• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 11,425 Views, 3,294 Comments

Sons of Damas - Tatsurou



Shining Armor grows up alongside Jak, working with him and Daxter to save the world.

  • ...
39
 3,294
 11,425

PreviousChapters Next
XCR: The Departure

It had been a year since the defeat of the Dark Makers. Elder and the other ottsels had gone back to their base of operations deep within the planet to investigate Shining's origins at Jak's request. Haven and Spargus continued to expand their control over the ever growing Oasis that the Wasteland was swiftly becoming. Other cities on the continent had taken notice of the slowly changing area, and some had tried to take action towards claiming the resources made available. The former Wastelanders, however, were quite possessive of their new paradise amongst the sands, and were loath to allow anyone to take any part of it from them. They had made that point quite firmly, and such assaults had ceased...allowing the forces of both cities to start expanding their influence into the rest of the still settled lands.

A new sport had arisen amongst the cities with the end of non-human attacks on civilization: Combat Racing. Similar to Zoomer Racing, this sport involved racing vehicles around pre-defined tracks, and was a competition that occurred in Kras City, the closest of the still standing cities to Haven and Spargus, and a wretched hive of scum and villainy. As Combat Racing also had a rather high fatality rate - due to very few rules regarding what racers weren't allowed to do to get ahead on the track - none of those in Haven or Spargus had any interest in participating.

These matters were all of little interest to Jak, Shining, and Daxter as they continued to push themselves to be at their peak, as well as to keep pushing their peak higher and higher. However, an unexpected message from out of the recent past brought the matters to their attention in an unexpected way, leading to them to meeting up with Ashelin, Samos, Keira, Torn, and Sig to discuss something most unexpected.

"So you all got these invitations, too?" Keira asked as they gathered. "To Kras City, to hear the reading of Krew's will?"

"Yup," Jak confirmed, leaning back in his chair. "To be honest, if you hadn't received one too, Keira, I'd have just tossed it. I don't want anything from that fat bastard."

"I don't know," Shining muttered. "While I agree about your assessment of his character and not wanting anything from him, he was an arms dealer. Do you really want to risk anything he left in that will falling into the hands of potential enemies? Especially enemies we don't know?"

"While that's a good point," Sig replied, "I don't like that they came to all of us like this. Krew was never that straight forward. I smell a trap of some sort. I mean, this is everyone here with any sort of connection to him. That's the sort of thing that makes me suspicious."

"Agreed," Samos confirmed. "At the same time...the safety of the whole Oasis could be at stake. We can't just ignore it."

"But we can't walk in blind, either," Ashelin insisted. "We need to be careful."

"Perhaps not all of us should go?" Torn suggested. "If it's a trap to take us out, they won't spring it unless we're all inside, since they won't get another chance to catch us off guard."

"I'll stay behind," Sig insisted. "Until Jak takes the throne, I'm Damas' primary enforcer in Spargus. I have to keep things in line."

Jak sighed. "Sounds like that covers everything." He stared up at the ceiling. "So much for relaxing..."

"Not quite everything," Daxter spoke up, dropping a bag of tiny white capsules on the table between them. "Everyone going in take some of these with you. Put one in anything you eat or drink while we're there."

"What are they?" Shining asked curiously, levitating a few of them to himself.

"Pure Light Eco capsules," Daxter explained. "Elder taught me how to make them. When dropped in food or drink, they'll burst and instantly purify them of any known harmful elements, including most poisons. The only exception is if the taint is actual Dark Eco, in which case you'd need to funnel in an equal amount."

"Nice, Dax!" Jak praised, grabbing a handful. "You're getting really good at controlling your powers."

"We probably shouldn't say anything about this, though," Samos pointed out as he, like everyone else, took their own handful of capsules. "After all, if they know they can't poison us, they might try something more direct."

"We could handle that if it comes," Jak countered, though there wasn't much vitriol in his words.

"No, but this could be an opportunity," Ashelin pointed out. "Kras City is the focus of criminal activity on the continent. While we're there, we might be able to learn who is in charge of the various gangs, and neutralize the entire network if we play our cards right."

"Though from what we've been able to determine," Torn added, "most of the attention of anyone in Kras City is on the Combat Racing Championships."

"So it sounds like it's all going to be on me again," Jak groaned out. "After all, I'm the best racer we've got."

"Not without your top flight mechanic, you're not!" Keira sniped, playfully elbowing him in the ribs.

"Don't I know it," Jak chuckled. He sighed sadly. "Not really looking forward that much to getting back into the action..."

"Look on the bright side," Samos offered. "If you pull this off, the world's one step closer to being peaceful and safe. One more responsibility seen to."

Jak and Keira glanced at each other, then glanced away blushing, resulting in laughter all around the table.

PreviousChapters Next