• Published 16th Jul 2012
  • 1,168 Views, 17 Comments

Choosing Fate - Livi-Love



Applebloom is tricked into thinking she has earned her cutie mark, but pranks can go very wrong.

  • ...
2
 17
 1,168

Chapter 8

Spike’s feet slapped against the ground as he headed towards Sugarcube Corner. After he collected Pinkie Pie, he needed to go to... Carousel Boutique. Right. Then who? Rainbow Dash, followed by Applejack and finally Fluttershy. Despite not living in Ponyville for as long as many others, Spike knew the town as well as he knew Twilight’s hiding places for candy.

Though now that he thought about it, Rainbow Dash’s speed would come in useful. He had no idea how long it would take Applebloom to reach Ponyville. Whilst Spike commended the Royal Guard on their abilities, he didn’t like their chances against someone who could steal Princess Celestia’s cutie mark.

A brown stallion with a messy mane rushed past him, muttering something about time running out. Spike turned to address him but the pony had already disappeared down a side street. Spike scratched his head and regathered his thoughts. What had he...? Oh, right. How long could the Royal Guard keep Applebloom occupied?

It didn’t make sense. He saw Applebloom earlier that day. Twice. Spike doubted he would have readily accepted the situation if Luna hadn’t told them of it in personal. One moment Applebloom was asking about gaining cutie marks, and the next she was stealing them. There had to be a connection... right? This must have crossed Twilight’s mind.

Turning right at a junction, Spike almost ran into an olive-yellow earth pony. She huffed but Spike paid her no further thought. He was almost there. Did Pinkie Pie have to accompany him getting the others? What if Applebloom found him with them and stole their cutie marks? Should he send them to Twilight as soon as possible or bring them with-?

Spike threw his weight onto his heels as a pink pony with a yellow mane bolted in front of him. She joined a small huddle of ponies stationed outside a house. He pulled a face and jogged around them, cutting through two unicorns conversing nearby. Their indignant voices carried after him but swiftly blended into the surrounding chatter.

If only Twilight told him what exactly she wanted him to do. Her timesaving skills were unrivalled. It completely slipped his mind to ask in his rush to please her and save Ponyville. No. Not just Ponyville. Equestria. The fate of the entire everything lay on his shoulders. Everyone was counting on him and... and...

Spike scolded himself. Who was he, Twilight? Worrying about minor details wouldn’t help anyone. He’d go with the flow. The moment-

His heels dug into the ground, focus venturing out of his mind.

A moment containing madness.

Ponies filled the streets, more trickling out of the houses either side of him. Spike danced around them, abruptly halting whenever one blocked his path. Voices crashed into each other, ignorant of what approached. All just wanting to know why the sun rose. Those not standing still ambled in the same direction.

Spike found himself stopping more frequently as the number of obstacles blocking his path increased. Glancing over his shoulder, he spotted more ponies spilling into the street. Where were they coming from? Where were they going? Now wasn’t the time for a walk. He hesitated. A purple pony overtook him.

Her two-toned pink tail grabbed his attention. He knew who it belonged to. Cheerliee. She turned, grey-green eyes surveying the messy queue of ponies behind her. Alert. Years of teaching keeping her calm.

“Hey! Cheerilee!” Spike caught up with her, jogging to stay at her pace.

“Hello, Spike!” she said, slowing down slightly. “I’d love to hang around and chat, but the Mayor called for a meeting in the town square.”

“A meeting?” Did Mayor Mare already know what happened? But why would she want to gather everyone together? They should take shelter, not make themselves easy targets. Spike opened his mouth to query further when his next destination entered his line of sight.

Cupcake Corner was one of Spike’s favourite places. With a chocolate roof bordered with white icing, its resemblance to the Gingerbread House in Hoofsel and Gretel was uncanny. It made his stomach rumble despite him knowing the building’s materials weren’t edible.

