• Published 4th Oct 2016
  • 16,262 Views, 1,290 Comments

Making Family - Cirrus Sky



You can find a home, but sometimes you have to make a family. Sunset is working on that.

  • ...
15
 1,290
 16,262

Calmer

Luna liked the soft light of her lanterns in her office. It was not only less glaring than the sunlight, but it also left a certain atmosphere of foreboding that helped her position as Head of Discipline. In contrast, it was a safe space without too many stimuli for a student who needed a quite, cool and dark space to ground themselves.

It was without question that Sunset could come and go as she needed.

Working at her desk, the click of the door handle caught Luna's attention. A wide eyed Sunset walked in stiffly her hands clenched into her jacket.

“Sunset?” Luna observed the girl push the door shut and drop her bag to the floor.

“TwilightaskedmeonadateandIsaidyesbutnowIamfreakingoutabouteverythingthatcouldgowrong.” Sunset babbled all in one breath, gasping one in too quickly, followed by another. Luna had caught the gist. She left her seat and gently put her arms around her niece.

“Breath in,” Luna said, she ran her thumb up and down Sunset's arm. “One, two, three, four, five.” Sunset did as she was told. “Breath out. One, two, three, four, five.” She felt Sunset breathing carefully. “We'll sit on the couch.” Luna guided the girl across and sat her down, keeping an arm around her shoulders.

“Thanks.” Sunset said, still counting her breaths in and and out.

“From what I could gather, you and Twilight have a date?” Luna was internally thrilled for the girl, but it was clear that a truck-load of possibilities had dropped on her head.

Sunset nodded.

“But you are worried that if it doesn't work out you will spoil an important friendship?” Luna asked, gentle and careful. The nod from Sunset was tearful. “Sweetheart, that is unfortunately a risk anyone takes, but I don't think Twilight would ever stop being your friend.”

“What if I break her heart?” Sunset spoke with such a tiny voice, tears had gathered in her eyes.

“Don't say that.” Luna embraced her niece and held her close. “You could never do that on purpose Sunset. I would say that you couldn't even by accident.”

“I ruin everything good though.” Sunset's voice cracked and her tears fell.

“Hush, you have not ruined this family you were brought into. You improved it.” Luna wondered if now was the time for an emergency pill, kept in the office if Sunset truly needed one, or to call her sister in. “You gave Celestia the chance to be a mother, you have made me an aunt. You proved to us both that we could have the lives we had thought beyond us.” Settling the red-gold head beneath her chin to hopefully help Sunset ground herself.

“Can't shut up my brain.” Sunset grumbled, sniffing a little as she calmed down in Luna's embrace.

“I know what you mean sweetheart. Do you need a pill?” The older of the pair leaned back on the couch, bringing her niece with her. Cuddling with her family always helped Luna and she had found that Sunset also benefited from that type of contact. She felt the girl shake her head.

“No, this is helping.” Sunset kept close, simply breathing. Comfort in the arms of someone who loved her, loved her unconditionally. Someone who understood a spiral like this, who had and still did live with the issues that created these emotions.

Luna didn't speak, she just carried on holding her niece, after a while she could hear the teen's breathing even out. “Feeling a little better?”

“Yeah.” Sunset sounded a little more confident. “It was a bit much. For a moment there.” She remained cuddled close to Luna, indulging in the love and care.

“It can be, I sometimes spiral over Chrys, but she is patient and understanding.” Luna spoke softly, not wanting to create too much noise while Sunset fully calmed down.

“Even now?” Sunset looked up to her aunt, she hadn't thought that Luna would still have moments of doubt in her relationship.

“Even now, I can think myself into an unhappy corner.” Luna had a wry smile, “But I have hands to pull me out and you do too.” She nudged her shoulder against Sunset's. “Nicer subjects now missy. Who is planning the first date?”

“Twilight asked me out, so she said that she'll plan our first official date.” Sunset smiled at the thought and the recent event of the scholarly girl asking her on said date. Now that her racing thoughts had been calmed down, she was able to look forward to the date and be very happy about this change in her relationship with the girl.

-*-

Still buzzing from actually asking Sunset out, Twilight walked to her locker, she and Sunset had parted ways a little after she had asked. With a task still to complete, Twilight hadn't minded and was even more motivated to create the playlist. Visions of dancing with Sunset at the wedding making it nowhere near a chore.

With the end of the school day soon, Twilight practically skipped from the building. “Spike? Spike. Come on boy.” She called her faithful friend, stood at the statue. She had important date ideas to brainstorm and needed to get home.

“Twilight,” Spike ran over with a yip. “Did Sunset tell you I nearly got that darn squirrel?” The purple pup wagged his tail. “I was real close this time!”

“Sorry Spike, I distracted her a little. She didn't say.” Twilight was still smiling, they walked from the school and down the street. Spike trotted along beside her.

“It was a crafty one so it managed to get away.” Spike continued his story, “I took a tumble, but it was no big deal.”

“I asked Sunset on a date.” Twilight said, far enough from the school that no one could overhear her.

“Wait what?” Spike stopped in his tracks. “Really?” Twilight was beaming ear to ear.

“I saw a chance and just grabbed it!” Twilight laughed. “She said yes!”

“Oh wow! Way to go Twi'!” Spike jumped up and barked happily. “We gotta get home to tell mom!”

With plans already coming together in her head, Twilight had a skip in her step as she walked home.

