• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 782 Views, 20 Comments

The Adventures of Shadow Chaser: The Cutie Mark Crusaders in Marelantis - RangerBeef



Shadow ventures to Marelantis with three unexpected guests.

  • ...
 20
 782

Chapter 4

Rainbow and I walked over to Applejack and the Crusaders who were waiting on one of the small couches in the lobby.

“Where’s the Captain?” I asked.

“One the receptionist said they had somethin’ they needed to talk to him about. She looked scared,” Applejack explained.

“Okay, you guys wait here, I’ll grab him and then we can take a walk to the train station.” I gave a forced smile to them and made my way over to the Captain, who was standing at the front desk with the receptionist and a policecolt.

The receptionist stopped short in her sentence as I walked up and the policecolt moved to intercept me.

“He’s alright, officer. He’s a private detective and a friend who was with me when all this went down,” the Captain said. The policecolt and I traded nods and then I took a few steps toward the counter. “Please continue.”

“Well, I knew he wasn’t the real,” she paused and gestured at me, “him because he didn’t ask for the Captain. He asked for you by your real name. So I gave him the number of a room that was empty. Well, it was supposed to be empty…” She broke down into tears and the policecolt took his turn to speak.

“The man in the room that caught fire was the owner of the hotel. He likes to stay in the room without his staff knowing so he can gauge how well they do at keeping things clean, security, things like that. Apparently, it’s the same room that this mare gave to” he paused and gestured at me also,” him.”

“Excuse me, but why do you keep pointing at me like that?”

The Captain turned and lowered his voice so only I could hear him, “The colt who asked for me looked exactly like you and they expect the same one that started the fire. And since I was lying awake on the floor for most of the night, your alibi is pretty air tight. They’re thinking there’s a changeling in town and he’s after me.”

I stared at him in disbelief. I hadn’t seen a changeling in since the royal wedding. I’d protected a group of ponies in a café when they had attacked Canterlot and knew they thrived on love but my mind couldn’t grasp why one would be after the Captain.

“All the more reason for us to hurry, then. The last train leaves in the morning. We need to put the girls on it and then figure out what this changeling is after.”

“Well, he’s after me, Shadow. Seems like the best plan would be for me to leave town. And since the ship is already packed and the crew already aboard then we can simply set sail a day early.”

“Fine with me. Let’s get to the train station and get the girls headed home.”

Suddenly the radio on the policecolt’s shoulder cracked to life. It was unintelligible to us but he mumbled something back into it and received a quick response.

“Afraid, the train station is out of the question, sir. Apparently, that hotel room wasn’t the only fire that’s been set tonight. The whole station has been burnt to the ground.”

“Well, looks like our voyage just added a few more passengers,” the Captain spoke cheerfully, despite somepony’s obvious attempt to keep him in town.

I looked at the Captain, somberly. “We may have to postpone, Captain. I’m not willing to take Applejack and the Crusaders on a trip like this.”

“Well, why don’t you let them decide that?” He pointed behind me and I saw Rainbow, Applejack and the Crusaders walking up to us.

“Let us decide what?” Applejack asked, plainly.

I took a deep breath. I hated having to tell the truth all the time so I opted to tell only half the story. “The train station’s been burnt down and the Captain needs us to set sail tomorrow. The only option is for you four to come with us.”

The eyes of the Cutie Mark Crusader lit up. They would have no problem getting on that ship. Applejack, on the other hoof, looked worried. She had just wanted to get the girls and then return home. A voyage that could last months was not something she could manage. Being gone from the farm for more than a few days was a challenge for her, now she was staring a long and unexpected vacation in the face with few ways out.

“Ah don’t know, Shadow. Ah can’t leave the farm fer that long. Big Mac an’ Granny Smith will be needin’ me for harvestin’ and ah don’t think the girls should be going on such a dangerous trip.”

Applebloom stepped forward from the Crusaders. “Aw, come on, AJ! You always say how nice a vacation would be. And Uncle Red and Uncle Golden will be there next month fer their visit, I’m sure they’d stay ta help harvest.”

Applejack shot Applebloom a look but the look on her sister’s face actually seemed to convince her. “Aw heck, ah guess a little vacation wouldn’t hurt so much. But we should really write to them and ask them to stay instead of just assumin’ they will.”