It didn’t matter.The confectionery parlor looked delicious. He’d much rather stare at this, with its cupcake tower, than the boring timber-framed buildings surrounding it.

Cheerliee bid him farewell and trotted away. Spike realised he’d almost slowed to a stop. He shook his head and lifted his elbows, puffing out his chest. The stream of ponies didn’t look like it planned on slowing any time soon. They jostled against him and Spike had to keep moving to make sure he didn’t get knocked over.

At this rate, he’d end up on the other side of Ponyville. Time for some action. Spike waddled through, moving in a perpendicular direction to everyone else. Yelps and heys accompanied each misplaced step.

“Coming through!” he yelled. “Sorry. Whoops! Sorry!” Somepony trod on his foot. “Ouch!” He lifted it and bent his head forward. Ponies brushed past them, reluctant to bend their intended path. Wiggling his toes, Spike lowered his foot before continuing, trying to resist the flow of ponies. A lot easier said than done.

Spike inhaled before shooting forward onto his stomach. He slid under the bodies of seven ponies marching in a straight line. Crashed into something hard. Groaning, Spike rubbed his head and sat up.

In front of him was the first lavender step of Sugarcube Corner. Scabbling to his feet, Spike climbed them and reached his hand towards the door.

It opened. Spike overbalanced and toppled forward. Pinkie Pie stuck out her head, looked both ways, before directing her attention downward. “Spike! What are you doing down there?”

“Pinkie Pie!” He grabbed her front leg and tugged. “We’ve got to hurry! We need to go to Rarity’s right now!”

“Duh!” Pinkie crossed her eyes. “Why do you think I was by the door?”

She hopped down the steps, Spike still attached to her leg, and started to bounce through the thinning flow of ponies. Spike clambered up and sat on her back. Good thing he hadn’t eaten recently, or else she wouldn’t be Pinkie Pie. She would be... Stinkie Pie. Yes. Spike mentally patted himself on the back for such a clever name. Proud of himself, he opened his mouth to tell her.

“Hey, where’s everypony going?” asked Pinkie, who started hopping after them.

“The Mayor called for a meeting,” he explained. “Wait. I thought you knew?”

“Nope! I was in the kitchen helping clean up when my body began to shake, which means a doozy is going to happen. So I went to check on the twins in case they were the doozy but on the way my ear flopped, my eye fluttered and my knee twitched. So I opened the door and there you were!”

“... Right, your Pinkie Sense,” said Spike. “Listen, what I’m about to tell you is really weird but you’ve got to-” Was he seriously warning Pinkie Pie of potential strangeness? “Princess Luna showed up at the library to tell us Applebloom turned into Nightmare Bloom and she stole Princess Celestia’s cutie mark and now she’s on her way to Ponyville to steal all your cutie marks so you need to use the Elements of Harmony to stop her!”

Pinkie stopped. Her brow knitted together. Spike wondered whether she understood him. He had sort of maybe babbled it but Pinkie spoke babbling fluently. Or was this revelation peculiar to even her? It would be understandable, given the situation.

“Applebloom?” said Pinkie. “But... why would she want to do that? She already has a-” Pinkie slapped her hooves onto her mouth, eyes wide.

Spike blinked. “What?”

“It’s a secret!” Pinkie replied. “I promised not to say anything!”

“Anything about what?”

“About nothing!”

Spike held up a finger, mouth ajar, when a speck of cerulean overhead distracted him. His finger curled as the speck took the form of a pegasus. Her mane and tail left a rainbow streak behind her. Perfect. And she was headed their way. More perfect.

He laughed. “Rainbow Dash!” Spike waved his arms. “Hey, Rainbow Dash! Down here!”

“Spike? Pinkie?” She swooped down and landed in front of them. Her wings trembled. “What the heck’s going on? I was visiting some old friends when the sun just came up.” Two colts passed by. “Hey, where is everypony going?”

“The Mayor called for a town meeting,” said Spike. “But that’s not important. Listen. Applebloom became Nightmare Moon Junior, stole Princess Celestia’s cutie mark and is on her way here to take everyone else’s.”

