• Published 17th Apr 2016
  • 490 Views, 1 Comments

Being here, once again. - Dr Equinox



Once again, I'm back here. Chopping trees, lifting logs, all that. The same thing I've been doing for a few months now. If i had to guess, I'd say it's been about seven months since we got here.

  • ...
 1
 490

The one hinderence

Hey guys. This is a small little thing that will probably only be a chapter or two. No huge story, just something I thought of one day. Hope you like it. I only own my characters and ideals, nothing else. Lets go.


I swung my axe, felling the large tree. It looked like something that would grow in the Everfree, not out here in the fields. Nevertheless, I sheathed my axe, grabbed the tree at its trunk, and lifted it upon my shoulder. I stood there for a moment, still mesmerized by the strength I've gained whilst being here. What would normally take months of continuous effort over months, took me a week or so. I was reminded of the others that followed my here, my good friends Jane and Ulysses. That brought up a whole number of memories. I started walking to the town, where I would eventually find the forest.

While I was walking, I thought about our arrival. We were all so surprised and had no idea what was going on. The people here, appropriately called 'Ponies', shared mutual feelings. When we were calm enough to talk, we found out our strange restriction here. We could understand them, but they couldn't understand us. When the super star, I'll let you guess whom I am referencing, tried to use a communication spell, it turned out to be utterly useless. We have a type of extreme magical resistance, which proved to be a rather awkward obstacle in making peace with our new neighbors. After many attempts, they finally understood that we just couldn't speak their language, nothing more.

After that, things hit off pretty well for us. Jane, surprisingly, wanted to work with Ms. Magic herself. This was strange since she was the stereotypical meat-headed sports girl. Then came Ulysses, who was interested in, yet another surprise, the fashion here. This guy was another stereotype, specifically the 'Greaser' type. The fact that he would concern himself with clothing wasn't all that surprising once we thought about it though, since he used to, and still does, critique our choices of apparel. Lastly was me, who surprised everyone by choosing to go with straight forward manual labor. I was the last stereotype, the Nerd. I always had to depend on Jane or Ulysses to defend me and I was tired of it. If we had to start our lives in a new world, then I would never be a pushover again.

Ever since the Apple family accepted me as another working member of the farm, I've been doing any job I can get my hands on. Anything to make me fit, to make me strong. It's been a few months now, more than a few if I think about it. Six- maybe Seven months since we got here. I've managed to build up my body and the results were much better than I had hoped. This worlds ambient 'Magic' had increased the development rate of my body ten fold. I was now a walking factory that produced only the finest of results, that which is anything involved with strength.

Speaking of friends, I was walking through town when I passed a certain giant tree-library, and upon hearing an explosion, sighed, dropping my fallen tree on the ground near the entrance and opened the door. Inside were two well known scientist, a term I use loosely. They, and the surrounding area, were bathed in ash, no doubt from another failed experiment. Raising my brow towards my fellow human, she quickly noticed me and waved me away.

"Were fine, its fine! It's all good!" She said, which came out as gibberish to any other specie, including the one next to her.

"Oh, hello Uhr! Don't worry about us, were fine!" I gave them both stern looks before closing the door and picking up my tree, continuing my journey.

Considering the current circumstances of the guard, something I still didn't understand, it was decided that the town didn't require any protection. I had decided against that and thanks to a multitude of undesirable situations, became the self acquainted security of the place. It wasn't something I resented, it was just something that came secondary to my official job. It came with perks as well, like being recognized as the local authority even though they cant understand me. I often found this to create some amusing times when any actual guards arrived for some reason. They would be treated as a secondary measure, something many of them resented about me.

Speaking of past events, the reason for my gaining of the 'Police' role was not accidental. Any time there was a threat that I could deal with, I would. This included a surprising amount o variety; Things spanning from Robbery, to wild animals, and even rouge magicians bent on revenge. The last one were actually the easiest. They usually depended solely on magical prowess, so its inefficiency against me proved to be a valuable asset. Ah, yes another friend.

I passed by the boutique, gazing through the window. Inside was Ulysses, sitting down with multiple sketchbooks around him containing various designs for many species, and talking with the original designer of the town. The two hit it off very well and were inseparable at times. I smiled, something I don't do as often as I should. They were cute together, though if they were told that, they would be quick to shoot any ideas down. No matter how much they may deny it, they were meant for each other.

After passing the house, I made my way down the trail until I found myself at the current animal caretakers house. She was going about her business outside when she noticed me and smiled, myself returning it before heading into the forest. Now came the part that got me into the most trouble. For some reason, the creatures of the forest did not take an immediate liking to me. Couldn't imagine why. Eventually we came to respect each other and treated each other with mutual feelings; I don't stay there for longer than I have to and they stay out of my way. Some creatures new to the Everfree had not yet come to cross with this unanimously passed code and decided they could take me. They were dealt with in a swift manner.