“I can take down a letter and have it mailed when the dragon comes in.”

“Well, that’s mighty kind of ya.” Applejack, with the Crusaders in tow, went to write a letter to the Delicious twins.

I looked at Rainbow Dash after they were out of ear shot. “You sure you’re okay with coming? I’ll walk back to Ponyville right now if you don’t feel up to it.”

She smiled at me. “That’s sweet but don’t be stupid. Besides, with the train out I’d just be waiting around to leave. Ponyville’s a bit out of my reach with these old wings. Like I said before, I’d rather be with you.”

I turned back to the Captain. “I guess it’s settled then. We’ll all be going.”

“Excellent! As soon as they’re done with the letter we can head down to the docks and be ready to go by sun up. Though I think the crew will be a few ponies short. The last two were set to arrive the same day you were.”

“Oh, I can get replacements. Who’re we missing?”

“Well, one was just a deck hand so anypony will do. The other was the captain of the fire crews.” He glanced at the clock on the wall. “Where’re you going to find replacements at one in the morning?”

“Clearly you’ve lost touch with how good I am.” I glanced at the door of the hotel to see Bruno making his way toward the stairs again. “Hey Bruno! You want a fire chief job on a ship?”

“Depends. How’s the pay?”

“Pay’s great, buddy.”

“Deal.” He turned, took off his fire hat and handed it to the nearest firefighter. “Tell the chief I quit.”

I smirked and glanced back at the Captain. “See? One down, one to go and I might even be able to kill two birds with one stone. Hey Bruno!”

He’d made his way over to us by now. “What’s up, boss?”

“Don’t call me boss. Do you know where Two-tone lives?”

“Sure do. Just up the street from here.”

I laughed looked back to the Captain once again. “Just batting a thousand right now! I’m on fire!” Before I could enjoy a victory dance I was doused by a bucket of cold water. “What was that!?”

I looked at a young colt wearing a too large for him fire hat. “Sorry, sir. I’m new and you yelled that you were on fire.”

The Captain, Bruno and Rainbow Dash all got a good laugh at my expense as I shook myself out.

“Don’t worry about it, kid.”

Applejack and the Crusaders returned from writing their letter.

“What happened to you, Shadow?” Applejack asked, sincerely.

“Just a little instant karma. Hey girls, you know Bruno, right?”

They had yet to notice that their resident protector was standing in our small circle now.

“Mr. Drop!” they shouted in unison as we all cringed.

“Hi girls.” He smiled at them like an old friend. He had a way with fillies that I would never understand.

“Alright, let’s get down to business. Bruno, would you escort Applejack and the girls to the docks, along with the Captain? Rainbow Dash and I will head to pick up the final member of our crew and meet you down there.”

“Sure thing.”

The girls and Applejack followed him out the door of the hotel but the Captain lingered.

“Don’t do anything stupid before you head down to the docks. Go get Two-tone and hurry down to us.”

“Don’t worry. We’ll be fine.” The Captain turned to catch up to Bruno and the girls.

Rainbow Dash and I slowly followed, letting them have a hefty lead on us and we couldn’t even see them by the time we hit the street. I turned us down the road and we began a slow walk.

“Why did the Captain tell us to be careful? We’re just walking down the street.”

I took a moment to explain to Rainbow Dash the part I hadn’t told Applejack.

“A changeling? Here? That’s nuts, we beat them all at the royal wedding.”

“Yea, but where did they go? Just flying off into the distance. They had to regroup at some point.”

“I don’t know. You’d think they’d just attack us if there were a bunch of them working together. When one changeling is after you he uses more sneaky tactics. Trying to find you in your hotel, setting the train station on fire so you can’t leave town. That sounds like something a single changeling would do.”

I gave her a befuddled looked.

“I read a book about them after the attack on the royal wedding. Twilight bragged for days that she’d influenced me to read more.” Dash rolled her eyes as she no doubt had when Twilight had made the claim.

“Well then I’m glad you’re with us. If we’re dealing with a changeling it’s nice to have an expert on board.”

“I’m no expert. And does that mean you weren’t glad to have me before?”

“Of course not. I was nervous before. Especially after what happened at the hotel. Now, with something to focus us both on, I think we’re more in our element.”

She nodded but didn’t speak as we approached Two-tone’s home.