Silence. Rainbow Dash stared. “What?”

“I said Applebloom became-”

“No, Spike, I got that. It’s just...” Rainbow Dash raised her right front hoof. ”Let me get this straight. Applebloom, Applejack’s pipsqueak sister, turned into Nightmare Moon?”

Spike and Pinkie nodded.

“Then she somehow stole Princess Celestia’s cutie mark?”

Spike and Pinkie nodded.

“And now she’s coming here to take ours?”

“Yep!” Pinkie grinned. “That’s why we’re on our way to Rarity’s. So we can use the Elements of Harmony and save the day.”

Rainbow Dash squinted. “You’re serious?”

Spike just resisted the urge to reach forward and shake her. “This isn’t a joke! Princess Luna is at the library right now waiting for us. We can go back so you can explain why we’re not getting the others if you want.”

“Hey, I believe you.” Rainbow Dash grimaced. “No need to get your scales in a twist. But do we really need to use the Elements of Harmony? I mean it’s only Applebloom.”

Spike crossed his arms. “Yeah. The same Applebloom that stole Princess Celestia’s cutie mark!”

“Probably because she had the element of surprise.”

Pinkie tapped one hoof against the other, counting under her breath. “Wait, there isn’t an element of surprise. There’s laughter, loyalty, magic...”

“We’re wasting time!” Spike checked the area. They were almost alone by now, and no one there paid them any attention. “Twilight is expecting us. Dash, you’re the fastest flier I know. Can-”

“- you get the others?” finished Rainbow Dash, taking flight. She stretched out her legs. “Piece of cake!” Pinkie’s ears pricked up at the prospect of cake. “Who do you want me to get? Rarity?”

“No!” Spike raised his hands. Pinkie’s ears drooped. “Go get Fluttershy and Applejack. They’re the other way so it’ll save us time.”

Rainbow Dash smirked. “Whatever, loverboy.”

She flew off before Spike realised what she said. He reddened. “No! I’m trying to-” He flapped his hand. “Never mind.” He slipped off Pinkie Pie. “Come on. Let’s go.”

The street had emptied. The red coned roof of the town hall stood tall behind the sea of straw-thatched buildings before it. Perhaps Rarity was in the town square already. Waiting. Wondering where the others were. What was happening.

No matter. They had to pass through it anyway.

Pinkie skipped while Spike stalked down the street. Rainbow Dash’s remark niggled at him. Yes. He cared about Rarity. A lot. Not that he didn’t care about the others. He did, and probably had room to say so more often, but she held a special place in his heart. With her beauty and her knack of finding beauty and creating beauty, she had a remarkable effect on someone like him. A dragon living amongst ponies. Different.

Applejack and Fluttershy didn’t live in Ponyville so were likely safe at home, but Rarity lived in the town. What if she was lost in the crowd? And then Applebloom arrived? And found her? And then-

No. Bad Spike. He slapped his cheek.

The town square was packed. Colours upon colours swam across his eyes. What chance did he have of finding her? He tried to find a white coat or a purple mane but came to no avail. Not that he would be able to locate her if she was situated in the heart of the crowd. Or hear her.

“Listen, Pinkie, I’m going to see if Rarity is at the Boutique. You stay and try to find her here. I’ll be right back, I promise!”

“Okie dokie!” Pinkie sprung into the air and pressed a hoof against her nose. She dived, landing several feet away from Spike and disappearing from sight. “Rarity? Rarity? Are you Rarity? That’s okay, take your time.”

Spike chuckled and sprinted around the crowd. Attempting to cut through would waste time. Still, he inspected them as he hurdled by in case he spotted Rarity.

Judging by the volume of the ponies’ voices, Mayor Mare hadn’t arrived yet. More importantly, Applebloom hadn’t either.
The Carousel Boutique lacked the deliciousness of Sugarcube Corner and his bed in Golden Oaks Library, but Spike liked it all the same. Even if it was a bit girly with its pastel pinks, purples and blues.