Author's Note:

I'm not giving up, I am just slower. My creative drive is aimed at LEGO right now, I am having my first trip in TWO YEARS, going to Brickworld Chicago, so I am building a lot to take along and show. (LEGO was my passion before I could even read, let alone write) It is taking more focus.
However, travelling there will give me a lot of time to write, so I will be probably pages in by the time I am home again. I hope to have a bit more. My aims are to get to a nice closing point in the story here. Ending it happily for everyone in the story.

Hopefully this is a decent update at least.

Comments ( 32 )

Woooo! Haven't seen an update from this one in a while! I'm gonna have to go back and get another read in!

I like it! Have fun in Brickworld!

Puppy Spike! Always love to see Him in stories.

It's always a treat to read another chapter to this great story! :twilightsmile:

11248903
I am just as much looking forward to seeing my friends and all the cool LEGO builds, as I am for Deep Dish Pizza and hopefully a trip to Portillo's.

11248910
He feels underused, but I like him as a different character to Dragon Spike.

11248917
Thank you :yay: I am motivated to carry on writing knowing that people like my story.

It is a nice and good thing that this is still going.
It always make my days.

11248921
Yum, deep dish is the best kind of pizza! Hope you get some!

Heh. Just to mess with Sunset a little...

At some point, Princess Twilight comes across. Now, the ponies in Ponyville are effectively early twenties, so she's older, worldlier, and has more experience. So her choice of outfit reflects her greater experience, poise, and confidence.

And poor Sunset is suddenly stuck between two Twilights. One is her current "apparent" age, and the other is her actual emotional and chronological age.

Choices, choices... :twilightsmile:

Lanterns? As in actual kerosene burning lanterns, like the Dietz type?

Is that, and Luna's office being referred to as a safe space, a subtle reference to the original Resident Evil game and its save rooms?

I love seeing you update! Hopefully there still at least a few chapters left and we can see Discord, Celestia, and sunset as one big happy family before this story is over :twilightsmile:

Always good to see this story again! I hope we will get closure on part of the story about Sunset and her biological father. I think he has a right to know at least some of her story. I hope you enjoy your trip and stay safe!

“TwilightaskedmeonadateandIsaidyesbutnowIamfreakingoutabouteverythingthatcouldgowrong.” Sunset babbled all in one breath, gasping one in too quickly, followed by another. Luna had caught the gist. She left her seat and gently put her arms around her niece.

Wow, and I thought only Pinkie could do that. :applejackunsure:

“Hush, you have not ruined this family you were brought into. You improved it.” Luna wondered if now was the time for an emergency pill, kept in the office if Sunset truly needed one, or to call her sister in. “You gave Celestia the chance to be a mother, you have made me an aunt. You proved to us both that we could have the lives we had thought beyond us.” Settling the red-gold head beneath her chin to hopefully help Sunset ground herself.

She's right, you've made their lives so much happier for them Sunset. :twilightsmile:

“I know what you mean sweetheart. Do you need a pill?” The older of the pair leaned back on the couch, bringing her niece with her. Cuddling with her family always helped Luna and she had found that Sunset also benefited from that type of contact. She felt the girl shake her head.

How's the pill supposed to help? :unsuresweetie:

Still buzzing from actually asking Sunset out, Twilight walked to her locker, she and Sunset had parted ways a little after she had asked. With a task still to complete, Twilight hadn't minded and was even more motivated to create the playlist. Visions of dancing with Sunset at the wedding making it nowhere near a chore.

Your overthinking it a bit too far if you ask me Twilight. :ajsmug:

11249035
No, sorry, my local dialect coming in: Lantern is a style of light fitting, So not a bulb or neon tube in the ceiling, but "up lighters" that do look a lot like the old gas lamps. Safe Space is just a mental health term and oftentimes is a room or section away from too many stimuli.

11249253
There are a few medications that are used for anti-anxiety purposes and one of them is more of a "rescue" than a regular treatment, it is one that you use in a crisis situation. (Take for example an Epi-Pen, someone can be on regular anti-allergy pills but if they are in a serious situation then they use the epi-pen to fight off the reaction). A spiral of panic/anxiety can become a feedback loop in your mind/body and the right medication can stop it before things get much worse.

Been a little while, but glad to see more from this series, I loved the original.

AN UPDATE YESSSSSS! and it was worth the wait🥰 You can focus and doing your passion just knowing that you are planning on making an ending for this series is enough for me to wait years for that☺️🥳

Thanks for the update! Been busy rereading the first story and back up to here.

I’m not sure if I’ve ever commented on this series, but I just wanna say I love it. Seeing the happy family Sunset has found is so incredible. She’s had such a crazy life but she’s still managed to find some happiness. I’m not as involved in the fandom as I once was, but this story is one that keeps me coming back here. Awesome stuff.

Well, good luck builder, and get your brick on.

OMG my favorite fic updated:raritystarry:

Nice update. Looking forward to reading more. Awesome story! :twilightsmile:

Oh man it's so amazing to see this still going on! This is one of my favourite Shimmerfics ever!

What an amazing and great story 🥰



Hope that you will pick it up again

Yes a very great update even after my third reread of these fics but here I am still waiting for that ending nor the date. Hope to hear any news about this fic🙏🥰 also hoping this would be finished🙏🥺

will this evert update

11588805
I'm wondering the same thing as you

Comment posted by PonyofEntropy deleted Dec 2nd, 2023

Checking in with a rereading. :twilightsmile:

Update please? :fluttershysad:

Another reread. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment