• Published 2nd Dec 2015
  • 9,632 Views, 17 Comments

Sunlight in the Dark - FlameMist



What happens when you cuddle with, kiss, hold hands with, and sleep with your friend all in one night?

  • ...
12
 17
 9,632

Sunlight in the Dark

Author's Note:

The first little bit of this story is reanacting the scene in Rainbow Rocks, but put into writing of my own style. It is not like that the whole book. I merley use that scene as a time to give background knowledge for the rest of the book. Please do not skip, there are events from that scene that lead up to later scenes in the story that will not make sense if you haven't read that part. Thanks! :pinkiehappy:

DING DONG!

"Pizza's here!" Pinkie Pie gasped, running out of the room faster than you could say 'wild'. It didn't take long for the others to follow her. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Sunset. They were all having a sleepover at Pinkie's.

But Twilight stayed behind. She just couldn't stop thinking. What if the counter spell doesn't work? What if she fails her friends and the Dazzlings win? It was too much pressure. Everyone was always looking to her for all the answers, and yet, she doesn't know the first thing about this world. Sunset did. But she obviously still needed to learn friendship more.

Pinkie Pie rushed back to Twilight, holding a slice of pizza in her mouth. "Doughn youmph wannany pizffa?" She said, the pizza still in her mouth. Twilight nodded, taking one last glance at Fluttershy's notebook that she'd lent her, and rushing into the kitchen.


"Goodnight everybody!" Pinkie smiled, clicking off the lamp so that it was completely dark in the room. That was a fun night, but It all had to come to an end. Everybody was settled into their beds, wether it was an actual bed, a sleeping bag, or in Fluttershy's arms (in Spike's case). They all said goodnight, and plopped their heads on their pillows to sleep.

Twilight obviously wasn't going to sleep. She couldn't. Like she said, there was too much pressure on her. She was going to use her time wisely to make that counter spell. Everybody fell asleep pretty quick. Within an hour everybody was sound asleep. Twilight stared around the room, making sure that indeed everyone was sleeping.

Her eyes stopped at Sunset. She felt something go off inside of her, but she wasn't paying attention to figure out what her body was telling her. She just stared at Sunset for a while, watching her snore and then excel air. It wasn't even that loud and annoying like Pinkie Pie did. Man, sometimes Twilight wondered what it could be like to used to be Celestia's student and just... abandon your studies and leave? That didn't seem like the Sunset she was watching sleep. Dang, Sunset wasn't half bad looking.

What was she saying? She was lucky to have a friend like Sunset, and thinking she's pretty isn't that unusual, right? In her world, she knew two mares that were dating; Lyra and Bon Bon, but didn't think much of it. To be honest, she had a little bit of a crush on Flash Sentry. She really needed to get to the pony Flash Sentry before she starts jumping into relationships though.

Twilight soon managed to peel her eyes of the sleeping Sunset, and get up out of bed. She had to step over practically everyone to get to Pinkie's desk drawer where she put Fluttershy's notebook. She soon reached there without waking anyone up, so far so good. She opened the drawer and grabbed the notebook. Then carefully maneuvered herself out of the room and into the kitchen, where she plopped down, ready for the amount of tiredness that was about to grow on her.

About fifteen minutes passed, and Twilight still hadn't wrote anything down yet. Man, this was hard. Not only had she never written music before, nontheless sung before, but she also couldn't seem to get her human mouth to maneuver the pen to write even a single music note. She put the pen down and heaved a sigh. "No, that's not gonna work..." She thought about her situation, but could get no where.

Her mind soon drifted off, bringing back the image of Sunset sleeping. Twilight tried to fight it back, but it seemed to bring her to peace. Thinking about Sunset? Nah. Thinking about anything could calm her down, just even thinking in general. But right now her mind seemed locked on Sunset. She sat there, a small smile forming on her face, drifting off into a deep... slee-

"Hey Twilight!"

Twilight jumped up out of her trance, shaking her head to see Sunset Shimmer standing in the doorway to the kitchen.

"Your up late." She grinned, walking in.

"Just looking over the counter spell." Twilight fake smiled. You could clearly hear the flustered tone in her voice. "We only get one shot at this. It has to be perfect."

"We really are luckier here." Sunset smiled, opened Pinkie's fridge, revealing a bright light that Twilight's eyes weren't used to.

"That's what everyone keeps telling me." Twilight looked down.

"Who could possibly need this much whip cream?" Sunset looked into the fridge, which was completing full of spray cans of whip cream. Twilight chuckled lightly.

