Rarity and the real Shining Armor.”

Celestia stepped forward as well. “The strength of their commitment is clear. The power of their love, undeniable. May we have the rings please?” Spike presented the pillow holding both rings and Celestia carefully slid each one on its respective horn. “I now pronounce you mare and colt!”

The moment the last word left Celestia’s lips Rarity lept forward and kissed Shining Armor. He happily returned the deep, passionate kiss as the audience cheered the newlyweds. When the kiss ended they both giggled and Rarity looked slightly embarrassed. They then walked together, hoof in hoof, to the balcony overlooking a tremendous crowd of ponies.

A roar of approval rose from the hundreds and hundreds of ponies as streamers and confetti fell. Rarity waved to the crowd, blew kisses, and gave the occasional wink. She was filled with laughter and joyous energy.

Twilight was amazed at Rarity’s passion, her vivacious love of everything and everypony around her. The love was in her eyes, in her movements, her waves to the crowd. This was everything Rarity had ever wanted, right here.

Shining Armor and Rarity shared another kiss on the balcony. Celestia’s grand flowing pastel mane appeared as she leaned down into the group of bridesmaids. “Rainbow Dash, that's your cue,” Celestia whispered.

Rainbow stiffened in realization and quickly shot out onto the balcony and into the sky, leaving her dress and headpiece in her wake.

BOOM! An explosion of color radiated through the sky in huge concentric circles and the crowd roared once more.

Even over the crack of the rainboom and the cheers, Twilight could hear Rainbow Dash’s yell of “Best… wedding… ever!”

Yeah. It really was.



Spike sat at an unoccupied table and watched his friends enjoy themselves. Everypony was having such a great time: Pinkie obliterating cake after cake, Applejack playing her fiddle, Rainbow schmoozing with Wonderbolts, Photo Finish capturing THE MAGICS!

Twilight had asked him to come rejoin the festivities but he said he felt like sitting for a bit. She was now on the microphone singing Love Is in Bloom. Twilight was fantastic. She really was a better singer than she gave herself credit. When she finished, there were many cheers and approving stomps and Twilight had a bashful blush on her cheeks in response.

As Twilight returned the mic to the DJ stand, Vinyl Scratch put on a new record. A slow, romantic song began playing. It made for a nice change of pace after the raucous dancing to Love Is in Bloom.

Spike noted the couples making their way to the dance floor. First went Fancy Pants and Fleur dis Lee… and then came Caramel with his girlfriend Sassaflash… and there was Lyra with her girlfriend Bon Bon. They all had big smiles on their faces as each leaned into their partner and swayed with the music.

He couldn’t blame them. The song was lovely. It was the kind of song he’d love to have playing while he danced with...

Spike felt a delicate tap on the shoulder. He lifted his cheek off his claws and looked up to see Rarity smiling down at him.

She held out a hoof. “Care to dance?”

Spike attempted to speak but he couldn’t get a word to sputter out. Instead he just numbly nodded and accepted the proffered hoof.

Once they reached the dance floor, Rarity placed a hoof over his shoulders and they began to rock back and forth to the serene melody. Spike chose not to question any of it and just enjoy the feeling.

After a while, Rarity drew back and looked down at him. “Spike, I want to thank you.”

“Thank me? For what?”

“Twilight wasn’t the only one who noticed something amiss. She said you expressed your doubts as well.”

Spike thought back to the first wedding preparations, remembering the scowls and frustration… but mostly worry and pain on Rarity’s face. “Yeah... I said that you didn’t look like you were happy.”

Rarity’s smile softened. “What about now?”

Spike looked up at her. What did he see? He saw radiance. Undeniable beauty. And also joy. There in her eyes was complete and utter contentment and joy. “You look really, really, really happy.”

Rarity closed her eyes and set her head against his. “I am,” she whispered.

He let his eyes close as she danced silently with him. He said no more words. They just drifted slowly together to the music.

Eventually, the song ended. His eyes opened slowly to see her beautiful smile. She leaned down and kissed him on the cheek. “You’ll always be my hero,” Rarity said.

He wrapped his arms around her in a big hug, squeezing as tight as he could.

Then he let her go.



The magical night continued. There was more dancing, drinking, eating, and much merrymaking with friends, old and new.

Finally, it was time for the bride and groom to depart. Rarity, Twilight, and Shining Armor talked and laughed together as they walked toward a golden carriage pulled by four pegasus guards.

Twilight savored the walk. It was too bad such a wonderful night had to come to an end but she was filled with delight seeing her brother and her friend so happy. They shared a tear-inducing laugh at another one of Shining’s jokes, but after they settled down, Rarity became more somber. “I must admit… I was worried that following my dreams to Canterlot would pull us apart.” She looked at Twilight for a moment before looking away and delicately running a hoof over the petals of the marvelous bouquet that she carried with her.

