• Published 13th Jul 2012
  • 751 Views, 4 Comments

Thundering silence - xscar10



Trance is the quiet type, and you know what they say about them, but behind his mask he is smiling.

  • ...
 4
 751

Predators

Azure closed the door behind her, and walked out onto the street. She took the cloth wrapping it around her neck, and continued her three legged canter... but now where will she go? Tinker is who knows where, and her apartment was burned down. Wait, there was still Fauna. Would it be right to ask her for shelter? She doesn't have much of a choice otherwise.
She got a few odd looks as she walked around Canterlot, but didn't so much as acknowledge them. She eventually came to a house four blocks uptown. The address Fauna had given her the night she stayed over. She walked up the steps, and knocked on the door. The door creaked open, and the darkness inside was unsettling.
She took a slow step in, and still saw nothing. Each cautious step inside was followed by the sound of creaking boards under her hooves. Then as she took a last step in, the door slammed behind her, and the room filled with light. The walls were shredded, and the furniture was oddly placed one chair was on the ceiling. Azure turned around, to open the door, only there was no door. She was trapped.
She turned back around, and a door had opened. She walked forward into the open door, seeing a bedroom. It seemed fine, there was nothing out of the ordinary. A bed, nightstand, and a bookshelf. She walked over to the shelf, and pulled out a book. The book was unlabeled, and when she opened it, it was at least five hundred pages... all blank. She put it away and checked the next book, and the next, but they were all the same.
She gave up on the books, and walked over to the nightstand. On it though were some tools that looked out of place, a hammer, a few nails, pliers, a knife, a needle, and thread. All of them recently cleaned. She took a step back stepping in something wet, she looked down, and saw a blackish puddle on the ground. She turned around, and touched it with her hoof. She raised her wet hoof up to examine it, when she noticed it wasn't black, but a deep red.
Her thought was cut off by something hitting her snout. She crossed her eyes, and saw the same deep red liquid on her nose. She looked up to see where it came from, and fear immediately gripped her soul. On the ceiling, suspended with chains, gagged, motionless, and riddled with scars, was Fauna. Her eyes were wide with fear, and her tail was shackled to her neck. The liquid on her hoof, and face was blood.
Azure backed away slowly into the wall. As soon as her flank touched the wall, the sound of whispers filled the air. They were voices coming from nowhere. "Run." "He's coming." "The butcher." "The puppet master." "Shallow Graves." "Shallow Graves." "Shallow Graves." They repeated in her ears, and as her fear rose, she started to hear the sound of drums. Then a voice. The voice of the pony she had seen in the old cabin. He was singing?

Where did my little one go?
It seems he has escaped.
A past you cannot change.
You think he can be saved?

*Azure turns to the door and sees him leering wrathfully down at her*

He need his daddy now.
Coughing up a storm.
Now you have need to fear.
Because he ran away from home.

*She backed away slowly*

The months roll by, he's growing slowly.
It seems the years have come and gone.
I raised young Fallout with the best intentions.

But here's what I will tell you.
He was lost when you came near.
Not a drop of fear was building up inside.

*She is backed into a corner*

Fallout cannot leave.
He is my plaything.
He cannot be saved.
Before you he always behaved.

*He turned his back to her*

The months roll by, he's growing slowly.
It seems the years have come and gone.
I raised young Fallout with the best intentions.

But here's what I will tell you.
He was lost when you came near.
Not a drop of fear was building up inside.

*He turns back to her, his pupils so small, they might as well not be there. His voice grew more demonic with each word*

I'm the master.
I'm the butcher.
It is vulgar.
It is torture.

*She closes her eyes in fear*

Untold horrors, I dig more up.
Unmatched hatred, I dig more up.
It's in my name, I dig more up.
You cannot run, I'm Shallow Graves!

