• Published 22nd Nov 2011
  • 2,133 Views, 19 Comments

Sunshine, Over New Horizons - StarStrider



A story of a misunderstood mailmare revealing her true self, and discovering the magic of freindship

  • ...
1
 19
 2,133

Dawn Pt. 1

Early the next morning, Sunshine was busy in her bathroom brushing her mane, nervously looking herself over in the mirror. She wanted to make a better impression on Twilight than she had the day before, so she was trying her best to make sure she looked perfect. When she was finally happy with her mane, she set the brush down and took a deep breath, staring into the mirror. Straining hard, she managed to get her eyes to line up straight, but as soon as she eased up, it drifted back off into the opposite direction.

“Stupid eye....” She sighed, rubbing at it with her hoof before exiting the room. “Dinky dear, did you finish your breakfast?” She asked as she made her way into the kitchen

“Yes mom! It was delicious!” She smiled happy at her mom as she got up to put her empty plate in the sink

“I'm glad! Are you all ready for school, then?”

Dinky nodded, “Yep, I'm all ready!” She trotted over and pulled her saddlebag that was leaning against the table leg onto her back

Sunshine looked up at the clock, “Well then, lets go! If we leave now, you should get there early enough to ask Miss Cheerilee that question you had about your homework.”

“Alright! Lets go then.” She smiled and walked towards the door

Sunshine followed behind her, stepping in front to open the door, “After you~” She gestured out the door with her hoof and took a small bow. They both giggled, and Dinky bowed back before walking out.

“Mom, you're so silly.” the filly giggled to herself as her mother closed the door. Sunshine smiled and nuzzled her before they both set off for town.

They trotted together down the path into town; it was a bright morning, the sun just cresting over the treeline behind them. It was late in the year, however, and the chill of the night still lingered. The dew on the ground was only making it worse, as the elder mare's hooves were getting soaked. Looking over, Sunshine noticed her daughters coat collecting a lot of moisture as well.

“Dear? Would you like to ride on mommy's back? You must be pretty cold.”

Before Dinky could answer, Sunshine already had her head under her belly, lifting her up slightly. With a nod of agreement, she lifted her up on top of her head, and slid her down her neck so the filly was resting on her back.

Sunshine felt cold wet hooves wrap around her neck, “Thanks mom, you're awesome.” the filly giggled and nuzzled into her mothers mane. With a big smile, the pegasus raised her wings, covering the sides of her filly with her warm feathers.

“It's my pleasure dear. I can't have you getting sick, now can I?” she said with a smile

“Yuck, I hate being sick!” The young unicorn stuck out her tongue, making the elder mare giggle

With her child all snuggled up, Sunshine continued off at a brisk pace, almost a gallop. 'Oh, this is going to be so much fun!' She thought to herself, 'It's been so long since I've been over to a friends house!'

The filly clung to her mothers neck and giggled excitedly as the air blew through her mane, “Go faster momma!” she cried out

Sunshine however had just made it up to the school, and turned to show her filly the building, “I'd love to dear, but we are here already!”

With a pout, the young filly slid off her moms back and stretched out a bit, “Aww, I was hopping for a longer ride...”

Sunshine smiled warmly at her little girl and leaned down to nuzzle her mane gently, “Don't worry dear, mommy will give you another ride later.”

“Yay!” she cheered and turned towards the school, “See you later, mom!” She chirped as she trotted towards the building.

Sunshine was left waving at her filly, a warm smile on her face. Once Dinky was inside, the pegasus opened her wings and took to the sky, “Okay, if I'm going to show up this early, I might as well as get some breakfast for us to munch on... And I know just the thing! Muffins!” She cheered and flew towards the direction of Sugar Cube Corner.

~

A little while later, Sunshine was walking out of the bakery with a big smile on her face, and a basket of steaming muffins on her back. She showed up just as Mrs. Cake had finished a batch of banana nut muffins, her favorite! The aroma alone making her drool upon entering the bakery.

“Oh, I hope she likes these... What if she doesn't?” She let out a gasp. “What if she is allergic to nuts?! Maybe I should have asked first... I hope I don't kill her.” She gulped as the library came into view, 'Keep it together, Sunshine.' she said to herself. With a sigh, she walked up to the door of the library, nervousness making her whole body tremble. She lifted up a hoof and clumsily knocked on the door, each hit with a different intensity and beat. 'Dang it, keep it together I said!' She took a deep breath and stood tall, waiting at the door.

After a few moments however, she let out her breath and looked around, 'Huh, It's too early for her to be out... Maybe I will knock again.' She shrugged to herself and knocked again, this time steadier and stronger. After a few more moments, she was about to knock again, when she heard something on the other side.

“Yeah, yeah, I hear ya.... Hold your horse shoes.” Twilight groaned from the other side.

