• Published 20th Nov 2011
  • 4,708 Views, 42 Comments

The Student's Freedom - E11imist



When Spike falls ill, Twilight is delivered a letter which will have some big repercussions.

  • ...
7
 42
 4,708

Chapter 4

Time flew faster than the neutrino particles Twilight had been reading about. She had casually told Derpy about the party at Pinkie’s and that she would meet her there at 7. Derpy had seemed very happy to hear the news and had told Twilight that she “can’t wait for Saturday.”

Saturday afternoon at 5 PM Twilight looked in her mirror. A nervous and cute purple mare looked back at her with a queasy smile. This wasn’t something to be worried about, but she still couldn’t help it. What if she makes a complete idiot out of herself? Scenes of the Canterlot Garden Party flashed through her mind. Her dancing had seemed like an ultimate form of upper-crust repellant, but they did end up having a lot of fun that evening. Twilight hastily consulted her copy of Crushes, Dating and the Single Young Mare: Everything you wanted to know about dating but were afraid to ask.

Confidence is a single mare’s best friend.

“Hmm, well that’s a very concise way to put it,” Twilight thought aloud. She supposed she would just have to fake it and hope for the best.

---------------------------

Meanwhile among the clouds, Derpy had been preparing for the party too. It wasn’t a big deal, but she had really started to enjoy her morning conversations with Twilight. Even when there wasn’t much to talk about Twilight always had some random and funny fact to throw out there.
Derpy hadn’t read too much into the invitation, but for a mare that rarely socialised outside her 5 friends, it probably wasn’t easy to ask someone as optically challenged as herself to a party.

---------------------------

Pinkie was an energy bomb that exploded whenever the doorbell rang. Twilight would have to remember to tell Fluttershy that it was indeed possible to explode twice.

“Hey Twilight! How are you? Are you excited? Cause I’m excited...”

“Pinkie! Yes I am very excited! Who else is here?” Twilight knew where this conversation usually went so she had learnt by now that it was a good idea to simply interrupt her enthusiastically.

“Well Gummy is here, but he seems kind of overdressed, don’tcha think?”

Twilight looked over to the toothless alligator in his tuxedo. She suppressed a laugh and looked back at Pinkie, who seemed to think this was the most normal thing in the world. Loud dubstep was thumping inside and she could see lots of lights and ponies dancing.

“See, Twi! He thinks this is a fancy dress party! He’s so random sometimes...”

“Uhm, yeah I guess so... Is anypony else here?”

“Yes! Rainbow Dash has been here since 5, she really seems to like it here. But where are my manners, come in and meet everypony!”


Twilight walked in and saw that Pinkie wasn’t lying when she said “everypony.”
There was a barrel of cider suspended above the punch bowl, which Twilight suspected had basically become a cider bowl. EuroBrony was playing loud on the speakers and even Vinyl Scratch had even showed up to DJ. Twilight scanned the crowd for Derpy, and found her grooving slightly offbeat and waving her hooves in the air, which reminded Twilight a bit of her own style. She did her best version of hybrid dance-walking towards Derpy and playfully bumped her with her flank. Derpy fell over on her face in a very unceremonious manner and managed to pull Twilight down next to her. But rather than seem angry, she seemed pleasantly surprised.

“Hey Twilight! When did you get here?” She screamed - while still lying on the ground - over the music into Twilight’s ear.

“Just now!” She screamed back, “I couldn’t help but see you dancing so...” Twilight frantically searched her vocabulary for a semi-appropriate word. “energetically.”

“Hehe, thanks I guess, by the way was it you who knocked me over?”

“Uhm, yes.” Twilight confessed while she hoped that she wasn’t blushing visibly.

“It’s okay, do you wanna get up and dance some more?”

“Sure!” Twilight smiled.

They both continued to dance in their own weird, spastic way. To an outsider it must have seemed something like a fun and coordinated epileptic fit. Finally, when they were both too tired to gyrate any more they retired to the cider bowl.

Berry Punch was passed out next to the table in the recovery position. They both carefully stepped over her and poured some cider. Derpy led Twilight outside by the hoof, where they sat down next to the bakery.

“So Twilight, what convinced you to invite me to a party before it was organised?”

“What, what, where did you even?” Twilight fumbled for words as she nervously scratched the back of her head.

“It’s okay Twi, Pinkie may be the best secret keeper, but she’s also the best non-secret teller. She told me when I delivered her mail that Twilight had just the great idea to have a party this weekend. This was after you invited me, so I guessed that Pinkie didn’t know about it when you invited me. Also you confirmed my guess when you blushed like a tomato just now.”

Twilight chuckled nervously, “Yeah, well I guess I did.”

Derpy turned to look deep into Twilight’s eyes and said: “Well I’m very glad you did.”

Twilight turned a redder shade of crimson, but held her gaze.
“...” words were not forming.

“Twilight.”

“Yes?” She swallowed nervously.

“Do I have to wait for you to kiss me or am I gonna have to do it?”

In a moment of sheer unprecedented impulse Twilight took the lead and grabbed the strange grey mare and kissed her like she had been wanting to since she had woken up ever so disillusioned from that dream starring the same wall-eyed pegasus.
This is what the book was talking about, everything melted away until all that remained was her and the pony she was kissing, locked together in total infatuation.
The kiss lasted both forever and no time at all, and when it was over Twilight was feeling both exhilarated and filled with longing.

Nopony spoke for a while, until Derpy broke the silence.

“Wow, just... wow.”

Twilight gave her an eager smile and said: “Shut up Derpy.”

They kissed again and again, until their mouths hurt and their tongues were tired.

Derpy finally broke the kiss and asked:
“Do you want to date? See where this crazy chemistry takes us?”

Twilight nodded stupidly and said,
“Only since the moment you knocked.”

To be continued

Comments ( 11 )

AHHHHH YEAH! Derp got swag!:derpytongue2:

Yes! I love me some TwiDerp.

nice, please make it longer, or update more frequently... I will gladly read this story until it's finished.

also on that note, Ditzy (Derpy) is quite straightforward I like it. :ajsmug:

Well done so far. I really like this pairing...

I love it !:rainbowkiss::heart:

This must continue. It's fun, and very cute.

ahh sweet, cant wait to see what happens next if there is going to be a next chapter.

Seems to me like somebody likes to get right into the fray. I mean, Twilight and Derpy were too accepting; they aren't even surprised that they like each other. It's just that it isn't very realistic, even for a fic (ironic, huh?). Just slow down. :ajsmug: And I'm hoping for the next chapter not taking extremely long to upload. But I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon... Sigh.:fluttershysad: Yup, read all your comments while on your break, if you're stuck.

*digging noises* "All right, drop it in" *buries dead fanfic*

Blunt Rarity, Perverted Twilight, and Seductive Derpy.

I love it.

Most Excellent story. Can't wait for more.

Login or register to comment