"Must be nice having everyone always looking to you for answers to their problems..." Her voice trailed off, she was clearing thinking about something. "Instead of waiting for you to cause a problem." She grabbed a bottle of whip cream sprayed a bud of it on her thumb.

Twilight listened to Sunset willingly, but her mind again drifting off to that same image of a sleeping Sunset. She quickly shook herself. Alright brain, if you want me to say something to her, I will, but I don't think- Sunset was clearly looking at her, expecting some kind of answer. Twilight said what was on her mind.

"Just because people expect something from you doesn't mean it's guaranteed to happen." She said. Because boy, that's what she was feeling right now.

"But that doesn't stop them from expecting it." Sunset rolled her eyes, quickly slipping the whip cream in her mouth.

"Which only makes things harder because the last thing you want to do is-"

"Let everybody down." Sunset's voice joined Twilight's.

Twilight smiled warmly at Sunset. I guess they could relate on a level. Sunset smiled back, shutting the fridge, revealing Pinkie's sister Maud standing behind her. Twilight was going to say something, but it was too late, Sunset turned around and, obviously startled, she let out a shriek.

"Boulder was hungry." Maud said plainly, grabbing a box of crackers and shaking some onto her pet rock. Sunset slowly scooted near Twilight, apparently creeped out by Maud.

"I still can't get over the fact that she's related to Pinkie Pie!" Sunset whispered to Twilight.

"You and me both!" Twilight smiled, and Sunset smiled back. They sat there staring at each other smiling for a while.

Sunset yawned. "I better get some sleep. Good luck with the counter spell, not that you'll need it, this must be nothing compared to all the stuff you have to do as a princess in Equestria!" She said, walking out.

Twilight was way too tired and needed to stop thinking about Sunset Shimmer. Her mind just couldn't seem to stop, like it was trying to tell her something.

She finally gave in. "Sunset Shimmer!"

Sunset turned around, all ears.

Twilight just stared at her emerald eyes, losing herself in them, falling in a trance. She closed her eyes and imagined Sunset again, sleeping, and her beautiful body snug under her covers. Twilight wished, just a little, that she could slip in with her and-

Twilight shook herself. She was clearly making this awkward. "Nevermind. It's not important." She blushed. Sunset turned around and headed for her sleeping bag.

Well... That was... Interesting. Twilight thought. She clearly needed some sleep too, her mind whirring out those kind of thoughts. She really was tired. She quickly shook herself, grabbing Fluttershy's notebook to bring with her.

She entered the room, Sunset was obviously still scooting into her sleeping bag. "Change your mind?" She whispered.

"I think I just need to get some sleep." Twilight smiled, making her way to her sleeping bag.

"The reason I came out there is because I couldn't fall asleep." Sunset said, starting to come out of her sleeping bag. "Honestly, I don't like how tight this sleeping bag is, mind if we trade?"

Twilight looked at Sunset's bag and then at hers. "I think they're the same size." She whispered. "If you want we could try scooting Rainbow over a little and you could sleep on the bed." Twilight gestured to Pinkie's bed, which was occupied by Rainbow and Pinkie, but there could still be room for one more.

Sunset shrugged. "Sure." Twilight peered over Rainbow. There was definitely room for one more.

"It looks like you can just go around and slip in there." Twilight pointed. Sunset walked over to were she told her to, and there was a spot, but Rainbow and Pinkie had all the blanket. Twilight soon noticed the problem, and acted quickly. She run-walked to where she knew Pinkie kept the blankets, and tossed one to Sunset. It was the last one left.

"Wow. Thanks, Twilight!" Sunset smiled, carefully climbing onto the bed and putting the blanket over herself.

"Sure thing." Twilight said.

After a good ten minutes, Twilight spoke. "Mind if I move my sleeping back next to the bed?" She whispered.

"Sure! I guess I do need some company." Sunset replied. She was still wide awake.

Twilight did what she said, moved her sleeping bag so that she was next to Sunset on the floor.

Sunset looked down at her. "Cozy? We can trade places if you want, I really don't want to-"

"No, really, this is fine." Twilight said reassuringly.

After a second, Sunset broke the silence. "So, how's things been going in Equestria?"

Twilight shook herself. "Great!"

Sunset had a look in her face, kind of like worry, but different. Kind of like nervousness. She continued to talk, but got nowhere. After every few minutes, Sunset would ask 'Are you still awake?" or "What time is it?".

Soon after maybe an hour and a half passed of that, Sunset got up out of bed, almost stepping on Twilight. "Okay, I can't handle this anymore. I'm going to go watch Netflix." She grabbed a device from under her pillow and walked out of the room.

