• Published 15th May 2017
  • 2,282 Views, 19 Comments

Unexpected Help - RuinQueenofOblivion



After admitting to Scootaloo that she's her mother, Rainbow Dash is worried about her ability to be her mother, but she gets advice from the most unexpected of places.

  • ...
2
 19
 2,282

Surprises

Rainbow Dash's POV.

"See you after school, mom!" Scootaloo called out as she ran to meet up with Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom at the school.

"Bye Scootaloo, have an awesome day!" I called back, waving to her with a smile on my face, but I frowned slightly as she vanished into the building with her friends.

It had been a couple of months since I had adopted Scootaloo and honestly at this point everything was starting to feel a little overwhelming. I had no idea if I was even really ready to be her mom, I had just shirked my responsibility for so long, would I ever be able to be the mom she needed me to be?

Would I ever be?

"Hey Rainbow Dash," a familiar voice said from behind me and I turned to see Derpy arrive with her daughter Dinky.

"Hi Miss. Rainbow," Dinky said with a smile as she hugged Derpy. "See you later mommy."

"Bye my little Muffin," Derpy said and hugged her daughter back and smiled as Dinky ran off to the schoolhouse. "Taking Scootaloo to school, huh?"

"Yeah," I said with a light smile. "I'm still kind of getting used to being a mom, you know?"

"I understand," Derpy said with a nod. "I remember when Dinky was first born, I was worried too... hey, today's my day off, want to go and talk about it? Maybe I can help a little."

I was a little surprised by the offer, sure I had gotten advice from my friends... a lot of advice from my friends, but none of them really had any parenting experience. At least none that really applied to my situation.

Derpy on the other hoof, well I didn't know much about her to be honest. But maybe she'd be able to help.

"Okay Derpy, that sounds good, I don't need to work with the weather teams until after lunch," I said with a smile. "Lets get going."

Derpy nodded and we walked off towards the park.

00000

I honestly had no idea what to expect as we took a seat on a bench to talk. I looked up at the sky briefly, thinking about everything that was going on lately. There was still the matter of that, thing that had attacked Scootaloo in the castle, something about that felt weird to me, like it wasn't done with us yet.

I told Derpy more about what had happened when I had Scootaloo and she listened carefully.

"Wow, I didn't know about that," she admitted. "Scootaloo has been over a few times, but she never really talked about her home life."

"Yeah, well, I can understand why," I admitted with a light sigh. "Sometimes I think I should have just left Manehattan when I found out I was pregnant, maybe I could have kept her after all."

"Rainbow, you were faced with a tough decision and you did what you felt was right," Derpy said reassuringly. "But right now, you have a chance to make up for your mistake by being there for Scootaloo when she needs you. I know its a hard decision, and you're going to have to make sacrifices, I know from experience."

"You do?" I asked curiously as Derpy turned away slightly.

"Yeah, I've been on my own since Dinky was born," Derpy admitted with a sigh. "It helps if you have ponies who care about you and want to help you out. My parents, we never really saw eye to eye, pun not intended, and they had wanted me to give Dinky up for adoption but..."

"But you couldn't?" I asked and she nodded. "I understand."

"Yeah, I had to leave Las Pegasus after that, and that's when I wound up here in Ponyville with Dinky," she said, brushing her mane back a little. "But I don't regret it, and my parents eventually came around."

I nodded in understanding, Derpy and I had been through a similar situation, but we had done it very differently.

"Being a mom is a big job, but its also the most important job you'll ever have," Derpy said with a nod. "Being a single mom makes it harder, you can't just be there for her like you were in the past, you're responsible for her, for making sure that she grows up happy and healthy. Thankfully you have help for that from your friends..."

"Yeah, I..." I said then stopped when I realized what she meant. "I'm sorry Derpy, is there any way I can help?"

"You can be my friend, that's enough really," Derpy said with a smile. "Besides, Doctor Whooves has been helping us out here and there, things aren't so bad anymore. Though he sometimes seems to stare at Twilight's castle for long periods of time, I'm not sure what's up with that."

"I don't know, I usually just try to not get lost in it, the thing feels like its bigger on the inside or something," I said with a chuckle, then paused a little. "What was Dinky's father like if I may ask?"

