• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 11,435 Views, 3,294 Comments

Sons of Damas - Tatsurou



Shining Armor grows up alongside Jak, working with him and Daxter to save the world.

  • ...
39
 3,294
 11,435

PreviousChapters Next
Camp Out

"Could somebody explain something to me?" Daxter asked as he, Jak, Shining, and Keira hefted packs to their backs.

"If we can," Shining replied. "Not sure if you'll understand it, though."

"Ha ha, very funny," Daxter sniped back. "I was just wondering why we were going camping in the Forbidden Jungle."

"Dad already explained that," Keira explained. "He wants the four of us to get more in tune with nature, since you three spend all your time playing and I spend all my time inventing."

"Oh, no, I get that," Daxter countered. "Heck, camping sounds like great fun. I meant, why are we camping in the Forbidden Jungle. I mean, last I checked, it was Forbidden."

"That's right," Jak replied. "No one can enter the Forbidden Jungle without the express permission of the sages."

"So why are we going camping there?" Daxter demanded in frustration.

"Because I'm going with you!" Samos called out, walking into the room with his pack slung across his back. "What's taking you youngsters so long?"

Daxter groaned softly. "Well, there goes the fun," he grunted out.


In the Forbidden Jungle, Samos led the group to a clearing deep in the jungle before marking the spot out with his staff. "Alright. This is where we make camp," he stated firmly. "Keira, Daxter, you two start setting the camp up. Jak, Shining, gather some dead wood - mind, dead only - to make a fire with and for anything else we need. No matter what you do, don't cut any live wood, and don't damage any plants. Also, be careful of Lurkers. They aren't that active, but they have been seen here and there."

"Don't worry," Jak waved off the concern. "We'll be fine."

"Nothing to worry about," Shining added, lifting his hooves one by one. "Keira finally perfected these, so I'm a lot more maneuverable now."

"Then get some good practice in!" Samos called out.

"I should have figured out a way to give you a pair soon, Jak!" Keira called out as the pair of brothers headed into the jungle to look for dead wood.

"How's she going to manage that?" Jak asked Shining. "I mean, your boots work by converting your 'magic' into Blue Eco." Samos had started referring to the things Shining did with the energy from his horn as 'magic', and was quite insistent that everyone call it that for some reason. Shining and Jak had decided not to question it. "I don't have magic."

"She's experimenting with Eco Generators," Shining explained. "She can't make them too large yet, or able to generate much Eco, but a small Eco Crystal in the right machinery components can create a recycling Eco field to generate small amounts of Eco. With luck, just enough to let you jump in midair...and maybe even hover."

Jak whistled in appreciation. "That's going to be sweet to experience." He scratched his chin. "Is she going to make a pair for Daxter, too?"

"Nope, just you," Shining replied. "The two of us are the only ones she makes tech for. Hadn't you noticed?"

Jak shrugged noncommittally. "I hadn't really thought about it."

"Still don't believe she's sweet on you?" Shining teased.

"Still want your horn shoved up your rear?" Jak snapped back.

Shining laughed. "You're going to have to face and accept it eventually, Jak. You've got yourself a girlfriend."

"Okay, I know Daxter's just a perv," Jak pointed out as they gathered some wood. "But why are you so insistent on pushing this 'me and Keira' thing? What's your interest?"

Shining was silent for a time as he levitated some dead sticks onto his back. "How many unicorns do you know?" he asked finally.

"Just you," Jak pointed out.

"So no females, then?"

Jak closed his eyes as he realized what Shining was saying. "You just want me to tell you what it's like? To...be in that kinda relationship?"

"Well, with all the questions I have about myself unanswered, I doubt if I'll ever experience it," Shining indicated grumpily.

Jak rested a hand on his equine brother's shoulder. "Don't worry, Armor. You'll find someone someday. You're kind, sweet, good natured, and caring. And some people are freaks."

Shining couldn't help but snort at that. "Real helpful there, Jak," he countered, punching his brother playfully on the waist, the highest he could easily reach.

At that moment, the bushes around them rustled as several Lurkers lunged out towards them. The pair quickly spun back to back, using the sticks of wood they'd gathered as makeshift weapons to keep the Lurkers back.

As two approached Jak from either side, he turned to face one. Shining shifted to his front hooves, bucking out with both hind legs like pistons, sending the Lurker flying into a nearby bundle of vines which promptly wrapped around the Lurker and trapped it. Jak backed Shining up by swinging his makeshift weapon at a Lurker that was approaching him from the front.

"We need to get some altitude or something," Jak gasped out as they struggled to keep the Lurkers back. "Up a tree or-"

"Get on my back," Shining said quickly.

Confused but desperate, Jak quickly mounted Shining, clinging to his mane with one hand. Shining focused, his magic gathering in his horn and his boots. With a shout, he lunged forward, a wall of energy forming in front of him as he charged forward, slamming through several Lurkers at high speed as he charged back to the campsite.

Before long, they made it back to camp, and they both paused to catch their breath. "Lurkers!" Jak gasped out.

"Ambush!" Shining added.

Samos nodded, beckoning them into the camp. "That's why part of the trip out here is to have the two of you start unarmed combat training," he explained.

"Why only the two of them?" Daxter demanded.

"Because Keira can easily build weapons to back her up, and your limbs have all the strength of an overcooked noodle," Samos stated bluntly. He then turned back to Jak and Shining. "Did you remember the firewood?"

Both promptly fell over backwards, Shining for some reason letting out a bleat like a goat.

PreviousChapters Next