As the music stopped, so did the song. Azure was waiting for him to do something, but he never did. She opened her eyes and saw him sitting and smiling at her.
"Y-you aren't going to hurt me?" She asked, looking up at him.
"Nope, I only wanted to scare you." He said, laughing mischievously.
"Why?" She asked, shaking her head.
"Well, it's one of the few things I really enjoy." He said rubbing his fore-hooves together. "I look scary, and I can get a good laugh." He bared his sharp teeth in a grin.
"So you don't hurt anypony?" She asked, not remotely sure what to think of this whack-a-doodle.
"Oh, I never said that. After all, you can't have true mortal terror without pain can you?" He said, levitating the knife in front of him. "Like your friend up there, she is genuinely terrified, because I put her through so much pain." He slid the knife across her cheek slowly.
"Why are you doing this?" Azure asked, her eyes starting to water.
"The question is not why, it is if." He said, bobbing a brow.
"What?" Azure looked up at him and he cocked his head.
"Am I actually hurting them, or is it an illusion?" He chuckled. "Look, I'll give you this one for free. This is an illusion. Your friend Fauna is fine. The rest you'll have to figure out yourself." He waved his hoof, and the room looked normal.
"So you do this for your amusement?" Azure asked, disgustedly.
"You're my plaything, remember?" He smiled again, this time more evilly. "You're lucky, I usually don't let them know about the game." He said with a shrug.
"Why would you play such a sick game?" She glared at him. His smile melted slowly into a look of displeasure.
"Do you really want to know why?" He asked rhetorically. "I'll let you find out, and you'll choose how. Option one. You can follow Fallout. Dos. You can follow the clues. Or C. You can see it from my point of view." She half smiled.
"I'll follow Fallout." She said, standing up and dusting off.
"Oh come now, everyone expected you to say that. Don't disappoint the readers." He said mock pouting. "Umm... I'll pretend that made sense." She said, rolling her eyes.

He sighed and waved is hoof, opening the door. "Fine, follow Fallout then." He crossed his forelegs. "Just mind you this, Fallout is my favorite toy. If he breaks, I'll hold you responsible." He leaned forward. "Also... last note, all the options end the same." He licked his lips, and tipped his hat.
"Fine, I'll play your game. For now." Azure said, and he chuckled insincerely. He clicked his hooves together, and in a flash she was standing alone outside Fauna's house. She looked around, seeing the entire street deserted. Odd for this time of day. She lurched forward, knocking on the door. She heard a shuffling inside, followed by Fauna opening the door.
"Hey Azure, what's up?" Fauna asked rubbing her eye.
"I'm sorry I have to ask you this, but can I stay over for a while?" Azure asked, sitting down. Her flank was starting to hurt from lifting her leg for so long.
"Sure, come in." Fauna answered. Azure hobbled in, and sat down.
"What's with your leg?" Fauna asked, motioning to her bandages.
"I slipped down some stairs, but that's not important." Azure pulled the cloth from around her neck, and set it down.
"What are those?" Fauna was getting a little suspicious of Azure''s strange behavior.
"Notes and an old journal I found. I've read the journal already, but I still need to read the notes. She opened the first note, and inside it read...

Day 1 My wife got me a journal today, she said she got it from an old stallion who didn't need it anymore. I honestly don't know what a horseshoe maker would need with a journal, but it made her so happy.

It was then she noticed on the side of the page, it had been torn from the journal. She opened the journal, and placed it inside. Using magic, she mended the torn page, back into place. She turned to the stack of pages and opened the next one.

Day 3 The stallion I met the other day came by my store; he didn't buy anything, but he did seem oddly interested in my son.

She put it in the journal, and mended the page as well. Opening each and doing the same.

Day 2 I met a stallion today, an odd fellow. He had a top hat, and a scraggly black mane, and tail. Most odd though, was his eyes. The center was oddly small, unlike the average pony's eye. He gave me an eerie feeling, which is why I turned his offer down.

Day 9 They took my son! How could they say I was unfit to care for him?! Who is more fit than I?! He is my flesh and blood! Did I not carry him to the hospital myself?! Did I not pull him from the flames as our home burned?! This journal seemed to escape the grasp of the flames somehow, along with the box, and I know he must have been involved.

Day 4 My shop has been getting less and less business, but that stranger keeps returning, and offering me the same deal again, and again. I just might take him up on his offer.