Whenever Twilight didn’t need him, he enjoyed going here to assist Rarity. From being a pincushion to fetching whatever Rarity needed, Spike obeyed without a word of complaint. Helping Rarity was a gift in itself, but he never turned away the gems she rewarded him with.


Spike yanked the door open. Unlocked. That meant Rarity was in. “Rarity?” He spotted her immediately, circling a mannequin sporting a pink dress.

“Mm?” She looked up. Needles, thread and a pair of scissors floated around her head. “Spike!” Rarity beamed. “Why, you’re just the dragon I wanted to see! Would you be a dear and help me ruffle this up a little bit?” She waved her hoof towards the dress. “The theme is ‘princess lost at sea’ but I can’t bring myself to give them that rugged, castaway feel.”

Taking a closer look at the dress, Spike noticed the few small, straight cuts on its edges. He averted his gaze. “I’d love to but now’s not a good time.”

Rarity coughed. “Yes, well... It was rather rash of me to assume you could just drop everything you’re doing to help little old me. Twilight is sure to have given you more than enough things to do. Here,” she tilted her head to the side, “I haven’t rewarded you for Tuesday when you went gem hunting with me. You were ever so helpful, Spikey-Wikey.”

A small sack rose from the table and floated into Spike’s arms. He salivated at the sparkling contents.

Rarity bowed her head, laying her sewing instruments to rest on the floor. “Oh, how rude of me! I never asked why you were here. Is Twilight sending you on some last-minute errands?”

Spike blinked, head jerking up. Rarity flinched. Her gaze wavered.

“Is... something wrong, Spikey-Wikey?”

“Yes!” Spike scrunched up the sack’s opening and shoved it under his arm. “We need to go!”

“Go?” Rarity repeated. “Is somepony is danger?”

“We’re all in danger!” When Rarity only stared back, he pointed to the open door. “Look outside!”

Rarity strode towards him, slowing down as her eyes honed in on the light behind him. “Is it...?” She hurried to his side, surveying outside with a dumbfounded expression. “Morning already? It can’t be!” Rarity’s voice hitched. “I still have so much left to do!”

“It’s not morning. That’s the point! I’ll explain on the way but we have to go right now!”

“You said that earlier but where to?”

“The town square. Listen...”

Rarity listened in silence as Spike recited what happened, starting with Twilight disrupting his sleep (though he decided to say he was reading a classic novel instead). She gasped after every other sentence and when Spike revealed who stole Celestia’s cutie mark, he could tell she was just stopping herself from interrupting.

“Applebloom?” said Rarity as they crossed the bridge outside her home. “Applebloom is behind this?”

“Yes,” Spike answered for the fifth time.

“But I saw her this afternoon with her friends. They wanted capes so they could play a superhero game.”

Spike frowned. Applebloom mentioned being superheroes at the library. How did that lead to her turning evil? Twilight specifically said she wouldn’t gain her cutie mark by being a villain.

“This is simply awful!” Rarity carried on. “Imagine losing your cutie mark... why, out of all the worst possible things this ranks incredibly high. It totally goes against what the girls are...”

Rarity halted.

“Wait.“ She widened her eyes and turned to Spike. “Where are Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo? They... No...” Rarity wobbled. Spike spread out his legs and extended his arms, but she didn’t faint into them. “They might be with Applebloom!”

“They don’t have a cutie mark. They’ll be fine!”

“But...” Rarity’s lower lip trembled. “But what if they are like her?”

Spike hesitated. This hadn’t occurred to him. It sounded plausible. Very plausible. Too plausible. “I, uh, I’m sure they’re all right. I mean... they would have been seen, right?” His stomach settled. “The Princess would have mentioned them if they were like that.”

“R-Right,” said Rarity.

“And... uh... even if they were, which they’re not, we can still save them.”