Twilight laid in bed for a bit, thinking. She soon decided to follow her out. She got up and went into the kitchen, which to led to a living room, where Sunset was sitting on one of the small couches. She noticed Twilight and smiled. Twilight sat down next to her, feeling the warmth of her body on her cold, shivering one.

Sunset didn't seem to mind though, she was probably cold too. Twilight leaned on her hair, glancing at the screen of her device. Twilight didn't care what was playing. She wasn't even paying attention. Both of them were too tired to even notice what was going on. Twilight could hardly even remember pulling herself out of bed to come out here. In fact, she was starting to feel tired...

Sunset pressed a button on the device, causing the screen to flicker off. She closed her eyes, and Twilight did too. They sat together, leaning on each other on that one-person couch, starting to drift into sleep.

Meanwhile, Pinkie Pie got hungry, causing her to wake up. She always got hungry during the night. Welp, time for her midnight snack! Well, actually it was two in the morning, but meh. She bounced out of bed, not noticing that both Sunset and Twilight weren't in the room.

She went into the kitchen and got out a can of whip cream and a plate. She headed into the living room to eat it. "Hmhmhmhmhmhmmm" She hummed happily as she headed toward her favorite seat for eating her midnight snack. Her-

She stopped, staring at the two occupants of her chair, almost dropping the can and plate. Sunset and Twilight sat on the chair snoozing. Pinkie's jaw dropped. She soon got ahold of herself. "Well... I could save them the awkwardness If I woke them up now, then they could scoot on back to bed! And I can have my chair back!" She said to herself. She lightly shook the pairs' shoulders. They're eyes fluttered open, both of them yawning in sync, not noticing the other. But when they did, and when they saw Pinkie Pie, they both jumped off the couch, startled.

"Oh!" Sunset jumped. "We were just-" "I mean-"

"We-" Twilight stuttered.

"Okie dokie lokie!" Pinkie smiled, like she wasn't aware of what she just saw.

"Ummm... I think we'll just... Um-" Sunset stuttered.

"Go to bed now!" Twilight smiled sheepishly.

Pinkie smiled at them, and they soon realized that they really did need to go to bed. They both left, neither saying a word to each other.

Sunset frowned a little. Actually, that wasn't half bad. Snuggling close to Twilight when she knew she was asleep. Knowing- What? Yea. She could do that kind of thing with any of her friends, giving that she was so tired. Twilight was the one who followed her out anyway. And she even was the one who sat next to her. *Squee!* Twilight wanted to sit next to me! Well, yea, of course, she was Sunset's friend, after all.

Because that's what all this was about. Friendship. She was making friends with Twilight. As they walked into the kitchen, Pinkie quietly hollered, "Look out for the spilled whip cream!". And that did it. Twilight was almost out of the kitchen, but Sunset didn't seem to dodge that huge piece of whip cream, and slipped, her arms flailing as she went flying forward, running straight into Twillight, knocking her to the ground.

Sunset fell straight onto Twilight, causing her to fall halfway down, then Sunset's body catching speed and- her lips fell straight on to Twilight's, and that was the last straw. They both it the floor with a thud. This was the most awkward situation to be in with Sunset. A former student of Celestia, a unicorn who crossed worlds and adapted to this one, the person that was now in between Twilight's thighs and lips pressed against hers.

"Aaah!" Twilight quickly untangled herself and got off of Sunset. "I'm sooo sorry, I didn't mean to, you know- Be in your way- Oooh! Ah! I'm so so so sorry!" Twilight put her hands over her face. "Please forgive me! I should have dodged that and-"

This was obviously the most awkward situation ever. But Sunset couldn't say anything because. She liked it. In fact she loved the sensation of Twilight on top of her, and- No. Sunset didn't like like Twilight, did she? She knew Flash Sentry wouldn't be happy if Twilight was taken, but... Sunset was still on the floor, and she put out her hand, as if for Twilight to take it.

And she did. She pulled Sunset up so that she was standing too, and smiled at her. They both clasped hands and stared at each other for a while. Twilight's heart exploded. She loved Sunset's smile. But she didn't like like her, you know. Soon Sunset spoke. "Maybe this time we should walk together so nobody falls." She said.

"Okay." Twilight said, trying to hold in a giggle. But why? Twilight didn't want to accept the fact that was creeping in her stomach. The two held each other's hands as they walked into the room where everybody was sleeping. They soon broke free and settled into their own 'beds'. Not so surprisingly, this time wasn't as hard for them to sleep. They were both out cold in a matter of seconds.


