• Published 14th Sep 2015
  • 11,435 Views, 3,294 Comments

Sons of Damas - Tatsurou



Shining Armor grows up alongside Jak, working with him and Daxter to save the world.

  • ...
39
 3,294
 11,435

PreviousChapters Next
Spargus: Circle

As Jak and the others left Damas' tower, they received an urgent communication from Samos. "Jak, we have a problem. Readings indicate the Dark Maker ship has raised its shields."

Jak growled under his breath. "Errol must have learned about our plan and warned them," he responded.

"Likely," Samos confirmed. "It may be enough to protect the ship from the Planetary Defense System once we manage to activate it."

"Any ideas how to get around them?" Shining asked curiously.

"Well, dark creatures have taken over Haven Forest," Samos explained, "so I'm guessing the Astro-Viewer might have more secrets to share. Be careful, though."

"Aren't we always?" Daxter asked jokingly. He then quickly added, "Don't answer that."

"We're on our way," Jak confirmed, breaking contact and heading for the transport.


The trip to Haven Forest proved no more difficult than it had ever been. However, the forest itself was a very changed landscape. Large creatures that were half-flora, half-fauna gripped the large rocks and stone walls of the forest, guiding dark energies through the entire area and powering turrets manned by Dark Troopers. The group's normal weapons unfortunately didn't effect the large flowering constructs. "Any ideas?" Jak asked the others.

"Think you could control one of the turrets?" Daxter suggested. "Think it could probably damage them? I mean, the Troopers are being careful not to aim at them..."

"You two gonna keep the Troopers off my back?" Jak clarified.

"You know it!" Shining confirmed.

The tactic proved surprisingly effective, at least until the flowers started spitting out winged Troopers which attacked from the air. Shining and Daxter at first had difficulty dealing with them...until Shining got the idea to throw Daxter at them. The method worked surprisingly well, especially as Daxter proved adept at leaping from one to another to dig in with his Light Blades.

After leaving the first two flowers smoking ruins, the trio made their way to the next turret, where the tactics they'd developed proved just as effective, allowing them to take out three more before they had to regroup, the sheer number of troops attacking them overwhelming them so they had to abandon the turret before it exploded.

"Okay, direct assault isn't going to work here," Shining grumbled. "We need a distraction of some sort so Jak can get to the last turret with enough time to take out the last three flowers. Any ideas?"

Jak and Daxter thought hard, hiding behind their cover while they waited for the Troopers to start searching another part of the forest. "They seem to be focused on the Astro Viewer," Daxter muttered. "If we could get someone up there..." He paused, noticing the way the others were looking at him. Glancing back and forth, he sighed. "Alright. Just not by the tail this time."

Nodding, Jak gripped Daxter around the middle as he gauged distances. "...gonna need some extra power for this..." he muttered, grabbing his Scatter Gun Ammo.

"You pulled Eco in before," Shining murmured. "Why not do it now?"

"It's based on what Eco's in the environment," Jak replied. "This forest only has Green and Dark."

"How do you know that?" Daxter asked as Jak chugged the Red Eco.

"...not sure, but I do," Jak replied as he pulled back and hurled Daxter at the Astro Viewer.

The ottsel let out a loud scream as he flew all the way to the top, immediately drawing all attention of the Dark Troopers. Once they were distracted, Shining teleported Jak to the last turret, allowing him to take out the remaining flowers. This caused the Dark Troopers to collapse and disappear as their power source was cut off. With that done, the platforms once more rose to create the path to the Astro Viewer. Jak and Shining climbed up, smirking as they saw Daxter glowering at them. "Next time, throw Shining!" he insisted. "Or better yet, have him teleport!"

"But you're far noisier than I could ever be!" Shining countered, immediately initiating a mock tussle between the pair.

Jak, meanwhile, placed the artifact they'd gotten from Seem in a waiting slot on the Astro Viewer. The Astro Viewer then shifted, once more locking onto the Dark Maker ship. When Jak peered through this time, however, the device glowed, and Jak flinched, feeling a probe against his mind. "I...I'm being uplinked..." he groaned out.

Daxter and Shining immediately went to his side, trying to support him. "Jak?" Daxter asked worriedly. "You okay, buddy?"

"Everything alright, bro?" Shining asked.

"I'm...I'm uplinked to the ship's systems..." Jak groaned out. "I can...control one of their mechs..."

"So...what's the plan?" Daxter asked worriedly.

"Play to my strengths..." Jak grunted back. "...and...smash everything!"

"You go, bro!" Shining cheered, bracing himself against Jak's legs so Jak could relax his body.

Daxter and Shining both stayed silent, staying close to Jak as he controlled the mech far up on the Dark Maker ship. Every so often, he'd flinch or spasm, and the pair would do what they could to help him. Shining nuzzled against his side, trying to still the shakes. Daxter, meanwhile, poured as much Light Eco into Jak as he dared, wanting to help stabilize his body without disrupting the link to the mech.

A blazing flash of light forced Jak back from the Astro Viewer, and he clutched at his face. "...ow..."

"You okay, Jak?" Daxter asked worriedly.

"Yeah...I'm okay..." Jak rubbed at his eyes, staring up at the sky. "But...I think it worked."

"Good," Shining replied. "Now let's get you back into town so you can rest up a bit."

"I'd take a bet on him getting a chance," Daxter joked, though not in good humor.

Author's Note:

This chapter, the two before it, and the one following, are following a certain theme in titles.

I wonder if any of my readers will spot the theme before next chapter.

PreviousChapters Next