• Published 12th Oct 2015
  • 2,283 Views, 72 Comments

Love Behind a Lie - Heavenly Quill



Crystal Prep Academy is a school where good students go to become great, and great students go to become the best. To bad they only become great by using the people around them as stepping stones. Is this really a good place for Heavenly Quill?

  • ...
4
 72
 2,283

Dinner with the Riches part 2

Quill nervously ate dinner with his eyes glued to the plate, afraid that any small glance or action would upset his wealthy hosts. It was actually working until he heard Mrs. Rich.

“So tell us Quill, what do your parents do? Aside from the spa work of course.”

“O-oh, well, my father is a foreman for the Canterlot Construction Company. His crew is the one that helped fix the damage to Canterlot High after that car swerved into it.”

Diamond Tiara looked at Quill for a moment before shaking her head and going back to her food. “Telling him is Sunset Shimmer’s business, not mine,” she thought to herself.

“My mom … erm … a-actually owns the spa,” Quill said, hoping that it didn't sound like he was bragging.

Zest’s eyes widened a little. “Whoa, that's pretty cool. But those are some high-paying jobs. Why do you take the public bus to school? You could afford a car I'm sure, and … didn’t you get into the school just on your grades? You could’ve bought your way in.”

Filthy Rich looked to Quill. “Indeed, boy, why not default on the money?”


Quill looked up at Filthy Rich. “I want to get through life using as little of my parents’ money as possible. It's not my money. I didn't do anything to earn it. I want to be recognized by my hard work and not by my parents’ money.”

Filthy Rich looked at Quill for a few moments. He could see that Quill’s demeanor had changed when he spoke. He actually made eye contact and he wasn't slouching. A smile formed on the man’s face. “That is admirable, boy. My entire family fortune was built on hard work since the moment our ancestors set foot on this land. Every penny was earned, not given. That's the way things should work.”

Diamond Tiara spoke up. “That’s why I’m going to Canterlot High instead of Crystal Prep. Or, it is now.”

Zest and Mrs. Rich both looked at Diamond Tiara as she spoke.

The girl went on. “I used to throw my parents’ name and money around to make myself look good in front of everyone, and it worked for a while … until I tried to run for class president. I found out that people respect effort more than money. See, a little while ago our class had an election for class president. I ran against another boy in our class called Pipsqueak. He promised that he would have the school improve all of the playground equipment we had. Of course I thought I could easily win by throwing my money and social status in people’s faces. When that didn't work, I tried bribery and blackmail. When we were told the results … no one voted for me. Not even my best friend Silver Spoon. That's when it dawned on me that I was doing things all wrong. I ran off in tears, but then these three girls that I always used to pick on came to help me even though I was so mean to them in the past. They talked me into going back and apologizing to everyone. It took a while to convince me, but I did, and when I did I found out that Pipsqueak couldn't keep his promises because the school didn't have the money to repair and improve all the playground equipment like he wanted. So … that when i decided to help him!”

Mrs. Rich smiled. “As it turns out, my little girl is a wonderful leader! She even asked us to donate money to help rebuild the playground and gym equipment. After we saw how much work she was putting in to help her friends, we donated what she needed that day. It was a very proud moment for us,” she said as she gave her daughter a hug.

Quill found himself smiling too. “That’s pretty cool that you did all that in such a short time. Not many people can turn themselves around like that.”

“Well, it wasn't all me. These three girls helped me out a lot. Even after I had been so mean to them, they still helped me learn. We’re all friends now and I’m glad people actually like me now for me,” she said with a proud smile.

A smile that was echoed on her father’s face. “We were too. I had heard what she was doing, but I’d always hoped she could learn the lesson herself. I've never been more proud of her.”

Diamond Tiara looked at Quill. “Sorry again … for that money comment. I'm still getting used to the whole ‘being nice’ thing. I didn’t know about all of what you said. If I did, I probably wouldn't have opened my mouth.”

“Don't beat yourself up about it Diamond Tiara. Really, it's okay. All is forgiven,” Quill said with a kind smile.