Sunshine winced under her harsh tone and backed up, 'Oh dear... I've upset her already...' She felt her ears flop down and she prepared to fly off, but the door suddenly flung open.

“Yes?” Twilight said flatly, before seeing the frightened mare in front of her, “Oh! Sunshine! I'm sorry, it's just... You woke me up. I didn't mean to sound so rude.” She stepped aside with a smile, “Please, come in.”

Sunshine nodded and walked into the warm library, turning around to see Twilight close the door. It was only now that she noticed her disheveled mane and the bags under her eyes, “Oh, Twilight, I'm sorry I came so early... I just, I'm so used to getting up extra early for my job, that-”

She was cut off quickly as Twilight raised her hoof, a smile on her face, “It's alright, Sunshine. I gave you a date and a place, not a time. So don't worry about it.” She smiled at the gray pegasus, who returned the happy look. “Hey, whats that on your back?” Twilight pointed to the steaming basket she was carrying

“Oh! I figured, since it was so early, I could bring you breakfast! They're freshly baked banana nut muffins!” She cheered, “They're from Sugar Cube Corner!”

“Banana nut? That’s my favorite! Thank you!” She smiled and lifted the basket off her back with her magic, setting it down on a nearby table.

Sunshine felt an amazing amount of joy at that, “Really? They are my favorite too! And here I was thinking you were going to be allergic.” She giggled and walked over to where Twilight had moved the basket.

“Allergic? Nah, I'm not allergic to anything that I know of.” She magicked a muffin out of the basket, “Except maybe snakes.... But I've never gotten close enough to one to find out.”

They both giggled, and after Sunshine took a muffin for herself, they both bit into their treats, savoring each bite until the entire muffin was consumed.

“Mmm these are so good!” Twilight chirped while grabbing a second muffin.

Sunshine nodded in agreement and did the same and they both finished their treats off with a sigh.

“Whoo, that made me thirsty. Would you like a drink, Sunshine?” Twilight asked as she started heading off into the kitchen.

“That sound lovely!” She replied with a smile and a nod

After a moment, Twilight trotted back in holding two glasses, “I hope you like milk!” She chirped cheerily and handed her a glass

“Oh, I do!” she took the glass and started gulping it down, only stopping when the glass was empty. A deep sigh left her mouth as she placed the glass down and looked over at Twilight who was staring at her with a curious look, which made Sunshine blush brightly “Eh heh... I love milk.”

“I can tell! It's nothing to be embarrassed about.” She giggled, “I've been thinking about which of my friends we should hang out with first, and I've decided that I'm going to take you to meet Fluttershy first. She's a very quiet, very friendly pegasus. I think you two will get along.”

“I hope so... You're being so nice to me, Twilight.” she smiled weakly, “Thank you. Do you think we could hang out, just you and I? When we are done with all of this I mean.”

“Of course! We'll be hanging out a lot. That's what friends do, after all.” Twilight smiled and used her magic to levitate her cup over to the sink, “Would you like to leave soon?”

“Yeah, sure! I gotta be back in time to pick up my muffin from school, so I only have a few hours.” Sunshine stood up and looked around, trying hard to keep her eyes together as she looked at all the books lining the shelves, “You must never get bored with all these books around.”

Twilight chuckled lightly, “You'd be surprised... It is nice living here though. There is a lot of space, and I do enjoy reading more than anything. Do you like reading?”

“M-me? Well, yes, I do. But it's hard sometimes with my eyes... It's hard to stay focused all the time.” she sighed and kicked at the ground, “I can usually manage by moving my good eye to match the other.”

“Hmm...” Twilight looked up for a second in thought, “What about an eye patch? If you cover up your good eye, try only reading with your bad eye, maybe you can train it to stay in place. Or if that doesn't work, you could cover up the bad eye and just read with the good one.”

“I never thought of that! That might actually work!” Sunshine gave a wide grin and walked up to nuzzle Twilight gently, “Thanks for that idea! I'll have to try it out.”

Twilight blushed and gave the nuzzling pegasus a few pats on the back, “Hey, don't mention it... But um, lets go now, okay? I want to make sure you're back by the time school is out.”

“Oh, right! Let us go then.” she backed off with a smile and headed towards the door.

With a flick of her magic, Twilight opened the door, and the two mares left to head to Fluttershy's cabin, trotting under the warmth of the cresting sunshine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N
Sorry for the long wait. I've been super busy x.x sorry if these seems a bit rushed, I wanted to hurry and get it up! Next chapter, Fluttershy!

Comments ( 6 )

Curious to see where you'll be taking this. -ponders-

Tracked, I would love to see how the rest of the Mane 6 react to Sunshine.

YES! Bloody love this!
some error's but i understand
Keep them coming (as much as you can)

Nice job, please do keep up the good work. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment