• ...
1
 22
 978

The Wrath of the Innocent Pegasi

Apple Jack shook her head and watched Rarity sprint from Sweet Apple Acres.

"Poor Rarity. She seems to be forgettin' everything. It's not like her to be so unorginized." She said to no pony in particular. Glancing down at the little, groomed beast in the crate, she added, "Well, while you're here, you may as well adjust your bad attitude, 'cause the way things are cookin', you ain't goin' home to Mommy anytime soon."

Picking up the crate with her mouth, she walked towards the house. I should prob'ly tell the others 'bout this - not that Rainbow'd be able to invite her to her house or nothin', seein' as it's in the clouds. Though, she might be able to spread the word quicker than the press would. Apple Jack stepped on the porch of her home. I just hope that somepony'll be able to help 'er soon. Otherwise, she'll lose her head.

Inside, she saw the three fillies look up at her hopefully.

"What do y'all want?" She asked.

"We're mighty sorry, Apple Jack." Apple Bloom said. Next, Scootaloo stepped up. "Yeah. We really messed up. We- OW!" Sweetie Belle nudged her. "I should have waited until the pie was done." She corrected. Sweetie Belle was last to speak up, "Are you mad at us?"

"Ain't mad, but I hope y'all have learned your lesson." The three fillies nodded in response.

"That's good," Apple Jack said, nodding with approval. "Sweetie, I should probably tell you that your sister's goin' through," she coughed, pausing to search for the right words. "A bit o' trouble, and it seems you're gonna be stayin' here for a bit longer 'til-"

"YAAAAY!" Sweetie screeched, leaping into the air with joy. "Did'ja hear that, Apple Bloom?"

"Sure did! This's gonna be lots of fun, ain't it?" Apple Bloom bounced a little on her hooves.

Scootaloo just stared, then bowed her head. It was about time for her to go home. "Well," she said, turning for the door, "I'll see you guys later. I hope you have fun. I'm sorry about the mess, Apple Jack."

The three other ponies watched sadly after Scootaloo. Poor thing, Apple Jack thought, guilt sweeping over her. She just seems so lonely and sad now. Wonder why she ain't glad to be goin' home to her family? After a few minutes, Apple Jack's guilt took over the better of her. Before Apple Jack could stop herself, she trotted briskly after the orange pony. "Wait, Scootaloo! Wait!"

In the mud heading for the exit of Sweet Apple Acres, was Scootaloo, who turned around instinctively towards the sound of her name.

"Scootaloo!" Apple Jack panted. "How would you like to stay here for a few more days? You can go ask your parents after you tell the other two." At the sight of the fillie's brightened eyes, Apple Jack's heart lifted. Now, she won't be lonely no more. Apple Jack smiled, watching Scootaloo sprint towards her house. Before Scootaloo made it halfway to the door, she called, "Guys! Guys! I can stay! We can make another pie!" Now, Apple Jack's heart fell.

Dear, sweet Celestia: I've brought doom into my house.

***

Rainbow Dash sat beside Derpy Hooves's hospital bed. "Hey Rainbow," Derpy said.

"Yeah?"

"Can we play a game?"

At this, Rainbow remained silent for a minute. Don't do it, Dash. You're already scraping up the bits to pay for the repairs of Rarity's house and possessions. She told herself. On top of that, I'm also paying for Derpy's medical expenses. I don't think I can take the blame for another broken building or bone or WHATEVER might be destroyed next! To be honest, I don't know why I'm paying; maybe I feel just a teensy bit guilty... Still, I can't afford another tragedy!

"Please, Dash? I'm so bored!"

"I know the feeling, Derpy. Just hang tight, all right?" The book cart rolled by. Perfect. If reading could entertain an athlete, it surely could keep Derpy occupied. "Hey, wait!" She called after the nurse pushing the cart. "Is it cool if I borrow one of these?"

The mare looked around, looking for the pony who might've spoken, then caught the stare of Dash. She smiled, then said, "Why, yes! Of course!"