Twilight placed a reassuring hoof on her friend’s shoulder. “But look at us now. We’re closer friends than ever.”

Rarity smiled. “And all because of you, Twilight.”

“Me? I almost messed everything up.”

“But your instincts weren’t wrong, dear,” Rarity said. “By listening to your heart, you were able to bring my Shining Armor back to me.”

“None of this would’ve been possible without you, little sis,” Shining Armor said. “Love ya, Twily.”

“Love you too, B.B.B.F.F.”

Twilight shared another hug with her brother before they finally arrived at the carriage. Ponies were lined along the path heading out of Canterlot to see the happy couple off as pegasi dropped confetti from above.

Shining Armor opened the carriage door for Rarity. But before she got in, Rarity turned to Twilight. “I’m so happy to be a part of your family, Twilight.”

Twilight embraced her. “You were always family, Rarity.”

Rarity let out a soft squeal of approval as they hugged. She gave one last gentle squeeze and then got into the carriage and sat next to her husband. “Ready to go?” Shining Armor asked.

“Oh! Almost forgot!” Rarity leaned out the window and tossed her bouquet toward a crowd of mares. The beautiful bouquet fluttered through the air. Lyra, Minuette, and Twinkleshine all looked up in anticipation at the approaching...

“MINE!”

When the dust settled, Rainbow Dash peeked open one eye. She looked down at the bouquet in her hooves. Then she looked at the group of ponies she’d just plowed through to get it. Her cheeks went red with embarrassment. “I mean I didn’t really grab this on purpose you know I…” She quickly shoved the entire bouquet into her mouth and started chewing.

Twilight and her friends burst out laughing. Rainbow too, after a moment. Meanwhile, the carriage carrying Rarity and Shining Armor began its slow, gentle ride. Twilight watched it go with a feeling of contentment in her heart. “Now this was a great wedding.”

Her attention was brought to the sky as the first firework lit the night above Canterlot. She walked off the road and sat on the grass.

One by one her friends joined her as she watched the show. Pinkie, Rainbow, Applejack, and Fluttershy all sat with her. Spike sat on the grass in front of her and she wrapped a foreleg around him.

Closer than ever, the friends sat together, talked, and laughed while fireworks burst overhead and a carriage carrying a very, very happy couple rolled off into the night.

Comments ( 7 )

Feel good story made me feel good.

Happy ending.

8/10 would d'awwww again .

Very interesting, a well done mix of the show plus the new idea and use of the song lyrics as a conversation. Well done.

When was the last time she ate? She really should have accepted those treats Applejack offered. Hopefully no pony noticed her throw them in the trash.

Honestly I don't get this. How much of this reaction was stress, and how much of it was magically induced? It's kind of confusing.

First there was silence. Then the clank of two magnificent crowns striking tile. And then a pair of dull thuds as the princesses hit the floor.

Now this feels a little OP, not going to lie. Does Luna and Celestia's siblinghood count for nothing? :raritycry:

“Excellent. Now no one…” Chrysalis eyed the door. Nopony entered. She breathed a quick sigh of relief. “Now no one is left to stop me!"

This was a brilliant joke, not going to lie. :rainbowlaugh:

He couldn’t blame them. The song was lovely. It was the kind of song he’d love to have playing while he danced with...

You'll get there someday Spike. :pinkiesad2:

He wrapped his arms around her in a big hug, squeezing as tight as he could.

Then he let her go.

Bitter sweet and beautiful. Well done.

I enjoyed the surprise twists and how you put your own spin on it. If anything, I wish you would have changed it up even more.

But honestly this was a great story, minor grips aside.

Of course it's Rarity getting her dream, so I am biased. :pinkiehappy:

8469649
You need to include quotations here.

11182316
Thank you for the comments, Wild Stallion. If I recall, I believe the original intent was Rarity's actions were primarily due to stress. I feel like back when I wrote the story I was trying to keep a balance between original elements - such as having her actions mirror Cadence's in the show - and new. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Glad you enjoyed reading it.

Edit: Looking at the line in particular you asked about (Rarity questioning when the last time she ate was), I recall that this reaction was meant to be magically induced. The "greenish haze" at the edges of her vision is meant to mirror Chrysalis's green magic.

Good story. Enjoyed. :twilightsmile:

I liked it. Although jeot expecting some sist of cadacnr to show up somehow. I mean she still exists. She just never mentioned even in background. Odd

Login or register to comment