I knocked softly not wanting to startle such a large stallion. I heard some rumbling inside and a loud crash followed by a string of curses. Rainbow stifled a laugh. As the door opened slowly we were met with a very groggy Two-tone.

“Shadow? Who are you? What’re you doing here?” He looked back and forth at Rainbow and I as he asked his questions.

“Two-tone, this is Rainbow Dash. My partner. We’re here to get you for our trip I promised you.”

“You said that would be next week.”

“Plans changed and we need to leave by morning. So if you want to come it has to be now.”

He nodded slowly as he stepped outside and closed the door. “Alright, Shadow. Let’s go.”

“Don’t you want to grab some supplies? A suitcase or something?”

“What for? This old house is the only thing I own in the world and I can barely afford that. It’s not like you need much for being a body guard anyway.”

I nodded and we began to walk back up the street, heading to the docks this time.

“How ya doin’, miss?” Two-tone nodded his head at Rainbow Dash, who nodded back. “Name’s Tony. Friend’s call me Two-tone. How’d you get hooked up with this shady colt?”

“What do you mean? Shadow’s not a shady pony,” Rainbow said as she gave me a look.

“He’s just joking. Always thought I was a shady colt because of my mane and my coat,” I shot Tony a look indicating he should shut up about my past then turned back to Rainbow, smiling.

Her raised eyebrow said she wasn’t impressed with my answer but she didn’t have time to question me further.

“Well, well, well, trying to get out of town tonight, are we?” We all stopped immediately and I turned to see my brother standing in front of us with two ponies that looked like Two-tone standing next to him.

“Hello, Broomtail.”

“Shadow, how could you drop in on me and just leave without saying good-bye? I’m hurt, brother.” I cringed as he called me that and I heard the shock in Rainbow’s voice.

“Brother?”

“Who said we’re leaving, Broomtail? We’re just taking a midnight stroll with Tony here.”

“That’s all I was doing as well. I found I missed having Tony around but why do I need him when I have these two?” He patted the two ponies standing next to him.

Rainbow spoke from behind me, “Two-tone, you don’t by any chance have two identical twin brothers, do you?”

“None my parents ever told me about. Those are changelings, little lady.”

“Oh, very good, Tony! You’re not nearly as dim as I thought. Unfortunately, I can’t allow the three of you to make it back to your destination. You see, Shadow’s not the only one in the family that gets hired to do work.”

“So you became a hitman? Mom and Dad spend their lives raising us to obey and uphold the law and you go and stomp all over that? They’d be disappointed, Broomtail.” I could see my words hit home as his nostrils flared and his eyes
filled with rage.

“End them.”

The Two-tone changelings rushed forward and Rainbow and the real Two-tone did with the same speed and intensity. I fired an energy shot at the changeling in front of Rainbow which sent it toppling and forced it to its form. It quickly recovered, taking flight and meeting Rainbow Dash in the air trading blows.

Tony met his opponent in the middle of the street. While the changeling looked like Two-tone, he didn’t have nearly the same physical strength and was quickly overcome with a few quick punches from Tony. He lifted the much lighter than himself changeling over his head and held him there.

“Get some distance from him, little lady.”

Rainbow looked down from the headlock she had on the changeling and saw what Tony was planning. She quickly kneed the changeling in the chin and pushed away from him. As Rainbow flew clear Tony threw with all his might, smashing the two changelings together as they fell from the sky in a heap.

“Nicely done, Shadow. I guess I’ll have to prepare a bit better for next time.” Broomtail turned and headed down a nearby alley, disappearing into the maze of back alleys that twisted its way through town.

Rainbow moved to give chase but I caught he tail in my teeth, holding her still.

“What are you doing? We have to go after him!”

I spit her tail from my mouth, “No we don’t, Rainbow. By the time we see him again we’ll be coming back from finding Marelantis. There’s nothing he could do between now and when we get to the ship.”

Rainbow landed next to me, again looking dissatisfied with my answer. “But he said he’d been hired to kill you. We’ll have to deal with it eventually.”

“Yes, we will. But not tonight,” I pointed to the sun beginning to rise over the horizon. “We’re behind schedule. Fly to the ship and tell them we’re on our way and to be ready to go when we get there.”

“But, Shadow…”

“No ‘buts’ Rainbow. Just go. Tony and I can handle ourselves for the quick run to the docks.”

