• Published 4th Oct 2016
  • 16,282 Views, 1,290 Comments

Making Family - Cirrus Sky



You can find a home, but sometimes you have to make a family. Sunset is working on that.

  • ...
15
 1,290
 16,282

Someone Human

Sat in the lounge, Sunset was still reeling from the discovery she had made. Sunshimmer had been a human, a woman from the world she now called home. A world she had returned to.

“I asked Chrysalis if she could find any other Sunset Shimmer.” Celestia had told Sunset before that they had looked into things, to cover their bases. “All she could find was that Sunshimmer had gone missing from Canterlot City a few months before your birth date.” She sighed, “We both thought that meant something quite grim, it never occurred to either of us that the portal could have been active.”

“So you thought that there was no human me.” Sunset had not moved from the sofa, nor had she let go of Lady. Discord had put an arm around her and Celestia was sat close on her other side. “But I am the human.”

“Yes. That is what Sunshimmer wrote.” Celestia wasn't sure how to feel about this, so Sunset had to be even more affected. Was her biological family still around? What would she need to do to account for Sunset's reappearance?

Lifting up the doll, Sunset gave a smile. “That explains Lady. Mom had her specially made for me. I thought she looked a little different to most toys I saw other foals with, but she was special.”

Celestia nodded, “She must have wanted to keep the link to home and share it with you.” The little doll was a similar shade to Sunset's skin with red yarn hair. “Something that looked like she used to.”

“Yeah.” Sunset smoothed the yarn hair with her fingers. “I guess she got put away when the house was packed up, a weird doll would get too many questions.” Sunset leaned against Celestia. “So I am human. I really did find where I belong.”

“You have.” Celestia hugged her close.

“Does it change anything?” Sunset asked, softly as if she was scared of the answer.

“Only the changes that you want.” Discord said at last. “When and if you want things to change.” He wrapped his other arm around Sunset. “And that is as a Dad and a Judge. You have no obligation to do anything you don't want to.”

“Thanks Dad.” Sunset whispered. Her parents were keeping her grounded, this was a shock but they were with her always. No matter what.

“I think I am ready to read more of the book.” Sunset opened it up again, there was a few more pages of Sunshimmer's introduction. Information that shared with Sunset what her mother was like. “Do you want to read too?”

-*-

When Sunset found herself drifting to sleep, even as she tried to read more of the book, she decided it had to be time to go to bed.

Sunshimmer's book had provided a lot of information about her, she had written plenty into the first few pages that detailed her former life on Earth. Sunset had found it emotional but fulfilling, to know more about the mother she lost. It was also good to share with the family she had found.

With a great deal of care, Sunset chose a spot on her bookcase for her mother's journal. She would read more when she had a chance.

Settling down to sleep, Sunset found she was more at peace with herself than she had been in a long time.

-*-

“Do I tell my friends?” Sunset asked after finishing breakfast. The book was still in her room, she hadn't read about Sunshimmer's life in Equestria just yet, but what she had learned so far was big news.

Celestia paused to think. “Would you be able to handle that?” She knew the girls were supportive, but Sunset had just had life changing news and some of them would not be able to process it, or figure how Sunset felt about the matter.

“Maybe?” Sunset wanted her friends to know this important fact. “I think it is something they should know, now I know it.”

“I do not wish to discourage you sweetheart.” Celestia looked over at her daughter, knowing that what she was going to tell Sunset could create a few issues. “But what if they want you to go looking for other family? Do you want to?”

“Other family?” Sunset replied, confused, until names Sushimmer had written in the book came to mind. The names of Sunshimmer's parents, her partner, her friends- “But you're my family!”

“Of course I am your family, as is Discord, Luna, Chrysalis and mother.” Celestia said in a soothing tone, moving from her seat to hold Sunset.”We will always be your family.”

“I never thought- Mom had parents, I had a father.” Sunset felt a freak out coming on. “I am from this world. They could still be here. They could take me away!” Arms wrapped around her. “Mom.”

“Right now you need to just breath sweetheart.” Celestia said, radiating calm in the hopes Sunset would not hit a full blown panic attack. “No one is going to take you away. Chrysalis created a Sunset Shimmer when I asked her to make you the documents you needed. No one, for good or bad, knows that you are the missing Sunshimmer's daughter.” She held Sunset a moment. “No one will take you away.”

“Okay.” Sunset had slowed her breaths and her mother's words were helping her. “I don't think I am ready to tell the girls. But can I tell Aunty Luna and Chrys?” She tapped her fingers on the table, a distracted tune. “I think they need to know, and Chrys can find out some more for me?”

“Everything is up to you.” Celestia said evenly. “Remember, they lost Sunshimmer, they didn't lose you.” It was possibly selfish to say that to Sunset, but Celestia knew that the family the woman had left behind when she fell to Equestria were not going to expect a child returning to them.

“That's true.” Sunset wasn't sure what just what she would have to consider around this revelation. It looked like she would have plenty more to think about.

Discord appeared in the doorway, a yawn stretching his face. “G'morning.” He was wearing a colourful sports jersey and sweats and still looked a little fuzzy from sleep. Sunset caught Celestia's utterly fond look at the man and smiled. Here was the only Dad she had ever known.

Should she want to find that someone else that Sunshimmer wrote of?

Author's Note:

So another small chapter. The title was inspired by the Muse track Something Human. I love the acoustic version:

I think the story has a few more chapters in it. I have a few more ideas for it anyway once I wrap up this little thread.

So, anyone want to pass comment on my next ideas: Passion Project crossover story with Sunset and others or one of my other takes on Sunset finding her place in the human world?