• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 11,434 Views, 3,294 Comments

Sons of Damas - Tatsurou



Shining Armor grows up alongside Jak, working with him and Daxter to save the world.

  • ...
39
 3,294
 11,434

PreviousChapters Next
XCR: Advancement

Before long, the first Grand Prix event came around, a series of races right in a row, where the total score at the end of the races was what determined the outcome, and only the winner was added to the list of racers that had a chance at the Championship Race. Jak and his crew were confident of their victory, even if they were facing off against RU-86 again. And as they expected, their cooperative tactics proved successful once again, especially as the first two were circuit races where their tactics excelled, and the last a simple race to the finish down a steep hill where they were able to stretch out across the track and stop anyone from getting ahead of them.

When they returned, they found Daxter laughing his tail off. "What's so funny?" Shining asked curiously.

"I was..." Daxter struggled through his laughter. "I was..."

"Breathe, Dax," Jak told him calmly, patting him on the back.

Daxter got himself under control. "I was watching Pecker's report, like I'm supposed to," Daxter explained. "After Blitz said his bit about the race, and ominously suggesting he needed to keep an eye on you, Jak, Pecker made a comment about someone manipulating the race for some big underground bet...and Blitz blew up on him, cussing him out so much that they had to cut the signal to give the beeper a break!" He burst into laughter again.

Samos stroked his chin. "Hmm...did it look like he was angry about Pecker showing him up?" he asked curiously.

"Definitely not," Daxter countered. "He didn't get angry about Pecker having a scoop. He got angry about what the scoop was. He was pissed!"

"Your theory about Blitz' involvement seems to be gaining more ground," Jak murmured softly. "Guess we'll just have to keep an eye on him.


Later, a new broadcast covered the details of the first qualifier event for the next Grand Prix. Though the actual details of the change weren't covered well, it did lead to a rather interesting discussion between Blitz and Pecker regarding perception of Jak's abilities, ending in Pecker flipping Blitz off for being an ass.

The new event involved racing around an open field and collecting Precursor Artifacts that appeared. The race ran five minutes, or until one racer collected 25 artifacts. Jak found an unusual advantage in this race as his training had resulted in him being able to sense the energies of Precursor Artifacts, so he was able to steer his racer to where the Artifacts would appear even before they did. Between that and the team's cooperative racing - with everyone else guarding artifacts that Jak was going for from other racers until Jak arrived to collect it - the race was in the bag as Jak grabbed his 25th artifact with a full minute left.

The next was a solo timed race to the finish, with pickups along the track that could stop the timer for a few seconds. In order to clear the challenge, Jak had to cross the finish line before his timer run out. Though he fully expected his car to explode if he failed, he did not fail, so he didn't find out.

Another new solo course Jak had to face involved racing around a track while smashing into incredibly weak cars that came down the track the other way towards him, which exploded when hit. Each one was worth a different amount of points, and his goal was to build up a high enough score in a short period of time along the twisting, winding course. The only major obstacle was the red cars, which damaged Jak's racer if he hit them. Through careful driving at high speeds, Jak was able to come through with a gold medal.

The big point that brought attention as they continued through their races was that Blitz had begun actively preventing Pecker from saying anything on the news broadcasts, as though trying to prevent him from giving his investigative reports. This especially became clear when Jak was on the show for an 'interview', alongside Razor. Once Jak saw he wouldn't be learning anything new, he decided to mostly ignore things, since he was pretty certain he could predict whatever Razor or Blitz would say.

Eventually, Jak became the focus of Blitz' attention. "Tell me Jak, how does it feel to know either you or Razor will be dead by season's end?"

Before Blitz could continue, Jak responded. "That it's a good thing I didn't bother getting to know Razor well enough to care about his upcoming funeral," he spat out curtly.

"Oh ho!" Blitz crowed as Razor growled. "Looks like the new guy's got some balls on him! Razor, what do you have to say to that?"

"I look forward to seeing you on the track, before I put you six feet under!" Razor growled out. "I will see you destroyed...personally!"

Jak chuckled softly. "Well well, Razor, I'm impressed. It seems that behind all that cigarette smoke and haughtiness, there might be an actual racer after all."

Razor stepped forward threateningly. "And behind all that insufferable smarm is a dead man!" he snarled angrily.

Before Razor could react, Jak's hand was around his throat, claws digging into flesh as Jak's eyes briefly shifted as he channeled his Dark Eco into them. "Razor, you couldn't fathom the number of dead men behind me..." he hissed out, glaring into Razor's eyes as he gleefully watched the arrogance drain away to be replaced by fear. "One more won't make much difference to me..."

"Whoa now!" Blitz spoke up, getting between them and separating them as Jak returned to normal. "Let's save that for the track!"

Author's Note:

Scene at the end inspired by this comment.

PreviousChapters Next