Her eyes flashed with anger at my demands but she consented, flying off quickly before turning on a dime and landing before me once again, embracing me. “Be careful.” Like a flash she was gone again, only a rainbow colored trail visible in her wake.

I looked back at Tony who gave me a quick nod and we were off. Tony didn’t live too far from the docks but far enough that I was quite out of breath when we arrived.

I looked from ship to ship, wondering which the Captain had procured for us and finally spotted Rainbow circling the top of one, obviously on lookout for us. We rushed to the ship and up the gangway, knocking it off and onto the docks as we boarded. That was all the other ponies had been waiting for as the cast the mooring lines into the water and we felt ourselves begin to drift out into open water.

Two-tone and I made our way up to where the Captain steered the ship carefully out of the bay while whistling a quiet sailing to himself.

“Glad you finally made it, Shadow. Tony! I haven’t seen you in ages! Are you our last sailor?”

“You betcha. I couldn’t let Shadow here head out on a grand adventure without me.”

The Captain laughed, “Well, we’re happy to have you! Go find Anchor Light. He’s got a blue coat and dark blue mane with a sky blue streak in it, large Anchor as his cutie mark. You’ll be on his team.”

Tony gave a joking salute and said, “Aye, Captain,” before trotting off.

After he had gone the Captain gave me a glance. “How bad is it?”

I looked at him quizzically, “How bad is what?”

“Well, when your girlfriend came back she just started shouting that we have everything ready to cast off when you got here. You wouldn’t have told her to do that unless something was up. So how bad are we talking?”

I sighed. “Broomtail’s gone into ‘The Business.’ And he’s after me. We’ll need to keep out eyes on the horizon. Knowing him he’ll have a ship in the water before the day’s out.”

“Well, then it’s a good thing the only ship I could afford was an old warship. She’s not the fastest and she’s past her prime but she can still hold her own in a fight. I’ll tell Black Powder to keep the canons below deck loaded and in place.” The Captain gave the wheel a mighty turn as we headed into deeper waters. “We’re officially underway, Shadow. Oh, and you might want to see to Applejack in the Captain’s Quarters. She started to look green around the gills the moment she stepped aboard so I sent her there to rest.”

I smiled to myself and nodded. “Sure thing. I’ll find Black Powder and let him know too. Just got one thing to take care of first.”

I looked up at the crow’s nest and saw Rainbow Dash still circling it. I stepped away from the Captain and felt the familiar weightless feeling return to me for a moment, opening my eyes to the exquisite view the crow’s nest offered.

“Twilight would be proud of how easily you picked that one up, ya know?” Rainbow landed next to me in the nest.

“Well, she didn’t see all the time I ended up in a tree, did she?” We both chuckled, remembering all my failed attempts to perfect teleporting.

We sat in silence for a moment enjoying the view and each other’s company. Bridle Shores Bay was fading behind us and the only thing we could see in the distance was water. Flat and calm.

“It’s not actually flat, you know,” Rainbow said, as if reading my mind. “You can’t see it from the ground. You can’t even see it from up here. But when you get up high enough, you start to see it all curve down. Makes you feel really small when you think about it.” She spoke softly, staring at the horizon as if she had always been a sailor and had been long removed from her love of the ocean.

All I could do was smile. Finally glancing at her and speaking quietly, “You going to be okay up here?”

She smiled at the horizon, never taking her eyes off of it. “Yea, I think so. If I hadn’t been born a pegasus I would’ve been Equestria’s best sailor.”

“Don’t bet on it, missy!” The Captain shouted at us from below and we shared a laugh.

“Alright, Dash. I’m going to go check on Applejack; the Captain said she wasn’t feeling well.”

“Alright, I’m up here for the day. The Captain said I could take the day shift lookout position.” She turned and kissed me before I could teleport out. “Thanks for letting me come, Shadow.”

I smiled at the kiss, “My pleasure.”

She giggled as I teleported to the deck below, startling a few of the sailors.

“Sorry, folks.” None seemed to mind and they all went about their business and I headed to the Captain’s Quarters located right on the main deck.

As I entered I saw Applejack lying on a rather comfortable looking bed with a bucket next to her. I feared she may have been sick but she reassured me quickly.

“Just in case,” she mumbled as she stared at me.

I pulled up a chair and sat next to her.