I would soon have to demonstrate this as I passed by a familiar alcove, a den if you will. Standing and sitting around the den were many wooden wolves, whom gaze I caught as I approached. Many stared an backed away as they saw me, but that's all they did. They knew of our unspoken agreement and respected the space between us. That is, all except one bold soul, who seemed to saunter over and glare with those glowing greens. I looked back at him, hearing the warning bark of an experienced member of the pack and seeing the young pup ignore it, and placed the tree next to me on the floor. I walked closer to the young male, earning a growl in response. Once I was within distance I crouched and mimicked the stance he gained, attempting to frighten me with his body. I made my face into a snarl and growled back at him, much louder than he. He moved a paw backwards, but ultimately stayed his ground. While admirable, I was no foe to be easily intimidated. I raised my self from my crouch and stood hunched over the pup, growling even louder, using my size against him. He looked at me with frightened eyes and bowed his head, submitting. I silenced my growling and went down to a knee, placing my hand upon the wolfs head. The others watched on in anticipation, only for me to pat the pups head and stand up. When he stopped whimpering, he looked up at my towering stature with a questioning gaze.

"Go." I ordered, pointing towards the den. He left quickly, getting nipped in the ear by the den mother for his reckless action.

I grabbed my tree once again and walked a few paces forward before setting the tree down on its side on the forest floor. I rubbed the tree gently, feeling its smooth yet cracked features before I stood to leave. Once I started towards the town, I heard the sounds of the forest working its magic behind me. If I had turned around I would have seen a wall of hanging moss where the previous opening was. Finally free of the forest, I looked out towards my newest destination: the house of my favorite mailmare. Ever since she met me she's been offering me food in exchange for company. She was a very nice mare and her kid was adorable. Wandering through town, I found her house. It wasn't the best here, certainly not the worst, but it was all she could afford on her pay roll. It didn't help that she would sometimes get ridiculed because of her eyes. Luckily I was usually around to scare those types off, though I couldn't always be there. I did my best though, and she appreciated it.

When I neared her house, I attempted to knock, only for the door to slam open. It would have hit my face if I hadn't caught it mid swing. Stepping out from the house was the mare herself, seemingly in a panic. She was about to take flight before I tapped her shoulder, causing her to turn around quickly. She relaxed upon seeing me.

"Oh, Uhr! Uh, I'm sorry, I can't chat today, got a lot of mail to deliver! Oh, uh, here's a muffin!" She says frantically as the throws a muffin a managed to catch at me.

"Sorry, gotta go! Hope you understand! Bye!" She quickly takes flight as I watch her in amusement. She always was a quirky one. I closed her door, which was left open, and left the house, aiming for the Apple fields again. It was about mid day and while today was a slow day, it didn't mean I could just leave at any time. As I walked through town again, I thought about the name I adopted while I was here. It came about as I tried to explain my name to the people here. It came out as Uhr, which was an alternative I was okay with. I've gotten used to hearing it so much that I insisted being called that even though my fellow humans knew my real name. They go along with it and I now mainly respond to Uhr, though my old name can still gain my attention.

Speaking of attention, someone was desperate for mine as they ran towards me. It was a small figure to which I've become convinced could never cause any harm, even though he is a dragon. He was running towards me on his short legs, panting, while holding a note with a dark blue symbol stamped on it. Ah yes, the royal seal for the Princess of the night. Once he finally reached me, he handed me the letter while he hunched over regaining his breath. I quickly opened the note, noticing a small paragraph of letters I could not read. I handed it back to the lizard once my examination was done. He, getting the hint, took a few deep breathes before reading it to me.

"Dearest Uhr, I have the greatest of news! I believe I have successfully found something pertaining to your speech that matches the examples you have written for me! I must request your presence as soon as possible. I understand that you may be delayed in this endeavor and am ever patient for your arrival. Sighed, Princess Luna." She refuses to use her title with me.

After nodding to the youngling and receiving the letter, I made my way to the farm. If there was something I might be able to understand, it was big news to any human. She had a fascination with all three of us, but it was mainly focused on me as I was the one with the most time and thus was able to respond and attend meetings whenever possible. That, and I enjoyed her company the most. I'm certain she enjoyed me equally so.

