• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 783 Views, 20 Comments

The Adventures of Shadow Chaser: The Cutie Mark Crusaders in Marelantis - RangerBeef



Shadow ventures to Marelantis with three unexpected guests.

  • ...
 20
 783

Epilogue

Rainbow Dash and I lay on the banks of the Highland Reservoir. After all of the stories I had told at Skip’s “funeral” she had wanted to know more about him. I was more than happy to oblige her. Now we were relaxing in the same place Skip and I used to come to talk about things.

“Oh, Rainbow! Shadow! There you both are!” Rarity’s voice carried over the hill and I rose to my hooves. “Honestly, you two can be so hard to find.”

“That is our job,” I said.

“And you do it very well. Listen, I just wanted to thank you for finding my sister. I admit I was nervous when you said you were taking her to Marelantis but I think she was happier about her being home and even I was.”

I smiled as I remembered Sweetie Belle asking if she could go home. “Yea, Miss Rarity. By the time, we’d finally gotten to our destination; Sweetie was pretty well ready to come home. I think the other girls were as well.”

“Oh, Shadow, darling, you don’t have to call me ‘Miss Rarity.’ You’re a dear friend and I think Rarity would do just fine.”

“You got it, Rarity.” I gave her a sincere smile but I noticed that all my old feelings about her seemed to have left me.

“Well, I’d best be off. Fluttershy is helping me put together a rather large order. Honestly, I don’t know where that pegasus learned to stitch but she is a gem to have around.”

I chuckled softly as she turned to leave. “Well, don’t let me keep you. Try not to work too hard.”

I laid back down next to Rainbow and closed my eyes.

“Shadow, I don’t think I can do this anymore.”

My eyes snapped open and I looked over at her. She was staring at the sky. “Can’t do what anymore?”

She bit her lip as she looked at me and I immediately knew what she was talking about. “I just don’t think it’s right.”

“We can work on it, Rainbow. Make it right. I mean, we’ve made it work up til now, haven’t we?”

“Yea, and we fought each other the whole way. I only get in your way and you only get in mine. We’re just too different.”

I sighed and sat up, looking out over the water. “Do you think we have a chance of getting back together?”

“Maybe. But something big would have to happen.” She sat up beside me and leaned into me. I embraced her gently.

“You think I could get Rarity?” I asked through a chuckle.

Rainbow giggled into my chest. “After that display? Yea, she’d do just about anything for you.”

“Well, at least we had a good run, right?”

“Yea, we did.”

We sat in silence for a while, both of us contemplating what the future would bring. We watched the sun set slowly behind the mountains in the distance and just enjoyed each other’s company. I listened to Rainbow’s breathing and she listened to my heart beat in my chest. After a long while, I finally broke the silence.

“So do you think the weather team will take you back?”

“Of course they will. I’m only the best flier in Equestria.”

I laughed as I helped her to her hooves. “Come on, let’s go home.”

Comments ( 4 )

Even though I understand the reasons, it's really sad to see Shadow and Rainbow Dash go their separate ways :fluttershysad:
They were such a great crime solving duo despite their differences.
Well it was definitely a great ride with awesome new characters, changeling intrigue and heartbreaking backstory for Shadow. :twilightsmile:

1104125 Well, at least I didn't have the relationship end. I toyed with the idea throughout that conversation and kept it purposefully vague. In the end, I decided they make an alright couple but Shadow works best alone. So, Rainbow might still be in the stories but she won't be solving any more mysteries.

1104452
So there's still hope for them! :pinkiehappy:
At least cameos for Dash anyways and yeah Shadow does get distracted having to look after others while trying to solve a case. Also more stories = :yay:

... Poor Anchor. Never got a work in ... :applecry:

Login or register to comment