“You alright, Applejack?”

“Oh, ah’ll be alright. Guess ah just haven’t grown my sea legs yet.” She smiled meekly.

I thought to back to an old book I’d read as a younger colt and remembered something that could help her. I extended my hoof to her.

“Come on. I know how to make you feel better.”

“Ah don’t know, Shadow. My stomach’s mighty upset.”

“Come on, AJ. Would I lie to you?” I winked at her.

She chuckled and grabbed my hoof, standing slowly. “Not that you could.”

I led her out onto the deck slowly. Holding her hoof the whole way. As we hit the sunlight she lowered her Stetson to block its bright rays. I led her over to some steps and eventually up to the ship’s wheel where the Captain had noticed us and took a moment to break from steering.

“What’re you doing, Shadow?”

“Remember, the first time we went sailing in a real boat and how sick it made me?” I lead Applejack up to the wheel.

“Yes, but.. Oooh!” He finally realized what I was doing.

“What? What’re we doing?” Applejack looked at the wheel, confused.

“Applejack. You’re going to steer the ship,” I said, plainly.

“Whoa there. Ah ain’t never steered a ship before and ah don’t think this is the time to start.” Applejack protested as I gently placed her hoof on the wheel.

“Trust me, AJ. Two of the best ways to keep from being seasick are to keep busy and stare at the horizon. Steering is a great way to do both of those.” I lifted her Stetson slowly and leaned into her, pointing over the ship and out to the ocean. “See the horizon way out there? Focus on that.”

Applejack raised her head and I saw her eyes move up the ship and then on to the horizon as her other hoof moved up to the wheel to steady herself. Almost immediately I saw some color return to her face.

She stared off for a moment more before saying softly, “Wow…”

“If you’re willing I’m sure the Captain would be happy to let you stay up here and steer for us.” I looked at the Captain as I spoke and he nodded happily.

“Ah’d sure like that.” Applejack spoke with the wonderment of a filly seeing Princess Celestia for the first time.

“Alright, Cap, you take good care of her,” I slugged his arm as I said that, walking past him, “I’m going to go finish making sure everything below deck is good to go.”

I moved quickly below deck bumping into the Cutie Mark Crusaders as I went.

“Are you girls staying out of trouble?”

“Yes, Shadow,” they answered in unison.

“We’ve been helping the cook get things sorted out in the kitchen,” Sweetie Belle said.

“Well, as long as you girls keep out of trouble I won’t confine you to your quarters.” I winked at them and they giggled. “Why don’t you three go up top and visit the Captain and Applejack at the helm? AB, you can see your sister become a full-fledged captain.”

Applebloom shot me a confused glance, “Huh?”

“Just go see them girls.”

They took off up the stairs and I yelled after them. “And stay out of trouble!”

“Aw.. They won’t hurt anything,” said a female voice behind me.

I turned to see a pony with a coat slightly darker than sea foam green and dark purple hair and similarly purple eyes. She smiled at me warmly.

“Hi. Name’s Aqua Illusion.” She shook my hoof quickly. “You must be the detective.”

“Shadow. It’s a pleasure. What do you do around here?”

“Oh, I’m the night manager. My husband, Anchor Light, is the day manager. I’m actually headed to the crew quarters right now.”

“Oh, can you wait just a minute then? I had planned on being on the night crew.”

She nodded happily. “Oh, sure. No problem.”

I turned and walked down to where the canons were, with Aqua in tow, and found my way over to Black Powder who ponies were affectionately calling Gunny. He noticed me walking up and gave a very trained salute.

“Sir! Gunnery Sergeant Black Powder on duty, sir!” He snapped to attention as he spoke.

Remembering a little military jargon I’d picked up long ago I said, “At ease, Gunny.” He visibly loosened up and looked at me. “I just need to give you a heads up. We might have some unexpected guests following us. The Captain wants to keep the canons loaded and ready to go.”

“Not a problem, sir.” He snapped off another salute and rather than telling him to relax, which I knew he would never do, I gave him a salute back, which he seemed to appreciate.

I turned to Aqua. “I’m all yours. Lead the way.”

We walked quickly through the ship and down one more deck to the crew quarters. One half of the ship was dedicated to the day shift, the other half to the night shift. I found a free bunk and settled in, letting myself drift off into some much needed sleep.