After I arrived and 'explained' my situation to the Apples, they let me go. After that I quickly made my way towards the train station, which would be departing soon, without me if I didn't make it in time. Fortunately I did, subconsciously walking towards the farthest empty seat possible. It's a habit I picked up early from my first ride on the train. I had gotten many looks from many strangers and I settled for where they couldn't see me. While most have become used to seeing me, I still get the stares from the ignorant. The ride was relatively short and we arrived at the city atop the mountain in record time.

As usual, when I got off the train I received non stop stares, sometimes even glares, from the folks who lived on the mountain top. When we first arrived, the initial reaction of them was to be frightened. During our stay here, it hasn't changed much. There is some serious tension between us though, my visit a perfect example. I manage to hear stray comments about me every time, most not knowing I can understand them. Some actually got a laugh out of me. Like this one time I visited, I heard so much about my body, since that day I wasn't wearing much and was pretty sweaty. It honestly surprised me that so many of these stuck up assholes had such dirty minds. Even the guards joined in! Man, that day I actually blushed from all the hungry stares I was getting. I'm no stranger to sexual talk, but that many people talking about you does the trick. Anyways, back to reality.

I passed by the guards, glad at least one wasn't staring, and entered the castle, eventually finding myself in front of a Navy Blue door with a crescent moon plastered on it. Beside it stood two guards of her own division. The knight guards, arguably the more noticeable of the two. I knocked on the door three times as usual, the door opened swiftly, as usual, and we meet each other with smiles. As usual. She welcomed me in and shut the door behind me. She gestured for me to follow with an excited grin upon her face, making me chuckle to myself. She acted so similarly to a child sometimes that I wondered her actual age. I would never ask though, even if she couldn't understand me.

She led me to her study which now looked like a disaster. Books were strewn abut, papers with incomprehensible writings littered the floor, and standing in the midst of it all, laid on her desk, was a stone tablet. I walked forward, the rock seemingly calling to me. I hadn't noticed I was standing above it, staring, until a cough broke my daze. Shaking my head, I gently grasped the tablet, its normal weight nothing compared to my standards. Engraved upon the were markings, many seeming to be broken or cracked, no doubt thanks to its time in the ground. Strangely enough though was that I could make out some words. As I looked through the paragraph I confirmed it. This was English. Albeit, in old dialect and with many broken sentences and unfinished lines, but still English. I was... astonished! English, here! I- I had to tell someone! Their might actually be humans here, even if the died long ago. I still had evidence. I laid the stone down and rubbed my eyes. This was a game changer for certain. Once I opened my eyes again, I noticed Luna staring back at m with a hopeful expression.

"You can read it then, correct?" She asked, hey eyes wide. I grinned at her and nodded.

"Oh most joyous of nights! This is wonderful news! We shall notify our sister at once!" Then she left, as fast as she could.

I sat down in the chair, a comfortable fit considering the size needed for an 'Alicorn', I believe they were called. It was yet another cruel joke of nature to play upon me, cursing me with monumental height. Remember the courier lizard from earlier? He hadn't even reached my knees. I suppose it only added on to the list of strange things about me. I sighed to myself, picking up the tablet again. From what I could make out, it was the beginning of an old tale. Something about an 'Unbreakable armor, forged out of the unchangeable Falcorium, by the god of smithing himself', something like that. If I was correct, I think they were talking about Hephaestus, the Greek god. But that only confused me. What would anything to do with Greek culture be doing here? I mean, with two different worlds I could only assume their would be major differences. The rest of the tale was cut off as that was where the tablet ended. I wondered to myself, what was this mysterious 'Falcorium' was and why it was called 'unchangeable'? Perhaps it was an extremely sturdy mineral or something? Most likely metal, though that came with the question of its whereabouts.

Now thinking about the strangeness of this world, I wondered about my body and the effect magic had on it. If I was extremely resilient towards it, how had my body been affected by it so greatly? Furthermore, why had the others shown so little signs of change? Was it because I focused on physical fitness or was there a difference between each person? So many things I wished to ask, only to realize in a forlorn state that I would never be able to ask them. I closed my eyes f a moment. If things were so messed up and wonky now, what would life be for us in a few months? A year? A decade? Assuming we live that long. I sighed and leaned back into the chair, gazing up at the ceiling, which somehow looked exactly like the night sky. What would the future hold?


As it turns out, only trouble. During our stay here, we were subject to many undesirable situations, ranging from issues happening around town to straight up Invasion. That last one didn't end well. I was called upon for it, to fight for the country. I accepted, learning that the choice to use me was not an immediate one. I needed to be tested. I already had immense strength, basic immunity to magic, and a decent head on my shoulders. What they needed to know was my loyalty. They didn't say that was the reason, stating instead some thing about me being the best option or whatever, but I knew the truth. No matter how friendly, how nice they acted towards us, we were aliens. Aliens who could pose a serious threat to them if went unchecked.