Day 5 Me and my wife had a fight, I told her I was going to accept the stranger's request, and she thought I was crazy. Maybe she was right; I mean, a stallion comes up to you and offers to solve all your problems if you play a game with him? It does sound a might convoluted, but what choice have I?

Day 6 I accepted the stranger, but we never got around to playing that game. He said my problems would be fixed by morning. I'm waiting to see what the results of this... deal, are.

Day 7 I couldn't believe my eyes! 20 mares came into the store all at once wanting shoes! I had my work cut out for me, but the money was fantastic! I suspect this was the stranger's doing, but my wife still thinks I was wrong.

Day 8 I'm getting my journal entry done early today, I have a lot to do and I'll probably be too tired to write tonight. I noticed something odd the last few days; I'll hear or see something in the corner of my eye, but when I look nothing is there. Also The stranger never showed up to play his "game" like he asked, but more customers are lining up each day.

Day 11 Since Peach's... passing... all I have left to remember her is this journal, and at times I think it's all that keeps me sane... If I even am, that is. I'm seeing visions of horrible things, but I always wake up back in my shop, sleeping at my mannequin's feet. He came back today, and I confronted him, saying I wasn't going to find this Esmeralda he was looking for. He got angry at first, but he calmed down, saying he knew just who could find her.

Azure put in the last page, and Fauna read over her shoulder. "What are those?" Fauna asked as Azure mended the page and walked over to a chair.
"Twenty one pages of the journal of an unfortunate man." Azure sighed, exhausted by everything that's happened. Fauna sat down flipping through the pages.
"You mean twenty two." She said as she counted them.
"No, there are two other pages I know of, but they aren't in there." Azure leaned forward onto the table.
"No I count twenty two pages here." Fauna pointed to the book.
"Twenty two? What?" Azure looked over to the book.
"Look one through nine. Then eleven through fourteen. Then sixteen through nineteen. Last is twenty four through twenty six, and the two unlabeled ones." Fauna, counted.
"Two unlabeled ones?" Azure walked back over to the book, and saw the last page, past pages twenty six, and run.

YOU DIDN'T RUN

Azure's blood ran cold, and she stumbled back. She quickly regained her composure, and fixed her hair. "What have you been doing Azure?" Fauna asked, her suspicion growing. Azure stood silent for a moment, worried about involving Fauna, but she didn't have much of a choice.
"I've been investigating. I followed Trance just like I said I wouldn't." She said, and gave a defeated, half smile.
"If these are your results, then are you sure you want to keep going?" She hadn't contemplated going back, escaping as it were, but even so, it was probably much too late now.
"No, but I have to. Going back now won't help me." She said, and found her eyelids heavier. Strangely, though she had gotten up mere hours ago, she was tired again.
"Ok, just... be careful." Fauna said, with a sigh.
"I will... by the way, if it wouldn't be so much of a problem, do you have a place I could sleep?" Azure asked, rubbing her head with her hoof.
"Oh, if you need to, you can use my room. It's there on the left." Fauna pointed to the room, and Azure looked. It was the same bedroom from the illusion, which frightened her slightly. She looked back to Fauna, and nodded.
"Thanks, I had a rough night." She said, and limped toward it.
"Don't worry, and if you need me I work across the street." Fauna said, strapping her bag to her back.
"You're not staying?" Azure asked, quickly discarding her question. "I'll keep it in mind." She opened the door, seeing the same room, obviously Fauna wasn't strapped to the ceiling. The room was dim, but not dark, and she could hear the front door close as she crawled into bed. She sprawled out and gave a sigh of relief. Getting off her leg felt fantastic, and her flank could rest. She curled up with a pillow between her legs, and under her head. She laid in bed, expecting to fall asleep, but didn't. She sat there for a while, just waiting for sleep.