Rarity smiled. “Yes, yes. I apologise if I worried you. You’re right. Of course you’re right, the Guards would have seen them. Thank you, Spikey-Wikey.” She nuzzled his cheek. Spike grinned. “Oh!” She lifted her head. “There’s Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash! Yoo-hoo! Over here!”

Spike’s grin dropped. He watched the ponies in question dash towards them. One. Two. He counted them again. One. Two. There was definitely two of them.

“Where’s Fluttershy and Applejack?” asked Spike. “I thought I told you to go get them.”

“I did,” Rainbow Dash replied. “But I found a note on Fluttershy’s door saying she and Applejack went to look for Applebloom in Everfree Forest.”

“What? Seriously?” Spike’s eyes bugged out. “But... how...?”

“Attention, Ponyville!” interrupted a voice that barely punctured the present chatter. Mayor Mare.

Rainbow Dash took flight and the others accompanied her around the town hall. The residents of Ponyville had gathered in front of the Mayor, leaving a large space behind her. They circled it until they saw her. She had her back to them, leaning against a podium as she addressed her citizens.

“The library,” hissed Spike, gesturing for them to follow him. Rarity, Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie nodded.

Mayor Mare’s presence only reached those nearby. She cleared her throat. Ponies in front of her turned and shushed those behind, spreading silence until no one spoke.

“I know everypony is wondering why morning has come early. I am wondering why as well, but I am sure the Princess will alert us soon as possible. There is no point in fretting and if we could all remain quiet and calm, I’m sure the reasoning behind such an event will be explained shortly. Ah, I was right!” She pointed to something beyond and above the crowd. “Here they come now!”

The crowd turned and looked up. Two white pegasi clad in golden armour descended from the sky, pulling a chariot. They pierced a cloud as they sloped downwards, wings pounding the air. As they skimmed over the tip of the town hall’s roof, Spike realised that it was not Celestia in the chariot, as he had assumed.

“Shining Armor!” Rarity exclaimed.

The chariot landed and the pegasi pulling the carriage swerved. Shining Armor jumped out and closed the gap between him and the citizens of Ponyville. Didn’t acknowledge his sister’s friends as he ran by, a pegasus either side of him.

He hadn’t spoken yet his arrival unsettled them. Mayor Mare stepped to the side as he took the podium.

“You’re all got to go home!” Shining Armor instructed. Murmurs met him. “This is serious. Any minute now, a pony with the ability to steal cutie marks will arrive. A pony able to take down Canterlot’s best guards. A pony able to take down Princess Celestia herself!”

“Is that possible?”

“Princess Celestia?”

“We’re doomed!”

The voices built in volume and pitch. Mayor Mare patted the air, saying something no one could hear over Ponyville’s hysteria. Shining Armor’s horn glowed. A bang claimed their attention.

“I will create a shield to give you enough time to hide in your homes. Leave in an orderly manner!”

It didn’t have quite the intended effect but it was enough. The gathering dispersed as ponies departed for their homes, their shrill voices dying away as they sprinted off. Mayor Mare remained where she was and didn’t stir until Rarity broke away from her friends.

“Shining Armor...” Rarity hesitated. Shining Armor kept his back towards her. “How is everything in Canterlot?”

“Where’s Twilight?” he asked.

“At home,” said Spike.

“You shouldn’t keep us waiting,” Shining Armor said, still not turning around. “The Elements of Harmony are our only hope.”

Spike nodded. “Right.” And with that, they hurried past. Caught a glimpse of Shining Armor’s expression. Grim. Contrasted with the Mayor’s confusion.

None of them looked back. The same thought burned their minds. How could they use the Elements of Harmony when two of its wielders were missing? Each of them were necessary. Even if there was only one absent, the Elements wouldn’t work. But they didn’t have enough time to venture into the vastness of Everfree Forest. Shining Armor said they had minutes to spare, and these minutes were already being used.