The Species that invaded were unlike any I'd seen or 'read' about in their books. They were strange little shape shifters, using green flames to change their body's appearance. Their leader managed to sneak in, kidnap, and successfully masquerade as one of the newer princess's. Pretty impressive feat, but not enough it seems. Even though it was completely expected, as the wedding duo-to-be were warned, it managed to destroy them from the inside out. I was called when the warning was issued out and since I graciously accepted, they fit me with their standard armor. It took some time to fit and much of the suit brought discomfort, but it was armor nonetheless. When it actually happened, I was in the middle of the city, just walking around, trying to get used to the feeling. They attacked swiftly and overwhelmed any who stood in their way be it Guard or civilian. Fortunately, I was something else entirely. They hit much softer compared to the normal earth pons' I was used to, so I needn't use even half my strength. During my several fights I noticed something. Theses beings were awfully skinny, almost like malnutrition. Once I cornered one and when I stared it down, it didn't look back as a warrior. What I saw was a barely trained youngling fighting for its life. I had my fair share of blood during this, but when I noticed these signs, that stopped completely. I only knocked them out forwards.

After some time of fighting my way to the wedding, my attention was drawn to the castle when a giant bubble of pink exploded from the inside, taking the whole invasion force with it and blasting them away into the distance. I just stood, shocked. What had happened, I would later find out, was that the couple used the power of love or some BS and made the magic bubble to blow all the monsters away. It sounded like something I would tell my children as a bed time story, but I believed it nonetheless. After some talks with the princesses I was relived of my duty's and went back to the farm and fell asleep. That night I dreamt of when I could see those things again, of when I could learn of their strife and help them. It continued to haunt me for days.

Their was event after event in the country and they all eluded me as I had no need for any of it. There was one I was asked to participate in, it involved some guy they imprisoned in stone. 'Discord', the spirit of chaos. Since we all had immunity to magic, but the others had things to do, I was called on. He seemed to be an alright guy, if a bit on the crazy side. He also actively avoided touching me for some reason. I never got an answer for that as each time I asked, he drifted the subject away. He was 'reformed' and allowed to live somewhat peacefully in the country, as long as he did nothing chaotic. I doubted this would work but helped in any way I could. Besides that day, there wasn't much I was involved in. That was, until Jerm showed up.

Jeremy was a kid, only a year or so younger than me, and initially he was a shy and collected person, normally keeping to himself. I assumed he would be fine without us when we got here, but I needn't worry as he would follow our footsteps. Except, he didn't come over the same kid we knew. He was mad, with crazy powers to boot. He started terrorizing the town, yelling obscenities at the innocent civilians as he burnt down their houses and terrified the poor youngling. When I arrived, he took no time in engaging in battle with me. It was a difficult fight, he surprised me with his strength, and he was as resilient as I was. Eventually the other two came to help, doing all they could. His powers had no affect on us, but he was persistent in using them, if only to distract us. It seemed to be going in our favor until a cry could be heard from behind us. It was Jane. She held her bleeding stomach and fell to the ground. Somehow Jeremy found his way behind us and made a duplicate for us to fight. He held a black sword, stained with blood, close to him as he stared at us. I rushed him in a blind furry, knocking his sword away, and wrapped my hands around his throat, squeezing until he moved no longer. We found out later that Jane would not make it. When I heard that news, I left. I left the town and the country, looking for somewhere to get away.

I made It to a mountain top and screamed at the top of my lungs to the darkening clouds. I screamed for her, for my family, and for everyone who had suffered during our stay. I then walked to the edge and stared down, guessing the distance. I wondered, how strong was I really? I was going to find out. I took a step of the ledge... except my foot did not move. My body obeyed my commands no longer, as it walked backwards and fell onto stable ground. I stared at the dark sky. It was going to be night very soon. I closed my eyes and lay there for hours. I almost fell asleep when something impacted my chest. Quickly sitting up, I looked around, only to find no one there. I grabbed at the object, finding it to be a pocket watch. Nothing really significant, no symbols or markings, just plain old silver. I stared at it and held it properly in my hand. My thumb rested above the opening button, but it dare not move. I could sense something off. I felt like if it pushed that button, then there would be no going back. No returns. I thought about it. Then I used my other hand to push my thumb down.


Atop the mountain, flashed a bright white light before it vanished, gone as soon as it came. In its wake, lying upon the flat surface, were the few pebbles that managed to find themselves stuck up there. Nothing else. No human. No stopwatch. Not a thing.

...at least, no yet.

Comments ( 1 )

"It's good being here."
...
Longing for Magic Pony Land? In a HiE fic? No way.

Login or register to comment