• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 2,747 Views, 37 Comments

The Archives - -Mazer



Learn the secret behind Twilight's Paranoia...

  • ...
1
 37
 2,747

The Report

Twilight awoke to musky scent of old paper and binding glue. Jerking awake, she discovered that she had fallen asleep in the royal library. She looked all around her for any signs of the ponies who ran the library only to realize that it was late in the evening!

“In Celestia’s name!” Twilight yelped. “I must have fallen asleep!” She grabbed the books he had apparently been reading (although she could have sworn to have read it once before), stuffed it into her saddle bag and made her way out of the library as quickly as her hooves could carry her. She was about to leave the castle grounds when a familiar figure stepped out from around the corner. “Twlight Sparkle!” Princess Celestia exclaimed happily. “What are you doing here so late?”

Twilight flushed. “I am so sorry, Princess! I must have fallen asleep in the library again.” She offered the Princess a corny smile. “I guess I just have been too busy studying that I have been neglecting my sleep.”

Celestia rolled her eyes. “Oh Twilight Sparkle. How many times must I remind you to get enough sleep? You’ll be no use to us if you cannot keep your eyes open.” She chuckled and nudged Twlight’s flank. “Go on home. Get your rest.”

Twilight smiled. “Yes Ma’am!” she ran on home. Celestia watched as Twilight left the castle grounds. It wasn’t until the younger pony vanished from sight that Celestia allowed herself to relax. The memory spell seemed to have worked just fine; Twilight would have no memory of the books. Celestia wasn’t proud of herself for casting such a spell on her prized pupil but she knew that she had no other choice…

No other choice…

“Hm,” Twilight Sparkle dumped her saddle bag upon her table. The sound of books striking the wooden surface was enough to wake her baby dragon companion, Spike.

“Huh?” he whined. “What’s going on?”

“I’m so sorry, Spike!” Twilight exclaimed. “I fell asleep in the library again.”

“Hm. What else is new?” he grumbled while rolling over in his basket. He yanked his blanket over his body. “What were you doing there so late anyways?”

“I must have been working on a report for the Princess,” Twilight tapped her hoof against her jaw in thought. She nosed through the pile of books from her bag until she came across the one she had fallen asleep against. It was titled The Mare in the Moon. “Huh,” she bit her lower lip. “I thought I read this one before. I wonder why the Princess would want me to read this again.” Her eyes grew wide. “Oh my Celestia! What if she wanted me to summarize the story? What if she wanted me to write a report about it?” her eyes grew even wider. “What if it is due tomorrow?” She grabbed a hold of Spike’s basket. “Spike, wake up! We need to write a report about this book before the sun rises!”

“Huh? Why?”

“Because if I don’t, I’ll be tardy!” She whined. “I have never been tardy before in my entire life, and do you know what happens to ponies who don’t fulfill their duties to Celestia on time?”

He covered his head with his pillow.

“She banishes them to the deepest darkest dungeons!” She screamed.

Spike sat up in his basket to glare at Twilight. “What?”

“She is going to keep me locked up until I finish the report! She will have her guards watch me all day and all night until I finish the report, in triplicate! I cannot work while other ponies watch me! Whatever will I do?”

Spike gave her a dubious look. “And what makes you think the Princess will ever do something as crazy as that?”

Twilight blinked then tapped her hoof against her jaw. “I actually have no idea, Spike, but trust me,” she tapped her hoof against his nose. “If I am tardy, the Princess will do punish me!” she used her magic to fetch a quill from her desk. “So let’s get this report started!” she exclaimed while opening her book.

Comments ( 11 )

:applecry: poor twilight, she doesn't even know why she is terrified

It almost seems unfulfilled how Princess Celestia got away with her atrocities unpunished. :applejackunsure:

Thats it? ...well that does explain her paranoia, but it still seems.... lacking, you should make a chapter where Celestia answers for what she did. Maybe Twilight took notes (like she always does) and reading her notes breaks the spell?

1058331

1057326

she didn't go unpunished. Her anger caused her to loose her Sister which is explained. It is her wrath that helped Luna become Nightmare Moon. She ruined her own family and her own chances at happiness which is explained. Don't forget there is also a 1000 year gap from the end of the journal to present time so Celestia's suffering was long-lived.

Furthermore there cannot be any further explanations outside what was written as the journal is destroyed and with it the knowledge of what happened after. You only learn what Twilight learns. Celestia is the only one who knows what happened after the events of the journal (which basically is the start of NightMare Moon's reign).

And breaking the spell would mean Twilight had prior knowledge of Luna, Discord, and NightmareMoon which would be against the canon of the series.

however I am not an unreasonable person. I added a few extra lines to Celestia talking to Twilight that sheds a bit more light on everything she had lost. Again though, because there is no way for Twilight to learn what happened to Celestia (if she was punished or not), there is no way for the audience to learn that as well. Remember, the entirety of the story is portrayed through the journal. Twilight can only learn what is in the journel itself.

1058418 I did'nt say it had to be right after, but I can see what you're saying and I still believe Celestia should be confronted about it. If not for what happened in the past then for altering memories of someone who said outright that they forgive her for what happened.

Also, I would'nt mind a few breaks in canon, at least Twilight would'nt be going up against a GODDESS and be uninformed by her mother figure.

1058481

Ah, I see what you mean now.

Well I have my own storyline set up for all of my stories. Except for Luna's Romp and Hello Trixie, all my stories remain canon to one another. I already planned on working on Luna, Celestia, Discord which will showcase what happened in the gaps of the journal including bits afterwards. I never intended on those parts to be in this story but you will see them in later stories ^_^

I do hope you enjoyed the Archives though. :twilightlesmile:

Interesting. So Twilight really doesn't know why she thinks Celestia is capable of horrible punishments. That's... really unfortunate, actually. Before the amnesia spell it seemed like she believed that Celestia had changed since the time when the journal was written. If Celestia had just sworn her to secrecy, I think she'd have been less afraid of her, in the end.

And maybe that's the point- maybe the fact that Celestia is willing to go to extremes to cover up her past shows that she hasn't changed as much as she'd like to think she has, and Twilight's fears are less unfounded than they seem.

I'm going to give this story a thumbs-up for its interesting ideas on Equestrian history and characterization of Celestia and Twilight Sparkle, but I want you to check out this page to get a better understanding of how "thou", "thee", "thy" and "thine" were used when they were part of normal English, so you can write archaic dialogue that doesn't make me flinch when I look at it.

1073553

Thanks for the link and I am glad you liked the story:rainbowkiss:

A long time ago, but still the same monster.

ΔΓ

hmmmmmm, if Celestia truly changed, y did she have to erase the memory.....I guess not to cause any unrest should it get out but it still undermines her claim to have changed

This is one of those under-appreciated stories... Strange how something this good and thought provoking has so few views and likes.
Yes, it probably is a bit short on sensible explanations sometimes and Luna's and Celestia's characters could have used a little more depth; but overall it is extremely well written and a very enjoyable read.
The idea with the shards of anarchy is brilliant and something I've never seen the likes of.

It does add a lot of depth to Celestia. Good work.

Login or register to comment