As she got bored, she started listening. There was silence, a thick silence. You know the type right? The silence so quiet it's like a loud noise itself. The kind of quiet that makes you wish for a noise to break it. The kind of quiet that even the sound of your heart beating comforts you.
She laid in bed with a slight unease, you would think that knowing you could hear everything might console you, but it didn't. She laid there anxiously, awaiting some noise to offset the deafening quiet. Unfortunately she had no such luck. She just sat motionless, waiting for sleep. She, again, had no such luck.
She was lying in bed, with her eyes shut knowing there was nothing to worry about. There was an abrupt creaking that sounded a lot louder than it was due to the intense quiet. Her eyes shot open, but nothing was there. She craned her head around, and still nothing. It must have been the house settling. She convinced herself she was just getting paranoid, and there was still nothing here.
She laid he head back down, and shut her eyes tightly. She sat for another ten minutes, but she just wouldn't fall asleep. Her whole body was tense, and she didn't want to open her eyes. She was sure that she was just being paranoid, but her body didn't know. She sat frozen, her legs seemed to have turned to lead, because they wouldn't budge. Eventually she opened her eyes, seeing the same room, and closed them again seconds later.
Out of the still air was the sound of creaking again. Her eyes opened again, but more slowly, and only for a moment. Nothing had changed. The sound was disregarded, and she continued trying to sleep. She tightened her blanket around her, trying to calm herself. It was working. The covers surrounding her felt like a tight warm hug. It was soothing, but not enough.
There was more dead air followed by the creaking again, but this time she didn't even bother. She sat still, refusing to acknowledge the noise, when she noticed she was holding her breath. Her heart was pumping hard, not fast, but hard. She was scared; she knew there was nothing to be scared of, but that didn't matter. The house creaked again, and she couldn't stand the anxiety. Her eyes opened, seeing, again, nothing.
She let out her breath as a sigh, and rolled over, meeting with two frantic eyes staring into hers. They seemed suspended in darkness, and she was frozen in fear.
"Good, you're still awake." They said, in a low whisper. She could have sworn her pupils shrunk to the same size as it's, and couldn't let out more than a whimper. Then she remembered...

"Shallow." She said, trying to dispel her fear. Then his face emerged from the dark, but slightly different from before. His fur was replaced with scales, and he had a second row of sharp teeth, but his eyes were the same.
"Yes? Is there something I can do for you?" He asked, his eyes still shaking, looking frantic, excited.
"That's enough with the illusion, I know it's you." She said, retreating her face from his.
"Now now, dear girl, I told you only that one was free." He said, as his hatted head curled around behind her with a freakishly long neck.
"But I figured it out..." She said, as his neck curled around again and again.
"Oh, but have you? How can you tell if this is in fact an illusion?" He smiled at her as one would a prize to be won.
"Well you... can't actually..." She stopped as his snout stopped just by her ear.
"Let me ask you, what is the scariest, something after you that you can't reason with, something that you think you can reason with, or something that you can reason with?" He asked, just next to her ear.
"What...?" Azure was confused.
"If it's like an animal, something you can't reason with, you know exactly what it wants, no negotiating. If you can reason with it, it's rational, it wants something, and is after you for it, disregarding morals for it... but if you think you can reason with something, but you can't... You beg and plead for your life in vain, as they will ignore everything, with no idea why it's after you." She could hear him lick his lips again. Her sweat grew colder as her heart beat faster.
"That's a weird question to ask. Aren't I the one that's supposed to get scared?" She responded, not even thinking about the question.
"Oh Azure, dear sweet Azure, trying to be brave. It's adorable... and tantalizing." He almost growled, licking her ear. Wait... an illusion can't touch. Her heart sank, and her breath followed. "What's wrong love? Don't understand?" He chuckled, snaking his head in front of her.
"Don't worry, you will." He smiled at her, and eyes only seemed to grow more frantic, darting back and forth. It occurred to her that he was acting differently with every appearance, like he was lost in his own madness. Suddenly his face changed to a look of animal that hears a predator nearby, and he acted like he was listening for something. He quickly uncurled his neck, and disappeared into the darkness.

