• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 11,426 Views, 3,294 Comments

Sons of Damas - Tatsurou



Shining Armor grows up alongside Jak, working with him and Daxter to save the world.

  • ...
39
 3,294
 11,426

PreviousChapters Next
Spargus: Monsters and Men

The Black Knight grinned widely, showing all his teeth as he pursued his target down the long tunnel, the Dark Corona surrounding him and deflecting weapons fire as Veger desperately shot back at him to try and keep him at bay. Several pillars erupted out the sides of the long tunnel as The Black Knight approached, but they shattered as the Dark Corona slammed into them. Still, they slowed him down somewhat, even if they didn't hurt him, and he didn't want to be slowed down. He didn't want Veger to get away.

Channeling Blue Eco from his reserves through his Darkness, he unleashed a wave of purple lightning bolts ahead of him, crashing through the pillars that had already erupted and damaging the slots of those that hadn't, causing them to explode as the mechanisms activated. Seeing the effectiveness of the Dark Shock, The Black Knight chuckled wickedly. "Nowhere to run, Veger!" he called out as he saw his prey desperately trying to accelerate his vehicle. "Nowhere to hide..."


As Jak and Daxter stared after the transformed equine, Damas pushed himself somewhat upright. "We...have to go after him," he growled out, struggling to make his body move.

"Your wound isn't even healed yet!" Daxter cried out. "We only just have the damage to your liver contained! If you move now, you'll tear it open again-"

"I am already dead!" Damas snapped out. "I freely accept death for the sake of my people and world! I will not lay idly by for a slow death, if choosing a quick one can save my son from himself!"

"Dad, it's just his Dark mode, like mine," Jak told him. "Once he works it out of his system, he'll change back-"

"No he won't!" Damas snapped. "Did your voice change that much when you transformed? Did it turn your nature inside out?" As Jak stared in confusion, Damas continued. "The mark upon his flank...when I first took him in, I asked Onin about it. She couldn't tell me much, but she told me it symbolized his inner nature. She also told me he shared the abilities you inherited to biologically metabolize Eco, and to be especially wary if any attempts to do so altered that mark." He tried to push himself up, but his legs would not move. "Jak, I need you to be my legs."

Nodding, Jak ducked under Damas' shoulder, bracing him and lifting him up, one hand under the opposite shoulder and the other over his wound. Daxter perched on Damas' other shoulder, pouring his Light Eco into Damas to keep him whole as long as possible even as Damas used his staff as a crutch. "But what does that mean?" Jak asked worriedly as they reached the other vehicle.

"It means right now, he isn't your brother, isn't my son," Damas growled out as Jak activated the controls. "And if we don't reach him before he kills Veger, we will lose him to the Dark Eco inside him...forever."

"So...you're saying to get Shining back, we have to save Veger," Daxter clarified as the vehicle shot down the now incredibly smooth tunnel without any obstacles. "Umm...are we sure this Black Knight fellow's really all that bad?"

At that moment, they passed a gruesome sight to one side of the tunnel. Apparently, a Dark Trooper had attempted to get in The Black Knight's way for some reason. Black energy raced across its twisted body, its limbs bent backwards and tied in knots, its skin turned inside out, a loop of its own entrails wrapped around its neck and mouth, stifling its screams of agony as the energy that had twisted it would not let it die...

"Yes," Damas whispered, his face pale from more than blood loss. "Yes we are."


The Black Knight pursued Veger out of the tunnel and into a wide, spherical space filled with endlessly rotating rings tracking the movement of celestial bodies, with a massive Precursor Statue in the center, a floating platform levitating before it...not through the use of Eco, as one might have expected, but because the platform and statue rested at the exact center of the planet's gravitational field, so it had nowhere to fall. This was the center of the planet, the focal point of the worlds natural fields.

All this was lost on The Black Knight as he lunged, pinning Veger to the platform beneath him, his sharp hoof digging deep into Veger's chest. He heard his victim's scream of pain and reveled in it. There was another voice, but The Black Knight heeded it not. "Are you ready to die, Veger?" The Black Knight hissed, ripping his hoof out of Veger's flesh and licking the blood from the tip. "Such a sweet taste...time for more..." He brought his hoof down towards his victim's heart...but a voice stopped him.

"Ar-Mar! Enough!"

The authority in that voice tore through the madness of the Dark Eco racing through his mind. Turning, he saw Jak, Daxter, and Damas approaching him. "...D...Dad...?" Shining gasped out, struggling through the miasma in his own mind and heart. He staggered back from Veger.

"My King, thank you!" Veger began desperately. "If you hadn't arrived when you did, there's no telling what this monster would have-"

His words were forever silenced as Damas' staff struck his skull, smashing it open like a melon against the platform. Jak, Daxter, and Shining all stared, stunned. "Ar-Mar," Damas began firmly, his tone instructing. "If you must kill, do so with a calm heart and a clear mind. Never allow your rage to control you and drive you to such things...or it will destroy you."

Shining shivered and nodded as he stared at Veger's dead body, his own shape slowly reverting to normal.

"Well done, warriors," the voice of the statue intoned. "You have saved one of your own from falling down the path of the Dark Makers, and arrived with plenty of time to save this world. Now, place the Eco Sphere in the receptacle."

Nodding, Jak pulled out the Sphere - resembling a giant Power Cell, and composed of all the Eco Crystals they'd collected - into the waiting receptacle. It immediately began to spin, and two large devices began to energize.

"It will take some time for the weapon to fully charge, but we have time enough in hand," the voice continued. An image of glowing light in the shape of the Precursor who had come out of the Stone appeared before them. "You have proven your worth, warriors. A place awaits you amongst us, if you so desire." A beam of light shot down, illuminating a place upon the platform.

Jak stared up at it for a time...and Damas collapsed to his side. "Dad!" Jak called out, terrified. Shining rushed to his side as well.

"Look!" Daxter called out to the statue. "I'm sure this 'place amongst you' is some great honor or what not, but as you can see, Jak and Shining have a lot to do out here still! If you really want to reward them, maybe you could fix their Dad? I can only do so much for a liver puncture and broken spine on trial and error, you know!"

The image hesitated. "There is something we can do for him," the voice replied. "But...all of you must understand what it is, and what it means. We have time enough to explain."

The image vanished. The front of the statue slowly opened, and a chamber filled with light was slowly revealed. Inside...were five ottsels in white robes, three facing the group and two keeping their eyes on the controls within the chamber. Of the three facing, the middle one was larger than the others and somewhat chubby. The one to the left was rail thin, and wearing a strange cap on its head that covered its eyes. The one to the right was much smaller, and somehow dainty. All three had the same coloration as Daxter, though the two at the controls were pale gray and dark purple in coloration and refused to look at the group.

The chubby one held a device up to his mouth. "We have much," he began, the device distorting his voice into that of the statue. He then lowered it. "To explain to you," he continued, his voice gentler and older, reminiscent of when Samos dressed up as the Solstice Saint to deliver gifts around Sandover.

Damas, Jak, Shining, and Daxter all stared, struggling to wrap their minds around what they were seeing, their jaws hanging open in total stupefaction. Damas was the first to find his voice. "...what the fuck?" he demanded angrily.

"As I said," the chubby ottsel repeated, "we have much to explain..."

Author's Note:

For those wondering, this bit about Shining's Dark transformation only applies because he doesn't have proper balance within himself between Dark and Light Eco, since he's activated a Dark Form but not a Light Form. When he eventually unlocks his Light Form, he'll gain full control over his Dark Form. Until then, he risks losing control every time he activates it, and if he kills anyone when he's not in control, he'll be trapped eternally.

PreviousChapters Next