"Thanks." Rainbow said, grabbing a random children's book off the shelf.

"Anytime!" The mare answered, then walked off.

Rainbow took the book back to Derpy. "Here," she said, placing the book on Derpy's bed. "Maybe reading something might give you something to do for a bit." Derpy looked at the book, then awkwardly began shifting her hooves. "What?" Asked Rainbow. When Derpy remained silent, Rainbow said in a much harsher tone, "What?!"

Derpy looked straight into Dash's eyes, and answered, "I can't read. Will you read it to me?"

Rainbow Dash could hardly believe what she was hearing. "Read it to you? And why should I-" Derpy's eyes filled with tears. "I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash, I just-"

"No, no; don't do that. Don't cry, Derpy." To cover her guilt from Derpy, she added, "Your tears might be made of acid or something. If it means that much to you, then I'll read you the book, but NO crying AT ALL. Got it?"

"Okay, Rainbow Dash!" Derpy perked up, and returned to her happy self once again.

I'm never training Derpy again. Rainbow thought, opening the book.

"Okay, let's see..." She skimmed the first page, then felt a sickening knot in her stomach. You have got to be kidding me! She sighed, then began reading.

"The Little Colt that Could, written by Pony Piper."

Derpy raised one of her hooves, and began waving it in the air. Confused, Rainbow asked, "What's wrong?"

"I have a question," she said, still frantically waving her hoof.

"Um, okay? Go ahead, I guess."

"Why'd you say the author's name?"

"I guess it's 'cause that's how most ponies start a book, I guess. Now, as I was-" Derpy flicked her hoof in the air again. "Yes, Derpy." Rainbow moaned. "What is it?"

"Why?"

"Because the author needs credit! Now can I go on?"

Derpy nodded, laying both her hooves out in front of her and resuming her previous, relaxed position.

"Illistrated by Lois Lenski-Hoof. Now, to the first page-"

"What's 'illistrated' mean?"
"It means 'drawn.'"

"Drawin' what?"

"It means the pony who drew and painted the pictures."

"Oh." Said Derpy, scratching her head before continuing her questions. "Why doesn't the author finish what they're saying?"

"...What?"

"It says 'The Little Colt that Could,' but it never said what he could do. Now I'll never know the end of the-"

"You'll never know the end of the story if we don't pass the title page!" Rainbow snapped.

"Gosh, you're right, Rainbow Dash! Maybe you should turn the page!" Derpy gasped. Rainbow, keeping her eyes on Derpy in order to know whether to take that as sarcasm or just typical Derpy, turned the cardboard cover. "Once, there was a filly named Tommy. Tommy was a pegasus who was always last place in flight school. All the other fillies and colts could fly-"

"Why is his name Tommy?"

"Because Pony Piper named him something weird and made up." She cleared her throat, then continued. "All the other fillies and colts could fly very fast, but they always left poor Tommy behind. All of the other young ponies made fun of Tommy, except his two friends, Bobby and Timmy." Rainbow turned turned the page.

"Those names sound funny."

"I know."

"How come don't get made fun of for having funny names?"

"Derpy, if I knew, I would tell you."

"Do you know why?"

For pony's sake. This is torture. By now, Rainbow was losing patience. "Didn't you hear me say that I would tell you if I knew?"

"Yeah, but then you never said if you knew or not, so I didn't know."

"Stop asking questions or you'll never know!"

They sat in a tense silence, both staring at each other. Derpy, who seemed oblivious to Rainbow's annoyance, just smiled. Rainbow just glared at her until her impatience took control, then covered her face using both of her hooves. "Okay, Derpy. If you want me to finish this for you, you're going to need to tone it down just a bit with the questions, all right?"

Then came an answer that Rainbow was not prepared for.

"Why?"

Yeah. Should of expected as much.

Comments ( 2 )

Oh Derpy you just don't get it do you, you're really testing Rainbow Dash's patience and you don't want to see her mad. :facehoof:

Login or register to comment