• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 11,437 Views, 3,294 Comments

Sons of Damas - Tatsurou



Shining Armor grows up alongside Jak, working with him and Daxter to save the world.

  • ...
39
 3,294
 11,437

PreviousChapters Next
Precursor: Pony Perils

As he finished laughing, Shining lifted his hoof to his brow, wiping away some sweat. "So...why's it so hot here?" he asked in confusion.

The others turned to blink at him. "Didn't you notice where you were?" Samos asked waspishly.

"Was a little focuth-focused," Shining corrected himself, stepping outside to look around. His jaw hung open as he took in his surroundings. The entirety of the village protected by the Red Sage was in the crater of an active volcano. "Oh," he muttered, starting to stagger a bit. "T...that's why it's...so hot..." His eyes rolled up in his head as he collapsed onto his side.


When he came to, he found Keira leaning over him, and the air around him felt incredibly cool. "W...what happened?" he asked in confusion.

"Heat stroke," Keira replied worriedly. "You just collapsed from the heat of the volcanic crater. Daxter's the one who figured it out, since he wasn't doing much better in the heat. Figured out that your fur coat was killing you. We managed to get you up here to Snowy Mountain, and Dad went back to Sandover for some nutrient rich drinks to help you restore what you've lost through sweating and the like." She hung her head. "Shining...this is all my fault. You've been working your magic so hard - whether in regular combat, manipulating Eco, or with my gadgets - and I didn't stop to think what effect that might have on your body, especially with the heat you had to go through at every point. I'm so sorry..."

Shining managed to push himself upright, lifting a snow covered hoof to her cheek. "Hey, it's not your fault," he chided. "You didn't ask me to push myself that hard. I did that all on my own. And I'm fine now, really." He tried to push himself to his hooves.

"Oh no you don't!" Keira scolded, pushing him back down. "You're staying right here until Jak and Daxter have opened the teleport gate at the other end of the Lava Tubes."

"What?" Shining demanded angrily.

"Daddy's orders," Keira insisted. "The rest of this area outside the Snowy Mountain is just too hot for you, Shining. If you try to function in there, you'll drop dead. It's only the constant metabolization of stray Eco into his body that lets Jak maintain his body temperature, but you metabolize the Eco through your magic, which doesn't do it."

Shining sighed in a mix of frustration and resignation. "Could I at least see what I can do around here in Snowy Mountain?"

"Jak and Daxter cleared here first," Keira replied. "They wanted to make sure it'd be safe to leave us here."

Shining buried his face in the snow, grumbling. He then blinked as he looked up at Keira. "You're still dressed for Sandover," he pointed out.

"Yup," Keira replied, reaching into her bag. "Daddy's not the only one who went back for supplies." She held out some food and drink for him.

"Why aren't you freezing?" he asked as he dug in.

Smirking, Keira tugged at a metal ring around her neck. "Personal temperature regulator," she replied. "Powered by a mixture of red and blue Eco, it helps maintain body temperature in a variety of environments. While it doesn't have much of a battery life, it'll keep me warm until we're ready to go catch up to the others, and the one I made you will keep you cool on the way to the portal."

"Clever," Shining praised as he continued refreshing himself with food, drink, and the occasional bite of pure mountain snow.


Later on, Jak sent a message to Keira that he and Daxter were about to take the Zoomer through the Lava Tubes, having gathered all the Orbs and Power Cells from the region. At this point, Jak had been operating on the assumption that, with enough Power Cells, Keira could take something that Gol and Maia had built in their Citadel and turn it against them. With the message received, Keira snapped the personal temperature regulator around Shining's neck and led him back to the hut where the warp gate was.

While waiting for the next gate to open, the pair glanced around. "Shouldn't Samos be back from Sandover by now?" Shining asked worriedly.

"He really should," Keira murmured, biting her bottom lip. "I'm going to go check on him." She quickly hopped through the warp gate. When she hopped back, she looked horrified. "Daddy's not there!" she gasped out. "And his hut is a mess, just like the other sages' huts! I think Gol and Maia kidnapped him like the others!"

"Then at least we know where to look for him, if that's the case," Shining stated blandly.

"How can you be so calm?" Keira demanded frantically. "Lurker armies continue to grow across the land, the sages have been kidnapped, Gol and Maia have gathered enough Eco to complete their terrible plan, and to stop them you, Jak, and Daxter are going to have to fight your way through their citadel!"

"I'm calm because Samos being captured is the only part of that that's news," Shining replied, keeping his voice calm in the hopes of calming down Keira. "We were already going to be breaking into the Citadel to rescue the sages and stop Gol and Maia, which will stop the Lurker armies. And we were already going to rescue the sages. Now we just have four to rescue instead of three."

The calm, self assured tone Shining used managed to ease Keira's panic. "You're sure you can pull it off?" she asked worriedly.

Shining scratched his chin. "As is, I'm not so sure. I know I'll be up to it, since I'm rested. But Jak's been working himself just as hard as me, and he hasn't had a chance to rest. He could use some...extra encouragement."

Keira scratched her head as she thought about that. "Hmm..." Pulling out pen and paper, she quickly wrote something down before showing it to Shining. "Think this'll do it?"

Taking the note, Shining read silently.

Jak,

If you manage to pull this off, you'll have saved us all. You'll be a real hero.

And the hero always gets a suitable reward from the lady fair. ...just don't tell Daddy I wrote that.
Keira.

Shining grinned widely. "Yep, that'll do it. I'll be sure he gets this when the time is right." He slipped the note into his bag.

As the final warp gate opened, Shining joined his brother and best friend for the final assault.

PreviousChapters Next