• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 11,421 Views, 3,294 Comments

Sons of Damas - Tatsurou



Shining Armor grows up alongside Jak, working with him and Daxter to save the world.

  • ...
39
 3,294
 11,421

PreviousChapters Next
Brink: Beyond the Horizon

Once the group returned one strong, Shining floated the Coordinate Sphere over to Keira to install in the Eco Seeker. She did, however, give Meg an odd look and Jak a firm one, which made Meg chuckle. Shining decided to smooth things over fast before somebody said something wrong. "Keira, this is Megara, the Blue Sage. Meg, this is Keira, the Green Sage."

Meg's eyes widened. "Well, looks like I found myself another sister, then."

"Skyheed has her 'sisters', the Yellow and Red Sages," Jak explained quickly when Keira showed confusion.

"Looks like we have yet another reason to take him down, then," Keira mused, installing the Coordinate Sphere in the Eco Seeker. It then projected the arrow again, pointing solidly in a single direction.

Phoenix frowned as he tracked the line of sight. "It's pointing back to the research rig," he murmured softly.

"We must have missed something while we were there, then," Jak concluded. "Was there anything in that area we didn't explore?"

Phoenix blinked. "Well, the rig was built over strange formations, but nothing could penetrate what was below the surface-"

"Precursors!" Keira concluded firmly. "It must have been one of their facilities from long ago, back when they were building the planet. That's got to be where the artifact we're missing is. We have to go back and dig deeper."

"We should be cautious," Phoenix warned. "If the Aeropans detect our return..."

"Then we head to the point in the smaller fliers, with this ship keeping a safe distance," Jak concluded firmly.


The smaller ship flew out over a massive vortex in the water. The signal came from the bottom. "This is going to be tricky," Jak murmured as he glanced down. "One wrong turn, and we could crash into the edge and the ship would get torn apart."

"Then we just need to make sure we don't turn wrong," Shining muttered firmly.

"We've got some repair patches if we take bad damage," Daxter offered hopefully. "That's a bit of a safety margin, right?"

"We'll just have to find out," Jak stated as he took the ship into the vortex.

The inside of the vortex was a narrow green tunnel, barely large enough for a single ship to fly down. Before long, the dark green faded to pale green, with debris floating in the passage which now felt more like a wormhole than a whirlpool. As they flew, faint outlines of ships flew alongside, shooting at them.

"Just when we thought we'd seen everything," Daxter moaned out. "Ghost pirates."

"I hope we never see anything like that again," Shining grumbled as they blasted their way past both the ghost ships and floating mines scattered along the tunnel in the water.

Finally, near the bottom of the vortex, a large stone wall could be seen with a spherical Precursor Artifact glowing in the center. Making a sweeping flight, Jak steered the craft right up to the wall while Shining seized the sphere in his magic. They then turned and flew right back out of the vortex, having a much clearer path to the surface.

As they arrived, however, the Behemoth pulled into view and opened fire, using Dark Eco weapons to turn the floating wreckage above the vortex into bombs. Jak struggled to take each out before they could reach the Pirate Flagship, but they just kept coming.

Shining frowned as he watched this happen...and then an idea came to him. "Jak, do you think you can fly near one of these wrecked fighters?" he asked. "I...have a crazy idea."

"What sort of crazy idea?" Jak asked worriedly.

"The sort that might involve you pulling me back from the brink of madness," Shining explained. "I think my magic might be able to keep me from exploding if I tap Dark Eco...but I'll be counting on your Dark Command to reign me in."

Nodding, Jak steered close to one of the wrecked fighters. "I've got your back, bro."

Smiling, Shining teleported to the wrecked fighter, landing amongst its Dark Eco charged bulk. With a roar, he drew the energy into himself, and once more changed into Black Knight. As his eyes glowed, every wreck in the area started to glow. Dark Eco crystals took shape around the broken wrecks, restoring their original shape as they turned on the Behemoth, swirling around the larger vessel like gnats, shooting at power nacelle and weapon systems alike. Each of the crafts roared with the howls of ghosts as shadows lashed from the crystal constructs, striking the enemy fighters from the sky.

Jak could only stare in amazement as one of the construct fighters led a deliberate suicide charge into the Behemoth's hanger, self destructing to wreck the facility so the large ship could dispatch no more fighters. "Wow...what the heck is this?"

"Looks like Shining found a new power for Black Knight," Daxter murmured as he watched the armada that had been constructed of the corpses of ships. "I'm gonna call it Army of Darkness."

"Certainly fits," Jak mused as the Behemoth desperately deployed a new weapon, drone ships equipped with Eco Lasers, only for the construct ships to slam into the drones and break them...and then Dark Eco Crystals took shape on the drones, causing them to turn on the Behemoth. As the ones in charge of that ship saw they were badly - impossibly - outgunned now, they turned to flee. As the construct ships pursued, Jak realized what Shining had meant. Flying close to the ship he'd left him on, he reached out with Dark Command. "...Ar-Mar..."

Just barely, he felt the connection, and then the response. "...J...Jak...?"

As Jak focused on the link, the Army of Darkness slowly collapsed, and Shining - once more back in his normal form - teleported onto their ship. He promptly turned, stuck his head out the window, and vomited into the vortex below, blood, Green Eco, and Dark Eco mixed with the bile. "N...Not doing that again any time soon..."

"I should hope not," Jak agreed. "That was...terrifying..." Turning, he flew back towards the Pirate ship.

Author's Note:

New Dark Eco/Magic ability:

Army of Darkness: Unleashing the true power of Dark Eco and Magic, Shining - as Black Knight - uses Dark Eco Crystals to repair broken ships, robots, or even broken corpses and raise them as soldiers. A combination of Dark Eco, Eco Construct, and necromancy. Requires a great deal of broken/dead to be used effectively, as the constructed soldiers will be far less creative in combat than living ones.

PreviousChapters Next