Filthy Rich smirked a bit. “Seems like we know what it takes to get you to drop that stutter, boy, I don't think you've spoken this clearly since you walked in. That’s what sharing common ground can do.”

Quill’s eyes widened as it dawned on him. He usually wasn't this comfortable around people outside of his house. He found himself looking back down nervously.

“Hey, no, none of that now. If you’re going to make a life of your own, you need to learn to look people in the eye and carry yourself with confidence, boy,” Filthy Rich said.

Quill straightened up quickly, afraid of upsetting Mr. Rich. “Y-yes sir!”

Filthy Rich smiled before looking over to Zest. “Is something wrong, sweetie? You haven’t said anything at all.”

Zest hadn’t made eye contact with anyone since Diamond Tiara began her story. She stood up from her chair. “It's getting late. I should take Quill home, dad.”

Filthy Rich frowned. “Don't tell me it’s the nonsense about Diamond Tiara staying at Canterlot High again. I thought we were past all of that.”

“I just don’t want his parents to worry, okay!?”

Diamond Tiara looked down sadly. Quill glanced at her. “This is just like back at the diner. Is this something that happens a lot here?” he thought to himself as he watched things unfold.


Mrs. Rich hugged her again as she looked at Zest with a clear look of concern.

Filthy Rich’s eyes narrowed at his daughter. “Fine, but this isn’t over, Lemon Zest. We will talk about this when you get back.”


Zest went over to Quill and pulled him out with her.

“AH! T-thanks for the food and t-the talk! I-I hope we can do this again sometime!”

Filthy Rich gave a small smile. “I think we will, boy.”


Zest got in her car and hit her head against the steering wheel in frustration.


Quill looked at her nervously. “I-is that something that happens a lot?”

“Why is she so obsessed with the friend bullshit! She could put all that work into Crystal Prep and make connections that’ll get her ahead of everyone! But no, she wastes her time at that stupid school with her ‘friends.’”

Quill looked down at her words.

Zest looked over. “No, that’s…. Ahh! Damn it!” She hit her head on the steering wheel again. “This was just supposed to be a stupid family dinner to make up for the diner stuff and now you’ve seen all that happen.”

“I'm not going to tell anyone what happened if that's what you mean. I would never do that to … a friend … if that's what we are.”

Zest looked at Quill with wide eyes. She could see the hurt on his face, the way his eyes began to tear up. “W-we are friends, Quill. I promise you that. I'm just … look, at Crystal Prep … it's all about knowing the right people to get ahead. Sometimes you have to work hard to get on their good graces, sometimes you get in through money, but either way it's so much easier to get a better life there than at Canterlot High. I want my little sister to live a good life like me, and that would be a lot easier at Crystal Prep. Her name would help her get ahead a lot easier.”


“Zest, that's not the point. She wants to make a name for herself … not ride on the fame of your father’s name. I can really respect that. I know that knowing the right people can get you ahead in life … but what if you don't want to default on other people helping you because of your name alone? What … what if you want to know they have your back because of what you’ve done and all the work you’ve done? I … I think I’d rather have a close friend than an indirect acquaintance. I mean, that’s why you hang out with the other Shadows, right?”

Zest looked at Quill for a solid few moments as she let his words sink in. Was that why she hung out with the others? Sour Sweet had been her best friend since they were kids, but the others? She shook her head and started up her car. “All you need to know is that we are friends Quill, okay?” She gave him a kind smile.

“O-okay Zest. I … I trust you.” He returned her smile as she drove back to his house. She was right, it was getting dark.


An hour later, Zest dropped Quill off in front of his house. “Here we go, see you tomorrow Quill,” she said as Quill got out of the car. As he did, she spoke up. “Tonight was fun, but next time you’re treating me to a meal, got it?” she said with a smirk.

Quill smiled and nodded. “Whenever you want to, I-I’ll make sure it's ready for you.”

“Well then, it's a date!” she said as she drove off, her face turning bright red at her words.

Quill watched her car drive off and his own face turned bright red. “D-date?” he asked himself as he headed inside his house. The moment he walked in he was almost knocked over as someone embraced him in a hug.