No sooner than he faded away, she laid her head down, and her mane splashed out like white gold melted across her pillow. Her eyes lidded heavily, and her long ebony lashes batting gently. Her tongue slipped from between her lips, wetting them softly. She just wanted to forget what had happened, and sleep. Her body laid delicately across the bed, she looked so elegant, so fragile.
All that she'd been through had taken it's toll on her. Her muzzle caressed her soft pillow, and a trickle of sweat lingered down her jaw. She readjusted her body, curling her back outward. Her firm flank pointed perkily out, with her tail up, swaying off the side of the bed. Her bad leg was curled underneath her, and the other was frailly set across it. It started to drizzle outside, providing some background noise, lulling her to sleep. She slept in her graceful pose for hours not moving an inch. She made a few subtle noises, sounding no more distinct than a moan.
"Umm... whoa." A gruff voice said; they were somewhere in the room, but she couldn't tell where. She lifted her head, seeing a stallion standing in the door; sweat inching down her chest, she had a light blush from the heat. The male unicorn's blush however was from the provocative pose she seemed to be in, not at all aided by her heavy lidded eyes that looked seemingly seductive themselves.
"Fauna... Who's the... tender filly eyeing me from the bed?" He asked off to the side, a confused look on his face.
"Hmm?" Fauna walked into view. "Oh! Azure! I forgot!" Fauna exclaimed, but her smile slowly turned awkward at the sight.
"What? What's wrong?" Azure yawned, rubbing her hoof with her eye.
"You're... your... umm..." The stallion muttered, rubbing his neck. Azure looked down to her alluring position, and position of her tail. Her face contorted in embarrassment. She pulled her tail between her legs and hugged it tightly.
"Stop looking at me like that!" She squeaked, laying her face in the pillow, and slamming the door shut with magic. Even after the door was shut, her horn still shown silver as she held it closed. A few minutes past, and Azure eventually hobbled out of the room.
"Sorry about barging in like we did." The stallion said shortly.
"It's... fine." Azure said tuning her snout away.
"Come on Azure, it's not like it's never happened before." Fauna said, with a sympathetic tone.
"Can we please change the subject?" Azure asked flipping her hair.

Fauna sighed, and looked at the stallion, who was nodding. "Oh you haven't been introduced yet!" Fauna said, trotting over. "Azure, this is my brother Cole Volt. Cole, this is my friend Azure." Fauna introduced them, and Cole nodded.
"It's nice to meet a friend of Kit's." Cole said, he smiled, but it felt like there wasn't much effort in it. His yellow coat, and black mane were slightly unkempt; giving the effect that he was either really busy, or just didn't care.
"Kit?" Azure said ever so lightly bewildered.
"Oh, that's what he calls me." Fauna said, shaking her head.
"Well it's nice to meet you too." Azure said limping toward the door.
"What's wrong with your leg?" Cole asked, frowning.
"Oh, nothing. I just fell, and sprained it, that's all." Azure said, waggling the bum leg in the air.
"Hmm..." Cole walked over, and leaned his head over, touching her leg with his horn. A zap of electricity ran through her leg, and she jumped.
"Ow! What was that for?!" Azure turned to him, and he kept frowning.
"Running an electrical current through a muscle makes it heal faster." He said seemingly oblivious to her pain.
"...Well you could have warned me." She said, with a huff. He simply shrugged, and walked away. He walked off into the kitchen, and Fauna cleared her throat.
"Sorry about that. He has a bit of a... communication problem." She said, rolling her eyes.
"I'm sure he means well." Azure scratched her head.
"We were just about to have dinner, you want to join us?" Asked Fauna, motioning to the kitchen.
"I'm sorry, but I'm expecting someone." Azure bowed her head.
"Expecting someone here?" Fauna asked, sitting in front of her.
"I don't know where, but I know it'll be soon." Azure said, rubbing her cheek with her hoof. She found herself thinking back, if only for a second, of his hoof on her cheek. She quickly remembered where she was, and set her hoof down.
"Looks like he's someone important, huh?" Fauna nudged her with her elbow.
"Oh! That's why we found you like that, you were expecting him to show!" Fauna stated, making the connections in her mind.
"What?! No! I was not! Well I was, but not like that!" Azure exclaimed, blushing embarrassingly.

Tap...Tap...Tap...

Azure's eyes darted to the door. While Fauna stood in shock.

Tap...Tap...Tap...

