• Published 7th Jun 2017
  • 6,787 Views, 225 Comments

Taming Equestria - Ronnoc543



A young man forced into extraordinary circumstances after an experiment gone wrong has to deal with starting a new life in a strange world plagued with talking ponies. All while forced into the body of a young foal.

  • ...
34
 225
 6,787

Chapter 3: A Series of Unfortunate Events

Author's Note:

Chapter 3 is finally complete! Over the next few days I will be taking the time to revise and perfect the foundation of this story before I continue onward with more chapters.

Once again thank you to everyone who has supported me with this endeavor. This has turned into much more than I ever thought it would have.

I hope you enjoy.

“Are you okay there Arty?” asked the concerned nurse, staring quizzically at my reaction. I could barely hear her through the haze that now fogged my conscious.

How is this even possible? I thought to myself in a panic.

This body must have come from somewhere; I don’t know why I had never never considered that a possibility. It was sickening to believe that I may have hijacked the body of some child that was just minding his own business. Of course, there was always the chance that these ponies were just confused and I wasn’t really the one they were searching for. Regardless of the explanation, I was going to need to talk to these parents to get a better idea of what happened before I arrived here.

“Arty?” she repeated with a frantic look in her eyes; a look that told me I better respond before she called the doctor.

“Sorry!” I blurted out. “I was just a little… surprised is all.” At least that one wasn’t a blatant lie. All of this dishonesty was starting to drain on me. I was certainly no paragon of virtue, but I’d like to think that I was at least somewhat of a good person. I knew that one day I was going to owe this nurse a sincere apology; if I ever got the chance that is.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” she asked again, clearly still not entirely convinced.
“Yeah yeah, I’m sure. Sorry if I startled you.” I felt like all I had been doing since I arrived was apologize for my constant mistakes. “So how did you find them?” I asked, genuinely curious.
Before the nurse could respond, I noticed a figure step into my periphery. “I believe I could help you with that.” Interrupted a brown coated mare in uniform. She was wearing a tall hat that made her look like an old British constable, and her flank tattoo resembled a corpulent looking Billy Club. I almost chuckled when I saw the resemblance, but stopped myself before I made the situation worse.

“This little colt’s a runner,” she continued stoically. “His parents were looking for him all over Canterlot when he went missing. Apparently they were planning on moving here to Ponyville and this little guy wasn’t too happy with the change in scenery. Ironically, turns out he ran right into the place he was hoping to avoid.”

“What I never…” I muttered, mostly to myself.

“His parents are the nicest ponies you’ll ever meet,” she interrupted. “They never thought it would be possible for him to make it this far on his own. When they found out there was a missing foal located in Ponyville, they came here as quickly as they could to see if it was their son.” As she finished her explanation, I could see the mare shoot me a dirty look out of the corner of her eye.

Everything here just keeps getting stranger and stranger. I thought to myself. What if these parents really are looking for their long lost son who ran away from them?

I could tell from the stoic stance and monotone voice of the mare that she was strictly a professional and took her job very seriously. I needed to meet with these ponies before I could do anything. I knew that if I were in their position I would be frantic with worry.

“Oh that’s just horrible!” exclaimed Nurse Redheart. “It’s unfortunate that he still can’t remember much from before the accident Ms…”

“Hot Fuzz, a pleasure to-”

This time I couldn’t help myself. I let out a stifled chuckle and she quickly turned to scowl at me.

“Is something funny to you?” Her glare hardened as she took a step closer to me.

“No, no it’s nothing.” I said, after taking a second to regain my composure. “It’s just an… inside joke that I remembered from earlier.” I pled with a convincing smile. “I meant no harm by it, I promise.”

“This kid’s quite the hoof full isn’t he,” she asked rhetorically.

“He’s been through a lot,” replied Redheart defensively. “I can’t speak about what happened with his parents, but I promise he’s been polite with the hospital staff.” I’m surprised by how forgiving she is, especially considering how much grief I must have caused her over the previous few days.

“Whatever. He’s his parent’s problem not mine,” she responded dismissively. “Your parents are waiting in the other room talking with the doctor. Let’s reunite you so that I can get back to work.”

The constable closed the final few steps remaining between us and nudged me in the direction of the hallway next to the reception area. It was almost as if she was herding me like a lost sheep that wandered too far away from the pack. Based on the location, I assumed that the room must be the doctor’s office where he conducted his private business.