Twilight nearly tackled them when they entered the library. The chest containing the Elements sat right by the door, and Spike knocked his foot against it when he stepped aside to let the others in.

“Are you all okay?” Spike opened his mouth. “What took you so long?” He shut his mouth and rubbed his foot, his sack of gems clacking as they hit the ground. Twilight looked at each of them in turn, her relieved smile fading. “Where’s Fluttershy and Applejack?”

“Somewhere in Everfree Forest, apparently,” Rarity said. “I’m sorry, but we couldn’t-”

“Sorry? How’s that going to help?” Twilight shouted. Everyone cringed. She sighed and bowed her head. “I’m sorry. It’s not your fault. I shouldn’t be mad at you. But what are we going to do now?”

“You are not all here?” came Luna’s voice. She stood on the upper level of the library. “The Elements are useless if there are absentees.”

“It looks like we’ve got no other option. We’ll have to go to Everfree Forest,” Twilight said. She crossed the room and pulled her satchel over her head. When she rejoined them, she transferred the Elements from the chest into her bag. “Princess, you stay here. Let’s move out, girls!”

“What about me?” asked Spike.

“You need to protect the Princess.”

Spike rolled his eyes. “Yeah, I’ll put up a real good fight.” This seemed to satisfy Twilight for she moved towards the door. He stepped in front of her. “Please, Twilight, let me come with you.”

Twilight looked into his eyes. “I don’t want you to get hurt, Spike.”

“And I don’t want you to get hurt. You’re our top priority... if you lose your cutie mark, you’ll lose your element. You need all six of them if you want to save everyone.”

“But-”

“And not only that, you’re... you.” He picked up his sack of gems and slung it over his shoulder. Spike nearly always missed out on his friends’ adventures, and his role so far today had spurred him on to achieve more. “Applebloom won’t know Princess Luna is here. Come on, Twilight.”

His eyes sparkled.

Twilight exhaled. “... Fine. We’ll be back as soon as we can, Princess.”

“And I await your return with anticipation. I wish you luck!” Luna replied. “Make haste.”

They opened the door and stepped out. Quiet. Spike left last, gently shutting the door behind him. The lack of activity was unnerving. Reminding themselves it meant everypony was inside remedied their unease somewhat.

Spike’s pupils flickered. No signs of evil Applebloom yet.

“This is creepy,” said Rainbow Dash. “It’s like a Ghost Town.”

“It is,” agreed Twilight. As they travelled through Ponyville, the silence started to take its toll. For every second they were safe, the chance of danger rearing its ugly head increased.

“Where is she?” asked Pinkie Pie. “She’s awfully tardy for a bad guy.”

“Sh!” hissed Rainbow Dash. “You say that and she’ll probably arrive right now!”

They all stopped. Looked around. Nothing. They continued, picking up the pace.

Rarity rolled her eyes. “You’re all getting into a panic over something so silly! Twilight’s brother said he was going to perform a shield charm, remember?”

“My brother?” Twilight blinked. “He’s here?”

“Yes. He seemed awfully down,” Rarity mused. “Understandable, really, when the rest of the Royal Guard lost their...” She shivered. “Lost.”

Rainbow Dash dropped to their level, wings still beating. “But wait, if Applebloom can’t get in... how are we supposed to get out?”

“It doesn’t matter because he hasn’t cast his charm yet,” Twilight said. “I would be able to tell if he had.” She stopped walking. “Unless...”

“Unless what?” said Spike although he knew the answer.

“Unless he did and she broke through!” Twilight ducked her head. Ran. Turned when she didn’t hear anyone behind her. “Hurry, we have to-!”

She skidded to a stop. They weren’t looking at her. They focused on something behind her. No. Twilight froze. Someone.

Her chest tightened.

“You said bad cutie marks didn’t exist.” The voice was cold. Tinged with anger. Hate. Things Applebloom wasn’t supposed to be.

Twilight’s friends stepped forward. Twilight shook her head. She breathed in. Turned.