“Hey little brother!” Moondancer said as she looked at Quill. “Who was that girl? Your girlfriend? Dad said you were out with her.”

“Moondancer! I didn't know you were coming back today!” He looked away from her. “F-for the record … she’s just a new friend i made. Nothing more, nothing less!”

Moondancer ignored him and ruffled his hair. “My little brother coming out of his shell. And here I thought you’d have to do what I did and travel abroad to open up.”

Quill rolled his eyes before smiling. “Are you gonna tell me what you did while you were gone?”

“I will tomorrow. I just got back and i got a lot of jet lag to sleep off. I’ll fill you all in after you get back from school.”

“Can you at least tell me if Morning Roast is doing okay?”

“Hmm…. Well, she owns her own coffee chain in Phillydelphia, so there's that. There's also the fact she's opening one up here too. Buuuuut that’s for tomorrow!”

“That's not something you should make us wait to hear! She's my big sister too!”

“Yeah, but like I said, jet lag, I’m tired, and it's more fun this way. Plus, Mom and Dad are asleep already.” She hugged Quill again before giving him a warm smile. “I'm glad to be back, and I can’t wait to hear about your new school. Tomorrow we’ll catch up, I swear.”

Quill smiled a little and hugged her back. “I'm glad to have you back Moony.”

“Good night Snow White.”

The two siblings shared a laugh before heading to their rooms.


Meanwhile at the Canterlot Royal Airport, a tall woman with dark brown skin and cream white hair walked off a plane. She wore a light brown pant suit over a white dress shirt, both unbuttoned a bit to accommodate her large bust. She pushed her glasses over her light brown eyes and smiled as she headed into the airport. “Back at home at last. I can’t wait to see everyone again,” she said as she checked her phone. “Too late to just pop in at home. I suppose I can wait until tomorrow. Mother did say Quill started school. I'm sure it’ll be a wonderful surprise when he comes home and sees me!” she said to herself, getting odd looks from the people around her—looks that she paid no mind to as she collected her luggage and headed out to find a hotel. “Oh, these people are going to love my cafes! Probably won't take more than a few months to buy out all the competition and rake in all the money. This’ll be my easiest city yet!”


Zest laid her head on her pillow as she sighed. “Well, you just had dinner with a guy you just met with your family. I’m sure that's not going to raise any eyebrows when the girls find out.” She ran her hands through her hair before looking up at the ceiling. “I’ll … just make sure they don't find out. Yeah, that's it! It won't be that hard to get Quill to stay quiet about it. While I'm at it, I bet Quill could be an actual asset to us. Sure, he needs a little grooming to be a real Shadowbolt, but with enough time I won't even need to worry about the girls finding out about it.” She smiled to herself as she closed her eyes. “When I’m done he’ll be the perfect Shadowbolt. Right in time for the Friendship Games. Heh, right in time to crush those Wonderdolts.” She drifted off to sleep with a smile on her face.

Comments ( 2 )
CSC

Zest laid her head on her pillow as she sighed. “Well, you just had dinner with a guy you just met with your family. I’m sure that's not going to raise any eyebrows when the girls find out.” She ran her hands through her hair before looking up at the ceiling. “I’ll … just make sure they don't find out. Yeah, that's it! It won't be that hard to get Quill to stay quiet about it. While I'm at it, I bet Quill could be an actual asset to us. Sure, he needs a little grooming to be a real Shadowbolt, but with enough time I won't even need to worry about the girls finding out about it.” She smiled to herself as she closed her eyes. “When I’m done he’ll be the perfect Shadowbolt. Right in time for the Friendship Games. Heh, right in time to crush those Wonderdolts.” She drifted off to sleep with a smile on her face.

I wouldn’t say that. Shadowbitch


Great to see this get updated. Keep going!

Sweet, a new chapter! I'm glad to see that Quill managed to stop stuttering around the right people. He has confidence in him and I'm sure with Lemon's help that he'll gain more confidence in himself.

Login or register to comment