Upon reaching our destination, I could clearly hear three distinct voices coming from the other side of the door.

Here goes nothing, I told myself as my guide knocked heartily against the door.

After a brief pause in dialogue, a confident voice streamed from the other room. “Yes, bring him in,” boomed the voice of Helping Hooves.

My heart was beating into my chest as the door slowly creaked open in front of me. I had never been one for awkward situations, but this definitely had to take the cake for the strangest situation I had ever found myself in. These parents were most likely relieved to have finally found their child, and I knew for a fact that they are either mistaken, or I had accidentally taken the body of their sweet colt from them. Regardless of whether or not it was my fault, I couldn’t help but feel terrible for them.

As I walked slowly into the room my worst fears looked to be confirmed. Doctor Helping Hooves sat behind a large mahogany desk covered in papers, post it notes, and other various office supplies. I didn’t think this hospital was very large, but he clearly looked to be a busy man. On the other side of the table was two adult ponies. I could tell from their reaction that they looked to be a little relieved with my sudden presence.

The purple coated mare with an auburn mane appeared as if the smallest touch would cause her to shatter into a million pieces. The tattoo upon her flank resembled what I assumed to be a cooking pot burning over a small fire. Her alabaster coated husband was tenderly holding her hoof as she held a well used tissue in the other. Clearly she had been through a lot over the last few days.

Her husband on the other hand seemed to be very composed and indifferent to the situation. I honestly couldn’t tell if he wasn’t very concerned, or if he was retaining his composure to help support his wife. The short black mane that topped his head parted gracefully for the horn that lie on the front of his forehead, and his flank mark; two pale black musical notes, accented his coat very well. He looked tired, but certainly not as disheveled as his wife was.

“Arty!” Before I could properly react, I felt myself being pulled into a warm embrace. “We were so worried about you! I’m so glad you’re okay!” My lungs started to ache as she constricted me like a rattlesnake honing in on its prey. “I know you aren’t happy with the move honey. But please just give this a chance, I promise you that everything will be okay,” she pleaded with me as I could feel her tears begin to stain my coat.

At this point my face was most likely purple from lack of oxygen, but that was the least of my worries.

I couldn’t bring myself to do this, I just couldn’t. Consequences be damned, there was no way that was going to try to convince these two that I was their son. I didn’t care if telling them the truth would wind me up in an insane asylum, I wasn’t going to manipulate to these two clearly frightened parents.

“Guys…” I began, as the mare reluctantly removed me from her embrace like a mother forced to give up her baby. “I’m really sorry about this whole situation, but I’m not your son.” I recoiled a bit from the absurdity of my own statement.

“What do you mean?” interjected the father. “Of course you are boy! I know we messed up, but you’re still our son!” he added with no room for argument.

“That’s not what I mean sir. I mean that I am truly… not your son.” Before he could interrupt again I quickly appended another statement. “My name is Artemio Baldarich, and I am a human from another planet.” I stated with an air of confidence. “I’m not sure how I ended up here in the body of your son, but I am certainly not him.”

After of moment of bewilderment, the white coated stallion resumed his dissuasive remarks. “What did they do to your head here boy?” he stated as he glared accusingly at the doctor. “Your name is Artemis Starseeker, and my son is certainly no alien from another planet.” He put a hoof to my chest proudly as he finished his statement.

“Artemis Starseeker?” I repeated back to myself in disbelief.

“That’s right boy and don’t you ever forget it,” he said sharply. The strange harshness of his tone caused the rest of us in the room to look at him in shock. “Sorry about that…” he replied, nervously rubbing through his mane with a hoof. “It’s just that we’ve been over this before when he started using that… silly nickname.”

“Oh come on Adagio,” teased his wife with a bit of an undertone. “I like ‘Arty’, it’s a cute nickname.” She tousled my mane gently with a hoof, as if to justify her assertion.

“Right then,” interjected the doctor. “I hate to interrupt your family reunion, but I would very much like to sort out this paperwork so that we can get Arty… eh Artemis home as soon as possible.”

The shock wore off after hearing the doctor refer to me with that abomination of a name. “Guys look… I know it’s a little hard to believe, but I am telling you the truth. I am not your son; I don’t even know who you guys are. If you would just give me a moment to explain I’m sure-”

“Enough of that Artemis,” interrupted the doctor. “I’m not sure if you’re acting out, or if the accident is still clouding your memory, but trust me, these two are your parents.”