Those weren’t Applebloom’s eyes despite the chilling recognisability of them. That wasn’t her coat. But her mane... the makeshift ribbon... how she had to tilt her head back to meet Twilight’s gaze... Twilight gulped.

“They don’t,” she replied.

“That is where you’re wrong.” Applebloom shifted a hoof towards her. Twilight backed away. The others caught up to her. “I had an epiphany. There is not one bad cutie mark. It is their existence which causes such cruelty. Isolation. Pain.”

“What are you talking about?” said Pinkie Pie, twisting around and showing Applebloom her cutie mark. “They’re totally amazing. They celebrate what’s special about everypony!”

“What’s different.” Applebloom sneered. “They cause segregation between those with them and those without. It even exists within those who have gained theirs. It marks some for greatness and others for less.”

“Cutie marks offer everypony equal opportunity,” Twilight said.

“You are wrong,” said Applebloom. “You are a clever pony, Twilight Sparkle, but you do not know what you’re saying. Your brother gave you all the company you ever wanted. You were gifted a powerful cutie mark. Living in Canterlot has limited your perception of reality. What of my family who have to work all day to get by? Who dedicate their lives to harvesting apples? Are you saying that their cutie marks are of an equal level to yours?”

“The Apple Family take great pride in their work!” countered Rarity. “Not that you would know, what with you not being a part of them.”

“Yeah, You’re not Applebloom!” Rainbow Dash pointed. “You’re... You’re...”

“Nightmare Bloom!” finished Pinkie Pie.

“Hey, that’s pretty clever,” said Spike. He frowned. “Why didn’t I think of that?”

“We have to make do with what we have,” Applebloom retorted. “If we were given the chance to leave this life and enter one of luxury, all of us would gladly take it. Why should the Apple family work their lives on a farm, barely making enough to get by, while ponies like the Spoon and Rich family prosper just because of their cutie marks?”

“Because...” Twilight faltered.

“Exactly.” Applebloom aimed her horn at Twilight. “I plan to rid Equestria of cutie marks. Everypony will have equal opportunity to do whatever they wish.”

“By stealing their talents? The thing that makes them special?”

“Yes.”

“That won’t-”

“Enough! No more talk! Your perceived intelligence is a nuisance. I think I will start with you, Twilight Sparkle, and put you in your place.”

Blue exploded out of Applebloom’s horn. It reached towards Twilight, taking the form of a hand. Twilight tried to move but legs refused to cooperate.

She clenched her eyes shut. Cowered. This was it. She failed. Failed Celestia, her friends, Ponyville... everyone.

A flash. A scream.

Twilight opened her eyes. Untouched. She looked up. Saw flailing limbs.

White and purple in a sea of blue light.

Rarity.

Comments ( 4 )

So... what happened to Diamond Tiara and silver spoon

1232104
I have plans for them.

Okay, I have to say, I have read this story and while it started nice, you have had a tendency in the last chapters, especially the latest one, to write a lot of things that really should be skipped alltogetter.
I think that close to 90% of chapter 8 is redundant and consequently boring, please consider rewriting it.

I read this ages ago on Equestria Daily up to something like the third or fourth chapter or something, and I never saw the story in any of the update posts after that. Then a few weeks ago, this showed up with a part eight in the updates post to remind me it existed, so I found it here and put it on my read later until I finished it just now. What even happened all that time? Was I just coincidentally missing all the update posts this was in, or have you been on a long hiatus?

And by the way, after all this time I am greatly interested in the direction this took, particularly this Nightmare Bloom thing. You don't get many comments, so I read all of them, and I personally disagree with the pacing complaint. I think the speed it moved with after Innocence was introduced helped prevent it from getting too boring, though it did still get a bit slow at times, and I actually like the focus on Spike in the most recent chapter.

In short, I don't really have any major complaints, and the story's actually pretty good in my opinion. It definitely deserves more attention that it's gotten.

Login or register to comment