"Oh, he was nice, a good pony, we met after he moved to Las Pegasus from Manehattan," she said, which made me pause a moment.
"Though, I think he was afraid of commitment or something because we eventually broke up after I became pregnant, that was really the issue my family had. Oh, what was his name again, he was a Pegasus, Stratosomething..."

"Stratosphere?" I asked as something dawned on me.

"Yeah, that was it, orange Pegasus stallion," Derpy said and then noticed the look on my face. "What?"

"That, was Scootaloo's father's name," I said quietly. "He sent me a letter saying that he had fallen in love with a mare in Las Pegasus and... that was you?"

"I, guess so," Derpy said as we exchanged a glance. "Wait, does this mean..."

"Yeah, it does," I said, rubbing my forehead. "This is going to be a fun conversation when they get out of school."

"Yeah, umm, do you want to meet up before school gets out? So we can tell them together I mean," Derpy suggests.

I nodded and we parted ways, this was something that I was going to have to process a lot before I was ready to tell Scootaloo.

How was I going to tell her?

00000

Scootaloo's P.O.V.

School was coming to a close as Ms. Cheerilee finished up her lesson for the day. I yawned a little, things weren't exactly exciting since she was just going over some history lesson.

My mind wandered to what I was going to do with my friends once school was over. Dinky had approached us at recess and asked if we'd help her figure out her cutie mark (which now that I think about it seemed to vanish sometimes and re-appear as something different, currently her flank was blank), and we were glad to help her out after school was over.

I thought about all the options for her, I'm sure there was something we could figure out for her to do. She liked to draw, maybe something related to that, who knows, we'd figure it out later.

The bell rang and we all gathered up our stuff and started heading out. I was surprised to see mom and Derpy Hooves waiting outside.

"Hey, uh, we'll catch up with you," I said to Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom who nodded and ran off. "Are we in trouble?"

"No, you're fine," mom said with a smile and gave me a hug. "Unless you should be, you didn't get into trouble did you?"

"No, we didn't," Dinky said, she was as confused as I was, our moms looked a little nervous about something. "What's wrong?"

"Well Scootaloo, do you remember how I told you your dad was named Stratosphere?" Mom asked and I nodded, this made Dinky's ears perk up a little.

"Dinky, Stratosphere was your dad too," Derpy said, rubbing the back of her head a little.

"That means..." Dinky said and looked at me.

"That we're..." I said.

"Sisters!"

I had no idea what to make of that, I had a sister after all, and it was Dinky? I had no idea what to think of that, Dinky was my friend, but sister? Okay, that was really something I didn't expect.

The whole idea felt weird to me, like things were just getting crazier ever since I found out that Rainbow Dash was my mother. Did it really matter though? Neither of us had any way of knowing, but now we knew.

I was surprised to feel a pony hugging me and when I looked over it was Dinky who was smiling a little. I couldn't help but smile and hugged her back, I had a sister now, that's what mattered.

And I couldn't be happier

"Thanks for telling us," I said with a smile as we released the hug.

"You two have fun, we'll see you later," Rainbow Dash said and Derpy nodded before we ran off to find Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom.

Author's Note:

Happy mothers day everypony.

Comments ( 19 )

A Good Story for Mother day. Derby really makes and is a Good Mother.

8164169 Thanks, I'm glad you liked it.

8164198 you're Welcome, dinky is my favorite Background filly.

8164225 Yeah I like her... strangely this is actually the first time she's appeared in my fics in any capacity outside of Scootaloo talking about her briefly in Fallout Equestria: Survivor's Guilt with Derpy.

8164249 interesting. As she is my favorite Background filly, i wrote Two Storys about her, i have a Third planned for the future.

8164256 I just hadn't had a chance to use her until now really... honestly the bit towards the end wasn't planned when I went into writing it.

8164277 but you Made it very Good for Not Planning it.

8164288 Thanks, I'm glad I went with it, it'll make things interesting for future fanfics.

8164294 yes it will, for Sure.:twilightsmile:

8164309 Yep, especially with how things were going in Deepest Desires.

Aww... So adorable. I must admit I never expected the idea of Dinky and Scootaloo being sisters popping up.

8165073 Me neither and I'm the one who wrote it.

The same father but a different mother
Technically that would make them half sisters

Dinky hooves is a unicorn filly while both her mom and dad were pegasi
Does that mean she's part pegasus
Interesting very interesting indeed

Login or register to comment