“How can you know that?” I responded indignantly.

“They’ve got all of your paperwork right here Arty.” He held up a hefty packet of papers and started to sift through them. “Let’s see here…” He pulled out a small square of parchment that I assumed must be a birth certificate and placed it down in front of me.


Canterlot General Birth Certificate

Name: Artemis Starseeker

Parents: Adagio and Maple Starseeker

Coat Color: Light grey

Mane Color: Royal purple with a hint of turquoise

Eye Color: Light blue

Race: Unicorn

Born: 7/17/3045 4:32 p.m.


“What- this can’t be real.” I pled, after I finished reading through the certificate. “I mean- this might be real, but that isn’t me!”

“It’s not just that Arty, they have everything: school records, vaccinations, passport, unique identification number.” He looked at me with a bit of a frown. “There’s not much room for interpretation here.”

“I know how it looks but-” I began.

“Constable?” inquired the doctor. A small shifting could be heard as the door reopened to reveal the police mare. “Could you please take Arty out to wait in the lobby while we deal with this…” He paused for a moment, searching for the right way to phrase what they needed to do. “Grownup stuff?” he finished.

“Sure thing doc,” replied the stalwart mare as she ushered me out the door.

I spend my time waiting in the lobby utterly dumbfounded. I had so many questions and very few answers.

Who are these ponies? Where did those documents come from? How is it that my name could be so similar to that of this foal? The answers to these questions completely escaped me. I didn’t have much time to think before I could hear the door down the hall open, revealing the mirthful laughter emanating from inside the private office.

“Thank you so much for all the help, doctor,” Adagio said sincerely.

“Yes, thank you doctor. I don’t know what kind of state my little boy would be in without your help,” replied Maple.

“I’m just doing my job here miss,” the doctor said with an air of pride. “Just make sure to bring him back in a few days like we talked about. I know you all must be very busy with setting up the new house, but I want to be absolutely certain that he’s going to be okay.”

“Don’t worry, doc, you have our word that we will bring him back as was discussed,” the alabaster stallion responded confidently.

After the doctor was sufficiently reassured, I could hear the door click shut and the sound of hooves moving towards my general direction. I was sitting next to Nurse Clearview and the constable, but they could both tell by my demeanor that I was not in the mood for talking.

“Well, I think that’s my cue to leave.” The constable rose from the chair she was occupying and turned to address me. “Make sure you don’t get into any more trouble kid. You’re the last thing I need to be worrying about in this town.” She left the room quickly before I could utter a response. I certainly hoped I wouldn’t have a reason to be needing her assistance in the future.

“Don’t mind her. She may seem like a brick wall, but I can assure you that deep down she cares deeply about this town and its residents,” Nurse Clearview said reassuringly. “Oh, and make sure you stop by to see Twilight Sparkle when you get a chance. You should thank her for carrying you here after the accident.”

My head perked up at the mention of the name. “Twilight Sparkle?” I repeated.

“Yep, she’s the local librarian. You can find her in the hollowed-out tree in the middle of town. Can’t miss it,” she responded.

“Thanks, I’ll be sure to stop by when I get a chance,” I said, beginning to stand as my new ‘parents’ walked into view. “And thanks for everything Clearview, you’ve been a real help to me in this time of need.” I smiled lightly to convey my honesty.

“No problem Arty, I’ll be sure to pass your thanks on to Redheart when I see her again. She’s been acting all out of sorts since she came back this evening,” she added offhandedly. “Well anyways, I’ve got work that I need to get back to. Good luck Arty!” She quickly embraced me before continuing off down the hallway.

“Well, let’s get you home boy.” Adagio said, as he walked over with Maple in tow. “Celestia knows it’s been a long couple of days.”

“I couldn’t agree more,” Maple added as she affectionately rubbed herself against her husband’s coat. Clearly these two are quite the romantics.

We left the hospital shortly thereafter with no complaints from myself. I tried everything I could to be honest with these folks and there was just no way that they could believe me. Hell, they wouldn’t even give me enough time to explain myself before shrugging it off as memory loss or the ravings of a recalcitrant child.

As we made our escape from the hospital’s lobby, the bright sun burned a permanent mark into my vision. At this point I had been inside for a long time, so it understandably took awhile for my body to re-acclimate to the outside world.