Twilight's eyes fluttered open at the sound of a beeping. She quickly got up out of her bag to find the source of the beeping. Rainbow's watch was emitting light in the dark room. Twilight grabbed for Rainbow's arm and pressed a random button that she hoped would turn the thing off.

It did. Luckily, nobody else had woken up. The screen of Rainbow's watch read: LOW BATTERY. Twilight face palmed. Why would the watch constantly beep when it has low battery of all things! Meh. The watch read 5:41 AM. Well, this sure was a long night.

Then Twilight realized something. She thought she remembered being with Sunset a couple hours ago, but no. That was just a dream. Twilight knew it. Why? Because... well... it just didn't seem realistic. What happened was merely what her mind wanted to happen. But her mind didn't want to kiss Sunset. Then again, maybe it wasn't a dream.

Twilight felt a wave of cold air blow very lightly at her face. She shivered. She looked around the room for a blanket. None. Then she spotted Sunset. Then she looked back at her sleeping bag. Then Sunset. Then back at her sleeping bag. Hmmm... Twilight jumped up out of her sleeping bag and softly shook Sunset Shimmer.

She kept her voice to a whisper. "Hey! Sunny... er- Sunset Shimmer! Mind if I..."

Sunset continued to snore, but her eyes were still open a sliver, looking at Twilight. She was muttering in her sleep.

"Yes! Nooo... Twilight baby come to bed please! I know I know... But-

Twilight cocked her head. She whispered again. "Sunny, can I move on the bed next to you?"

"Yea sure whatever..." Sunset groaned. She was clearly half-asleep. Meh, she still gave Twilight permission! Twilight carefully climbed onto Pinkie's bed and creeped over Sunset, barely slipping in the reasonable space between Sunset and Rainbow. She took some of the blanket off Sunset and onto her.

Sunset smiled, her eyes still closed. Twilight smiled back, as she snuggled up close to her- friend. Her good friend.

Friend.

Sunset's hand clasped Twilight's under the covers.

Friend.

Comments ( 17 )

yes..."friend"...

That was such a sweet story and what should've happened in the movie. Keep up the good work.

Yes Friend
Cause you know that's exactly what this story is all about with Sunset and Twilight
Being friends
no just no SunLight shipping all the way

I can see how this chapter and probably the rest of the story is going to be different from what I usually see how this part of the rainbow rocks scene goes in the fanfiction stories.
I really like this chapter, and I hope you produce even more great works !

6689798 Thanks, I will! :yay:

OMG this is adorable! They are great "friends".

Good job. Can't wait to read more.

Very cute; fluffy cute. I like the premise; expanding upon the night at Pinkie's house was something I'd been curious about ever since RR came out. I think each little moment was written pretty well, and it kept me interested enough to continue happily all the way through. There are a few little things that sort of break the mould, though; some errors in grammar and even general word placement obstruct the flow a few times throughout. Spelling errors are very few and far between, though. Have you considered having someone edit your writing for little mistakes and things that stick out? I think it's worth the extra bit of time it may take to have a final product that gets the audience immersed. Anyway, it's a cute little story, worthy of at least a thumbs up. :pinkiesmile: Thanks for writing, and I hope you keep working at it!

6731148 Yea, I'll definitely look it through, and if I can get an editor. Usually I just skim through it once for myself, and if anybody notices anything in the comments I'll consider getting somebody else to look it through for me. :derpyderp2: Thanks!

6731387 All you have to do to get an editor is ask. :twilightsmile: I'd be happy to help when I can, if you like.

6731387 i didn't mean to bother you, will there be a chapter or a sequel for this story, because i find this story very interesting, overall, you've done a good work!

7004996 I wasn't planning on it at first, but now that more than a couple people are expecting me to do it, I might just change my mind. If there is going to be anything like that, I know I'll start as soon as I can. Other than that, I'll keep you posted. :rainbowdetermined2:

6734239 Hey, I do need an editor. If you'd like you can do it. Just let me know.

This was adorably cute. It was really nice to read after reading something with drama which kind of stressed me out.

Oh Celestia! I love it!

The fact you need tell self repeatedly you only friend Sunset should say something.

"We really are luckier here." 

We really are lucky you're here

This was so cute & hilarious to read. :)

"We really are luckier here." Sunset smiled, opened Pinkie's fridge, revealing a bright light that Twilight's eyes weren't used to.

“... are lucky you’re here.” Sunset smiled,

Login or register to comment