The door opened on it's own. On the other side stood, of course, a masked Trance. He walked in, and Fauna retreated. "Hello Trance." Said Azure, and even though she knew he was with Shallow, she still trusted him... for some reason. He seemed innocent at least. Trance stood in the doorway looking at her, and she walked over.
"You aren't seriously going with him are you?!" Fauna stated rather than asked.
"It's ok, I'll be fine with him." Azure said, smiling and looking at him, as emotionless as he was.
"You... You're serious." Fauna's face didn't even register as shock any more.
"There's still more I have to know, and only he can show me." Azure looked at her friend, her eyes pleading for her to understand.
"Fine... but I won't be responsible for you." Fauna said, feeling the opposite to be true.
"Don't worry about me, go and eat with your brother, and I'll be back before you know it." Azure nodded. Trance turned, and started walking out the door. "Goodbye!" Azure waved to Fauna, and followed Trance.
"Bye! Be safe!" Fauna waved back as they walked up the street. Trance and Azure walked leisurely toward Canterlot castle. Azure had so many questions, and so few answers. Every answer seemed to have raised more questions. She followed him, and sneaked past the guards. They wandered through the many halls of the castle, and to a large metal door. Inside was a hall, forked in two directions. Trance walked ahead, and though the path was blocked off, he pushed a board out of the way, letting her through. She climbed a set of stairs, and down a hall that ended in a barred door. She looked down to see Shallow graves just below her, but looking weak and sickly.
"All will be revealed in time brother. Just know, if she is given half a reason, you'll end up in a worse place than me." He stood and walked off to the side, glancing upward at her. "Now, you should be going, you have a dinner to attend." He waved his hoof at somepony apparently below her.
"I'll go, but just tell me who you are before I go." Said the voice of the pony.
"Call me... Shallow Graves. Farewell, my friend. May your day be fruitful." He said, and the pony apparently left. Afterwords he looked up at her with a bemused grin. "Ah, ma cheri, salutations et accueil. Welcome to my humble abode." He said, licking his lips.
"So this is where you really are?" Azure asked, and sat down.
"Sadly so, yes. I regret to say Celestia doesn't exactly trust me... but do not fret, though I am weakened in this cage, I still have enough power to effect the world ever so slightly." He chuckled, his laugh seemed forced though.

"So why am I here?" Azure asked, looking around.
"Oh ma belle pĂȘche, you wanted to know why I play 'such a sick game'. So I showed you. I'm trapped here, Celestia tricked me in here long ago. I'm just occupying my time, getting revenge, and enacting a master plan all at once." He said, trotting over to his window.
"Why would you tell me this?" Asked Azure.
"Why does everyone ask that? Think, I've been alone for twenty four years. I'm lonely, and tired of talking to myself... Don't get me wrong, Trance, my boy, is a great listener, but doesn't exactly contribute to the conversation." He said, turning back to her.
"If you're so powerful why don't you leave?" Azure asked sarcastically.
"This cage is a power dampener. Though my magic is weak I still have some power." He said, tilting his head.
"Why didn't Celestia take away all your power?" Azure asked, raising an eyebrow.
"Two reasons: one, I'm stronger than her, and two she doesn't like killing." He said with a sigh.
"Killing?" Azure stated rather than asked.
"Didn't I mention? I'm technically dead. I'm holding myself together with magic." He said grinning sarcastically.
"You're... dead?" Azure asked, stepping back.
"Yes, if you cut off my magic I would die. Sad isn't it?" He pretended to pout.
"No, what's sad is that you wasted twenty four years getting revenge." Azure said flatly, surprising Shallow.
"Fiery one aren't you?" He said jokingly. "Oh ma charmant petit. Revenge is just a plus... I want freedom." He said, and put a hoof on his window. "And... if you help me, I'll give you something I know you want." He said looking behind her. She looked back toward Trance.
"But I don't-" She started. "Don't lie to me, I can read your mind... You have some naughty dreams petite pouliche." He laughed as her face turned red.
"B-but..." She wanted to lie to him, but what would be the point?
"If you help me... he's yours." He growled ominously. She thought for a moment. "You don't have to answer right now... think it over... take your time... I've got nowhere to be." He rolled his eyes. "Think about it..." He said, ginning mischievously.

Comments ( 0 )
Login or register to comment