What I saw when my vision finally returned to me was definitively awe inspiring. The quaint village that surrounded me certainly wasn’t the sprawling suburbs that I was used to, but it definitely permeated a peaceful undertone that was quite refreshing. Short one or two story buildings extended in both directions from the small hospital that we had just exited. The area looked to be an economic district of sorts, with many shops and stores lining the pony filled streets.

Speaking of ponies, oh boy was there a lot of them. Scattered all throughout the streets, the polychromatic mass of equines was a sight to behold. The number of ponies occupying the various nooks and crannies of the various businesses was much more than I anticipated for such a small town. From my vantage point I could make out three distinct types of ponies roaming about the village: unicorns like myself, ponies with wings which I assumed to be pegasi, and normal ponies that didn’t have either supplementary feature.

After a moment of staring in wonderment, I noticed that I was standing alone on the hospital steps.

“The house is this way,” Adagio said with an irritated stare; his was hoof lifted, pointing up the road to the left of me.

Even with his encouragement, I was still thoroughly frozen in place. I realized that I was completely out of my element here; suddenly the true breadth of my situation was beginning to dawn on me.

New doubts began to flood my mind. What if I really can’t find a way back home? What if this is my new life?

I tossed the thoughts away as soon as they occurred to me. Pessimism wasn’t going to help me out of this predicament; I knew it was better to stay positive.

I delicately made my way down the steps to meet up with my new guides. As bitter as it was, there was not much that I could do at the moment other than go along with this charade. As I made my way down the last step, a bright pink flurry of movement quickly filled my vision.

“Hi there!” exclaimed the new voice.

“Uh… hi, good to meet you,” I replied in attempt to not be off-putting, despite my current mood.

The mare behind the voice was almost offensively pink; the only other color to grace her coat was the cyan and yellow in the three-balloon tattoo that occupied her flank. Everything about this pony from the mannerisms to the boisterous voice screamed extroversion.

“Good to meet you too!” she added with a bright smile. “My name is Pinkie Pie, but you can call me just Pinkie if you would like- not JUST Pinkie but ya know- just Pinkie!”

“Okay…?” I replied cautiously. I don’t know what it was, but this mare seemed unstable to me.

“We were all so worried about you when we heard about the-“ Pinkie began, before being interrupted by the imposing white figure that stepped in between us.

“We don’t have the time to be twiddling our hooves Artemis.” The scowl coming from Adagio almost made my heart stop with fear.

“Yes come along now Arty,” Maple interjected more delicately, “We need to get you home so that you can rest up.”

“Yeah, boy, the new house awaits your presence,” he said, looking knowingly to Maple.

“I’m sure you’ll love it,” she replied with a smirk.

I couldn’t shake the feeling that something felt off about these two.

"Oki doki loki then!" The pink mare waved in response as we started to trail away. "Let me know when Arty's feeling better so that I can give him the proper Ponyville introduction!"

"Will do," Maple responded dismissively.

After a short walk, we arrived at a small thatched roof house that I assumed must be their new domicile. It wasn’t anything too extravagant; just an unassuming two story house that very much mirrored the design of the houses that surrounded it. The yard was small and wrapped around to the back of the house. I could tell from the boxes in the windows that they truly had just moved in.

We walked up to the front porch and Adagio opened the door with a key that he had stored away. I stepped into the house cautiously; still a bit weirded out by the whole situation. The moment all three of us passed the barrier of the entrance way, I could hear the door shut behind me with a loud slam. My stomach dropped as I heard the heavy deadbolt slide into place.

“What- what’s going on here?” I asked, knowing that I might not like the answer.

“Heh, you hear that Adagio?” Maple responded with a sneer. “It seems our little muffin is dumber than we thought.”

“You’re right, he’s a lot dumber than I anticipated,” Adagio replied; taking a heavy step towards me. “Not that it matters much as long as he is capable of what we need him to do.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked, cowering into the ground with my ears splayed back against my head. At that moment I felt like prey that had just unwittingly fallen into the cave of a predator.

“We know exactly what you are boy!” Adagio walked up to me before I could bolt away, and pulled my chin up to look him directly in the eyes. “A worthless- yet useful sack of flesh.” He pulled me even closer to his eye level to drill the point home. “And trust me, you will be useful to us.” My heart beat quickly as he finished his tirade.

“Why the hell would I play along with your sadistic little game?” I spat out; trying in vain to not seem defenseless.

“That’s an easy one boy,” he responded sinisterly; a demonic smile creeping across his face.

“We have your sister.”